Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Jv9AQ3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ELTON JOHN posted:

you could say that about any group, just admit that you're weak and move on

you actually couldn't say that about many other groups, no

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why did methane kick up starting in ~2008? is that the fracking boom?

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Jun 25, 2023

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you actually couldn't say that about many other groups, no

if you experienced severe confirmation bias when interactacting with other groups, you certainly could

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
posting might be more attractive if posters weren't so insufferable

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Microplastics posted:

posting might be more attractive if posters weren't so insufferable

post it again, just slower and sexier

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ELTON JOHN posted:

if you experienced severe confirmation bias when interactacting with other groups, you certainly could

how can you tell someone is vegan? don't worry, they'll let you know

:smug:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
it usually comes up when food is served, which happens often in social situations

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bawfuls posted:

why did methane kick up starting in ~2008? is that the fracking boom?

I think that's partially it. I had read that microbial activity has been increased too from rising temperatures contributed to it as well. Another of those runaway feedback loops.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

So few understand this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

500excf type r posted:

I have like two dozen teenage roosters right now and I wish I could give them all nice homes but I think they're just going to get professionally processed this fall when they're more grown. They're all half Brahma so they grow a little slow and take their time hitting maturity.

Hatching chickens from my own eggs is so much fun but I don't sex and cull the baby rooster chicks and this is where it gets me.

capon capin on

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

???????????? what

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Yeah. We have people near us who do ethical bee keeping by only taking "excess" honey in the spring once the colony has survived the winter on their own stores.

i mean, it's still an animal product in either case

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
funny_feeling.txt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/05/29/uruguay-water-crisis-salt/

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/25/americas/uruguay-water-crisis-climate-intl/index.html

f/e: can't help but think this musk guy is kind of an idiot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guys and Gals, big brain man has spoken. We now know what the root of the problem is.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1672793968587702272

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AceClown posted:

Honey isn't vegan because commercial bee farming is awful, they replace all the honey with HFCs and other sugar replacements which means the bees don't get the proper nutrients. They also clip the wings of the queen bees and/or glue them in place so the hive can't just up and gently caress off.

Not a vegan myself but mass farming of any animal is fuckin gross and this includes bees.

If there's a resource to be exploited in the worst way possible, humans have found a way to do it.
drat i had no idea, some of my closest friends are vegan and i never asked why no honey

i heard it another way once, if a vegan would eat like crickets or honey or whatever, "do bees have mothers?" and i was like "okay, got it."

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

AceClown posted:

Honey isn't vegan because commercial bee farming is awful, they replace all the honey with HFCs and other sugar replacements which means the bees don't get the proper nutrients. They also clip the wings of the queen bees and/or glue them in place so the hive can't just up and gently caress off.

Not a vegan myself but mass farming of any animal is fuckin gross and this includes bees.

If there's a resource to be exploited in the worst way possible, humans have found a way to do it.

I hear you, but people have to draw a line somewhere. It is not obvious if clipping the queens wings is cruel https://theapiarist.org/is-queen-clipping-cruel/ but even hobbyist sometimes do this https://beekeepclub.com/clipping-the-wings-of-honeybee-queens/. I don't know what you mean by " they replace all the honey with HFCs and other sugar replacements which means the bees don't get the proper nutrients". I ask this sincerely, not rhetorically. Are you saying that 100% of the honey that a hive produces is harvested and then they go back and replace it with HFCS and other substitutes and they bees need to consume this instead of the honey they produced to get through the winter? What I think is a fair point is that commercial bee keepers rent their bees to different farmers who are spread out geographically, thus they might start out in the deep south and move progressively farther north following the seasons, and that means that bees might have access to only almonds for a few weeks, then access to only apples, then only cranberries, etc and this is interspersed by long truck rides. This is stressful, but I am not convinced that insects feel pain or have emotions in the same way other animals used in agriculture do.

To me if you are going to draw the line at honey, you probably also need to draw the line at eating the fruits, vegetables and nuts that depend on bees. I don't know if anyone actually does this but it seems to me that you would have to go this far if you follow the logic to its conclusion.

I personally consider myself something like a social omnivore. For food that I prepare and eat myself I am mostly but not entirely vegetarian but at friends BBQ or family dinner I will eat everything I am served.

Erghh posted:

f/e: can't help but think this musk guy is kind of an idiot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think they are saying that a lot of “honey” these days is 50/50 honey/HFCS

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
if you want to focus more on the objectives of veganism (eliminate consumption of animal products to reduce the animal exploitation in our consumption) rather than the “rules” (eliminate animal products from our consumption) then secondhand leather products could be considered vegan since they don’t increase demand for exploited animals. i subscribe to the former because i like air force ones and i’ve been called a fake vegan for it but i don’t care. also under this framework i guess pagpag is vegan too

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Vegan leather aka plastic is probably worse for everyone anyway. Well made, well cared for leather can last a lifetime.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Guys and Gals, big brain man has spoken. We now know what the root of the problem is.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1672793968587702272

looking into this

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

silicone thrills posted:

Vegan leather aka plastic is probably worse for everyone anyway. Well made, well cared for leather can last a lifetime.

hold on, isn’t plastic made from dead animals

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
it's dead animals all the way down

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Knitting Beetles posted:

hold on, isn’t plastic made from dead animals

Plants mostly

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
damm bringing up plastic having dead animals in it is a good way to troll the dipshit vegans who say im not vegan for buying used nikes

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

it's dead animals all the way down

in the long run, we're all dead animals

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sounds like woo but some "lesser" animals, even bugs, seem to know they are alive to some extent.

Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness posted:

The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.

I guess based on this crab studies are given the same ethics requirements as mouse in some countries. Things like certain jumping spiders and other stuff have supposedly been observed recognizing different objects & need their equivalent of REM sleep. There was also that one study where they gave I think bumblebees different little balls and they would check em out to see if they were food, and then periodically come back and play with them like a game.

Dunno how realistic some of this is but I'm willing to believe consciousness is more like a dial and less like an on-off switch. Prob all animals have this to some level and it's just hard to recognize it in the weirder ones like a lobster or w/e. Probably at least some bugs feel pain & not merely exhibit nociception but iirc some things are so extremely simplified maybe they don't?

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Jun 25, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I’ve got some excellent pairs of leather boots that I’ve had for years and it feels weird now when I think of what they’re made of and why they’re so perfectly comfortable.

If you remove ethical concerns from the equation leather is a basically miraculous product we have no good synthetic alternatives for, but it’s also extremely hosed up if you think about it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you all so worried about rising ocean temperatures, but the ocean just swallowed up five billionaires and is housing an army of boat destroying killer whales. it sounds like the ocean's pretty cool to me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I heard she's a cruel mistress iykwim :wiggle:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Puppy Burner posted:

Plants mostly

I thought animals too but I had misremembered, oil if from phytoplankton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD9yVca6hHI

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Sounds like woo but some "lesser" animals, even bugs, seem to know they are alive to some extent.

I guess based on this crab studies are given the same ethics requirements as mouse in some countries. Things like certain jumping spiders and other stuff have supposedly been observed recognizing different objects & need their equivalent of REM sleep. There was also that one study where they gave I think bumblebees different little balls and they would check em out to see if they were food, and then periodically come back and play with them like a game.

Dunno how realistic some of this is but I'm willing to believe consciousness is more like a dial and less like an on-off switch. Prob all animals have this to some level and it's just hard to recognize it in the weirder ones like a lobster or w/e. Probably at least some bugs feel pain & not merely exhibit nociception but iirc some things are so extremely simplified maybe they don't?

there’s a study in which ants pass the mirror test

animal cognition is grossly under studied but everything points to animals being far more conscious than we have presumed in the modern era

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

plants feel pain too, pain is simple a signal in response to some physical trauma. when a plant’s leaf is bitten by an animal the cells on the edge of the bite release signals to nearby cells to strengthen their cell walls as well as things like starting extra poison production if the plant can do that sort of thing. they can even signal to other nearby plants to do the same thing. nature sure is amazing too bad we’re working on killing all of it with us

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's interesting that that is at least partly restricted to the modern era

There was a guy who engraved emblem books who wrote poems about how good his dogs are and whoever keeps saying they don't have souls is a loving rear end in a top hat

Then even the noahide laws which iirc were formed way in the "slaves are fine" era still at least require a baseline exclusion of animal cruelty

At the same time this is for certain not the case in a lot of other stuff so... land of fuckin contrasts. I wonder if anybody has written a book about the history of opinions on animal consciousness

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Maed posted:

plants feel pain too, pain is simple a signal in response to some physical trama. when a plant’s leaf is bitten by an animal the cells on the edge of the bite release signals to nearby cells to strengthen their cell walls as well as things like starting extra poison production if the plant can do that sort of thing. they can even signal to other nearby plants to do the same thing. nature sure is amazing too bad we’re working on killing all of it with us

Is that pain or nociception tho

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is that pain or nociception tho

? pain is just the perception of nociception, we know we perceive it as that oww feeling but that part is inconsequential and we can’t know what it feels like in other animals but it seems silly to me to assume it’s much different

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

These problems seem to fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

These problems really belong in the purview of first world concerns

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Zeta Taskforce posted:

These problems really belong in the purview of first world concerns

don’t be stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Maed posted:

plants feel pain too, pain is simple a signal in response to some physical trauma. when a plant’s leaf is bitten by an animal the cells on the edge of the bite release signals to nearby cells to strengthen their cell walls as well as things like starting extra poison production if the plant can do that sort of thing. they can even signal to other nearby plants to do the same thing. nature sure is amazing too bad we’re working on killing all of it with us

Some also release volatile chemicals that predator animals smell. The predators then come prey on the herbivores. Which is pretty neat.