Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It is funny that the BK let's play functionally finished after video 25 and we're not even halfway done with Tooie after video 25. This game is... large.

e: update at bottom of last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A little too large, I think. If they tightened up the levels they coulda had it go a lot better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ok, the Stomping ground boss, while irritating, seems pretty funny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Styracosaurus is in fact a real thing!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I will always maintain that DK64 is a perfectly fine game as long as you don't 100% it.

Eh, I was a massive Banjo Kazooie/Tooie fan and I ended up bouncing off DK64 so hard I gave up on it by like the fourth world.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I never put together how terrifyingly large some of the dinosaurs are in this stage. Unless Banjo et al are just really tiny?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Unga Bunga guarding cave
Unga Bunga not too brave
Unga Bunga hear big roar
Unga Bunga guard no more

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

When I was 10-11 I played through this game with a Nintendo magazine strategy guide, and it was really fun if very difficult for me. I can't imagine trying to 100% Tooie without help like that, especially with how huge the worlds are.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

At this point the game opens up so much if you do a good job of collecting all the jiggies from the earlier levels. I always forget the intended level progression.
Not that it really matters, what with how much the game forces backtracking.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When Terry's Eggs "activate" the game does a brief shot of where each one is, complete the little zone title cards in each case. Of course, if you gently caress off and do something else it's very easy to forget that there's supposed to be one in the Unga Bunga cave!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Terrydactyland could have used a navigational glow-up so it was easier to figure out what leads where.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Terrydactyland just sucks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Terrydactyland just sucks.

See, I read your post, then I look up at the thumbnail above it and go, "naaaaah."

My opinion of it is also helped by the next level.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

See, I read your post, then I look up at the thumbnail above it and go, "naaaaah."

My opinion of it is also helped by the next level.

See, I loved the next level when I played Tooie, and I still do.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Re: Glowbo chat
What if glowbo magic is like horseshoe crab blood?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Terridactiland has a lot of jiggies that require you to do like four things of increasing complexity, and it's really a player mindset kind of thing if you go "can't believe they added another wrinkle to this, I gotta use the train AND overworld Mumbo? That's so awesome" or "that's a LOT of bullshit for just one collectible"

I'm still in the first camp ftr

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Simply Simon posted:

Terridactiland has a lot of jiggies that require you to do like four things of increasing complexity, and it's really a player mindset kind of thing if you go "can't believe they added another wrinkle to this, I gotta use the train AND overworld Mumbo? That's so awesome" or "that's a LOT of bullshit for just one collectible"

I'm still in the first camp ftr

I tend to enjoy figuring those things out, but get annoyed in the execution. Ideal for me is puzzle games where everything's in one room (or as much space as it needs). The more time I spend running between stuff the more I check out.

So "oh neat, you need to go from here to here using this exit to avoid that, then come back without doing this other thing! ...you mean I actually need to DO that now?"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have yet to watch this latest video and I know this isn't a popular opinion but I loving love Grunty Industries and it's a huge reason why I'm so fond of the game. I just think the big interconnected nature of it all is so cool and as a kid I loved to explore.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah I'm a bit conflicted about this level. I think conceptually it's cool as hell, but I can't deny that it's quite tedious to actually navigate in practice.

The gimmick with the train though? That part rules. I love that you have to infiltrate the place and open it from the inside.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah I'm a bit conflicted about this level. I think conceptually it's cool as hell, but I can't deny that it's quite tedious to actually navigate in practice.

That's basically my opinion of the whole game. I love the idea of it but the execution gets too annoying in a lot of ways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't played this game in a while, but put me down as a Grunty Industries apologist. It's the most Banjo-Tooie level in the game: lots of neat ideas, interconnected as hell, but could have really benefitted from one more editorial pass. Artix's comment about how it should have been the last world in this game is spot-on in particular.

The gimmick with the train though? That part rules. I love that you have to infiltrate the place and open it from the inside.

Yeah it rules. Most interesting bit of cross-world hopping in this game for sure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Infiltrate? There's no way banjo is management. He's just taking the train into work like everyone else.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah GI is amazing, your co-commenters' opinions are simply wrong!!

