Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Maxi scoots are quite often the fastest things in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I guess it depends on the town as well. Maybe riding round a big grid-iron US city lends itself to cruisin rather than like an Italian or Spanish town where you would struggle to get round some corners

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Scoots in London are typically driven by the most cynical, nihilistic and jaded motorcyclists I've ever seen. No gap is too small, no bus too intimidating. Cigarette in one hand, mid-argument on the phone in the other but inexplicably flinging the handlebars full lock to full lock every 3 seconds while leaning on the horn, and mounting the kerb to shave 10ths off the courier drop off time.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

not dead yet posted:

That looks sweet!

Yeah its pretty nice. They had 2 M1000R's in too, a black one and a white one. The black one is awesome, like it much more than the white one I test rode.

Trying to decide if I want to replace standard end can with a smaller slip-on or not. I'm not interested in a full system, its gonna be daily ridden so don't want all the extra noise.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'll toss another recommendation for a supermoto. I was in this thread earlier looking to replace my 690. I realized, in my heart of hearts, that there is no replacing it. It is hands down the most fun I can have on a bike and I'll just have to get a more comfortable bike to accompany it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pinny posted:

Yeah its pretty nice. They had 2 M1000R's in too, a black one and a white one. The black one is awesome, like it much more than the white one I test rode.

Trying to decide if I want to replace standard end can with a smaller slip-on or not. I'm not interested in a full system, its gonna be daily ridden so don't want all the extra noise.

Don't waste money on slip ons, just ride your sweet new bike.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

ant mouth posted:

I'll toss another recommendation for a supermoto. I was in this thread earlier looking to replace my 690. I realized, in my heart of hearts, that there is no replacing it. It is hands down the most fun I can have on a bike and I'll just have to get a more comfortable bike to accompany it.

Supermotos seem like they're here for a good time, not a long time. That is tempting, but I do mostly just enjoy a chill cruise. And my wife doesn't come along that often, but it does happen. So a UJM or Sportster would be much much better for that.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

wow, this is gorgeous

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got all those weird tumors tho

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I acknowledge the trade off I’m making between pretty and utility. At least all of it comes off really easy!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Depends if you want to ride fast and crazy or slow and lazy

If you want to ride fast and lazy just get a scooter

What about slow and crazy?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

builds character posted:

Moped.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Bozo bike

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

builds character posted:

powered unicycle time baby!!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Invalido posted:

Got sniped on that Honda NX250 sadly. Would a 1990 Suzuki DR350S for €1800 be worth looking into?

Late reply, but ive not heard anything negative about it. For that price, yes.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 23, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Didn't have time to act on that one either, it was pretty far away. The search continues.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Any thoughts on
- the current generation XSR900
- a f750gs
- a 2015/2016 r nine t classic

I’m at the point where I want a bike back in my life, and these appeal to me in one way or another. The gs promises to be a good all-rounder, the nine t scratches my boxer itch, and the xsr seems like a great deal and pleasantly retro-futuristic? Also unobtainium, but details.

I’ve owned an f800gs and 2x r1200gsa, but I really only want a bike for a fun 10 mile commute in semi-rural OH; mostly straight roads, a few roundabouts. I’d also like to stay below ~$13K, preferably lower. It’s kinda becoming obvious that I’d really like two bikes, so the lower the price, the easier a second bike would be to pick up.

(In my darkest moments, I’m eyeing r1200c as a second bike. What is wrong with me)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Those bikes are pretty different from each other. $13k is a new Ducati Monster+

Is your commute on the highway or just regular roads? I wouldn't get the F750 for a fun bike but sounds like it is to commute so depends on the priority.

Anyway get a Monster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would not get a European bike if commuting is my aim

Fun
Reliability
Style

Pick two

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

I would not get a European bike if commuting is my aim

Fun
Reliability
Style

Pick two

Style (single sided swing arm non negotiable) and my idea of fun is roasting my nuts. What do I get?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ducati, super duke or speed triple are the only paths open to you, go with god my child

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Ducati, super duke or speed triple are the only paths open to you, go with god my child

:italy: it is then! I have always liked red

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Those bikes are pretty different from each other. $13k is a new Ducati Monster+

Is your commute on the highway or just regular roads? I wouldn't get the F750 for a fun bike but sounds like it is to commute so depends on the priority.

