Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dog Friday posted:

So we don't want Wagner to win and we don't like Putin either... What's the best outcome from all this?

Probably Putin and his closest cronies being taken out in a decapitation strike by Wagner, then the regular Russian troops taking out Prigozhin/Wagner in a clean operation, with the interim government announcing a cease-fire with Ukraine.

A coup/civil war is never a good time for anyone even tangentially involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1672578805842563073

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

oh my god hes going to lose

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dog Friday posted:

So we don't want Wagner to win and we don't like Putin either... What's the best outcome from all this?

Someone in Kremlin who's tired of this poo poo circus topples Putin, pulls out of Ukraine, deals with Prigozhin, and at least puts Russia on the trajectory towards something resembling a functioning democratic state. There is no indication of it happening, but then there was no real indication that Wagner would march on Moscow either.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I suspect this might be Russian media trying to discredit Prigozhin. But who the gently caress knows anymore.

I don't think its possible to discredit Prigozhin. He has no good will, he is a convicted criminal. His only redeeming quality is that he almost never lies in his press releases.

Which can be huge or nothing

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mine clearance is much easier if it's not under fire.

Also, Russian mobiks have cell phones that they call or text family and friends back home, they will find out what's going on and maybe decide it's not worth dying for a piece of Ukraine. Or be worried about scary Wagner people roaming about their hometown. Or just use the confusion to make their way back home.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Also, Russian mobiks have cell phones that they call or text family and friends back home, they will find out what's going on and maybe decide it's not worth dying for a piece of Ukraine. Or be worried about scary Wagner people roaming about their hometown. Or just use the confusion to make their way back home.

theyre not supposed to use cell phones it reveals their location

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Young Freud posted:

Maybe, but at the very least, if they are going to leave, Ukraine wants to let them, and if they aren't, they are going to want to strike the right place

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Wagner Group veterans have been told to wait for the go-ahead to join the uprising, according to the independent outlet iStories.

“We’re waiting for the official order from [Prigozhin]. The Russian National Guard and the army are refusing to obey orders, and we’ve been ordered to stand by in full combat readiness. There should be an order on further actions closer to lunchtime,” said on former member who fought in Ukraine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1672583840337100800

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672583668135522306?s=20

A few hours to go.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 24, 2023

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This would probably be the funniest thing to happen in human history if it weren't for the nukes

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FishBulbia posted:

This would probably be the funniest thing to happen in human history if it weren't for the nukes

We all want to lol off the chain at this, we desperately wish to lmao, but as of yet our mirth is held in check by deep empathy and concern for willo's balls

(USER BUBUBUBDUBDUBDBUBD FOR THIS FHDKJHFJHDF)

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

You have lost Moscow without unsheathing your sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCc67pn98Q8

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

Seems like Putin actually went to Tver

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Woke up to piss, checked the thread, am now laughing too hard to get back to sleep

Lol

Lmao

:laffo: even

E; ^ Still hilarious

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

in a shocking twist a lone buk missile rises to avenge its fallen comrade

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza

quote:

According to a source close to the Russian military’s General Staff who spoke to the outlet iStories, Putin plans to have his security forces “eliminate” Yevgeny Prigozhin and to offer amnesty to all Wagner fighters.

The source said that the Russian military doesn’t have the strength to stop Prigozhin from reaching Moscow, and that it’s currently gathering troops from all units that aren’t currently on the front.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Isn't it a reasonable move to relocate top leadership from an area that can develop into an active combat zone? I don't get this he fleeing so he is a coward stuff. Shows that the situation is very uncomfortable though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
What a total loving shitshow this has become. Already by the time the three-day operation against Kyiv had lasted a month I thought things had reached maximum stupidity, yet here we are.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hryme posted:

Isn't it a reasonable move to relocate top leadership from an area that can develop into an active combat zone? I don't get this he fleeing so he is a coward stuff. Shows that the situation is very uncomfortable though.

