Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

there are a number of proven materials that work, for example Triton uses a specialized acrylic dome for its hab space

but the Oceangate guys decided to be on the "bleeding edge" and "achieve weight and cost savings" by using novel materials, with extremely predictable results
it is so loving funny that the standard here is a huge acrylic dome with excellent visibility and the "smart tech innovation" was a tiny loving window (that wasn't strong enough anyway) you have to sit on a poop bucket to look through one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

new Matt Levine column had this excerpt about Mark Zuckerberg owning too much Facebook stock while discussing this lawsuit https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rtlZ3gG6TRXY/v0

Matt Levine posted:

There is a conflict of interest between Facebook’s executives and directors and its shareholders, because the executives and directors own too much Facebook stock. If they owned less Facebook stock and more stock in other companies, their interests would be more aligned with those of their other shareholders, and they’d manage Facebook for the benefit of the whole stock market rather than to maximize its own value.

I think it's a good point and just evidence of how dumb this system is. If every company is choosing selfishly in the prisoner's dilemma then we don't get the optimal outcome.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

there is no need to go down in person lol

just send a camera down Jesus Christ

then you'd never get the chance to crawl over three random dudes to squint out of a tiny glass hole at a dark blob while someone takes a poo poo behind you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I absolutely get the appeal of going down in person but lol at doing it in that thing. There are proven vehicles that have been going to those depths for decades. It’s a solved problem.

Gabe Newell's sub has been tested to beyond earthly limits

quote:

Anyway, enough history, let’s take a look at this submersible itself, because I want to start talking about how cool this thing is. While most undersea vessels carry depth ratings, designed to signify the extent of their intended safe operational use (the Titan’s, for example, is 13000 feet, or 4000 metres) the Bakunawa—formerly known as the Limiting Factor—has been rated “full ocean depth” because not only has it literally been to the bottom of the ocean, five times, it has been pressure tested for depths of 14,000m, which is 3000m deeper than the deepest point in the ocean, just to be safe.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gaben ftw. gunna buy some more Steam games right now to support gaben

summer steam sale is almost here :swoon:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

bawfuls posted:

yeah that was their big "innovation" and of course a big part of the safety concerns raised by their engineers internally
Yeah but the weight savings were massive. That's an important consideration when you're designing things that are supposed to sink.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

interviews are about figuring out what the hiring manager wants you to do and say and then parroting that exactly

yeah it's kind of hard when it isn't necessarily the hiring manager and maybe i can't read people well enough. rip me i guess

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

its the same thing with mt everest. it isn't even particularly fun or "challenging" to climb compared to much less dangerous mountains, the point is to say you've done it.

Can you imagine how many more dead tourists there would be if there were particularly technical sections and Sherpas didn't go out to install all the ladders at the start of the season?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there are ladders ????

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

there are ladders ????

they started putting ladders in after several tourists had a hard time figuring out how to jump high enough to get to the ledge

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

it owns that 2 decades of liberal media elite screaming LEARN2CODE and bragging about indoor water slides n nerf gun fights all day at work for 300k/yr while trying to rail as many people through college2code as possible has led toward the predictable labor glut of computer touchers that corpo's can now hire them for a fraction of what they would have had to pay 3 years ago.

You say that like LEARN2CODE wasn't a deliberate push to dilute labor power in tech

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

You say that like LEARN2CODE wasn't a deliberate push to dilute labor power in tech
that was my point: it was a deliberate push and everyone knew it except the rubes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably should not be jumping on Everest

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cat botherer posted:

Yeah but the weight savings were massive. That's an important consideration when you're designing things that are supposed to sink.

he needed low weight as part of his bullshit buisness plan

his plan was to launch in all weather to maximize profit and eliminate scrubbed dives, so he made a submerged buoyant platform to dock the sub to on the support ship, lower it all together into the water deep enough to avoid the rough waves and launch/recieve the sub at the end.

the platform weighed a lot so a proper sub made of heavy poo poo would necessitate a bigger boat with a bigger crane than he had.

so naturally he cut weight on the sub until it was a deathtrap and gave it a couple highly stressful runs to really weaken the hell out of it before this weekend

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

there are ladders ????
yes

most everyone does it on the backs of underpaid indigenous sherpas to carry all their poo poo for them. that's not to say it still isn't a lot of hard work and a hard feat, but a lot of is dumb luck and using massive wage discrepancies to make it possible for someone

