Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

big nipples big life posted:

I don't trust the wsj for poo poo, why would the navy start listening right after they lost comms if the people the comms were going to didn't report the sub missing for another 8 hours?

They probably listen continuously but don't want to say so.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

TulliusCicero posted:

:fuckoff:

What the gently caress was all this for?

Practice for war time I am assuming

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

I don't trust the wsj for poo poo, why would the navy start listening right after they lost comms if the people the comms were going to didn't report the sub missing for another 8 hours?

The Navy listens all the time, 24/7. There's vast networks of hydrophones all over to listen to enemy subs, which also happen to catch everything else happening as well.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Not a materials scientist/engineer, but wouldn't you run some physical fatigue simulations before you build a hull out of a previously never used material? Or do repeated pressure stress tests with the materials in a lab? Or with a miniature in the actual ocean? Like, what made the guy believe a reusable carbon fiber submarine is actually feasible?

Carbon fiber is sort of expensive, what more proof do you need?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

You Are A Elf posted:

I bet the bolts connecting the hatch to the sub body weren't even galvanized or stainless steel.

The conspiracy theorists are going wild here's the weirdest one I have seen

I forgot about 17 being such an important number to the Qrazies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

angerbeet posted:

“I’m going to expose pure evil! But first, a ride to the bottom of the sea in a homemade submersible.”

"I'll bring my son with me."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Not a materials scientist/engineer, but wouldn't you run some physical fatigue simulations before you build a hull out of a previously never used material? Or do repeated pressure stress tests with the materials in a lab? Or with a miniature in the actual ocean? Like, what made the guy believe a reusable carbon fiber submarine is actually feasible?

um have you never heard of the mclaren f1?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spinz posted:

Lol holy poo poo the ads.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Spinz posted:

This is basically schizophrenia right? It makes that advertisement about mental health extremely ironic if so.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

They weren't listening for the Titan, it just happened to be caught while they were listening for other things.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheMightyBoops posted:

:hmbol:

Hidden signs you have mental problems while posting Q poo poo

Lmao

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I Greyhound posted:

The Navy listens all the time, 24/7. There's vast networks of hydrophones all over to listen to enemy subs, which also happen to catch everything else happening as well.

I thought SOSUS was was mostly off since the early 2000s.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmbol:

Hidden signs you have mental problems while posting Q poo poo

Lmao

That's what they want you to think

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Archonex posted:

This is basically schizophrenia right? It makes that advertisement about mental health extremely ironic if so.

Don't know about schizo, but it's somethin' misfiring in a brain.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

lmao

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

They probably had a super classified thing detect the implosion and immediately started listening.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Concerning

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Who lives in a pringles can under the sea?
Billionaire MeatChunks!
Absorbent and diced and porous is he
Billionaire MeatChunks!
If nautical nonsense be something he wished
Billionaire MeatChunks!
Then drop on the deck and explode like a fish!
Billionaire MeatChunks! (Ready?!)
Billionaire MeatChunks!
Billionaire MeatChunks!
Billionaire MeatChunks!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

yeah, it's obvious you're not an engineer, maybe keep your opinions to yourself on this.

the job of a materials engineer is to design something that's just barely robust enough to not fail in simulations, which you create for yourself with made up numbers when you don't know the real answer, and then to change jobs before your design is fielded. these are the basics that you learn in your first year out of college, if not sooner.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

TheMightyBoops posted:

The ads are always nuts for years it's hilarious
It's a website I read way back to lol at qanon, it's the craziest I've ever seen "Godlike Productions."
It reads like the Onion but it's NOT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Karl Hungus posted:

...and nothing of value was lost.

well there was the $30 controller

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

TheMightyBoops posted:

Targeted ads algorithm absolutely nailing their demographic

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/boeing-uw-and-nasa-deny-design-partnerships-with-oceangate/

quote:

The deep sea exploration company has described The Boeing Co., the University of Washington, and NASA as “partners” who made significant contributions to the vessel’s design and construction.

“We partnered with aerospace experts at the University of Washington, NASA and Boeing on the design of our hull,” a promotional video on OceanGate’s YouTube channel advertises. The moderator’s statement is accompanied by a screen covered in the logos for Boeing, NASA and the UW.

This week, all three entities — Boeing, NASA and UW — denied participating in the sub’s design or construction.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spinz posted:

These people can and have voted.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hamish harding reached the boundaries of human exploration to establish himself as cool and he imploded and everybody laughed about it for 3 days. not sure anyone has been more owned pound-for-pound in the history of the universe

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

This guy got in his own Homer sub

Like he could have just been a griftlord, but he actually bought into his own grift lmao

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Regulations are overrated. Why waste valuable cash?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

he actually bought into his own grift lmao

That's like breaking rule number 1 of grifting.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I have a solution to the "billionaires should not exist" problem. We continue to allow billionaires to exist but every week they draw lots and we send five of them down to the bottom of the ocean on a rickety submarine and see if they survive. The rich get to keep their money and we all get to be entertained. Win win I say.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes.

If these guys had actual engineers they would of done this. It sounds like the CEO replaced anyone competent who disagreed with him with 21 year old grad students who would say yes to everything or be fired.

Carbon fibre is a poo poo-rear end material in compression and composites are one of the few things which fatigue in compression.

Like genuinely if they'd made the hull out of an alloy steel forging or a titanium forging they'd likely of been fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Probably a slight inaccuracy by the reporter, or eliding for brevity.

The Navy started looking at it's recordings as soon as they were alerted about the missing sub. They found what was probably an implosion in their recordings right after the sub lost comms, and alerted the incident commander shortly after the sub was reported missing (hours after the actual destruction).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Because he went down a few times so because it worked once it'll work again forever

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

looks like there's an unexpected opportunity in the deep sea tourism market

time for a goon project? do we have any Trusted Disruptors™ itt?

Best I can do is a submarine guy who's in prison for murder

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair if the sub was going to blow up anyway then the best possible thing for our resident dipshit CEO was to die a (presumably) painless death aboard it rather than still be up here and on the hook for imploded a bunch of goobers in his innovative new carbon-fiber coffin.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the navy hearing another wet fart under the ocean before having to go back and check to find some chunks came out

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

I Greyhound posted:

Are you saying even the middle of the ocean isn't safe from government snooping

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TitanicSub/status/1671994805256179712

Oh Jesus, the kid knew this was a bad idea before he even got on the sub but did it for his dad, who didn't know any better :yikes:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Klyith posted:

Probably a slight inaccuracy by the reporter, or eliding for brevity.

The Navy started looking at it's recordings as soon as they were alerted about the missing sub. They found what was probably an implosion in their recordings right after the sub lost comms, and alerted the incident commander shortly after the sub was reported missing (hours after the actual destruction).

That makes more sense. The way it is worded sounds like the navy sprang into action to check on the death tube the instant it stopped communicating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yes.

If these guys had actual engineers they would of done this. It sounds like the CEO replaced anyone competent who disagreed with him with 21 year old grad students who would say yes to everything or be fired.

Carbon fibre is a poo poo-rear end material in compression and composites are one of the few things which fatigue in compression.

Like genuinely if they'd made the hull out of an alloy steel forging or a titanium forging they'd likely of been fine.

or the viewport could have failed given it was only certified to 1,300 m