Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

:stonklol:

Did the Navy know about this? Holy poo poo what was the point of not telling anyone for 3 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
What's the fine for littering on a protected maritime grave site?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

how many layers of :psyduck: are we into now?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

smellmycheese posted:

lmao how loving deep does the rabbit hole go?

actually n/m I know how deep it's roughly 4km below sea level.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Again I don't think it's necessary to link to Oil London's Twitter, where he's also advertising his upcoming book about how transitioning is child abuse. Like I get that it's a very concise explanation of how an implosion would kill someone so fast they'd never even notice it, but maybe just copy and paraphrase it like you're copying someone's homework?

edit: I'm a dumbass who couldn't read his name right but I don't have enough respect to fix it

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 22, 2023

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
can we use those rescue boats to save some refugees and poo poo

it's what the billionaires would have wanted and i know this because i am a psychic who can speak with the dead

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

there were no audio comms with the sub, how would they hear the implosion? highly doubt that sound would propagate (audibly to somebody on a ship or something) to the surface from 13k ft if they mean they were just listening from a boat

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

zedprime posted:

It's hitting temperatures and pressures that it's probably not worth talking about chemical reactions as trivial as oxygen that's reacting with people as much as the contents of the sub hitting temperatures liberating them of all of their chemical bonds and condensing their plasma into ocean salts and simple aminos moments later.

goddamn

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Instantaneous

They never knew it happened

Typical dynamic pressure history for an underwater implosion event.

"crump"

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

holefoods posted:

even if it did work, how much advance warning could it feasibly give?

Aren't these alarms just meant to give enough of a warning in larger vessels for one last desperate scramble to try and seal off the ruptured compartments with bulkhead hatches, so that there's enough unflooded breathing space while you wait for the rescue? What good are they when you're occupying the only space between two welded bathtubs with no way to escape?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

yeah stop posting olli london twitters thanks

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Did the Navy know about this? Holy poo poo what was the point of not telling anyone for 3 days?

Lol just wasted the time of all those rescue teams.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Blitter posted:

Typical dynamic pressure history for an underwater implosion event.

"crump"

I...

I.. don't know how to read this. :eng99:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zedprime posted:

It's hitting temperatures and pressures that it's probably not worth talking about chemical reactions as trivial as oxygen that's reacting with people as much as the contents of the sub hitting temperatures liberating them of all of their chemical bonds and condensing their plasma into ocean salts and simple aminos moments later.

I really don't think that's the case.

The air is super-hot, but it takes time for heat to conduct from the air into a solid object. You can put your hand into a hot oven and your hand isn't instantly cooked. Wave your hand through an open flame, the fire is even hotter than the oven but in the shorter time you're still fine. Get compressed in an imploding sub... even hotter, but it's over in microseconds.

Like, do that compression cylinder demo video youtube above with a bit of beef fat instead of cotton fluff and I very much doubt it lights on fire.

The physical impact and rupture is gonna leave everything very trashed, so still no recoverable bodies. But they weren't vaporized.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Splorange posted:

how many layers of :psyduck: are we into now?

- $250,000 a ticket
- A cheap Bluetooth Logitech controller prone to disconnects and failures.
- Tiny bolts holding the hatch in place.
- Using carbon fiber for the hull and not titanium.
- The acrylic porthole was only rated for 1,500 meters.
- Firing (and suing!) the safety engineer for refusing to certify the sub.
- Refusing to x-ray the carbon fiber after pressure testing.
- On one of the excursions, one of the impellors was installed backward.
They "fixed" it by using the controller at a 90-degree angle.
- The CEO refused to hire industry experts and wanted "new innovative blood."
- The CEO removed audio contact with the support vessel because it was too noisy.
- The support vessel knew they imploded for three days without telling anyone.
- PPP loan forgiveness.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

:siren:BREAKING NEWS the coastguard has sent pictures confirming body recovery:siren:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

smellmycheese posted:

Yup. Of course they did

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1671984858715897856

Exiro
Mar 13, 2007
Moooooo!
Pretty sure the Navy knew. Wasn't there a ship capable of a theoretical rescue being held up in Europe?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Klyith posted:

The air is super-hot, but it takes time for heat to conduct from the air into a solid object. You can put your hand into a hot oven and your hand isn't instantly cooked. Wave your hand through an open flame, the fire is even hotter than the oven but in the shorter time you're still fine. Get compressed in an imploding sub... even hotter, but it's over in microseconds.

