Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Watching James Cameron commenting and he's not being diplomatic. Points out that more time has passed between the first deep submergence vehicles of this type and today than between Kitty Hawk and the first 747 and yet there's never been a major incident or loss of life; it's a "mature art." He thinks the certification process is the gold standard. For those who might have missed it, the owner of the Titan blew off certification.

My 12 year old is hilarious, I brought up that the, "World's greatest pioneer," had commented on the incident (see the James Cameron South Park episode for reference, it's brilliant) and he said he'd be thrilled to die knowing that James Cameron would be on national TV commenting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Am I understanding correctly that neither OceanGate nor the passengers' families are going to be stuck with a bill for this colossal waste of resources? That's maybe the most unamerican thing ever, if you cause a helicopter rescue here because you were a dumbass, you're loving paying for it, and this is ultracommunist Europe I'm talking about.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

Am I understanding correctly that neither OceanGate nor the passengers' families are going to be stuck with a bill for this colossal waste of resources? That's maybe the most unamerican thing ever, if you cause a helicopter rescue here because you were a dumbass, you're loving paying for it, and this is ultracommunist Europe I'm talking about.

Billionaires don't follow normal people rules.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Herein referred to as "a 'plosion". The submarine 'ploded. We're not sure which direction, but we definitely heard it 'plode.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Potrzebie posted:

Billionaires don't follow normal people rules.

They're also not charging non-billionaires.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
even if i die over the course of a 20 year wasting illness i want my last words recorded as "i have information leading to the arrest of hillary cl..."

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

gschmidl posted:

That’s where the tax payers come in, bud. We pay for the billionaires’ stupidity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gschmidl posted:

yeah funny thing, communist helleurope often thinks really stupid things about what does or doesn't happen in these united states because it's funner to be baffled online

source: dual citizen, am from both SSR europe and murrkkka

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Watching James Cameron commenting and he's not being diplomatic. Points out that more time has passed between the first deep submergence vehicles of this type and today than between Kitty Hawk and the first 747 and yet there's never been a major incident or loss of life; it's a "mature art." He thinks the certification process is the gold standard. For those who might have missed it, the owner of the Titan blew off certification.

My 12 year old is hilarious, I brought up that the, "World's greatest pioneer," had commented on the incident (see the James Cameron South Park episode for reference, it's brilliant) and he said he'd be thrilled to die knowing that James Cameron would be on national TV commenting on it.

uhh you sure you want your 12 year old doomposting so early in the game

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alan Smithee posted:

Right? He might end up becoming a goon at this rate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sure, maybe your kid is going to be all manner of messed up but their shitpost game is on point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we cannot allow a shitpost gap

we need to ender game the kids into online mentats

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

He wasn't making fun of the people who died, just saying it would be cool (and in seriousness, he's laughing as he said it) to have James Cameron talk about your death. So he's perfectly healthy and balanced. :)

Lodo
May 9, 2006
Actually a cow.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah funny thing, communist helleurope often thinks really stupid things about what does or doesn't happen in these united states because it's funner to be baffled online

source: dual citizen, am from both SSR europe and murrkkka

What’s the really stupid thing in this instance?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Lodo posted:

What’s the really stupid thing in this instance?

If you charge for SAR, who is going to be most affected by that?

1) Dumbass rich people who get in trouble
2) A normal person who gets screwed over and has to call for help and is now on the hook for way too much money
3) The person who waited too long to call because they were worried about the bill and is now dead

You could say charge it to the company, but now you have some commercial fishermen being trained to wait as long as possible because of 3) above, and now they're dead.

SAR and healthcare should both be socialized for the common good.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ranbo das posted:

If you charge for SAR, who is going to be most affected by that?

1) Dumbass rich people who get in trouble
2) A normal person who gets screwed over and has to call for help and is now on the hook for way too much money
3) The person who waited too long to call because they were worried about the bill and is now dead

You could say charge it to the company, but now you have some commercial fishermen being trained to wait as long as possible because of 3) above, and now they're dead.

SAR and healthcare should both be socialized for the common good.

How about SAR is free until you have a net worth above $1,000,000. At which point you don't get rescued and your assets are distributed to SAR and poverty reduction charities.

