Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mystes posted:

Celeste code for anyone who wants to suffer since I got the humble pixel pride bundle and I already have celeste:
ET2A3-68ITF-J0WHT

Has been claimed, probably by a key scraper bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Resonance22 posted:

There are some bugs,

We’ll, yeah…that’s the point of the game…

:chaostrump:

mystes
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

Has been claimed, probably by a key scraper bot.
I didn't even know that was a thing :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

PC Game Pass really is a mixed bag in that respect. I know that the FO/TES Bethesda games are not nearly as moddable as their Steam counterparts because none of the utilities that hook into the game executable (ala SKSE) actually work. Starfield is likely to be in the same boat.

My plan for Starfield is to go with Game Pass for the first playthrough and then wait for a steam sale to start modding it, since it'll take some time for the mod tools to get released and the dust to settle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

I only played the tutorials and part of the first level of El Paso and my problem was that everything seemed way too constrained to get some good shootdodges in? Not helped by the incredibly low ceilings, it just felt claustrophobic. Idk, I'll play more and see then.

Yeeeaaaaah, so I finished the demo and El Paso really seems like a game at odds with its design. I played through that second level without ever shootdodging or even really using the slo-mo because nothing in it actually needs/benefits from the mechanic, so what you're left with is a pretty standard, indie third-person shooter with a whole lot of style. That's definitely the game's strongest point, the monster mash supernatural and the gritty, Paynelike VO (kudos to the dev, I think that's him doing it) although I will admit I'm not entirely sure how seriously I'm supposed to take all of its goofiness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

prime gaming added this week:

Prey (GOG key)
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (GOG key)
Steamworld Dig 2
Revita
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows
Agatha Knife
DKO: Divine Knockout (Epic key)

also they've got more neo geo games: the super spy, over top, sengoku 2, soccer brawl, and top hunter. i think at least a couple of these were not on the neo geo minis. they also still have the SNK 40th anniversary collection as well

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Dunno if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon where a game that drops on PC Game Pass is actually an inferior version to the one released the same day on Steam because the day-one patch is still going through Microsoft cert lol

Before it was Everspace 2 but now it's The Bookwalker, basically all the notes and things you read in the game are broken because half the text is unreadable

Devs had this to say:

It's a shame because the premise is really neat :sigh:

It's not ideal but it really only effects a bunch of flavor text, basically. I've finished 4 of the books now and I haven't really felt like I missed anything important.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

My plan for Starfield is to go with Game Pass for the first playthrough and then wait for a steam sale to start modding it, since it'll take some time for the mod tools to get released and the dust to settle.

I had the same thought. Plus, if the game turns out bad that's a good chunk of change saved! :haw:

Phoix posted:

It's not ideal but it really only effects a bunch of flavor text, basically. I've finished 4 of the books now and I haven't really felt like I missed anything important.

Ah, okay. It seemed to be affecting everything you could read in the player's apartment but that's good if it doesn't persist (as much) elsewhere.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

I had the same thought. Plus, if the game turns out bad that's a good chunk of change saved! :haw:

Ah, okay. It seemed to be affecting everything you could read in the player's apartment but that's good if it doesn't persist (as much) elsewhere.

Yeah, it's only a problem with notes specifically and so far all of those have just been very minor worldbuilding things. All of the character dialogue is fine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Starfield strikes me as the game exactly not worth playing on GamePass, because I'll almost surely want to play it again in the future. So I'll just buy it now and enjoy it now as well as for years to come. I look to GamePass for things like Atomic Heart and Outer Worlds; games that I will clearly never wish to play a second time, so I'll pay MS :10bux: to rent it.

But if you're one of those people who keeps a subscription to it throughout the year then that's different, but I subscribe to it at most twice a year (usually 0-1 times).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Starfield strikes me as the game exactly not worth playing on GamePass, because I'll almost surely want to play it again in the future. So I'll just buy it now and enjoy it now as well as for years to come. I look to GamePass for things like Atomic Heart and Outer Worlds; games that I will clearly never wish to play a second time, so I'll pay MS :10bux: to rent it.