Anyway get a Monster.

The commute is on what passes for back roads in NW Ohio: single lane, 55mph speed limit, virtually straight, only mildly entertaining because of 3x roundabouts and 2x traffic lights.

The 750gs would open up possibilities like “oh, I have a meeting in Chicago? May as well take the bike!”, but yes, would be less fun on a daily basis.

I did kinda, sorta, look into Monsters about 10 years back. Gotta say, the new Monster is butt ugly. Not sure what they were thinking. And people seem to think that a 2017 821 is worth $11K? The closest dealership is almost 100 miles from me, which seems like a bad idea for aspirational Duc ownership.

On the other hand, my BMWs never had a single issue in almost 10 years of ownership either. Still seems like a wildly optimistic approach to owning a Ducati.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MT09 and wheelie all the way to work.

There are also the middle sized adv bikes if you want to go on longer trips like Tenere 700 and CB500X.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
As you've noticed there are vanishingly few Ducati or BMW dealers in Ohio - if you're up near Toledo you're going to be stuck going to Detroit, Cleveland, or Columbus for Ducati and you can add Middletown for BMW. None of those drives/rides would be even remotely fun, it's all straight slab through flat farmland, and if you're heading into Cleveland you get to pay to do it.

The previous-gen XSR was a hoot, I'm sure the current gen is too. Suspension and overall luxe factor won't be up there with the eurobikes but dealer-based service and recalls (if there are any) will be a lot easier to deal with. They also don't have idiot lights that only the dealer or a $400 3rd party tool can turn off.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

As you've noticed there are vanishingly few Ducati or BMW dealers in Ohio - if you're up near Toledo you're going to be stuck going to Detroit, Cleveland, or Columbus for Ducati and you can add Middletown for BMW. None of those drives/rides would be even remotely fun, it's all straight slab through flat farmland, and if you're heading into Cleveland you get to pay to do it.

The previous-gen XSR was a hoot, I'm sure the current gen is too. Suspension and overall luxe factor won't be up there with the eurobikes but dealer-based service and recalls (if there are any) will be a lot easier to deal with. They also don't have idiot lights that only the dealer or a $400 3rd party tool can turn off.

We live in a suburb out SW of Toledo. I travel a lot through DTW, so I’m intimately familiar with the quality of the road surface once you hit MI alright.

The 2023 MT range with the Cyan Storm color scheme could work - it goes full circle from fugly to cool cyberpunk bike. But it also means I’d have to go new.

Now I’m trying to figure out if I should go MT03 + RnineT, or MT07 or MT09 instead. I’ve seen positive feedback on the MT07. Anyone have experience with the MT03 and MT09?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The MT-03 is a fabulous little bike, won't have any trouble cruising at 55 but I hope you have a quiet helmet (or you could stick a windscreen on it I guess). The only reasons I'm thinking about trading mine in is to get more room for luggage/passengers, but if I can figure out a way to have two bikes I'm def keeping it for in-city stuff.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

bizwank posted:

The MT-03 is a fabulous little bike, won't have any trouble cruising at 55 but I hope you have a quiet helmet (or you could stick a windscreen on it I guess). The only reasons I'm thinking about trading mine in is to get more room for luggage/passengers, but if I can figure out a way to have two bikes I'm def keeping it for in-city stuff.

There’s a dealer in Cleveland with a MT-09 cyan storm at a reasonable price, and another dealer with a MT-03 cyan storm halfway between me and Cleveland.

Guess I’m gonna grab a trailer tomorrow morning and come back with one of the two later in the day

EDIT:

In a surprise twist, I’m buying a Triumph Trident.
v:v:v

morothar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 1, 2023

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

morothar posted:

There’s a dealer in Cleveland with a MT-09 cyan storm at a reasonable price, and another dealer with a MT-03 cyan storm halfway between me and Cleveland.