The train station thing blew my mind as a kid and much like a lot of the other things in the game, it really says a lot about you as a gamer if you go "man that's clever" or "gently caress you for making me do this" :colbert:

Also the music is sooo goood

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think I've said this before but 99% of the problems with this game are navigation based and could be solved with better signage and maybe a map that appears as you explore.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah GI is amazing, your co-commenters' opinions are simply wrong!!

The train station thing blew my mind as a kid and much like a lot of the other things in the game, it really says a lot about you as a gamer if you go "man that's clever" or "gently caress you for making me do this" :colbert:

Also the music is sooo goood

Yes, having to infiltrate the level from the train is really cool and I thought so as a kid too! The level has a really good vibe overall (music included!)

But you gotta admit man the level is an utter misery to actually play. You have three THREE ways to move between floors, objectives spread around among every single one of the FIVE floors the place has (the bunnies and batteries being by far the worst offenders), not much in the way of landmarks, and the layout isn't terribly logical either! I got lost. I couldn't remember where stuff was. It was frustrating!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, having to infiltrate the level from the train is really cool and I thought so as a kid too! The level has a really good vibe overall (music included!)

But you gotta admit man the level is an utter misery to actually play. You have three THREE ways to move between floors, objectives spread around among every single one of the FIVE floors the place has (the bunnies and batteries being by far the worst offenders), not much in the way of landmarks, and the layout isn't terribly logical either! I got lost. I couldn't remember where stuff was. It was frustrating!
I gotta admit that it is quite confusing, but I do think that part of that is deliberate design, and you are supposed to learn more and more about the layout as you go along. We've already seen a sign that blatantly tells you where the batteries are - I remember noting that down as a kid - and there's tons of signs on the wall that tell you "this way to [x] room". The floors being distinct helps a lot in that aspect as well, and once again, you can either say having multiple ways to get to and fro is confusing, or you think "man I can't go from 3 to 4 like this, but I can go to 5 and then one down, that's so clever". I fall firmly in the latter camp!

Keep also in mind that we just came from Terridactiland, which had no signs on any of the cave entrances, so that's where you can really get lost - was this the Unga Bunga cave, or the the one with freezing cavemen (or are those the...never mind)? Is this the path to the train station, or the Styracosaurus cave?

I prefer five floors of GI, personally. It's just a different kind of complexity.

Also, I just remembered, much like for myself in multiple replays, the gang never encountered a whole-rear end NPC in T-land, huh

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Simply Simon posted:

Also, I just remembered, much like for myself in multiple replays, the gang never encountered a whole-rear end NPC in T-land, huh

So you're saying they only encountered half-assed NPCs? :v:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Grunty Industries is the most BT stage in the game but it also loving rules.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I unabashedly love Grunty Industries.

It helps if you know shooting out the security cameras stops the Tintops from spawning, btw.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 1, 2023

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I can't tell whether that first Banjo Gets Ejected From The Hot Water was based on fall damage or an ill-timed fireball like the second one was.

And... yeah, we're not turning that swimming hole into a hot tub.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

If this were Conker you'd totally boil the pigs.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The solution for the cracked building and that other thing being "just wait around" still makes me mad. I was unlucky enough as a kid that the dragon attack never lined up with me being there, and got stuck super hard on finishing this level!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dang it, the pigs were on to banjo's plans for free bacon!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

FoolyCharged posted:

Dang it, the pigs were on to banjo's plans for free bacon!

If you boil them whole it'd be a ham roast rather than bacon wouldn't it? I'm not exactly fluent in cuts of pig.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
One of my favorite pieces of N64 music, and a really great example IMO of Rare's music style. That incredibly filthy baritone sax sound in particular :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Man, the alien just dying messed me up as a kid, and even as an adult I'm not really sure I understand why they framed it how they did. It's not particularly silly or funny, it's just protracted and kinda uncomfortable for what it is. Like, hey, here's a new area! Here's an NPC plummeting to their death after saying they're okay! Kid me was freaked out!

I was super excited when Gobi showed up and it was revealed this was "the lava world" he mentioned in the first game. This level is pretty fun all in all, and the music helps.