Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

parthenocarpy posted:

Yeah its a weird game. I've been questioning some of the decisions the team made. We have a thread for it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034148 Probably doesn't need one though lol

In short, they spent so much time on art they kinda forgot a lot of other things

It's made by an animator-turned-game-designer and not the other way around, so that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

It doesn't look like the original Unexplored is going to ever get patch notes for 1.20, but all of the stability issues I've had are gone and nothing has changed for me hardware-wise. So this is now the top tier realtime roguelike experience for me. I highly recommend it!

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

parthenocarpy posted:

It doesn't look like the original Unexplored is going to ever get patch notes for 1.20, but all of the stability issues I've had are gone and nothing has changed for me hardware-wise. So this is now the top tier realtime roguelike experience for me. I highly recommend it!

I really like Unexplored. But holy hell am I terrible at it. Took me forever to figure out basic statue puzzles.

Think my record is like, depth three or four? Game is great. I'm just not great at it. Lol.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Duderclese posted:

I really like Unexplored. But holy hell am I terrible at it. Took me forever to figure out basic statue puzzles.

Think my record is like, depth three or four? Game is great. I'm just not great at it. Lol.

Play a rogue. Stealth and sneak attacks are incredibly powerful with stabbing weapons. Unexplored has the most basic of metaprogression where your gold is saved and you always have the option to buy more gear at the start. If you can get your stealth up to 6, you can hide next to fire and out in the open. You can do this with skill stones in the cloak of stealth you start with and a ring you can buy.

Almost every level is going to have some kind of secret or puzzle. You look for entry points to unexplored parts of the map - hidden walls, holes in cave-textures walls, obstacles like lava that need to be frozen (lots of ways to do this), runic teleport stones elsewhere in the map, the list goes on.

I've won the game five times now that it doesn't corrupt save files on level generation! Hardest boss taken right out of the game.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Owl Inspector posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2

You get additional mastery points by doing resistance fight nodes and lairs. I agree that mastery is extremely important, especially for utility skills that are frequently not worth wasting an action on without it. I don't like that my first area feels terrible if I can't get a path that hits 3+ resistance fights, but I'm not sure how to fix it. They kind of backed themselves into a corner with skill upgrades by using the token system since everything is so granular.

Re: your heal skill being removed: you probably had a negative relationship, which forces the negatively affected skill onto your bar, displacing something random. There's nothing stopping you from putting the heal back on the bar but the game doesn't really explain what just happened. This is actually better than it affecting an important skill that you need to use frequently, since at least you can just ignore the skill instead of layering on 1 stress or a negative token every round.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Don't know if this is the right thread for Brotato exactly, but I finally finished Danger 5 on every character.
Hadn't played since before they started added characters last year. Game still fun, new characters mostly good (gently caress arms dealer though).

Great purchase, great game, can recommend.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it does get talked about here some but there is also the vampire survivors (and friends) thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Don't know if this is the right thread for Brotato exactly, but I finally finished Danger 5 on every character.
Hadn't played since before they started added characters last year. Game still fun, new characters mostly good (gently caress arms dealer though).

Great purchase, great game, can recommend.

You are slightly better than me. I only completed Danger 1 with all the characters (although I guess I should be able to do Danger 2 with half of them). How many hours to do it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Turin Turambar posted:

You are slightly better than me. I only completed Danger 1 with all the characters (although I guess I should be able to do Danger 2 with half of them). How many hours to do it?

Steam says 87 hours, which I think is pretty accurate since I don't remember leaving it running much.
Some of the new characters are very strong, and I did a handful of them first try or in 2, while others, like Arms dealer, probably took me close to a dozen.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 26, 2023

manglar
Jun 25, 2023
I've been playing a lot of Stone Soup lately because I sometimes crave a game committing procedural-but-consistent violence on me. The game can be a motherfucker - one time I saw like four or five unique named enemies on the same floor, the first "cave" tileset level. This was plus the usual complement of five billion gnolls. (I hate gnolls, they're so mean to me.) Speaking of which, I think my foremost problem is that I get too cocky and try fighting those drat gnolls on the first couple floors even though I know for certain that there are always five of them when you see one of them and they're fast enough to catch up. It's a really good game, though. Runs can end fast but it's easy to just start up a new character and send them out to die again. Being able to go "yeah one more" after dying like an idiot always feels indicative of a good roguelike to me.

