Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

What's that quote? "There are years where nothing happens, and there are weeks (days) where decades happen."

Said by Lenin about a Russian civil war just over 100 years ago. It's true what Mark Twain said, "history doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

there's a classic from the r/relationships thread where a woman's friends had been giving her terrible advice that had blown up a long term relationship and then it turns out they were just using her as a testing ground for stuff they were thinking about. welcome to the internet xi, interesting to have you?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Someone asked about the large jet that got shot down:

:nws: :nms: report has link to video of jet going down. No chutes, and I doubt anyone survived that.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/an-il-22m-air-borne-command-post-shot-down-in-the-voronezh-region/

quote:

The Aerospace Forces of the Russian Federation have lost an Il-22М11 air-borne command post.

A video of the fall of a burning aircraft was published on social media.

Enemy aviation suffered a loss in the sky over the Voronezh region.

Russian propagandist Ilya Tumanov posted information about the tail number of the lost aircraft – RA-75917.

This number belongs to an Il-22М11 air-borne command post aircraft, which is essentially an air command post of the enemy army.

It is known that in recent years the Russian Federation has been modernizing these aircraft.

Il-22М11 is an important link in the building of a system of a unified information field at the group of troops level.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 24, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Good morning friends it looks like I woke up and Putin is still the poop and president of the Russian federation.

Upon scrolling it looks like I did not say anything too crazy and very much so appreciate the people who reached out to toxic and told him I needed to be probed.

Now with all that out of the way, it looks like Wagner is attempting to seize nuclear weapons so thata real great. I'm really glad that shock therapy was done.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TulliusCicero posted:

Is akhmat the bearded tik tok guys?

Because lol they are going to fight Outer Heaven?

they aren't fighting outer heaven

they are fighting weird skull guy from XOF

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Brilliant well written antagonist Skullface?

:lol:

This poo poo is wild

What are the chances they can stop this at the gates of Moscow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Comstar posted:

:nws: :nms: report has link to video of jet going down. No chutes, and I doubt anyone survived that.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/an-il-22m-air-borne-command-post-shot-down-in-the-voronezh-region/

Don't they only have like four of those?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
STREET FIGHTS

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1672601801168760835

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/SmartUACat/status/1672588414917525504/photo/1

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

What are the chances they can stop this at the gates of Moscow?

If the Wagnerite aren't stopped by some manner of airpower I say the Rosgvardia melt away when contact is made on the ground.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's ok everyone Russia is good hands they got this guy running the show

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comstar posted:

Holy gently caress

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/yosariantwo/status/1672453619734413312?s=46&t=NaBsmRLSG8uFOhGCaXEuTA

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1672615546624389122

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jon posted:

Said by Lenin about a Russian civil war just over 100 years ago. It's true what Mark Twain said, "history doesn't repeat itself but it often rhymes."

Pretty sure that was George Lucas.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jon posted:

"Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce." (Karl Marx, 18th Brumaire)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672617141005066240

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If my smile were any wider, the top of my head would fall off :allears:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure that was George Lucas.

Putin looking at Wagner advance on Moscow:

"Its stylistically designed to be that way, and you can't undo that, but you can diminish the effects of it"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lomzus posted:

STREET FIGHTS

, Prigo ♫
Livin' just to find munitions
Hidin somewhere in the niiiii-iiiiiight ♫

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1672617002576355328?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Fun fact: during the last days of the battle of Berlin, most of the German defenders consisted of different SS Volunteer Divisions from across Europe!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672607662314233856

https://twitter.com/belwarriors/status/1672601122467467276

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CommissarMega posted:

If my smile were any wider, the top of my head would fall off :allears:

Apparently it was taken a week ago but they delayed announcing it?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

khwarezm posted:

"Its stylistically designed to be that way, and you can't undo that, but you can diminish the effects of it"

:lmao:

Set
Oct 30, 2005
So I just read a pretty good article on Yle about Prigozhin, who he is and where he came from, that I thought you guys might find interesting. Especially if you aren't super familiar with his background and are curious about why people call him the hotdog-man. The article is a month old, and contains some predictions that are really fascinating to see how they ended up now. There are lots of links in the article for further reading if you are interested in the topic.

The usual disclaimer: The untranslated article doesn't contain anything graphic, but clicking further on the news service or the links within the article may lead to material that certain goons may find disturbing.

Writers: Hanna Visala, Heikki Heiskanen
Release date: 12.05.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20014596

quote:

Prigozhin, known for his cruel tricks, was in Putin's background until everything changed last year - now the Wagner leader's audacity amazes

Yevgeni Prigozhin started his entrepreneurial career by selling hotdogs and ended up doing Putin's dirty work. Now he seems to be directly criticizing Putin.

