Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's something very Westminster-y about the fact that people are querying Shaun Bailey's peerage on the grounds that he attended one of the lockdown parties, rather than the fact he's been very publicly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1671981625335226400

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Debris" has been found in the search area, so yeah, they 100% imploded when their signal went dead. Hopefully it was quick, it's a horrible way to go.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

These submersible memes are giving me life

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seems some of the debris was definitely from the submersible. They probably died 4 days ago according to the company co-founder quoted in this article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65991651

Glasto news apparently the film got shown. Be interesting to see what people who saw the whole thing say.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kingturnip posted:

There's something very Westminster-y about the fact that people are querying Shaun Bailey's peerage on the grounds that he attended one of the lockdown parties, rather than the fact he's been very publicly racist.

it’s very important to lazer focus onto tiny things which won’t have any precedence

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1671964786974662667

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What the heck does that mean? (Go up on their roofs).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Let us know how question time goes tonight from an audience members perspective.

I'm sure this burn was much better in your head, but I appreciate you trying.

w-..w..wha

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:emptyquote:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

as an ignorant american i had always assumed stewart lee was exaggerating for comedic effect in his "political correctness gone mad" bit, but i guess not

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's one of santa's elves :ssh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as an ignorant american i had always assumed stewart lee was exaggerating for comedic effect in his "political correctness gone mad" bit, but i guess not

She's unfortunately one of the smartest Brexit voters, I say as a Brexit voter.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that lady haven’t even left her town never mind gone to france in over two decades

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Buddy that lady hasn't been able to leave her brain for the past 20 years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I watched that video three times, and I just got even more confused each time I watched it.

Here's another gem from tonight's QT

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671978186521845773

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a garbled version of the "We Brits are the only ones to actually follow the rules about bendy bananas" talking point. A more coherent version: "In Britain thanks to EU REGULATION our roofers are festooned with safety gear. In France and Germany they just ignore it and get on the roof- now we're out we can do the same".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh no, the leopard eating faces party ate his face?

And just a reminder for non UK goon's, tonights BBC Question Time's 'Brexit Special' audience was comprised 100% of people who voted for Brexit.

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671961876052189190

e: holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671974777584492562

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1671968317009960980

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1672011512632975361

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 22, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will take my Brexit vote on the chin, but I will say that the dumbest Lexit voter was, and is, more informed than everyone in that room.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't think we're on a very good timeline, fellow britgoons....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah we're nine kinds of hosed and only one of those is in a good way.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Brexit supporters I've spoken to said it was necessary for reasons such as so we could deliver milk again, lower the price of eggs and go back to hitting kids. I suspect this type of incoherent nonsense is honestly much more common than any other reason behind it: blaming the EU for extremely minor and petty quibbles and then basing the entire decision on them. At the end of the day, it's just sheer stupidity at play more than anything.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
OI VOATED BREXIT SO I COULD FEED MY CHILDERN GLASS AND HIT VEM WIV STICKS FOR TO HARDEN EN UP LIKE IN OLD TIMES AND NOW THE SOCIAL TOOK THEM IT ARE WOKE BRIGADE GORN MAD :mad:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I don't understand the whole "well this isn't the brexit I voted for!!!" argument.

Because this is the brexit you voted for. Britain isn't in the EU. The side effects of that are that a lot of things are much worse, more expensive and there is more red tape than ever due to customs rules. Did you not think we would have those? These people literally believed that we could walk out of the EU, that we held all the cards, and would magically keep all the benefits, and more, for free.

It's absolutely astonishing how stupid some people are in this country. Just straight up some people do not have critical thinking skills, at all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

putting the benefits office right next to the airport arrivals terminal was a strange move, admittedly

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angepain posted:

putting the benefits office right next to the airport arrivals terminal was a strange move, admittedly

I thought it was in one of those beach chalets? The 55" plasma screen TVs are stored in the next chalet along.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

fuctifino posted:

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I watched that video three times, and I just got even more confused each time I watched it.

I think it was, in theory, possible for EU citizens to almost immediately claim JSA if they had a right to reside in the UK for other reasons than jobseeking and would normally have satisfied the other requirements for benefits. Obviously this was a reciprocal arrangement where UK citizens in the EU could also receive (often considerably more generous) benefits there. Presumably since Brexit that no longer applies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
a friend of mine and her parents decided to go from permanent residency in the US to citizenship two thirds because of Brexit and one third because of Donald Trump

she's still livid that she doesn't have a fully schengen ready passport anymore

(also her parents immigrated to Britain from Egypt so I bet a bunch of these shitters would respond "good, we don't want browns here")

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Debris" has been found in the search area, so yeah, they 100% imploded when their signal went dead. Hopefully it was quick, it's a horrible way to go.