But if you're one of those people who keeps a subscription to it throughout the year then that's different, but I subscribe to it at most twice a year (usually 0-1 times).

Play it on game pass then buy it later when it’s on sale?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Seems like it'll be a long time before it goes for anything less than $40-$45. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jossar posted:

Alas, if only all games did even that well...

Continuing on the theme of "all new Survivors games cannot have the slightest drop of originality, but must be Vampire Survivors + X", we have Path of Survivors, which is just Vampire Survivors + the Path of Exile passive skill tree. The game gives you a million passive bonuses to upgrade mid-run for both your current character and all characters globally, in addition to the actual passive tree, equipment, skills, etc. and most importantly... does not auto-pause the game for you when you go to these screens. Also, most of the pop up messages informing you of what you selected stay on the screen for way too long.

Joker Rating: Foil - About as generic, but bad, as this could be without being truly trash. If you're willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies you could have an okay-ish game, but even among PoE ripoffs there are better things to choose from.

i think it is actually the path of exile skill tree copy pasted lol. those node connections look very familiar.

Azran posted:

Oh my god it's using the Duelyst assets :lol:

lol what else did they copy paste

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SteamDB had added some interesting new stats it can show you about your account.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well look at mr "I've played most of the games that I own"

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

mystes posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing :(

It's not. That's just how some people cope with the reality that someone would take a game and not say thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

SteamDB had added some interesting new stats it can show you about your account.

i'm scared to look at this

Det_no posted:

It's not. That's just how some people cope with the reality that someone would take a game and not say thanks.
por que no los dos

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the bot stuff is probably overblown but it is very likely that it got snatched up by some lurker who reads the thread but never posts in it

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I enjoyed the Steamworld Build demo -- as someone whose brain is usually too smooth for this specific game style (build residences, fulfill needs, upgrade residences, fulfill more needs, all while juggling resources) it does a great job of both explaining things to me quickly and onboarding me fast. This is in comparison to something like Jumplight Odyssey which just tosses you into the deep end and has you sit through a thousand tutorials.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

Mars First Logistics (June 26, Early Access) involves building rovers on Mars to make important deliveries. Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts meets Strand game??? It just received a launch date today, for the 26th. By the dev of Dissembler (which I played earlier this year!) and Boson X.
this came out in EA yesterday so I bought in; I'd describe it as Snowrunner-meets-Besiege. kind of the same lego-ish assembly as Besiege on a large map full of point A->point B deliveries of awkward physics-enabled loads; so far i've seen an open stepladder, the pictured-above open-lidded box of oranges (each of which is physics-enabled), a huge steel I-beam, and a telescope mirror. cargo & rover don't seem to have durability or anything, you can upright your rover at any time, change the rover on the spot, and fast travel to any depot you've been to, so more forgiving and less demanding of time than SnowRunner; still sucks losing cargo off a cliff but at least you can pick it up again right away

only a couple negatives i've seen so far. the build ui is a little bit rudimentary, whether on controller or kbm; you can at least copy subassemblies, but can't save them (only whole vehicles AFAICT), and there's no mirroring yet. it's workable, just a little awkward. so far at least the terrain is as same-y as you'd expect from the surface of Mars; though it's early days and i'm still a fan of the (are we still calling it cel-shaded?) art style so I give it a pass for the time being

tl;dr: 11/10 would shove & roll a box around Mars then spend an hour trying to lift the box onto a shelf again

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 23, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been waiting for someone to give some impressions for this, I had my finger on the buy button for this since yesterday and this might convince me to pull the trigger.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

at minimum I'd say it's worth the two-hour-"demo" to feel things out, yeah

(e) one thing I didn't mention above is that you don't have an infinite lootbag of parts; you start with a few unlocked, with more unlocking as you complete missions. missions also reward currency that can be used to buy more of each unlocked part, but the economy of mission rewards vs part costs leans pretty miserly. maybe something that's going to be worked on more later or changes with future missions, idk. that said all i've had to buy thus far is a couple extra cheap connector pieces, which i probably wouldn't need if seeing asymmetry didn't make me twitch