Like, do that compression cylinder demo video youtube above with a bit of beef fat instead of cotton fluff and I very much doubt it lights on fire.

The physical impact and rupture is gonna leave everything very trashed, so still no recoverable bodies. But they weren't vaporized.

I think it’s more the shell of the thing slamming into them at the speed of sound vaporized them more than the air

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I really want to play an underwater Kerbal Space Program now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573090/Stormworks_Build_and_Rescue/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ethanol posted:

there were no audio comms with the sub, how would they hear the implosion? highly doubt that sound would propagate (audibly to somebody on a ship or something) to the surface from 13k ft if they mean they were just listening from a boat

They imploded at 1,300 feet and that sound wave would absolutely be heard at those depths.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Aren't these alarms just meant to give enough of a warning in larger vessels for one last desperate scramble to try and seal off the ruptured compartments with bulkhead hatches, so that there's enough unflooded breathing space while you wait for the rescue? What good are they when you're occupying the only space between two welded bathtubs with no way to escape?

there are no alarms like that on a normal sub. it's a complete joke to think you can monitor hull integrity like that. because everything important happens in milliseconds as explained. highly loaded up composite frames such as a aircraft are extensively tested and analyzed every 3 years using stuff like ultrasonics to find stress fractures, subsurface hairline cracks.. extremely small deformations a stress strain sensor would not pick up. This is very expensive and requires very knowledgeable people to do the work. I like to think of as paving a road, throwing down a single hair, paving over it, and then trying to detect it later.

edit: don't quote me on the 3 years interval

FlapYoJacks posted:

They imploded at 1,300 feet and that sound wave would absolutely be heard at those depths.
oh that's way higher than I thought. embarrassing, couldn't' even make it down all the way before imploding

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Exiro posted:

Pretty sure the Navy knew. Wasn't there a ship capable of a theoretical rescue being held up in Europe?

The rescue ship with the experienced crew and barometric chamber arrived on site this morning.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I want to know if OceanGate is offering refunds for the death voyage or if they’re going to be like “lol buyer beware”

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

SalTheBard posted:

That probably would've been a nice thing to tell everyone you know...4 loving days ago.

That would of put a lid on 4 days of content tho.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Why don't they just make the plane the same material as the black box

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TulliusCicero posted:

If true somebody is about to lose a lot of money.
E: it's possible they knew but since it needed to be confirmed over hearsay the running story was they're just looking for them.

Exiro
Mar 13, 2007
Moooooo!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The rescue ship with the experienced crew and barometric chamber arrived on site this morning.

Then we're back to this being even more stupid and wasteful then it already was. Thanks I must have missed that catching up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
move fast, break things (submarines, bones, soft tissues)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

it's a great day to celebrate the start of summer and that you didn't pay $250,000 to get smooshed to death

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Klyith posted:

You also get a nice mechanical mixing to homogenate from the pressure wave at which point the contents are free to seek the same temperature as the compressing bulk air.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i wonder if oceangate had insurance

who would insure this poo poo?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

OMFG FURRY posted:

oh lol oceangate gonna get sued into oblivion

you can't sue a dead man!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grey Cat posted:

SIR SIR, will you be sending microscopes down to recover the individual point in space they were crammed into?

given that they briefly experienced the temperature and pressure of the sun, just bring up some more of titanic’s coal and label each lump a person

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Witeldram posted:

Lol @ the person in the press conference asking if they were gonna try recovering their bodies

You could bargain with the crabs to give the indigestible parts back.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Grey Cat posted:

If true somebody is about to lose a lot of money.
E: it's possible they knew but since it needed to be confirmed over hearsay the running story was they're just looking for them.

Again, I will reiterate that Oceangate's primary financial asset is in pieces at the bottom of the sea and their CEO has been forcibly disintegrated into the tides. Outside of the fees for this trip and the three or so others (which the funds from may not even exist since they apparently had to rebuild the hull due to it breaking at one point) that have been mentioned what can they even get out of suing?

Also, the knowledge that the boat knew it imploded puts that tweet by the Oceangate exec in a new light. "I'm going to take a nap and I expect results from the government to bail us out of this or names will be named." comes off a lot more conniving in light of that knowledge, assuming they knew.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
only the Oceangate Titan reduces an entire billionaire to a soup-like homogenate in 30 milliseconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Lets call this fiasco Oceangate