But seriously, yeah agreed. I had an idea for people who get rescued because they're lost; no fee except making them buy a spot tracker/device and a years subscription so their dumb rear end doesn't need SAR again. But it wouldn't work because dumb gonna dumb.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 23, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Is it really a significant problem? There aren't a lot of billionaires getting lost in subs and I'd rather not mess up and overcomplicate things over something so rare.

I don't actually know how much these operations cost though. I'm sure it's a ton if you bill by the hour for every person and piece of hardware involved, but in practice those people are being paid anyway, the hardware exists anyway and is not built for this one job, and they get to do some real-world exercise. I wonder what the additional costs over normal operations would look like.

Lodo
May 9, 2006
Actually a cow.
Crap, not only did I not get it, I proved mr. Ho’s point by asking as well!

I have been educated :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh my god

this poo poo is gold

his son's fear of whales and giant squid loving saved him hahahahahahahaha

"helicopters are safer"

no non-military sub injuries

*cough* kim wall *cough*

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Alan Smithee posted:

oh my god

this poo poo is gold

"helicopters are safer"

*cough* kim wall *cough*

What kind of dad is that derisive of his own son and then shares it on social media? What an rear end in a top hat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

What kind of dad is that derisive of his own son and then shares it on social media? What an rear end in a top hat.

one who was saved by his stupidity

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Alan Smithee posted:

one who was saved by his stupidity

To be fair, those are some pretty stupid things to worry about when there were far more realistic safety threats to be terrified of.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've done some research and I have concerns about this expedition

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nope, it was, drumroll...

...of course, the Jews. *sigh*

https://www.mediamatters.org/rumble/stew-peters-rothschilds-conspiracy-theory-oceangate-sub-was-sunk-hide-truth-it-wasnt-iceberg

In case it needed to be said, I do not in fact think the Jews sank the Titanic or the Titan.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Alan Smithee posted:

As someone with a lifelong fear of squid and octopus, I'm glad to see a sensible phobia saving lives.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the ocean is perfectly safe 99.99% of all deaths occur on land dummies

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alan Smithee posted:

oh my god

this poo poo is gold

"helicopters are safer"

*cough* kim wall *cough*

I wonder if a squid knocked a gasket loose and triggered the implosion.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I feel like military sub casualties should count a little bit

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if a squid knocked a gasket loose and triggered the implosion.

Reporter: "If the Navy had arrived earlier, could they have defeated the squid before it triggered the implosion?"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That expedition ended basically like the Sopranos finale.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alan Smithee posted:

oh my god

this poo poo is gold

"helicopters are safer"

*cough* kim wall *cough*

His kid's "stupid" concerns saved him from being turned into apple sauce.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Zesty posted:

His kid's "stupid" concerns saved him from being turned into apple sauce.

Not even close to a lie. At that pressure and depth the implosion would happen literally faster than you would perceive it. You're not even biology at that point, you're physics.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Goddamn, Rush was double wrong.

No injuries in 35 years? Yeah, for all those other operators who follow safety standards and industry best practices and take them seriously. All that stuff he ignored.

Safer than mundane stuff like helicopter flights or scuba diving? No, not even for those responsible operators. If you've got one activity that's been done for millions upon millions of times, against one that's done... I don't know how many deep sea dives have been done, but I know it's orders of magnitude fewer, the thing that's essentially still at an experimental stage will essentially always be more dangerous, simply due to a comparative lack of accumulated experience. This reminds me of Jared Isaacman, flying on the Dragon spacecraft, saying it's probably safer than the training flights they had on aircraft. That's just not understanding the risk. Dragon is no death trap submarine, it's probably as safe as the state of the art in spaceflight can get, which means... not very. Certainly nowhere near any kind of aircraft. Simply because we have mountains more flight experience with planes than with spacecraft and we have found way more problems and the state of the art in safety is immensely further along.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 24, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbh even if it was true I'm not sure that "as safe as flying in a helicopter" is a ringing endorsement

they're basically the submarines of the air except they plode the other way

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
"Imploded Ross Kemp" would be a pretty good username.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
drat someone at the BBC hates him, that is not a flattering picture lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is that a before or after implosion pic

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

drat someone at the BBC hates him, that is not a flattering picture lol

rude that's just his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

hemale in pain posted:

rude that's just his face

one of those "removed the stocking post bank robbery and face stayed that way" visages