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

this came out in EA yesterday so I bought in; I'd describe it as Snowrunner-meets-Besiege. kind of the same lego-ish assembly as Besiege on a large map full of point A->point B deliveries of awkward physics-enabled loads; so far i've seen an open stepladder, the pictured-above open-lidded box of oranges (each of which is physics-enabled), a huge steel I-beam, and a telescope mirror. cargo & rover don't seem to have durability or anything, you can upright your rover at any time, change the rover on the spot, and fast travel to any depot you've been to, so more forgiving and less demanding of time than SnowRunner; still sucks losing cargo off a cliff but at least you can pick it up again right away

only a couple negatives i've seen so far. the build ui is a little bit rudimentary, whether on controller or kbm; you can at least copy subassemblies, but can't save them (only whole vehicles AFAICT), and there's no mirroring yet. it's workable, just a little awkward. so far at least the terrain is as same-y as you'd expect from the surface of Mars; though it's early days and i'm still a fan of the (are we still calling it cel-shaded?) art style so I give it a pass for the time being

tl;dr: 11/10 would shove & roll a box around Mars then spend an hour trying to lift the box onto a shelf again
If I haven't played snowrunner or besieged how hard is this kind of game? it looks neat but I don't want something that's like kerbel space program level difficult

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mystes posted:

If I haven't played snowrunner or besieged how hard is this kind of game? it looks neat but I don't want something that's like kerbel space program level difficult
well there's no orbital mechanics to learn for a start :v:

the part pool is much smaller than ksp, and besiege if only by not having weaponry; and so far unlike snowrunner you don't have to worry about e.g. getting bogged down in mud or getting your third axle caught on a suspiciously-durable stick or whatever

probably the most difficult challenges have been a couple cases of needing to place or orient the delivery in a particular way; for example that heavy steel i-beam I mentioned needed to be standing up on-end in the delivery zone. It doesn't have to stay upright for more than like a tenth of a second, though, you just need to get it in the bounding box, so often as not janky solutions are just as good as more reliable ones; when I got the i-beam in the right spot my rover was leaning upside down against it from the weight difference

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 23, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goferchan posted:

Torchlight: Infinite would almost be good if it didn't have the mobile bullshit. It rips off a lot of Path of Exile mechanics in a way that makes them a little more sane and palatable -- the skill modifier system is really cool

Yeah I was briefly intrigued by it because despite the aggressive Overwatch-esque Modern Game interface and it being a F2P mobile game, it had a glimmer of being the distilled down ARPG/MOBA-lite monstrosity I so desperately want. But then it looked like it devolves into the exact same "mow down hundreds of trash mobs effortlessly with increasingly screen-filling numbers to create an explosion of loot, 99% of which is useless" loop and if I really wanted that so bad I would just go back to D3.

Also it's still a F2P mobile game and I'm not that big of a sucker.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jossar posted:

Alas, if only all games did even that well...

Continuing on the theme of "all new Survivors games cannot have the slightest drop of originality, but must be Vampire Survivors + X", we have Path of Survivors, which is just Vampire Survivors + the Path of Exile passive skill tree. The game gives you a million passive bonuses to upgrade mid-run for both your current character and all characters globally, in addition to the actual passive tree, equipment, skills, etc. and most importantly... does not auto-pause the game for you when you go to these screens. Also, most of the pop up messages informing you of what you selected stay on the screen for way too long.

Joker Rating: Foil - About as generic, but bad, as this could be without being truly trash. If you're willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies you could have an okay-ish game, but even among PoE ripoffs there are better things to choose from.

I mean, Vampire Survivors originally ripped off another game so its in the very DNA of the genre.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mystes posted:

I've done a few jobs so far and it is pretty difficult, it's possible that I'm overthinking solutions to some of these but you do get premade blueprints that seem like good bases to alter instead of having to build something completely from the ground up so you're not completely on your own. I am glad to see that it's not like a "the mission fails if the thing hits the ground" sort of objective and you're not restricted as far as when you can alter your vehicle so you don't necessarily have to build a machine that can handle the whole delivery with the same vehicle design.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jack Trades posted:

Given how much bundle junk I have on my account to artificially inflate the price/% of games not played, I'm pleasantly surprised.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Opting into the client beta seems to have fixed the back button. Thanks to whoever suggested that a few pages back!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't try to go back, always move forward with your life. That's what I say.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Play it on game pass then buy it later when it’s on sale?