I think the fact that I like to play a Vine Stalker might not be helping the already-lovely life expectancy of my dudes. I'm a sucker for lifesteal-on-attack mechanics in games, but not having life-potions obviously takes away one of the big safety nets.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
What's the word in metroidvania roguelikes these days?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Pretty sure Dead Cells and/or A Robot Named Fight are still the best options, despite how long they've been around. Dead Cells got that Castlevania DLC that added a ton of cool stuff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smith Comma John posted:

You get additional mastery points by doing resistance fight nodes and lairs. I agree that mastery is extremely important, especially for utility skills that are frequently not worth wasting an action on without it. I don't like that my first area feels terrible if I can't get a path that hits 3+ resistance fights, but I'm not sure how to fix it. They kind of backed themselves into a corner with skill upgrades by using the token system since everything is so granular.

Re: your heal skill being removed: you probably had a negative relationship, which forces the negatively affected skill onto your bar, displacing something random. There's nothing stopping you from putting the heal back on the bar but the game doesn't really explain what just happened. This is actually better than it affecting an important skill that you need to use frequently, since at least you can just ignore the skill instead of layering on 1 stress or a negative token every round.

I did have a negative relationship appear that affected an unequipped skill so that must have been it. unbelievable that it can quietly remove an important skill. I would care less if it hadn't happened in the worst possible way and cratered a 3-hour run at the mountain. wasn't expecting to win as I hadn't seen the boss before but I was hoping to at least trial it and get some knowledge.

related: it extremely sucks that one of the inns is just a straight negative that swings the odds hard into getting negative relationships like I had, even though many (just not all) of my relationships were negative-proof. Negative relationships are so disastrous that rolling that inn at the mountain seems like it massively lowers your odds of winning no matter what.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Post poste posted:

What's the word in metroidvania roguelikes these days?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1952370/Oblivion_Override/ for the obvious newcomer and for an odd upstart endeavoring for a bit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815230/Summum_Aeterna/

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

manglar posted:

I think the fact that I like to play a Vine Stalker might not be helping the already-lovely life expectancy of my dudes. I'm a sucker for lifesteal-on-attack mechanics in games, but not having life-potions obviously takes away one of the big safety nets.

Especially as you’re learning, it’s helpful to play a race that’s more direct and doesn’t limit your normal options. When I first started (.5) I was obsessed with trying to make a mummy assassin work, but I learned a lot more about being a stealth character by having a human that cared about stealth make the transition to midgame. That’s probably the hardest part of the game and the real challenge of most runs, which can be compunded by the harsh xp curve that some races have. It sounds like you’re putting thinngs together though, if you want a win then most of DCSS is remembering not to fight the pack of gnolls when you can’t guarantee they’ll go down before you.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

manglar posted:

I've been playing a lot of Stone Soup lately because I sometimes crave a game committing procedural-but-consistent violence on me. The game can be a motherfucker - one time I saw like four or five unique named enemies on the same floor, the first "cave" tileset level. This was plus the usual complement of five billion gnolls. (I hate gnolls, they're so mean to me.) Speaking of which, I think my foremost problem is that I get too cocky and try fighting those drat gnolls on the first couple floors even though I know for certain that there are always five of them when you see one of them and they're fast enough to catch up. It's a really good game, though. Runs can end fast but it's easy to just start up a new character and send them out to die again. Being able to go "yeah one more" after dying like an idiot always feels indicative of a good roguelike to me.

Try a Gnoll - they learn every skill at the same time. Gnoll Warper has been one of my easiest wins so far. You get blink, the lifesaver that allows you to escape and fight on better terms, online very early. Manifold assault is still excellent with weapons like Snakebite, and the fact that you can use any weapon you find adds to the crazy utility this spell has. Even at low skill (4-7) Evocations are incredibly more powerful than they would be at 0 skill.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on Oblivion Override.

