Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
75k/yr sounds pretty good. would be a pay raise for me. how many toxic gases and dusts do you have to inhale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

RealityWarCriminal posted:

75k/yr sounds pretty good. would be a pay raise for me. how many toxic gases and dusts do you have to inhale?

Get this, you don't even have to do any work.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

triple sulk posted:

"it depends" is objectively the correct answer for all of them and that's not good enough

it sucks. i'm trying to stay optimistic because I've had some really really good interviews so i know the work is out there, but the current trend of "a wall of recruiters" makes it discouraging to keep looking.

my cover letters are basically "please look at my work examples for gently caress's sake that's all that matters!" then i spend an hour talking to someone anyways explaining how a computer works.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

19 o'clock posted:

it sucks. i'm trying to stay optimistic because I've had some really really good interviews so i know the work is out there, but the current trend of "a wall of recruiters" makes it discouraging to keep looking.

my cover letters are basically "please look at my work examples for gently caress's sake that's all that matters!" then i spend an hour talking to someone anyways explaining how a computer works.

yeah same here, i have case study examples too, there are always things that could be better/i could have done better, but software development is a disaster no matter where you are, and you just kinda do what you can with what you're given

that isn't good enough i guess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Acelerion posted:

I used to design/qualify equipment for 3000m operation and the kind of dramatic hull failure you think about is pretty rare. Its far more likely that O-rings or other seals and feedthroughs were wrong sized / fatigued / or snagged a lip and cut during installation. These kinds of failures can start as small leaks that quickly become a 5000psi pressure washer blast and may actually just slowly fill the tube with freezing water. What Im saying is that its very likely these people knew they hosed up.
yeah but were any of the pressure vessels you worked on made of carbon fiber, which fails under compression catastrophically?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think we're being too pessimistic. Like, what if one occupant of the Titanic submersible killed the others? That would give them a few more days of oxygen, right? That'd be my move right off the bat. If they rescue you, you can make up whatever story you want.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i had one interview with a pm who gave a hypothetical case study scenario of "executive wants [feature] because clients asked for it" and i'm supposed to put down thoughts/questions etc about doing it or not doing it (hint: no matter what, we were gonna say yes in this exercise). so i had questions in no particular order like

- how much are the customers worth? do we have sales and usage data to derive signals from? if they're a very tiny customer, it might be more of a wishlist item than a six figure one
- what are the use cases for them?
- do we have previous asks?
- where does this fit into the company roadmap?
- what are major technical tradeoffs/how difficult on paper would it be to implement?
- is this something about the ask that stems from user error and doesn't need to exist with proper guidance/docs?
- are there existing features that are higher priority than this or would be more impactful to focus on first?

nothing but evasive "i don't know" type responses to poo poo like sales. like you're a loving saas or whatever, you should know exactly how much is being used and how much you're charging. this is important

i was eventually told i lacked structure, whereas it's a completely ambiguous bullshit situation and maybe i'm just trying to understand and gather information to help make a decision rather than jump into an answer of "sure go build this thing because the higher up asked me"

every company expects a one size fits all approach and i loathe the inability to take one's time and ask questions even if that's the entire point of the exercise

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

let me guess, the record of my credit card debt ISNT one of them :mad:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sub company got nearly half a mill from ppp lol

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1671928642094473216

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

For once it was a good investment

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oopsie I'm so silly it was a mistake :nyoron:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ma i married a tuna posted:

For once it was a good investment

$150k/Billionaire? That's a drat good deal. I'd take that deal.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Still can't loving believe they forgave ppp loans

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if BAH in the PNW is below the going rate for the area given inflation. Isn't BAH capped?

