Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Since we're going to hear a bunch of unsubstantiated theories about what could have happened, let me imagine a 19th century mystery novel plot

- 5 people get into a shaky submersible, including the ceo himself
- the sub doesn't have any beacon, or any reliable way to broadcast its location
- ~10 meters underwater, everyone important escapes from the "can't be unbolted from inside" hatch. maybe a few who were not part of the venture are left onboard, who knows
- they rendezvous with another sea craft and are spirited away to life a life free from obligations. perhaps they even managed to collect on a generous life insurance or other wealth transfer vehicle?
- the sub descends to a dangerous depth, is destroyed, and large identifiable chunks are then recovered shortly thereafter
- slate is wiped clean, submersible is destroyed with no way to ever find any bodies. 5 years later a new innovative submersible or bitcoin company is formed from the US virgin islands with a name like "MYTHICAL GIANT CORP"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Forget submarines. How about a nice Victorian era space cannon that fires you and a dozen other upper class passengers into space, buckled to seats inside a giant shell with the same interior as a first class rail car?

edit - we can even name the startup something snappy and marketable like Space Bullseye.

No carbon fibre, no titanium. Just good old English steel, oak and velvet. Held together with solid, reliable rivets. They're good enough for his majesty's Royal Navy ironclads, they're good enough for us.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 11:18 on Jun 23, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you just step into this incinertransporter and your consciousness will be uploaded into an AI being halfway across the world for the folks in japan to marvel at

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

honestly death by implosion is extremely metal. I'm jealous

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, rule number one of boat building is don't mix metals.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

See also: COVID, vaccines, climate change, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Holy poo poo, rule number one of boat building is don't mix metals.

lol that the US Navy didn't remember this either

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol that the US Navy didn't remember this either

Man those littoral ships that corrode the instant they touch seawater, a lol from many years ago

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Forget submarines. How about a nice Victorian era space cannon that fires you and a dozen other upper class passengers into space, buckled to seats inside a giant shell with the same interior as a first class rail car?

edit - we can even name the startup something snappy and marketable like Space Bullseye.

No carbon fibre, no titanium. Just good old English steel, oak and velvet. Held together with solid, reliable rivets. They're good enough for his majesty's Royal Navy ironclads, they're good enough for us.
If we aim it just right we can probably hit the man in the moon right in the eye

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Man those littoral ships that corrode the instant they touch seawater, a lol from many years ago

there’re only just decommissioning them too

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

zerocool thinner

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1672219482129854464?t=uToAYYgDH6-Xfpsaq8WF1Q&s=19

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1672190925123059712?s=20

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

kill ur selfs

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i am NOT advocating self-harm

i am talking about ego death through the use of psychedelics

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

zerocool thinner

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

yes

it’s a good method

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

kill ur selfs

may i recommend a submarine ride?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

Not being a hardcore drug user, what kind of bender will $4.5 million get you?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s preferable to kill or control the ego before you go on a pschadeloc trip

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

We get a guy to come in and bang on the sensory deprivation tank as soon as the mushrooms or LSD kicks in.

It's the OceanGate experience. $2,500.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Mola Yam posted:

kill ur selfs

Kill your serfs? Hm that would save some money short term.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

wire it to me

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yessssss more videos of the sub guy smugly going "ugh you just don't understand my Disruptor Entrepreneur Spirit I know what I'm doing"

fuuuuuck

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Wearing loose fitting clothes while working on an industrial lathe, there's rules that say don't do that. Well I di-

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

https://twitter.com/techreview/status/1671894820015738880

MODEL COLLAPSE! MODEL COLLAPSE! MORE! MORE!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

good, that rules

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

get on the sub

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
We created artificial "intelligence" and its a human centipede only connected back to itself in a circle.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
What's striking to me is that if we ever did create real AI that wasn't a scam like chat gpt we wouldn't be able to use it because you can't train such a thing in a capitalist system where everyone is motivated, even required to cut corners. They won't pay for training data, and soon they won't be able to steal it anymore because copywrite law is about to bring the hammer down. Then there's the human actors cutting corners by feeding in training data that was created by AI.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Bullshit Ouroboros

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm 59 years old with a net worth of $1.2 billion, but my remains are scattered across an area the size of a tennis court (doubles) 4km underwater. Why do I feel like my retirement isn't secure?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

spend it on a submersible trip to the titanic…?!

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

reading the 'don't know how to withdraw it' as two boomers who've forgotten their account password and accidentally wrote an article instead of googling a password reset lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

listen here jack, how do I open 401k

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/business/status/1672249662139510785?s=20

it's happening

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Throb Robinson posted:

Honestly my money on Elong. I watched that "fight" Mark put out there and it's wildly passive grappling. I trust Elon to get in contact with some wild primal side and whip Mark more than I think Mark suddenly becoming this dynamic fighter because he took some classes.
:yeah:

People forgot how much coke Elon is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

real estate lenders should spend less on avocado toast