Also, Deathroads: Tournament just pushed a new patch, and it looks rather decent.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1619570/view/3674422435262315973?l=english

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Messing around with the demo and I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on the moment-to-moment gameplay but I love the idea of new runs being created with literal "seeds" that you find in the game, with various mods attached to them that add challenges and rewards. Reminds me of maps in Path of Exile or something

manglar
Jun 25, 2023

Chakan posted:

Especially as you’re learning, it’s helpful to play a race that’s more direct and doesn’t limit your normal options. When I first started (.5) I was obsessed with trying to make a mummy assassin work, but I learned a lot more about being a stealth character by having a human that cared about stealth make the transition to midgame. That’s probably the hardest part of the game and the real challenge of most runs, which can be compunded by the harsh xp curve that some races have. It sounds like you’re putting thinngs together though, if you want a win then most of DCSS is remembering not to fight the pack of gnolls when you can’t guarantee they’ll go down before you.
I've played enough death-intensive games that I don't care too much about winning, but I do want to see more tilesets, god powers, and higher-end spells before I inevitably bite it. The variety of stuff in Stone Soup is great, I love all the complexity and breadth of playstyles. Anyway, I absolutely need to keep it at the top of my mind that stealth exists and running away is actually really useful in Stone Soup. I tend to forget somewhat that this game has defined and useful stealth mechanics, since not every roguelike I've played does. My Caves of Qud experience can get me stuck in the mindset of "if they have line-of-sight, they're going to come after me" when that's erroneous for this game. The multiple sets of stairs on each floor were built for hit-and-run attacks and the times that I've used stab-crits on sleeping enemies have been very effective. The god of shadows that boosts stealth has been fantastic every time I've picked it up.

parthenocarpy posted:

Try a Gnoll - they learn every skill at the same time. Gnoll Warper has been one of my easiest wins so far. You get blink, the lifesaver that allows you to escape and fight on better terms, online very early. Manifold assault is still excellent with weapons like Snakebite, and the fact that you can use any weapon you find adds to the crazy utility this spell has. Even at low skill (4-7) Evocations are incredibly more powerful than they would be at 0 skill.
Yeah, I've noticed Warper is a great start. Even if you didn't get the other (pretty good) spells like Manifold, you still have Blink which is an instant panic button that usually works. Gnoll enemies are about as fast as most of my characters, so having that head-start to run back up the stairs can be big. I'll have to give gnoll characters a try - the priority training system is definitely a wrinkle I'm not fully used to yet. Thanks for the advice.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gnoll is fun but I find it enables my worst packrat tendencies because I have the ability to use practically everything

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
As a dude who tapped out on DCSS sometime around 0.15 or so, how is it now? I kinda miss that game and never ascended. Did get to z5 with a minotaur berserker back in the days when you could put resist slow on an amulet, and make berserk basically free murder.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

As a dude who tapped out on DCSS sometime around 0.15 or so, how is it now? I kinda miss that game and never ascended. Did get to z5 with a minotaur berserker back in the days when you could put resist slow on an amulet, and make berserk basically free murder.

well,

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

they put a minotaur in the fighter jet sim?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Modern DCSS is kind of a mixed bag, they've got a very strict design philosophy, which resulted in them cutting a lot of classic features and making vets angry. On the flip side, they've added a whole bunch of stuff too, and a lot of it is genuinely fantastic. It's still a good game, just different.

Though if you want something more if a throwback to classic DCSS, play Gooncrawl. It's a fork that's never removed anything and is a lot looser on things that get added, much more of a "fun" approach over a "balanced" one.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Modern DCSS is kind of a mixed bag, they've got a very strict design philosophy, which resulted in them cutting a lot of classic features and making vets angry. On the flip side, they've added a whole bunch of stuff too, and a lot of it is genuinely fantastic. It's still a good game, just different.

Though if you want something more if a throwback to classic DCSS, play Gooncrawl. It's a fork that's never removed anything and is a lot looser on things that get added, much more of a "fun" approach over a "balanced" one.

The main draw of current trunk DCSS is that they've added a lot of quality of life stuff that makes the game generally smoother. The main issue is that they've also just generally simplified the game, and have been using almost the exact opposite of the original "Stone Soup" philosophy where they just purge anything that doesn't fit within their intended vision, which is increasingly narrow and detached from how the game used to work. Specifically, that they typically remove more content than they add at any given time and often cut things that they deem irrelevant before realizing that other things were dependent on them(and then they proceed to cut those, too, since they no longer work properly).