Guess I’m gonna grab a trailer tomorrow morning and come back with one of the two later in the day

EDIT:

In a surprise twist, I’m buying a Triumph Trident.
v:v:v

Good choice, three cylinders are better than four.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Geekboy posted:

I also have a '23 Bonneville T120 that I am just loving in love with. I fully admit I'm a simp for that bike right now. The power delivery is really polite when you want it to be, but it has as much or more power than the Harley when you want to give it the beans.

I've joined team simp! I got it on Friday and took it easy, riding around town and getting used to the feel. Sunday I went on a ~2 hour ride out into the woods east of Portland and holy poo poo what a nice bike. It's a bit of a pig in corners; I can feel the extra lbs. But everything else about it is so fantastic. Really really like the Bonneville.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
The blacked out Bonneville looks really good. I mean they all look good but I think I like that one the most, overall.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Fender posted:

I've joined team simp! I got it on Friday and took it easy, riding around town and getting used to the feel. Sunday I went on a ~2 hour ride out into the woods east of Portland and holy poo poo what a nice bike. It's a bit of a pig in corners; I can feel the extra lbs. But everything else about it is so fantastic. Really really like the Bonneville.

:rock:

I really like the blacked out bikes, even if they’re not the ones I would personally choose. They look so good.

Finding the right balance of shiny and black is gonna be a long term project on my bike, especially now that I’ve done a proper road trip on it and know it as well as I do.

I definitely want bikes for other purposes, but I intend for my Bonneville to be someone’s problem when I die (hopefully a very long time from now). Over 5,000 miles since March and I still grin like an idiot at how pretty it is every time I see it.

imadethis
Jul 14, 2012

fuck off polisie car
I’m currently in love with the Kawasaki ZX4RR and the dealer near me is quoting 1-2 months for delivery. Any reason I shouldn’t pick one up? Full disclosure if you have a solid reason not to I’m probably going to ignore you.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dealer is going to tack on 2k of bullshit I’m sure and if you want to uncork the engine you need to flash the cpu. So at like 13k…. Is it still super cool to you? There are a ton of cool bikes around that price range.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's a 400cc inline 4. It is super cool. There literally is no other screamer out there that hasn't got obscene amounts of power that makes it less fun to ride, while still being an actual sports bike.

It might very well be the last, or at the very least one of the last inline 4 road legal bikes out there. Just look at how violently they need to throttle it to pass american regulations. If you ever want a brand new inline 4 sportbike, this is pretty close to the last chance you'll get.
There are still some others out there (CB650 but not very sporty, BMW s1000r but probably way too much bike for most people) - but i don't see something in the 70-100hp range being introduced anymore.

It is a lot of money and i personally am not willing to pay that much, but i'll jump on one once depreciation drops the price by about half.

Alternative: spend 3000 on a 2nd hand 400cc class bike and another 3000 on repairs and maintenance in the first 2 years.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 8, 2023

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Picked it up this morning, finally!

Its raining a little though so only rode back home so far. Its supposed to clear up this afternoon so can hopefully go scrub the tires in some.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

imadethis posted:

I’m currently in love with the Kawasaki ZX4RR and the dealer near me is quoting 1-2 months for delivery. Any reason I shouldn’t pick one up? Full disclosure if you have a solid reason not to I’m probably going to ignore you.

Buy it up OP. I like mine, it’s fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope lots of people buy zx4s so that there's both a thriving used market and its still for sale new in a couple years

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

moxieman posted:

Buy it up OP. I like mine, it’s fun.

Did you post pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've got no dog in this fight, but here's fortnine's review. Maybe typical fortnine hot take, but I can see being able to wring it's neck at legal speeds as appealing. I guess it's one of those "if it sounds good it is good" things. Could it be made better? Probably. Is it still good as is? Probably? I guess if you ride it and love it in its low power form, after a few years if you find yourself wanting more, you can uncork it and have a whole new bike that you already love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7zpmjJKic