Yevgeni Prigozhin, the founder of the private military company Wagner, has become known for his raucous performance, but in a video published on Tuesday, the day of the victory, he appeared to be guilty of an outright majesty crime.

Prigozhin already sounded like he was criticizing Russian President Vladimir Putin himself when he spoke of a "happy grandpa" that might turn out to be "the very last rear end in a top hat".

In the past, Prigozhin has criticized the Ministry of Defense. He has complained about insufficient ammunition supplies to his Wagner forces fighting in Bakhmut.

- Prigozhin is now clearly raising the stakes, says Professor Aki Huhtinen of the National Defense University.

He estimates that Prigozhin is talking primarily to his followers.

Prigozhin has the support of Russian war bloggers and hard-line nationalist circles. They want a more and more brutal war.

Prigozhin has had a strong bond with Putin, but it can now falter, Huhtinen estimates.

Prigozhin has publicly denied that he spoke about Putin. According to the sources of the Meduza news website, opinions are already circulating in the Kremlin that Prigozhin is not working for the common good, but is pursuing his own causes.

According to the article, Prigozhin may face serious problems for his statements, even though he has patrons in high circles.
Professor Huhtinen estimates that Putin's administration does not like to take actions that could raise some kind of unrest.

Prigozhin has behind him a mercenary army and supporters in pro-war nationalist circles.

An influential figure of the streets

According to Huhtinen, Prigožin has an exceptional ability to network. He is a kind of "street influencer" who moves nimbly in many places.

- If you need leather jackets, car tires, hotdogs or media coverage, call "Putin's chef", Huhtinen describes Prigožin's position.

Prigozhin comes from outside the security organizations after spending almost the entire 1980s in prison, so he does not share the KGB-background fraternity of Putin's inner circle.

Instead, he is able to trade and do dirty work. He has connections to both the security apparatus and business life.

From the underworld to a restaurant entrepreneur

Born in Leningrad in 1961, Prigožin graduated from a sports college, but a sports career did not appeal to him and he ended up in petty crime circles instead.

In 1981, he received a 13-year prison sentence for robbery, fraud and enticing teenagers to commit a crime.

Trial transcripts seen by the Meduza news website and the British newspaper The Guardian paint a grim picture of the young Prigozhin.

In one case, Prigozhin and his three companions had set out to follow a lonely woman through the streets of Leningrad. Prigozhin strangled the woman until she lost consciousness. The gang then robbed the woman of her boots and golden earrings.

Prigozhin was released from prison in 1990, in the middle of the disintegrating Soviet Union.

In Russia transitioning to capitalism, Prigozhin started his entrepreneurial career by selling hotdogs.

In 1996, Prigožin opened one of the first luxury restaurants in St. Petersburg. Staraja tamožnja, or the Old Customs House, located on Vasilis Island, became a favorite place for St. Petersburg's elite.

Mayor Anatoli Sobtšak dined there and sometimes brought his deputy mayor Vladimir Putin with him.

When Putin became president, he was happy to bring his guests to his former hometown. At that time, Prigožin's restaurants were often the places to eat.

- Vladimir Putin saw how I turned the hotdog-stall into a business. He saw that I don't hesitate to personally carry a plate for my distinguished guests, as after all they have arrived as my guests. We got acquainted when he came with Japanese Prime Minister [Yoshirō] Mori, then with [US President George] Bush, Prigozhin told the Gorod 812 website.

Soon, Prigožin's catering company Konkord began producing catering services for important state events and then winning significant public supply contracts. In 2012, it started delivering food to schools in Moscow. The company also received food orders from the armed forces.

Prigozhin began to be called "Putin's chef".

From chef to private warlord

In 2014, the occupation of Crimea and the war in eastern Ukraine brought a new addition to Prigozhin's services.

Prigozhin began to finance the private military company Wagner.

The Russian leadership sought to conceal its involvement in the war, and Wagner provided opportunities for that.

The Guardian writes that in the summer of 2014, a meeting was organized at the Russian Ministry of Defense, where Prigozhin asked the ministry for land as a training camp for "volunteers" going to eastern Ukraine.

According to the newspaper, Prigozhin said the order came from "Father", as Putin was called.

Prigozhin received a plot of land for a training camp in Molkino, located in southern Russia, from the Russian Ministry of Defense.

Through it, mercenaries began to travel to Syria, where Russia supported Bashar al-Assad's regime in the bloody civil war. The Reuters news agency reported on Molkino's camp in 2019.

Prigozhin also had another way of offering favors to the Russian leadership.

He created the Internet Research Agency, which later became known as the St. Petersburg Troll Factory. The company produced online propaganda and influence operations both in Russia and abroad.

Prigozhin's company, among other things, ran a network of fake profiles on social media during the 2016 US presidential election, which sought to support Donald Trump's campaign.