Gooncrawl was great because it was essentially a combination of the QoL stuff and noteworthy additions from newer trunk updates, but also maintained most of the things that trunk cut. Unfortunately, it's no longer updated, but it still has most of the stuff that trunk's added that was worthwhile. There was also Kimchi, which added a lot of interesting stuff along with the trunk QoL stuff while retaining things that were cut, but that one also seems to no longer be updated(also it was made by Koreans and the English translation for the new stuff that they added was a bit mystifying at times).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

manglar posted:

I've played enough death-intensive games that I don't care too much about winning, but I do want to see more tilesets, god powers, and higher-end spells before I inevitably bite it. The variety of stuff in Stone Soup is great, I love all the complexity and breadth of playstyles. Anyway, I absolutely need to keep it at the top of my mind that stealth exists and running away is actually really useful in Stone Soup. I tend to forget somewhat that this game has defined and useful stealth mechanics, since not every roguelike I've played does. My Caves of Qud experience can get me stuck in the mindset of "if they have line-of-sight, they're going to come after me" when that's erroneous for this game. The multiple sets of stairs on each floor were built for hit-and-run attacks and the times that I've used stab-crits on sleeping enemies have been very effective. The god of shadows that boosts stealth has been fantastic every time I've picked it up.

Yeah, I've noticed Warper is a great start. Even if you didn't get the other (pretty good) spells like Manifold, you still have Blink which is an instant panic button that usually works. Gnoll enemies are about as fast as most of my characters, so having that head-start to run back up the stairs can be big. I'll have to give gnoll characters a try - the priority training system is definitely a wrinkle I'm not fully used to yet. Thanks for the advice.

If you want to really solidify your use of stealth and hit/run tactics, play a bunch of SpEn. My favorite combo and my first win, they live through the early game simply by running away and/or putting to sleep anything threatening. miniscule hit pool and can wear hardly any armor, but they're super fast and have great stabber apts.

honestly i think DCSS has the best implementation of a stealth system i've ever seen in a game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Made it to Io and I could maybe have squeaked my way out of my death if I had remembered that I had a teleport kit. “Think, then move”, I tell myself, but I still rush to cover or to fire again (before the enemy can? dumb brain) rather than making a better play.

Goddamn though, Monster with Army of Darkness and the bleed-everything relic was a good time.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

DCSS is the best its ever been. 20 year player here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Modern Crawl doesn't have enemies fall asleep anymore, does GoonCrawl support that? Rather essential feature for "stealth" gameplay where you can actually walk away from mobs you have no chance of forcefully hibernating. DCSS is (well, was) great, it's my first major RL and so I'm glad someone's getting milage out of it. It's what I measure other RLs too, since it was so vanilla in many areas, but did them well.

Shoutout to Sil-rl if you really, REALLY want to embrace a stealth-based playthrough.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Hooplah posted:

If you want to really solidify your use of stealth and hit/run tactics, play a bunch of SpEn. My favorite combo and my first win, they live through the early game simply by running away and/or putting to sleep anything threatening. miniscule hit pool and can wear hardly any armor, but they're super fast and have great stabber apts.

honestly i think DCSS has the best implementation of a stealth system i've ever seen in a game.

if you've never played brogue, give that a try. it also has a really fun sneaking system that i think you'll really dig.

but yeah dcss is the best it's ever been since i started playing it. it's frustrating when i eat poo poo and die, and then it's even more frustrating five seconds later when i realize that i had a consumable that could have saved my skin. roguelikes don't get much better than that.

biggest changes in modern crawl: various backgrounds all start with a few consumables that really help make the first few floors more consistently survivable now, ranged weapons now have infinite ammunition (but thrown weapons don't), an entire pile of unrandom artifacts with completely unique abilities have been added and they're almost all really fun, and the food clock is no longer a concern (there's a zot clock now, but only one species and only one god really need to worry about that).

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

pandemonium loving blows though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EightFlyingCars posted:

it's frustrating when i eat poo poo and die, and then it's even more frustrating five seconds later when i realize that i had a consumable that could have saved my skin. roguelikes don't get much better than that.