I'll probably pick up the second GOTY definitive edition.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I was briefly intrigued by it because despite the aggressive Overwatch-esque Modern Game interface and it being a F2P mobile game, it had a glimmer of being the distilled down ARPG/MOBA-lite monstrosity I so desperately want. But then it looked like it devolves into the exact same "mow down hundreds of trash mobs effortlessly with increasingly screen-filling numbers to create an explosion of loot, 99% of which is useless" loop and if I really wanted that so bad I would just go back to D3.

Also it's still a F2P mobile game and I'm not that big of a sucker.

Have you played V Rising? Sounds close to what you're looking for as long as you're not scared off by some "survival game" elements (which, with some custom game settings tweaked to adjust for solo play, are not terribly oppressive)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had a very strong connection with my inner child while meditating and I am seeking spiritual remedy, in particular spiritual successors to:

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
Outwars
Interstate '76
Crusader: No Remorse/Regret
Syndicate Wars
Shadowrun (Mega Drive)
Unreal Tournament

do any of these games exist

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
nevermind

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I had a very strong connection with my inner child while meditating and I am seeking spiritual remedy, in particular spiritual successors to:

Syndicate Wars

Don't really know about the other ones, but in this case you might want to take a look at Satellite Reign.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Outwars
Interstate '76
Syndicate Wars
Shadowrun (Mega Drive)
Unreal Tournament

If you go in expecting literally Syndicate Wars it will probably disappoint you, but if you go in expecting something with the same flavor that plays a bit differently, Satellite Reign is cool

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shivers posted:

Don't really know about the other ones, but in this case you might want to take a look at Satellite Reign.

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you go in expecting literally Syndicate Wars it will probably disappoint you, but if you go in expecting something with the same flavor that plays a bit differently, Satellite Reign is cool

Oh, I own this and I played it! I just don't remember because I have literal amnesia from that period (not being funny, it was a bad time in my life). Might as well revisit, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, I am really bad at Mars First Logistics. I'm dumb and can't figure out how to make these things under the part cost constraints :smith:

The build menu is pretty frustrating though. It would be less annoying if the building was like kerbal where you could drag parts around and leave them detached. You have to copy sections then delete them to get the parts back then rebuild it if you want to move a part somewhere else. That kind of stuff can only get better over time so I really think this game has a lot of potential.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ZearothK posted:

Oh, I own this and I played it! I just don't remember because I have literal amnesia from that period (not being funny, it was a bad time in my life). Might as well revisit, thanks!

Satellite Rein is dang cool, but I'd give the tip to NOT try to purchase every "stealth" skill on every character asap, as it delays the truly fun parts until the 11th hour when you finally buy all the gun and go melt people. So for example the solider will have a "insulated arms" perk which allows him to punch out power circuits to allow anternate entry. You don't need ALL of those skills from EVERY character, and even if all the 'big guns' come later you're still allowed to buy combat skills and win at combat when trying to be discreet. Oh, and Satellite Rein is also commendable for having the BEST graceful failure system I've ever seen: if you to totally gently caress up, don't reload! as your dudes will respawn outside the facility within a few seconds and you can try again. Stops quicksave spam, thank god.

It's a cool game, you should all go play Satellite Rein, the modern Syndicate game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Outwars
Interstate '76
Syndicate Wars
Shadowrun (Mega Drive)
Unreal Tournament

It’s probably not directly what you are looking for, but Interstate ‘76 had a dumbed down sequel, Interstate ‘82. Might give that a look to see if it fills what you are looking for. I don’t know if it is really true, but Wikipedia says that Vigilante 8 on the consoles was a spin off series.

I remember Vigilante 8 being a Twisted Metal clone that was fun for the time. No idea how well it holds up. Also probably not what you are looking for, as while I remember it having single player missions, they were still arena based, not road based.