Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Who do they even think was enforcing the rules? Some special EU Roofing Police Officers? loving hell.

These people are absolutely as thick as dogshit. Mouth breathing simpletons

Edit. Nice snipe

The number 62 has a distinct property called “self-descriptive.” If you write out the number in English, “sixty-two,” it contains six letters and two digits, which correspond to the digits in the number itself.

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

More gammon last night than in Tescos in the week before Christmas. Tag urself

And of course the only one on the younger side of 40 looks like Hitler.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Truly a question for the ages

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Keep them well away from Toby Young.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
With all the commentary about interest rates I'm getting very pissed off at people saying that it's mortgage holders own fault for borrowing so much money. Like I needed somewhere to live and houses are stupidly expensive, that was the only choice open to me beyond renting in perpetuity which would have cost me even more. I would have also liked to buy my house outright with a couple of grand in cash but unfortunately I wasn't born in the 1950's.

My fixed rate expires in December and I'm just lucky that we've got enough saved and earn enough that we're not going to lose a house but we'll just have to give up the idea of going anywhere on holiday for a few years or buying a new car. If we had kids we'd be hosed. It's incredible that the cunts in charge can't realise that a bunch of people losing their homes and being forced back into renting isn't going to guarantee then a generation of future voters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Watching those BBC clips, it highlights that when Brexit happened it was always going to end up with the hardest of hard deals to no deal.
Because when you look at that group you see there is no reality to an agreement, no set of concrete proposals or idea of compromise. It was always going to be the UK demanding all the benefits, none of the costs and if you don't like it tough! (Followed by them immediately folding in the negotiation because they have no real bargaining power.)

The clip about NI is chilling as it is pretty much a microcosm of what happens to anything Ireland related when someone from Britain gets involved. They come in and throw their weight around with no understanding of the situation and just a demand that things go their way.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Don't you remember? Boris had an "oven ready" deal.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Panic over! The NHS is saved!

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1672173858646814721

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

£21mn pissed away on AI tech most of which won't work and the parts that do were done by academics not whichever techbro dipshit they're giving the money to.

But we can't afford to pay nurses a fair wage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NHS Status: Fixed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Don't you remember? Boris had an "oven ready" deal.

Always thought "oven-ready" was the most In The Thick Of It adjective that a Westminster focus group ever shat out

Guavanaut posted:

NHS Status: Fixed

Dis New Shitd Sssick

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Sunak is

quote:

totally, 100% on

interest rates at the moment. Give the guy a break. He doesn't have time to be

quote:

a bit clever

about two things at once.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

When did Toby Young mutate into Rupert Murdoch?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Always thought "oven-ready" was the most In The Thick Of It adjective that a Westminster focus group ever shat out

Dis New Shitd Sssick

Everything’s oven ready when u think about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Everything’s oven ready when u think about it

I have no doubt if Corbyn had coined this term it would have been an Auchwitz reference in time for the evening news

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

£21mn pissed away on AI tech most of which won't work and the parts that do were done by academics not whichever techbro dipshit they're giving the money to.

AI is really really good at certain types of medical diagnosis. It's a game changer for stuff like cancer screening. But you're completely right. Instead of going with high quality academics we will just have an open bidding system allowing the worst grifters access to private records and a bunch of funding.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

So, the civil service has been offered a "£1500 bonus" to help cover the cost of living, but it's not funded - so it's going to cost the UKRI alone 14 million. The teachers are back on strike, because while the UKRI can cancel upcoming projects (Which is still not good), schools are scraping by as it is.

Oh, and we've still not had our 2022 pay rise, not because the Unions are arguing about it - Noooo.
This POS government has been delaying and delaying, and has not even approved the UKRI-side suggested pay deal, or, from what I've heard, a lot of other government funded units. their stalling and stalling hoping to get us to the position of "Oh, just accept it and start arguing about this years"
That we can't start arguing about, because they have approved last years, and that needs to be done first.....