It is dangerous to challenge Prigozhin

Prigozhin denied for a long time his connection to both Wagner and the Internet Research Agency.

Journalists who investigated Prigozhin's actions experienced both threats and lawsuits.

The head of a slaughtered ram was delivered to the editorial office of the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, and a funeral wreath was delivered to the home of the journalist who wrote about Prigozhin.

In 2018, three Russian journalists were murdered in the Central African Republic when they tried to investigate the activities of the Wagner company.

When Russia launched its major invasion of Ukraine in 2022, the tide turned. Now Prigozhin wanted to take full credit for both Wagner and "St. Petersburg's troll farm".

In 2022, a video became public in which a man who looked like Prigožin gave a recruitment speech to prisoners in a penal colony. It turned out that Wagner was recruiting prisoners for the war against Ukraine.

Soon, Prigožin's press service published a text in which he said that he founded Wagner in 2014.

Prigozhin admitted his connection to the election influence operation in the United States in March of last year.

- Gentlemen, we got involved, we're getting involved and we're going to get involved. Precisely, exactly, surgically and in our very own way, just as we know how to, Prigozhin wrote on the Vkontakte site of his Konkord company.

Wagner made sledgehammer murders his signature

Recruiting prisoners also brought to the surface the brutality of the Wagner group.

Already in 2017, raw footage of the war in Syria spread, in which Wagner's fighters torture a Syrian man and finally murder him by, among other things, beating him with sledgehammers.
In November of last year, Greyzone, a channel of the Telegram messaging service connected to the group, published a video in which Wagner's fighters murdered with a sledgehammer Wagner's former fighter, Yevgeni Nužin, who was earlier imprisoned in Ukraine. Prigozhin commented approvingly of the video on his company's website.

When the European Parliament declared Wagner a terrorist organization, Prigozhin sent the parliament a bloody sledgehammer.

Prigozhin cherishes the image of as a tough man of the people

National Defense University professor Aki Huhtinen says that Prigožin has a carefully crafted image against oligarchs, i.e. rich big businessmen.

- He may be rich, but he skillfully positions himself on the side of the millions of Russians who hate the luxurious lifestyle of the oligarchs. Instead of fine fashion and European capitals, he appears in the trenches, Huhtinen describes.

Now the relationship between the official Russian armed forces and Wagner is very tense.

Putin has been in the habit of allowing some kind of competition between the different camps of his administration. The question mark is how long he can allow the current standoff to continue.

- The big question is also, where is the limit and whether Prigožin is carving a place for himself and how high, Professor Aki Huhtinen reflects.

I guess we just found out the limit!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The real interesting thing here is not that CSTO knocked him back but that he felt the need to ask them in the first place.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Even if the chechen want to fight i bet wagner would own them

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Have we heard from Solovyov yet? I can't wait for him to lose his poo poo. And by "his poo poo" I mean Putin, who is a real piece of poo poo.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672616852319551488?s=20

I can't say if this is accurate or not, but it probably does not matter anymore.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Lol

L m a o

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

Oh. I think NOW is the time for the Downfall edit. Holy poo poo it was all a joke and now it very well could be a real situation that plays out.

Phone posting but I hope someone doe the needful.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Somone secretly switched the copium with coupium

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
25,000 people is a lot but it's not THAT much compared to a modern nation's military. And Wagner has been complaining for a year that they're severely under supplied. And some significant percentage of their fighting force is just some dimwit convicts. And they're geographically spread out all over the Eastern front of Ukraine. I'm really surprised they're steamrolling their way to the nations capital, meeting either no resistance or blasting their way through fortified military installations like they were made of tissue paper.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Valdai doesn't seem like the most defensible position I mean it's surrounded by Forest on three sides and a lake to the north. I really don't know if Putin's thinking this one through.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Comstar posted:

What in the gently caress is happening?

:wtf:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Have we heard from Solovyov yet? I can't wait for him to lose his poo poo. And by "his poo poo" I mean Putin, who is a real piece of poo poo.

he's hit the road

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

doesn't Wagner realize that Götterdämmerung bad?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

LaserPrinter69 posted:

25,000 people is a lot but it's not THAT much compared to a modern nation's military. And Wagner has been complaining for a year that they're severely under supplied. And some significant percentage of their fighting force is just some dimwit convicts. And they're geographically spread out all over the Eastern front of Ukraine. I'm really surprised they're steamrolling their way to the nations capital, meeting either no resistance or blasting their way through fortified military installations like they were made of tissue paper.

If posts are to be believed, it sounds like they are adding to their ranks from the Russian regulars.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

LaserPrinter69 posted:

compared to a modern nation's military

yeah but what about compared to Russia's military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Word is Prig has been lying about being underfunded and instead stockpiling weapons and men for this assault and since Russia is full of thieves everyone assumed it was true.