It is not unreasonable, but Zelenskyy stayed in Kyiv. People are going to draw comparisons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hryme posted:

I mean yes, but it still shows a lack of confidence by the leadership.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hryme posted:

When Ghani fled Kabul Afghanistan fell, when Gaddafi fled tripoli so did libya, zelensky stayed in kyiv and its still standing.

When the leader flees, especially in a place where people are accustomed to the leader always placing their own wealth and safety above theirs it signals to the population that the war is over. The leader has moved into save their skin mode and the people follow their lead.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1672583310730723328

I don't know what I would prefer if I was a citizen of Rostov. Wagner occupation or Chechen liberation...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hryme posted:

Reasonable? Yes.

absofuckinglutely embarrassing that your own capital can’t repel your own (former) mercenary troops and your capital is also about to become an active combat zone?

Also yes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hryme posted:

Because Zelenskyy actively refused to flee his capital when it came under attack ("I don't need a ride, I need more ammo"). So on one hand you have a president who stays in his capital when it is actively under fire, and one president who flees the second things look bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hryme posted:

Zelensky stayed in Kiev while it was being assaulted and Spetsnaz guys were trying to black-bag him. Prudent or not, it makes Putin look like a massive quivering bitch by contradistinction

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Paladinus posted:

It is not unreasonable, but Zelenskyy stayed in Kyiv. People are going to draw comparisons.

yeah and it's not about cowardice or courage, it's that it communicates a lack of faith that you will still control your city in 48 hours

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I would be more interested in winning (and staying alive) that what looks embarrassing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1672583310730723328

I don't know what I would prefer if I was a citizen of Rostov. Wagner occupation or Chechen liberation...

wow like 5 whole btrs, they're going to do literally jack poo poo

Hryme posted:

I would be more interested in winning (and staying alive) that what looks embarrassing.

yes that's why it is significant: it suggest that the staying alive move is to run away

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Staluigi posted:

Yeah we're gonna be needing a truly inspired new thread title asap

I need our best minds on it cause I'm not gonna come up with anything more clever than wagner the dog

War in Ukraine: Swan Lake Eurobeat Remix

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 24, 2023

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Hryme posted:

For Putin, looking embarrassing may be the reason you won't be alive soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah and it's not about cowardice or courage, it's that it communicates a lack of faith that you will still control your city in 48 hours

I guess I don’t understand that cause if Biden or the former guy “fled” to a secure military base while the capital was being invaded so what?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Hryme posted:

It becomes a more difficult choice when you're an autocratic dictator trying to cling to power in the face of abject failure and winning (and staying alive) and looking embarrassed are mutually exclusive for you...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Uh...

Roadblocks are up...

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
War in Ukraine: ZvZ

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

dennyk posted:

It becomes a more difficult choice when you're an autocratic dictator trying to cling to power in the face of abject failure and winning (and staying alive) and looking embarrassed are mutually exclusive for you...

I don't know if Putin needs to keep up appearances this much to stay in control. Guess I will learn if he ends up winning this.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

A convoy of Wagner Group fighters has been spotted in the village of Krasnoye in Russia’s Lipetsk district (based on video geolocated by Meduza). An eyewitness from the area confirmed having seen people in unmarked camouflage uniforms.

According to Google Maps, Krasnoye is about 400 kilometers (or about 250 miles) from Moscow.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Dog Friday posted:

No one launches a loving nuke, in my opinion.

(If this is very unlikely, I'd be happy to know that fact).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Paladinus posted:

Not just Zelensky, loving Stalin stayed in Moscow. Like Putin's hard man mystique and constant comparisons with similar figures in Russia's past will really bite him here if it looks like he's scared and saving his own behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hryme posted:

Maybe it's reasonable according to some criteria, but even worse from the symbolic blow it represents, it never should have come to it. The fact that leaving the capital and preparing for a siege can even begin to appear reasonable is a failure of an unimaginable magnitude.