Implosion even "only" at 1400m is faster than human nerves can send signals around

at most they heard the badly designed and undercalibrated hull integrity alarm go "beep?" and had enough time to think "wha-"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Google Jeb Bush posted:

a friend of mine and her parents decided to go from permanent residency in the US to citizenship two thirds because of Brexit and one third because of Donald Trump

she's still livid that she doesn't have a fully schengen ready passport anymore

(also her parents immigrated to Britain from Egypt so I bet a bunch of these shitters would respond "good, we don't want browns here")

I looked into it one time and if you don't have grandparents with helpful nationalities or a big stack of cash to buy your way to a passport, Poland is the EU country with the shortest residence requirement for citizenship - 3 years, 2 if married to a Pole. They even allow dual citizenship! However, you also have to learn Polish so practically speaking it's impossible. And it's not the greatest country in which to be non-white.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That's a big part of why Britain is so attractive for migrants (including for myself to be honest). Well that and established migrant communities.

Lots of people know English and it's really nice to understand everything and be able to chat with anyone you want. Helps massively in terms of work prospects too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 23, 2023

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

i assure you that full fluency in the english language brings one no closer to understanding britain

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Oh no, the leopard eating faces party ate his face?

And just a reminder for non UK goon's, tonights BBC Question Time's 'Brexit Special' audience was comprised 100% of people who voted for Brexit.

And the result was 'it wasnt done right' and 'its everyone elses fault not mine'.

Thanks BBC, that really clarified it for the rest of the UK, see you at the 10th, 15th, 20th, etc, when the exact same loving questions will be asked and the same sort of fuckwits saying 'I wanted sovrenteee but the illegals are getting my dole money and caviar!''

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuctifino posted:

this guy watched Benidorm and thought it was a real life documentary

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

More gammon last night than in Tescos in the week before Christmas. Tag urself

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I don't understand the whole "well this isn't the brexit I voted for!!!" argument.

Because this is the brexit you voted for. Britain isn't in the EU. The side effects of that are that a lot of things are much worse, more expensive and there is more red tape than ever due to customs rules. Did you not think we would have those? These people literally believed that we could walk out of the EU, that we held all the cards, and would magically keep all the benefits, and more, for free.

It's absolutely astonishing how stupid some people are in this country. Just straight up some people do not have critical thinking skills, at all.

This is a group of people who've never had to deal with the consequences of their actions before and by jove they're not going to start now.
They'll call anyone who gets offended by casual racism, misogyny, homophobia or transphobia a 'snowflake' but have never been able to handle being told "you were wrong" about something.
They grew up during the fastest increase in living standards in this country in probably ever and think that they earned it, but get incredibly angry if it's suggested that tax rates or government investment should return to the levels they were at when things were 'good'.
They had opportunities to explore the world, with incredible ease, thanks to bilateral arrangements that made our country even wealthier, but only went to the same two places in France/Spain on holiday and whined incessantly about people "coming over here".

So yeah, they're absolutely not going to have a shred of self-reflection when it comes to Brexit, because they've never needed to. They were sold a loving fairy tale by a group of people renowned for being a pack of liars and it's everyone else's fault that their wildest dreams haven't come true.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm just glad everyone who voted for brexit is unhappy. It sustains me

Some of them are happy with brexit but they're unhappy with everything else in their lives because that's rest the kinda people they are. They're miserable fucks

And I'm glad.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I think part of it is the result of people having no greater political education than a belief that in a democracy, the will of the voting majority will be carried out. Because all we are allowed to do as political citizens is vote, and quietly ask other people to agree with us in a polite and ignorable way, people simply stop at 'we must get popular support for our aims' and think that will be enough to achieve them. People are constantly encouraged by every campaigning group to think that their votes and opinions matter, and that saying 'I stand with X' or 'Not in my name' will achieve something. It is a kind of magical thinking, a belief that all you need to get is enough popular will and abracadabra, things will be done.

I saw an ex-fisherman complaining that Brexit did not bring back 200-mile exclusion limits, as he had expected. I mean, how could it? How? Never mind 'why?', I really think 'how?' is the most important question for children to learn.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

They just need to recognise that it was never going to be possible to fulfil ALL the promises, given that every saved penny is being spent on the NHS instead.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
beginning to think 90% of british newspaper frontpages ever since we joined the EU being "NOW THE EU WANTS YOU TO MARRY YOUR DOG" might have had a negative effect on our nation's psyche

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

It's a garbled version of the "We Brits are the only ones to actually follow the rules about bendy bananas" talking point. A more coherent version: "In Britain thanks to EU REGULATION our roofers are festooned with safety gear. In France and Germany they just ignore it and get on the roof- now we're out we can do the same".
Surely if it's that easy to not follow the rules Britain could have stayed in and not followed them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Guavanaut posted:

Surely if it's that easy to not follow the rules Britain could have stayed in and not followed them?

Who do they even think was enforcing the rules? Some special EU Roofing Police Officers? loving hell.