Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

But you do admit that the word retire indicates retirement, right?

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Didn't even know this was being made, but now I wanna watch it.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1671957457730412568?s=20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't have any problem with Wes Anderson using the same stylistic playbook every time, plenty of artists do that, great ones even. I just don't think he's made an actually good movie in like twenty years.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
But The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the best movies he's ever done???

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Budapest is his biggest
Moonrise is his best
Life Aquatic is his most underrated

That's the way I'm feeling, haven't seen Darjeeling or Isle of Dogs.
It's actually crazy to think what must've been in the water to make Budapest such a huge movie compared to the rest; it feels inexplicable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I recently watched Darjeeling. When I originally saw the film, I didn't care for it, but I really liked it on rewatch. It's not as big or bombastic as his more recent films. It doesn't have a massive cast. It felt like a very cozy movie.

Darjeeling feels like a perfect film to watch on a warm summer evening. No massive stakes. Just a small, personal journey with the three protags.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I enjoyed Darjeeling much more on a recent rewatch than during the theatrical run. Royal Tenenbaums is still far and away the top for me, but agreed that Life Aquatic is his most underrated.

Silky Slim
Jul 12, 2006
Makes a run for the gun circle....
I also haven't seen a Wes Anderson movie in years and years. One aspect of it to me is the same reason I don't really mesh with the last decade or so of Spielberg. I think perfecting a style and having immaculate craft sorta becomes unexciting for me (for these fellas especially I'm going to lump acting styles, sense of humor, etc. into this along with mis en scene). I know what to expect from them and it's things I've seen before, so all that's left is the plot which is typically the part I care least about. I also think the color palette of this new one is extremely ugly, super nasty.

Also crazy to me that anyone would consider Life Aquatic as his most underrated when that completely dominated white people culture for like a decade after it came out. I'll still see people at halloween dressed up like one of the ship's crew and have friends who will not shut the gently caress up about it if he's ever brought up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't have any problem with Wes Anderson using the same stylistic playbook every time, plenty of artists do that, great ones even. I just don't think he's made an actually good movie in like twenty years.

To each their own but this is a lava hot take.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah Anderson has a very strong style and I totally understand people just bouncing off it completely. But when they say his movies are just flat out bad it’s like. Come on now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah Anderson has a very strong style and I totally understand people just bouncing off it completely. But when they say his movies are just flat out bad it’s like. Come on now.

i don't know if he's made any movies that are flat out bad but he's made a whole lot that were room temperature mid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Silky Slim posted:

Also crazy to me that anyone would consider Life Aquatic as his most underrated when that completely dominated white people culture for like a decade after it came out. I'll still see people at halloween dressed up like one of the ship's crew and have friends who will not shut the gently caress up about it if he's ever brought up.

Critically it's his worst reviewed movie by kind of a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Silky Slim posted:

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s a masterpiece. With Tenenbaums right beside it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

what about the word "retire"?

Are you not familiar with Bruce Campbell's sense of humor and entire public persona?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

what about the word "retire"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbmAn-1QNo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1672154999529373696?s=20

Edit: Tweet was deleted but I don't know why.

quote:

here's the thing about James Cameron: No one should be that rich but he's the closest to spending it right

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 23, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maybe considered in bad taste because he spends his money on submarines that actually work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Cameron should spend his money on a movie I’d like to see

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

James Cameron should spend his money on a movie I’d like to see

No, he should keep spending his money on movies I want to see, that make billions of dollars.

If your movie doesn't make one billion dollars FOH with that poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rip to all of the snyderverse.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched The Flash at work and it was bad but still not as bad as Man of Steel. Amazing that universe gave us a decade of bad movies and they never got worse than the very first one. Talk about putting your worst foot forward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The flash is one of the worst movies ever made dude.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CPL593H posted:

Are you not familiar with Bruce Campbell's sense of humor and entire public persona?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nothing about that tweet indicates retirement

Failed didn't say "That tweet is clearly a joke," or "He's being sarcastic". They said nothing about that tweet indicates retirement. Which is categorically, undeniably false. The word retire indicates retirement.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Failed didn't say "That tweet is clearly a joke," or "He's being sarcastic". They said nothing about that tweet indicates retirement. Which is categorically, undeniably false. The word retire indicates retirement.

:goonsay:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Flash is good actually because someone saw that meme of Batman flying into the twin towers on 9/11 and was like, 'Yeah, gently caress it, let's put it in a movie'.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
This seems good.

https://twitter.com/thefilmstage/status/1672270710058917888?s=46&t=dymoFDq-UDzzD1d8-8ErgA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The Flash is good actually because someone saw that meme of Batman flying into the twin towers on 9/11 and was like, 'Yeah, gently caress it, let's put it in a movie'.

It's all I could think about.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I can’t get over Joel partnering with A24 to make a black and white 4:3 adaptation of Hamlet with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand, and Ethan making a sexy lesbian road trip B-movie co-written by his wife.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hell yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m 50 minutes into Tar, this is just a movie about a really cool chick?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gripweed posted:

No.

:chloe:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

No

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok I get it now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a biopic of Lydia Tar

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"