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/SchoolsWeek/status/1671919480690077697

Would you look at that.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

smellmycheese posted:

Leaving aside the fact that the whole story is made up and had just turned into the entire british media having a furious circlejerk quoting each other with no actual proof -

I think a man mid-animorph into the bulldog from those insurance commercials shouldn't be throwing stones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0LTbwR--9c
s/Internet/entire British press

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BUT

WHAT

IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I identified as a Space Elf when I was a kid so I really don't see the problem.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

AI is really really good at certain types of medical diagnosis. It's a game changer for stuff like cancer screening. But you're completely right. Instead of going with high quality academics we will just have an open bidding system allowing the worst grifters access to private records and a bunch of funding.

we’ve got some AI software for detecting strokes on CT and it’s poo poo and no one trusts it, i only look at it out of curiosity to see what bizarre stuff it comes up with

the stuff it does get right though could be spotted by a 1st year medical student, so probably tens of millions for software development which could have been replaced by a couple of 4 hr teaching sessions for someone vaguely medical

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ok so apologies for the dumb question but this is really the first time I've tried to understand why interest rates are rising. From what I gather it's to make people spend less because they should have less disposable money (if they're a homeowner because their mortgage is more expensive). Which to me just seems like a punishment for anyone who isn't rich? Also, if people are spending less, wouldn't that mean businesses having to raise their prices anyway because they need to offset the lower volumes of sales? Am I being dumb or is this kind of it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

we’ve got some AI software for detecting strokes on CT and it’s poo poo and no one trusts it, i only look at it out of curiosity to see what bizarre stuff it comes up with

the stuff it does get right though could be spotted by a 1st year medical student, so probably tens of millions for software development which could have been replaced by a couple of 4 hr teaching sessions for someone vaguely medical

Wasn’t there some miracle diagnostic AI that turned out to just be looking for rulers, because all the medical file photos it was trained on had rulers in them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/simon_schama/status/1672178078460571651?t=i2a1pQl7V78Zbz-tiVJ7bg&s=19

A third isn't that much really (though I guess a 58% majority are now Remain/Rejoin).

Either way, too late, get hosed

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some miracle diagnostic AI that turned out to just be looking for rulers, because all the medical file photos it was trained on had rulers in them

Yeah. It's the pitfalls of machine learning. You can't tell it "look for this" you have to feed in data and have it find the similarities itself. In the example you are talking about they forgot to crop out rulers on the positive data and the nagative data they put in didn't contain rulers. So the AI just learnt to correlate ruler = positive.

You have to be really really careful to feed in good data.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah, the cancer screening is thing I was thinking of when I said parts that do - I saw how the AI detected breast cancer when the doctor thought it wasn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/simon_schama/status/1672178078460571651?t=i2a1pQl7V78Zbz-tiVJ7bg&s=19

A third isn't that much really (though I guess a 58% majority are now Remain/Rejoin).

If a third of Brexit voters now want to be in the Single Market then the vote based on the plans we have now would be 66-34 Remain.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, Leave only won the vote by the slenderest of margins, so if a third of them had switched sides before the vote it'd have been a comfortable Remain win.

But yeah, damage is done now, everything's gotten a fair bit shittier, and I expect the UK will slowly drift back into a closer relationship with the EU over time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, the cancer screening is thing I was thinking of when I said parts that do - I saw how the AI detected breast cancer when the doctor thought it wasn't.
Pigeons do better than AIs and 1st year students at that. (In some cases)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aphex- posted:

Ok so apologies for the dumb question but this is really the first time I've tried to understand why interest rates are rising. From what I gather it's to make people spend less because they should have less disposable money (if they're a homeowner because their mortgage is more expensive). Which to me just seems like a punishment for anyone who isn't rich? Also, if people are spending less, wouldn't that mean businesses having to raise their prices anyway because they need to offset the lower volumes of sales? Am I being dumb or is this kind of it?

That's it.
If 1000 people had money and wanted to buy packets of fags at £5, the demand would make the business raise the prices, to whatever they think would still get the same 1000 buying them. To £5.50, or £6. Therefore inflation potentially increases.
But if 500 cant pay now, as they are using that to pay off their mortgage, the business has a surplus of 500 packs of fags, so are less likely to increase the price even to cover the costs, to £5.10 or £5.20, so overall inflation is lower.