I think so. it looked doable though, it’s public on the JBLM website. on the other hand if one is used to other parts of the country the market here is probably a shock.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

It's actually very easy to believe that.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

triple sulk posted:

i was eventually told i lacked structure, whereas it's a completely ambiguous bullshit situation and maybe i'm just trying to understand and gather information to help make a decision rather than jump into an answer of "sure go build this thing because the higher up asked me"

every company expects a one size fits all approach and i loathe the inability to take one's time and ask questions even if that's the entire point of the exercise

the answer you were supposed to give was "yes" because that means numbers go up (good for business)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

it was always just a scheme to channel public money into the pockets of business tyrants

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

so's selling tickets to a mass grave for 250k a pop

:agreed:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's better to think of the program as bribes to small business tyrants and local elites to go along with covid restrictions until the vaccine could be rolled out

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

It's better to think of the program as bribes to small business tyrants and local elites to go along with covid restrictions until the vaccine could be rolled out

which almost none of them did anyway, most businesses in PA were open again by June and restaurant dining rooms reopened by August 2020.

in rural parts of the state they never closed anything anyway because the cops wouldn't enforce any of it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nothus posted:

what covid restrictions

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m sure a hefty sum of the PPP money made its way back into political party donations

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
and into the housing markets

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

bawfuls posted:

yeah but were any of the pressure vessels you worked on made of carbon fiber, which fails under compression catastrophically?

Lol hell no did they actually do that?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i had one interview with a pm who gave a hypothetical case study scenario of "executive wants [feature] because clients asked for it" and i'm supposed to put down thoughts/questions etc about doing it or not doing it (hint: no matter what, we were gonna say yes in this exercise). so i had questions in no particular order like

- how much are the customers worth? do we have sales and usage data to derive signals from? if they're a very tiny customer, it might be more of a wishlist item than a six figure one
- what are the use cases for them?
- do we have previous asks?
- where does this fit into the company roadmap?
- what are major technical tradeoffs/how difficult on paper would it be to implement?
- is this something about the ask that stems from user error and doesn't need to exist with proper guidance/docs?
- are there existing features that are higher priority than this or would be more impactful to focus on first?

nothing but evasive "i don't know" type responses to poo poo like sales. like you're a loving saas or whatever, you should know exactly how much is being used and how much you're charging. this is important

interviews are about figuring out what the hiring manager wants you to do and say and then parroting that exactly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

it didn’t even work ahahah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

i'd be ok with around 75k or so if push came to shove but those wages just don't really seem to exist from the postings i see

loving recruiters and hiring managers won't even answer me in linkedin despite supposedly trying to hire!
have you tried asking for 60

Lacrosse posted:

A friend is a SRE who got laid off and was just griping about how he got an offer but it was 50% less than he was making and it took every fiber of my being to not tell him to cry some more
it owns that 2 decades of liberal media elite screaming LEARN2CODE and bragging about indoor water slides n nerf gun fights all day at work for 300k/yr while trying to rail as many people through college2code as possible has led toward the predictable labor glut of computer touchers that corpo's can now hire them for a fraction of what they would have had to pay 3 years ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Acelerion posted:

yeah that was their big "innovation" and of course a big part of the safety concerns raised by their engineers internally

Apr 7, 2003

Acelerion posted:

lol yeah, they made it out of carbon fiber because it was cheaper than making a steel pressure vessel of the same size.

Apr 7, 2003

"Sure glad I saved $300K" - CEO guy, one second before being compressed down to the size of a can of cat food

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

yeah that was their big "innovation" and of course a big part of the safety concerns raised by their engineers internally

Didn't they fire those engineers

Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Didn't they fire those engineers

They fired the guy who said it was crazy to take a window rated for 1300 meters down to 4000 meters.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol yeah, they made it out of carbon fiber because it was cheaper than making a steel pressure vessel of the same size.

there are a number of proven materials that work, for example Triton uses a specialized acrylic dome for its hab space

but the Oceangate guys decided to be on the "bleeding edge" and "achieve weight and cost savings" by using novel materials, with extremely predictable results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is no need to go down in person lol

just send a camera down Jesus Christ

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

But then you can't tell the other guys at the country club that you've been to the Titanic.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

the point is not to see it in person or even see it at all: the point is to be able to say you've seen it in person as one of the only <100 people on the planet.

its the same thing with mt everest. it isn't even particularly fun or "challenging" to climb compared to much less dangerous mountains, the point is to say you've done it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
drat beaten

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I absolutely get the appeal of going down in person but lol at doing it in that thing. There are proven vehicles that have been going to those depths for decades. It’s a solved problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Meanwhile Gabe Newell is poking around in Challenger Deep, if I don't at least see the Titanic what the hell am I going to talk about down at the clubhouse?