Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

That's why Prigozhin is going to turn up dead within a few weeks time. I just can't really see another outcome.

This requires somebody to fear Putin more than Prig or have loyalty (lmao) to Putin of a high degree.

Its not impossible or something, just seems lower down the possibilities behind like, shoigu getting launched out a trebuchet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Russian channels reporting agreement provided for the resignation of Russian Ministry of Defense leadership while Prig focuses on Africa and is out of the conflict.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The coup imploded

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

parthenocarpy posted:

Love the people saying ending a potential coup that would terminate the presidency of Putin is itself the reason that will terminate the presidency of Putin. Like, what rulebook are you guys operating from? What is the correlation? You guys have to come up with this stuff from somewhere. Yeah its a really bad look, and I don't know how you extrapolate more than that

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672668143045554176

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018
Well thats an anticlimax :colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lol the tank is still stuck

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672673175040147458

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

Putin apparently capitulating to Wagner's demands to reshuffle the MOD does not bode well for his strong man image. Putin rules by fear and at this point more than a few people must be thinking "if this Wagner dude can pull a stunt like this unopposed and get what he wants, maybe I can rock the boat as well"

...I get that your interpration of how Putin rules is very narrowly defined like "rules by fear" but do you really believe that is a checklist item for him every morning? Like, he wakes up sore, thinking "Ahhh crap, my stongman image!" and somehow has a harder time oppressing an entire nation? I really want to understand how and why you guys think this hurts Putin.

Like, they're gonna go back to war with Ukraine right now, as if this never even happened, and practiced denialism is Russia normalizes all of this for them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't under any circumstances imagine Putin actually sacrificing his best buddy and most loyal dip poo poo Shoigu. Especially if Prigoblin has given up his leverage.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Barudak posted:

Generally in strong man regimes once you capitulate the other dudes who you have kept in check will accurately realize, oh, the guy to fear is the dude who just told you to gently caress off.

So, something that may be going on here is that Putin isn't just a strongman: he's also a a symbol of stability and legitimacy that no one else can replicate.

So basically what we’ve got here is your basic "janissaries march on Constantinople and put a new grand vizier in power" sort of situation.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Tei posted:

The coup imploded

Sounds like it kinda worked

kru
Oct 5, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

...I get that your interpration of how Putin rules is very narrowly defined like "rules by fear" but do you really believe that is a checklist item for him every morning? Like, he wakes up sore, thinking "Ahhh crap, my stongman image!" and somehow has a harder time oppressing an entire nation? I really want to understand how and why you guys think this hurts Putin.

Like, they're gonna go back to war with Ukraine right now, as if this never even happened, and practiced denialism is Russia normalizes all of this for them

Lol

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I can't under any circumstances imagine Putin actually sacrificing his best buddy and most loyal dip poo poo Shoigu. Especially if Prigoblin has given up his leverage.

I don't understand why anyone has deeply held reservations about anything happening at this point

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
A president who doesn't have control of his own armed forces is just a puppet. I doubt he'll run in the next presidential election in March.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So Prig deposes Shoigu, gets to be shadow president and goes to Africa where he can ensure his overall safety while warlording? meanwhile the replacement for Shoigu has to manage the mess left behind and Putin.... drinks himself to death?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haystack posted:

So, something that may be going on here is that Putin isn't just a strongman: he's also a a symbol of stability and legitimacy that no one else can replicate.

So basically what we’ve got here is your basic "janissaries march on Constantinople and put a new grand vizier in power" sort of situation.

Yeah thats the only thing that makes sense, but also, weirdly, it being this loving stupid also makes sense given Russia's [everything]

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It will be a spicy coincidence if whomever gets the choice MOD spot is also a Prig supporter.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

parthenocarpy posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672673430200635392

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

That's why Prigozhin is going to turn up dead within a few weeks time. I just can't really see another outcome.

I think he might have won in this thing. He gets to keep his private army which he just proves is the main thing keeping him alive and basically giving him license to bully the state.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

smoobles posted:

the goon who suggested watching anime instead of Russia news nailed it

If this could be the thread subtitle

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The last 12 hours have made absolutely no sense.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

parthenocarpy posted:

Somebody directly rebelled against Putin and came out the situation in a better position than before this happened. Its a pretty clear message that Putin isn't in a position to squash any opposition that dares to come his way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

So Prig deposes Shoigu, gets to be shadow president and goes to Africa where he can ensure his overall safety while warlording? meanwhile the replacement for Shoigu has to manage the mess left behind and Putin.... drinks himself to death?