It is definitely making poor people fix it, so that the rich can sit back on their amassed horde of cash.

Prices will never go down, they never do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aphex- posted:

You are mostly correct.
As painful as it is what the bank of England are doing does work, we have a century of evidence to prove this. But what people often don't talk about is it isn't the only way to do it.

Under Nixon in America they brought in a freeze on salaries and prices. Literally for a 6 month period it was illegal to raise your price on anything and illegal to raise someone's salary. And it worked

Another solution is forced savings, you apply a special tax on everyone, taking away their money then slowly give it back to them through a repayment system. It causes the same effect as interest rates but the money doesn't vanish, everyone eventually gets it back.

But for whatever reason countries just prefer the interest rate approach, I guess cos it's more proven to be reliable even though it's by far the most painful for the lower and middle classes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like the best counter argument to letting AI run the NHS is any of the numerous examples on deviantart of how it thinks womens bodies work.

"It's saying it's detected a cancerous mass in the 15th finger of your middle breast."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Prices will never go down, they never do.

Food inflation was actually slightly negative for quite a little while, a few years before the Ukraine war I think.

I'd actually noticed it in the shops - things I buy getting cheaper and cheaper (if only slightly) - and then when inflation became a crisis channel 4 news did a report and pointed it out. And I was like "oh yeah, that's tracks"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

Under Nixon in America they brought in a freeze on salaries and prices. Literally for a 6 month period it was illegal to raise your price on anything and illegal to raise someone's salary. And it worked

I'm sorry, what???

How did that most capitalist country on earth get away with that

(i know the answer: a republican did it)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isn't the whole "children are identifying as cats!" thing an import from the American Right Wing media?

Like I remember it being because photos were circulating of classrooms with "litter trays" and the ghouls of Fox News/OANN were saying it was because teachers were indulging in kids fantasies of being cats and thus having to use litter trays instead of toilets as they were cats.

When the reality for why classrooms had litter trays in them were an emergency measure for if there was an active shooter situation in a school, then the terrified children had a place inside the classroom where they could whaz*. So this was a Right Wing deflection to an issue they wanted to deal with (children's identity) from a problem they didn't want to deal with (gun control).

Which leads to two things.
1) It's nightmarish to think how the problem is people with guns going into schools and shooting up classrooms of kids, and the offered solution is "sit tight. Hope you don't get murdered."

2) Just as nightmarish is how these news stories are the end result of a baffling chain of stories where the original meaning is forgotten, the lie made up to deflect from the original issue is taken as fact and it grows into its own independent nonsense.
Kojima was right. We needed a flying turtle robot to censor the Internet.

*= Growing up my primary school all had toilets inside most of the class rooms near the coat racks at the side. So you didn't have to leave the class to go to the loo. It wasn't until I went to Secondary School that I learnt that this was very much not the norm.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

You are mostly correct.
As painful as it is what the bank of England are doing does work, we have a century of evidence to prove this. But what people often don't talk about is it isn't the only way to do it.

Another solution is forced savings, you apply a special tax on everyone, taking away their money then slowly give it back to them through a repayment system. It causes the same effect as interest rates but the money doesn't vanish, everyone eventually gets it back.

But for whatever reason countries just prefer the interest rate approach, I guess cos it's more proven to be reliable even though it's by far the most painful for the lower and middle classes.
it’s funny that isn’t it

it is stupefying that the central banks fooled themselves into thinking they were keeping inflation low but it was actually china becoming an industrial behemoth that was doing it, so they’re playing with interest rates because they can only reduce demand side inflation by making us poorer than they can finding ways to increase the production of cheap energy and food

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall the original litter tray situation was literally just someone on TikTok saying it to make fun of conservatives being gullible and she ended up getting reported by LibsOfTikTok (a nazi) and picked up by Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
To be fair increasing the production of cheap energy and food is a bit difficult right now and will probably never be easy again