Subjunctive posted:

Made it to Io and I could maybe have squeaked my way out of my death if I had remembered that I had a teleport kit. “Think, then move”, I tell myself, but I still rush to cover or to fire again (before the enemy can? dumb brain) rather than making a better play.

:hfive:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

Modern Crawl doesn't have enemies fall asleep anymore, does GoonCrawl support that? Rather essential feature for "stealth" gameplay where you can actually walk away from mobs you have no chance of forcefully hibernating. DCSS is (well, was) great, it's my first major RL and so I'm glad someone's getting milage out of it. It's what I measure other RLs too, since it was so vanilla in many areas, but did them well.

Shoutout to Sil-rl if you really, REALLY want to embrace a stealth-based playthrough.

oh yeah i missed this. sometimes you just gotta pop a scroll of vulnerability or keep an orb of guile handy to land those hexes. or play uskayaw and hit dudes so hard they pass out. uskayaw is fun. play uskayaw

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Half* of the negative attention Monolith subconsciously gets is just down to there Still being no surge of Monolith-inspired fare(as well as the game still not being done in the Above & Beyond sense) hitting different setting and such touchstones that people have been fiending for ever since getting a taste.

It is so good/specific there thus far just can't even be proper inspirations unlike the Vampire Survivors advent.

Things Eventually(over a year ago) Semi-Happen, Apparently

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1724120/ASTRONAUTILUS/

quote:

Your ship has crash-landed on a stray rogue planet, and your ship is out of fuel... It's up to you to delve beneath the frozen surface and find a way to get your ship back into space. Fight strange sea creatures and uncover the mysteries of the world beneath the ice!

- Randomly generated enemies and upgrades
- 8 weapons, 16 upgrades, and 60+ enemies
- 7 distinct zones, 8+ bosses
- Tight, polished movement and controls
- Gameplay systems focused on risk and reward
- Nuanced combo system for expert players

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

this loving seed just gave me three acquirement scrolls by d5

if i throw this run i'm quitting crawl forever

fake edit: it gave me the hat, the scarf, and the shield. nothing amazing by itself but i'll take an almost full spread of resistances, trolls need all the defences they can get

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 28, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

this loving seed just gave me three acquirement scrolls by d5

if i throw this run i'm quitting crawl forever

fake edit: it gave me the hat, the scarf, and the shield. nothing amazing by itself but i'll take an almost full spread of resistances, trolls need all the defences they can get

This is why you always ID scrolls first. Because you can get early access to Acq. For people new to this concept: You want to identify escape options for almost every starting background, especially so if you're playing a slow movement species. There is almost no situation you'll find yourself in where standing still and drinking a heal potion for one turn is a better usage of AUT than using a scroll of blink. As soon as I have three identical unidentified scrolls, I read one. If I'm at the end of d:2 and have no stacks of scrolls, just read them anyway. You very quickly find ID and Blink this way, and have a good chance of bagging Acq.

My favorite thing ever patched out of crawl? I had a formicid go Ru, reject every sac until Hated By All came up, took that, then abandoned Ru and went Dith. Shadowstep was very cheap back then, so was Summon Butterflies (level 1 spell with no noise). I'd cast Summon Butterfly, summon twenty hostile butterflies that are no threat to me whatsoever, and be able to shadowstep (controlled blink) to almost any tile. Not exactly something a formicid is supposed to do.

The list of Stupid Formicid Tricks has grown but I don't say them in public anymore because at least five have been patched out

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dice & Cards continue their gleeful frolicking upon the coming horizons:

Wanderer's Sigil

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2436870/Wanderers_Sigil/

quote:

Wanderer’s Sigil is a turn-based roguelike RPG with a unique dice management system. Embrace the role of the courageous team of Wanderers in a realm scarred by mystical devastation. Manage your caravan, traverse the unknown, reclaim forgotten knowledge, and fight to survive!

Modify your characters represented by a custom dice. Exploration, combat, story events, camping - you will use dice everywhere, so think carefully about the appropriate equipment that will help you survive.

Manage up to 4 characters in your team. Even with the best equipment, watch out for the well-being of your companions - exhausted and defeated in battle characters receive fatigue points, and these, over time, lead to death.

Explore procedurally generated world and storylines resulting in an ever-changing adventure. Navigate through unexpected events as you traverse diverse landscapes.