I think it'll be the ultra nazi who founded Wagner

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
loving lol putins a political rooster now

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Do you realize there are people in America, right now, Millions of them, who have for years insisted that there are two presidents and nothing of consequence has really happened from that mass delusion? People wake up today thinking Trump is still president. People tomorrow will wake up thinking the Wagner CEO is president of Russia. And..... THEY ARE DELUSIONAL

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

Do you realize there are people in America, right now, Millions of them, who have for years insisted that there are two presidents and nothing of consequence has really happened from that mass delusion? People wake up today thinking Trump is still president. People tomorrow will wake up thinking the Wagner CEO is president of Russia. And..... THEY ARE DELUSIONAL

Trump hasn't yet gotten Biden to start replacing people in the DOJ at his whim.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Somebody directly rebelled against Putin and came out the situation in a better position than before this happened. Its a pretty clear message that Putin isn't in a position to squash any opposition that dares to come his way.
The next opposition doesn't have to take on Putin it has to take on the Wagner guys that have a pmc and also just won control of the Russian armed forces

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I didn't have "possible coup" on my bingo card going into the weekend. And I CERTAINLY didn't have "everyone turns their coup around and goes home" as the outcome less than a day later.

Is Tucker going to go on his Twitter show to tell us how smart and strong Putin is for doing absolutely nothing? Can't wait to see the talking points for this.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

Imagine, right, that trump was the defacto minister of defense in this analogy

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They both came out better

I don't know how you can see Putin facing an existential threat four hours ago, and no longer facing that threat as not a move up. I get it, people are like "Oh bottom G" on twitter, but SO? Putin stays in power, the war resumes, it loving sucks

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

im not sure how you could walk away from this and not think that prigozhin has emerged significantly more powerful and putin significantly weakened. A dude just straight up declared war on his own country and wasn't just not defeated but was rewarded for it! If you're someone who rules by fear this is absolutely catastrophic.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

They both came out better

I don't know how you can see Putin facing an existential threat four hours ago, and no longer facing that threat as not a move up. I get it, people are like "Oh bottom G" on twitter, but SO? Putin stays in power, the war resumes, it loving sucks

His entire regime operates under the idea that he is top-G

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

parthenocarpy posted:

trump's coup attempt failed miserably though, and he was given absolutely zero concessions and many of the insurrectionists are awaiting trial or already in prison

you're pretty stupid if you think the two events are anywhere near similar lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Russian MoD is 100% gonna get Wagnerfied now, so like, hell yeah Russia has fully Nazified Russia with its invasion.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Kind of wonder if maybe Prigozin didn't do it on his own, and if so, some of the others involved may be the ones actually pulling the strings. Best result might be if those people think the war needs to end.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

parthenocarpy posted:

Look I'm not American so idk what to tell you about this mass delusion stuff, but to my knowledge Trump did not actually march a brigade on Washington DC and obtain concessions from Biden. If he had, those people might be right that Trump was the actual guy in charge of America!

But in Russia, even when Medvedev was briefly president people still understood Putin was the guy actually in charge. If the MOD now gets staffed with people from Prigozhin's inner circle, or even just people who aren't Putin loyalists, suddenly this understanding no longer holds true.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So basically what happened was that Wagner got into shooting distance from Moscow and Putin's government surrendered as they didn't believe that Rosvgardia can take on Wagner and win.

Prig gets what he wants, MoD is shown to be completely toothless, and Putin is no longer the strongman who has an absolute monopoly on violence. In the meanwhile, Prig. and Wagner gets full pardon and basically a diplomatic immunity from now on, and can freely do whatever they feel like doing. Prog no longer takes orders from Putin or can at least freely ignore them, so its basically an open mutiny inside absolute dictators government.

This cease fire and new normal cannot be sustainable. Either Prig or Putin is dead before the first snow falls in Moscow.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 24, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

trump's coup attempt failed miserably though, and he was given absolutely zero concessions and many of the insurrectionists are awaiting trial or already in prison

you're pretty stupid if you think the two events are anywhere near similar lol

I didn't compare the events, what Trump event are you talking about? I didn't mention any, only the delusion of people thinking who is president and who isn't.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Good job Luka, finally securing that MoD position he's lusted after for all these years.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 24, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Are any concessions confirmed yet? Wagner guys seem pretty pissed at Prigozhin now, I think it's early to say he'll come out ahead in all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Kind of wonder if maybe Prigozin didn't do it on his own, and if so, some of the others involved may be the ones actually pulling the strings. Best result might be if those people think the war needs to end.
Those people think the war problem is that it's not total or genocidal enough