Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure both parties negotiated in good faith and now that everything is settled they will conduct the Special Military operation more efficiently than ever before. Also that Prigozhin will definitely be alive on July 1st.

Dude's got to know his chances of being alive long-term after defying Putin. Something else must be going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ploy to get Putin to fly back to Moscow so they can merc his plane on landing approach?

Idk I got nothing

This makes at least as much sense as anything else going on to me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/russophilels/status/1672588355366797312?s=46&t=gBwwYH66NlEwfgt7cOZWEg

lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The only way it makes sense to me is if Putin stepped off his plane in St. Petersburg and found himself facing house arrest and "negotiation" with people who sensed the blood in the water, but I am not a russianologist.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

All right, well this was probably the weirdest day in geopolitics since January 6th.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

All right, well this was probably the weirdest day in geopolitics since January 6th.

Its Jan 6th but the Rioters won.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The only thing the coup has going for it is speed. Taking some time off is the worst possible idea. Even a day gives the military enough time to rally reliable forces and prepare enough that Wagner's column will stall out.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Regardless of how this ends, Shoigu and Gerasimov are gone after this, right?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nessus posted:

Earlier in the thread there was mention that the southern district HQ in Rostov that all but gave Wagner cookies and tea as they rolled up to coup the government, had control over a slice of Russian military assets, including strategic forces. Presumably the idea being that if America blew up Moscow by surprise somehow, Rostov elements could nuke America back, or just to spread things around.

Presumably if Wagner had the Bomb, Prig could say "Here's how it is, Putin, I and my secret friend in this big tank with a radiation sign on it say that Rostov is now the People's Republic of Wagneria and we will be glad to let you run troops through it to Ukraine in exchange for a piece of the action."

That seems like it could still happen but I mean, you want to try for Moscow first.

Normally I would say "Surely they would not be _that_ stupid.", but its the Russian Government.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nessus posted:

If nothing else, Wagner drove an armored column 600km. Even in relatively friendly terrain they would want to consolidate and go "locate" some gasoline to refill the tanks.

Fuel probably isn't much of an issue, most of the Wagnerites should have credit cards that are accepted on any gas station they pass by.

There are apocryphal stories how the Lukoil-owned Teboil gas stations in Finland have surprisingly large storage tanks for diesel. They probably want to stock up whenever diesel is cheap on the market.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Saukkis posted:

Fuel probably isn't much of an issue, most of the Wagnerites should have credit cards that are accepted on any gas station they pass by.

There are apocryphal stories how the Lukoil-owned Teboil gas stations in Finland have surprisingly large storage tanks for diesel. They probably want to stock up whenever diesel is cheap on the market.

Supposedly one of their pre-positioned fuel depots got blown up earlier in the day, so it could be that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God, I come home from work to this insanity. Nothing about this deal makes sense, no one wins from it.

Putin and Prigozhin both look weak and piss of their backers, both of them are going to have to watch their backs(but especially Prigozhin), no one except the Ukrainians gained anything.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Perhaps the real coup was the collaborators we made along the way.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Nessus posted:

If nothing else, Wagner drove an armored column 600km. Even in relatively friendly terrain they would want to consolidate and go "locate" some gasoline to refill the tanks.

Most of their heavy equipment is being hauled by trucks, I doubt any of their tanks could actually push that far on their own.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The most likely reason for this pause on both sides is that they each need some time to collect themselves before the fighting starts in earnest.

yeah once I got over my initial disappointment I realize there is no reset possible where these two end up on the same side again

e- or more succinctly

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1672672550005145600

GD_American fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 24, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

yeah once I got over my initial disappointment I realize there is no reset possible where these two end up on the same side again

e- or more succinctly

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1672672550005145600

All I can hear is this soundtrack to this farce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66m52YFZBg

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Prigo got his hand-picked replacement for Shoigu

https://twitter.com/vik8867dn/status/1672679868285218819?s=61

lol this would be the most hilarious double-cross in history

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Well, this has been a big let down.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Well, this has been a big let down.

I don't think this is over.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The agreement sounds a lot like accepting that he and his people are going to be quietly liquidated in the next few days to months. I think this is still capable of kicking off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah I have a very hard time believing this is over. At best its fizzled, but Prig doubtless isn't ready to accept polonium tea.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I just can't get my mind wrapped around this. Putin just got humiliated by Prigozin, who literally rolled an armored column into Russia proper, and he's just going to agree, wave his hands, and pretend it never happened? Difficult to believe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elviscat posted:

Dude's got to know his chances of being alive long-term after defying Putin. Something else must be going on.

"run for it to the central african republic and become a very wealthy warlord" isn't a bad plan, but it relies on the deal holding up long enough for Prigo and ten thousand of his closest friends to get all the way out of dodge

gently caress knows what's gonna happen with the MOD

e:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 24, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wickerman posted:

I just can't get my mind wrapped around this. Putin just got humiliated by Prigozin, who literally rolled an armored column into Russia proper, and he's just going to agree, wave his hands, and pretend it never happened? Difficult to believe.

Putin capitulated because "lose face, replace the MoD, and start preparations for a massive purge" was much better outcome than "lose face, Moscow is occupied by rebels, war in Ukraine is a total loss, somethingsomething". Prigozhin also most likely liked the idea of "relocate to Belarus and escape" instead of "get killed in an airstrike in Moscow or Rostov".

But in any case, cat is now out of the bag, the great tsar is no longer all-powerful and beyond questioning.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wickerman posted:

Prigozhin has to know he's a dead man. He has to.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Im betting that Putin is out or dies first at this point. Probably more hopes than sound logic tho.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He hasn't made it this far by being stupid. He probably has some "retire to run a Wagner fiefdom in Africa as a warlord" up his sleeve, if he manages to board a plane in Belarus that doesn't magically disappear.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wickerman posted:

No loving chance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

No loving chance.

Yup. Putin, famously a merciful guy....

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. Putin, famously a merciful guy....

I misread. About to be a lot of bodies one way or the other.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What in the gently caress is going on

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

If you figure it out, let the rest of us know.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The Wagner guy is turning around but Putin has to lick the dog doo

Edit: the dog doo is white

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you figure it out, let the rest of us know.

Empty quote.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The world is made of clancychat

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ukraine Thread: What in the gently caress is going on

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

2 Coup 2 Belarus

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Armacham posted:

The Wagner guy is turning around but Putin has to lick the dog doo

Edit: the dog doo is white

I refuse to believe it just ends like this :psyduck:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The world is made of clancychat

clancy himself would never have written such drivel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I was going to write a post about how the outcome kinda makes sense for everyone involved, but then I realized I was applying rational thought to russian politics.