Roll your dice in tactical turn-based combat against the remnants of fallen adventurers and outlaws corrupted by magic.

Plan your route carefully, because the Wanderer’s Sigil will offer only a glimmer of safety amidst a hazardous path. As the strength of the Sigil weakens, your expedition will be more and more challenging.

Balance limited cargo capacity. Will you prioritize taking valuable treasures or ensuring you have enough items to set up one more camp?

Earn recognition through quests, ascend in the guild's ranks, and unlock powerful upgrades.

In the aftermath of a magical cataclysm, strange and frightening places appeared where the emanation of power was strongest. Bizarre beasts and plants began to inhabit vast lands, forcing humankind to seek refuge in enclaves guarded by magical Sigils.

But not everyone has given up. Fearless souls known as Wanderers, all united by resilience, resourcefulness, and unwavering spirit, ventured beyond the safe walls of settlements. They started traversing dangerous lands to trade vital resources, carry news and search for clues about the magical devastation that changed the world forever.

And among them, you.

Strive to discover all the dark secrets of the world’s past. You might be the first to succeed.

Key features:
Procedurally generated world, characters and storylines
Customizable dice with synergy mechanic
Singleplayer, turn-based gameplay and combat
Gameplay-altering decisions
Resource management
A guild reputation system

Claymores of the Lost Kingdom

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2473260/Claymores_of_the_Lost_Kingdom/

quote:

We blended a Roguelike Deckbuilder with classless RPG progression to give you an open sandbox adventure. Forge your hero and increase your attributes to craft a deck that changes based on your unique build. Level up, hunt bandits, and get strong enough to face the Harbinger of Doom.

Immerse Yourself in Deckbuilding Freedom
Adaptive, classless deckbuilding system. As you increase your character’s abilities - Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Wisdom, and Intelligence - new cards and playstyles will emerge
300+ fully unique cards
150+ keywords with multiple damage types, and a huge focus on synergies
50+ item cards
30+ combat-altering status effects
5 main attribute skill trees with cards and additional perks
15 streamlined archetypes and dozens of sub-playstyles

Customize Your Build From Level 1
Pick one of 5 fantasy races with their own starter decks and attribute bonuses
Spice things up with 11 character backgrounds with a special card and an attribute modifier
Fight to gain experience, levels, and loot
Level up and increase your favorite attributes to gain access to powerful cards

Roam the World Map
Explore an open world map with 99 locations, and 24 settlements
Embark on dangerous side quests such as smuggling supplies in a famine-struck world
Encounter 50+ events with difficult tradeoffs and extra choices based on your unique hero
Unlock exclusive world map abilities by committing to your favorite attribute skill tree
Fight organized bandits who hoard resources, raid caravans, and pillage settlements
Adapt your strategy to hunt down challenging elites and slay wanted leaders who have procedural encounter modifiers

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Dice & Cards continue their gleeful frolicking upon the coming horizons:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think I've had enough of both and we can do something else now. Anything else.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think I've had enough of both and we can do something else now. Anything else.

I just want like six solid pages of console using roguelike players talking about console only roguelikes but we'll invariably get back to weird anime poo poo or puzzle games again

Bought the retail Dwarf Fortress finally, messed around a bit, and turned on console mode. Oh My God. The respect I have for anyone who navigated this glyphically trashed mass of multicolored ascii is higher than neonatal nurses. This game was made AFTER The Matrix, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

parthenocarpy posted:

Bought the retail Dwarf Fortress finally, messed around a bit, and turned on console mode. Oh My God. The respect I have for anyone who navigated this glyphically trashed mass of multicolored ascii is higher than neonatal nurses. This game was made AFTER The Matrix, right?

Honestly, I preferred the ASCII over tilesets for years. The number of really relevant glyphs is very small and you're mostly interacting with the game through menus rather than the viewscreen. Do I need to know what every random ] is? Nope, it's just stuff! It's better to prioritize having a lot of blank space for readability rather than trying to make it possible to visually identify a *badly worn dirty pig tail cloth left sock lightly stained with goblin snot*.

Now that it has a proper graphical client it's somewhat better but I'm mostly in it for UI graphics, I could take or leave the graphical viewscreen.