Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Antonymous posted:

its crazy how good the 90s were for pop culture and the 2000s just... not much. disney channel being the origin of many of today's celebs is maybe the biggest cultural impact

2008 is when the Gaga/Kanye/Taylor Swift era really took off and rock basically was dead and buried. between 2000 and 2008 all the good acts faded away and nothing new with lasting power was born. it was a mourning period for the 20th century

most things peaked in the 90s, including music and the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

actionjackson posted:

matrix, documentary, etc.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

actionjackson posted:

We Millennials too, probably.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Yeah everything was at its best during my youth nostalgia window and the stuff that came before and after all sucked

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah everything was at its best during my youth nostalgia window and the stuff that came before and after all sucked

:yeah:

To be more serious, though: the '00s gave us W, 9/11, and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

we hadn't even heard of climate change! it was great

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:yeah:

To be more serious, though: the '00s gave us W, 9/11, and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

also 2008

and when climate change first because more well known i think

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

OhFunny posted:

It derailed due to the bridge collapsing

bridges collapse all the time

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Were the trains still ok during the end of the Soviet?

It rules that all the transportation secretary is just gonna be like "poo poo man it just happens ok what do you want me to do?!!!"

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my high school chemistry teacher in the mid 00s, despite being a conservative middle-aged white man in every other way, was a massive doomer regarding climate change and taught us all the worst case scenarios before an inconvenient truth even made the topic mainstream. he had this weirdly gleeful way of talking about it and would say "i'm not scared, i'll be dead" in an oddly definite way even though he was talking about things happening within the decade and he wasn't particularly old or unwell. the year after i graduated he got a super-aggressive cancer and died within a few months.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

...wrong thread :negative:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

my high school chemistry teacher in the mid 00s, despite being a conservative middle-aged white man in every other way, was a massive doomer regarding climate change and taught us all the worst case scenarios before an inconvenient truth even made the topic mainstream. he had this weirdly gleeful way of talking about it and would say "i'm not scared, i'll be dead" in an oddly definite way even though he was talking about things happening within the decade and he wasn't particularly old or unwell. the year after i graduated he got a super-aggressive cancer and died within a few months.

was he intentionally exposing himself to massive amounts of radiation or something

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

net work error posted:

Were the trains still ok during the end of the Soviet?

It rules that all the transportation secretary is just gonna be like "poo poo man it just happens ok what do you want me to do?!!!"

we can't be like china where corrupt politicians actually have the decency to get public works done

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

a strange fowl posted:

on a positive note you saved yourself a ton of grief refusing to cook meth with him

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I just want trains that go fast or at a minimum stay on the tracks but its too much to ask for from the greatest country on earth

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
why don't you want the trains to be free

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

insane clown pussy posted:

gotta use that 4011 discount

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
It might be time to start nationalizing some railroads...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1672771841448869888?s=20

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

was he intentionally exposing himself to massive amounts of radiation or something

Sometimes things just work out!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the entirety of WB's attempt to get their own cinematic universe off the ground has been such a clusterfuck. it's like if you made someone with a head injury plan a wedding or something

It's more what happens when you do your multi billion dollar franchise planning at the behest of people whining on twitter and you also have no idea what your product actually is or why people like it

so basically half the r/relationships wedding stories

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jun 25, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
wow, san francisco sounds like a hell hole. housing prices must be very cheap in this city that's so riddled with crime that simply existing as an honest businessperson is impossible

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

wow, san francisco sounds like a hell hole. housing prices must be very cheap in this city that's so riddled with crime that simply existing as an honest businessperson is impossible

Time to activate Silicon Valley Venture Capital Robocop

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Paradoxish posted:

to be fair, though, it's not like rent ever goes down just because conditions deteriorate, or demand falls, or really for any other reason.

e: gonna visit a friend in SF later this summer! I look forward to inventorying all the drug addicts' feces on the sidewalk.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I saw a man with his pants around his ankles, pushing his rear end back and making GBS threads in the middle of the street on my first work trip to San Francisco. Core memory formed and locked

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

I saw a man with his pants around his ankles, pushing his rear end back and making GBS threads in the middle of the street on my first work trip to San Francisco. Core memory formed and locked

I saw that the first time I went to San Francisco as well, but this was probably in like 1988.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Some say he's still backing that rear end up to this day.

Feces just everywhere.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The war on San Fran is hilarious. It is just a stand in as the "Woke" city.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m starting a new religion. when you die you get to relive your life but you have ng+ abilities like being able to make a San Francisco business owners head pop on live tv like in scanners with the lightest whim of a thought

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
my wife stepped in human poop when we visited SF. she cried. i laughed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

where do the many unhoused peoples of ny and elsewhere do their business such that it is not a constant topic of conversation the way that it is for sf?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bathrooms of businesses probably. Cali has a hard-on for not letting people use bathrooms in stores.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Why permit people any sort of privacy or dignity when you can use their privation to rile other people up against them.

I'm alternately lmboing and despairing about a guy who told me who moved to WA specifically because there's no state tax then saying that the homeless people who come here from other states are bad because "they don't contribute anything".

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mola Yam posted:

my wife stepped in human poop when we visited SF. she cried. i laughed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bathrooms of businesses probably. Cali has a hard-on for not letting people use bathrooms in stores.

And I'm pretty sure public toilets are flat out illegal.

Actually solving problems is unthinkable in America.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

IMF graph showing historically unprecedented price gouging during a supply shock:

https://twitter.com/isabellamweber/status/1672673152512450561

e without Twitter:

Full Report:Euro Area Inflation after the Pandemic and Energy Shock: Import Prices, Profits and Wages

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Jun 25, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did Wall Street decide that the average consumer doesn't give a rat's rear end about how companies treat the mentally disabled?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

This is strange to me, because I live in a largely brunch-based city with a number of what I would call Brunch Restaurants. Open like eight to two, egg menu, mimosas or better, seven days a week, line out the door for a few hours on at least three of those days. It’s been this way for a while now.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

cum town's back, in op-ed form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

where do the many unhoused peoples of ny and elsewhere do their business such that it is not a constant topic of conversation the way that it is for sf?

they have a program where all the homeless turds are collected, processed, packaged, and sold in new jersey as taylor ham or pork roll