Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Open the Josh gates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

If I died because my dad guilted me into joining his stupid submarine club and then the company called me a “brave explorer” I’d be seething.

they were all briefly seething tbh

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Issuing a correction to my last post you do not in fact have to hand it to Logitech

My wireless mouse from Logitech has irreversibly stopped working after they made me update the dongle, so they sure know their peripherals. Speaking of which when that main inventor at Oceanghast was showing off the interior of his doomed diving bell in the video, the only thruster control interface I could see were the two tablets on swivels, which I assume were running some sort of generic-brand android and a homebrew app for piloting the thing with a BT 3.0 paired gaming joystick. And just the thought of this would make me sprint away from their underwater iron maiden as fast as possible.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

#Oceansgate #Titanic #Imploded

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kamrat posted:

Couldn't you do the same thing with a wired controller in that small of a space

Someone was bound to trip on the wire while going for the potty, diving head first through the window.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

That DICK! posted:

i mean, it was reported. its on the ding dongs who died for not googling it. nobody cared about a tin can that could hilariously kill billionaires until it did so

America seems wild ngl

If these guys were operating as a 'tour operator' you'd think they would have had to have licenses, or insurance, or be registered somewhere, it doesn’t make sense

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
^^^^ international waters, what can you do. its basically a wild west. as long as you dont murder people then nobody's really gonna do anything about it

just watched an interview with bob ballard and he said this is the first deep sea submersible diving vehicle ever lost since they started doing these dives in 1960

I'm guessing he's excluding navy subs which sink all the time but idk bob ballard said it not me

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Buce posted:

i hate that boats are always called "she/her" it's so loving lame. but also, the chuds who always refer to their boats/cars/guns as "her" are super mad about pronouns lol

its so when poo poo goes wrong you can call it A Bitch my friend

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

For gently caress sake, here we go

"I have come across shocking information that will expose the deep evil and corruption within the highest reaches of the Democratic Party, but first I will take a vacation to Newfoundland and get onto a submarine made out of old electronics sourced from a Circuit City store closing sale to go and see the world's most famous shipwreck. I'll release all the terrible proof on 8kun when I get back."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ahhh for just one time
I would sink near the Titanic
In a carbon fiber tube
They told me not to use

Tracing one cold line
Down into the deep Atlantic
And then the whole internet laughed at meeee

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

The delta-p tape is real

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

If I died because my dad guilted me into joining his stupid submarine club and then the company called me a “brave explorer” I’d be seathing.

ftfy

I'm always glad people don't suffer when they pass but man, what a stupid thing to do.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

3 days paid to gently caress around on a pointless task? boss is on vacation? yes please

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://twitter.com/FredTaming/status/1671257627207274496?t=Lumf45JhbDiVL1gmLHK_2A&s=19

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
...and nothing of value was lost.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

What were the final moments of the sub people? Now that we know how they died, do we know if they might have seen it happening or was it more likely instantaneous?

There were apparently experimental hull stability warning systems built in, so they might have had a bit of a warning in the form of a light or a beep, but a fired employee said it wouldn't give any actionable amount of time, and nothing was communicated before all contact immediately stopped. From reading this thread it doesn't sound like a slow collapse at that depth is possible.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 22, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Chewbecca posted:

America seems wild ngl

If these guys were operating as a 'tour operator' you'd think they would have had to have licenses, or insurance, or be registered somewhere, it doesn’t make sense

buddy we won the revolutioanry war. we dont have to do poo poo

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

That probably would've been a nice thing to tell everyone you know...4 loving days ago.

I had a funny feeling they knew about this for a while, but I didn't think they would waste so much time and effort. Turns out I might have been wrong about that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

"I have come across shocking information that will expose the deep evil and corruption within the highest reaches of the Democratic Party, but first I will take a vacation to Newfoundland and get onto a submarine made out of old electronics sourced from a Circuit City store closing sale to go and see the world's most famous shipwreck. I'll release all the terrible proof on 8kun when I get back."

checks out

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fansy posted:

There were apparently experimental hull stability warning systems built in, so they might have had a bit of a warning in the form of a light or a beep, but a fired employee said it wouldn't give any actionable amount of time, and nothing was communicated before all contact immediately stopped.

They set it up so that the warning went off milliseconds before the sub imploded. So yeah, literally just a filler feature so they can say to unwitting rubes "See? The sub is safe and we have redundancies (like bringing multiple logitech gaming controllers) in place!" at best.

This whole thing is just so ramshackle it's hard to believe.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I bet the bolts connecting the hatch to the sub body weren't even galvanized or stainless steel.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

By Azura by Azura by Azura!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-days-ago-6844cb12

Wee fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 22, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Cosmik Debris posted:

^^^^ international waters, what can you do. its basically a wild west. as long as you dont murder people then nobody's really gonna do anything about it

just watched an interview with bob ballard and he said this is the first deep sea submersible diving vehicle ever lost since they started doing these dives in 1960

I'm guessing he's excluding navy subs which sink all the time but idk bob ballard said it not me

I think James Cameron referenced that also, I believe he said no fatalities until today. Failures, but no fatalities. But James Cameron might have said it, I definitely didnt

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cosmik Debris posted:

Submarines don't go nearly that deep, for modern subs 400-500m seems to be the limit.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:fuckoff:

What the gently caress was all this for?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Called it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

For gently caress sake, here we go

Who knew George Soros had an aquatic Illuminati division

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

TulliusCicero posted:

we just got 4 straight days of lols, and you're complaining about a little bit of government spending? money isn't even real.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't trust the wsj for poo poo, why would the navy start listening right after they lost comms if the people the comms were going to didn't report the sub missing for another 8 hours?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Oh maybe that’s actually why they just got remote subs out there this morning and didn’t scramble even faster.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

we just got 4 straight days of lols, and you're complaining about a little bit of government spending? money isn't even real.

The navy could have saved some actual alive people, and not covered some chud company's rear end for four days

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not a materials scientist/engineer, but wouldn't you run some physical fatigue simulations before you build a hull out of a previously never used material? Or do repeated pressure stress tests with the materials in a lab? Or with a miniature in the actual ocean? Like, what made the guy believe a reusable carbon fiber submarine is actually feasible?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TulliusCicero posted:

remember balloon boy? :smug:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

That DICK! posted:

buddy we won the revolutioanry war. we dont have to do poo poo

Remind me not to do tourist stuff in America lol

I still remember the massive deal of 2 Anerican tourists (sorry you guys) who were unintentionally left on the Great Barrier Reef after a Scuba Diving trip. There was huge media coverage of it at the time!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“I’m going to expose pure evil! But first, a ride to the bottom of the sea in a homemade submersible.”

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

The lol’s we have gotten out of this since Sunday have been priceless

efb

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GABA ghoul posted:

Not a materials scientist/engineer, but wouldn't you run some physical fatigue simulations before you build a hull out of a previously never used material? Or do repeated pressure stress tests with the materials in a lab? Or with a miniature in the actual ocean? Like, what made the guy believe a reusable carbon fiber submarine is actually feasible?

look man at some point safety is just a waste of money - ceo of human paste inc llc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

not if you're disrupting deep sea exploration