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Consumers absolutely loving hating AI generated products helps a whole lot.
Since when does consumers hating something stop companies from shoving it down our throats if it's financially beneficial to them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah its not lucrative enough to only have people capable of climbing a sheer glacier face on your everest expedition so you need to make it so anyone can think they can do it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gabe Newell's sub has been tested to beyond earthly limits

Exactly! With Planes and Rockets you have to consider weight as one of your largest considerations so you have no choice but to have pretty small margins for safety and maybe you're flying at 1.1 the of the failure point of some component because otherwise you aren't going to space. Submersibles can't totally ignore weight but it isn't anywhere near as important as it is for stuff that's going airborne so there is no reason at all not to have everything designed and certified for depths far beyond where you plan to go. And we know how to do it for submersibles it's just a question of cost and you're all billionaires!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PerniciousKnid posted:

Since when does consumers hating something stop companies from shoving it down our throats if it's financially beneficial to them?

It's bad for sales, and given that apparently there's a whole bunch of delays with SI, this may just be another data point of 'AI is a sign of rot in an outfit'.

Also:
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/1671549150620536832

IIRC, there was a bunch of delays and other poo poo with SI?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

FINALLY someone interviewed big jim (and he basically just shits on the guy and his sub the whole time)

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1671965549381689533

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/KrisWolfheart/status/1671973473743151136

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Deep sea exploration seems like a perfect situation where just sending an ROV down with good cameras, and sitting one's dumb rear end down in a chair with a VR headset, would make great sense...

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

isn't that basically just an admission that the studio execs and producers who greenlight projects don't need to exist?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Goons built a better submarine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

Didn't they fire those engineers

lol they fired the guy who said "this is unsafe" but took the time to say he's not an engineer which is more damning if an non-engineer is tasked with safety of the product and says it's not safe.

also, i have huge doubts it's "cheaper" to produce a carbon fiber hull for this thing than steel. they probably did it to keep it lightweight and now it's even more lightweight

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

insane clown pussy posted:

isn't that basically just an admission that the studio execs and producers who greenlight projects don't need to exist?

you’re fired

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I'm just loving seeing the libertarian ideals that made all this happen literally sink to the ocean floor in thousands of billionaire chum-coated pieces

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

and now it's even more lightweight

It didn't lose any weight, the weight is just distributed in a non-ideal fashion across the seabed

Apr 7, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

also, i have huge doubts it's "cheaper" to produce a carbon fiber hull for this thing than steel. they probably did it to keep it lightweight

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-titanic-sub-was-made-cheapand-that-may-have-doomed-it

Rush told a materials industry rag in 2017 that he used carbon fiber because it was more cost-effective

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Acelerion posted:

Lol hell no did they actually do that?

Yeah the whole thing except the hatch was carbon fiber

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Why didn't they just make the whole thing out of hatches

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Didn't they fire those engineers

Fired and sued

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Then I retract my previous statements

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's neat to think about the physics of an implosion at those depths.

The hull acts like a piston on a diesel motor, compressing the air bubble at supersonic speeds, crushing everything in its path, and superheating the air due to the speed mentioned earlier and friction. Anything organic is instantly vaporized in less than 1ms to ash.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Only suitable to depths of 13000 feet

Triton's titanic depth capable submersibles have no external viewports because putting one on a vehicle that can dive full ocean depth is an insane compromise not worth making

13,000 or 1,300?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Its' worth making if the entire purpose of the vessel is tourism.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hmm i wonder how much this syntactic foam stuff costs...

i guess it's possible you could lay down enough carbon on a giant mandrel and autoclave it cheaper than make the hull with one-off titanium parts but i have my doubts. maybe its only cheaper in the sense that you are willing to cut every corner possible

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-titanic-sub-was-made-cheapand-that-may-have-doomed-it

Rush told a materials industry rag in 2017 that he used carbon fiber because it was more cost-effective

He was probably trying to save on the amount of oxygen and fuel he had to bring on trips by reducing the operational footprint

One can assume his plan was to save a lot of money over many repeat trips, illustrating that he did not speak to anyone about the pros and cons of carbon fiber prior to having this done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FlapYoJacks posted:

13,000 or 1,300?

13000, realized what I was saying pretty quick which is why I edited it. Lmao this bubble dome thing can make the trip but the sub couldn't