Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

I didn't say anything about the market.

mystes posted:

suddenly people [...] would be demanding subcompact cars with pedestrian safety features

yes you did

the "fix it with laws" version is banning oversized cars. passing laws to sway the invisible hand of the market is lib poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

you're all replying to a paste of a dumb tweet

lol it was a very good syq

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Horace posted:

I was discussing with a friend why there are so few pickups in the uk. he said because everything in the bed would be stolen immediately, and then then bed would fill with leaves and rainwater.

your post made me realise people would definitely bag their dog poo poo and then drop it into the next pickup truck, that would 100% be normal if there were pickups here.

I have started seeing a few massive American-style pickups pop up in my semi-rural corner of England, always pristine with an empty bed so presumably not being used by actual farmers. British car brains would be very vulnerable to a "don't you want to feel safe" marketing push and I'm dreading the day the car companies try it

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Gato posted:

I have started seeing a few massive American-style pickups pop up in my semi-rural corner of England, always pristine with an empty bed so presumably not being used by actual farmers. British car brains would be very vulnerable to a "don't you want to feel safe" marketing push and I'm dreading the day the car companies try it

I recall a Top Gear episode where Jeremy is driving a truck in a English village and tosses his shopping in the bed (some candles or something) and a guy steals it right in front of him.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Gato posted:

I’m in suburbia, and whether they take off here or not is 100% dependent on whether you’re allowed to take them to the tip without a permit

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I looked it up, you need a permit to take a pickup truck to the tip in my area. You can take a car 52 times in a year but in a pickup you would only be able to go 18 times.

it’s over for pickup trucks in British suburbia if they can’t go to the tip 52 times a year.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress is the tip

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

leftist heap posted:

from the context its the dump

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

leftist heap posted:

here, I’ll show you :grin:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the only thing stopping pickups in the uk is just the tip

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do you people live somewhere without bulk trash pickup? If I have furniture, a mattress, whatever that I want gone I call the local sheriff's department and they use prison labor to remove it, completely free of cost to me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfNNQ4hxgn4

this one hits different now

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you people live somewhere without bulk trash pickup? If I have furniture, a mattress, whatever that I want gone I call the local sheriff's department and they use prison labor to remove it, completely free of cost to me.

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or not (probaby not) but regardless, :d2a:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Clark Nova posted:

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or not (probaby not) but regardless, :d2a:

I'm not joking.

https://sheriff.nashville.gov/bulk-item-removal/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I AM A VICTIM, NOT THEM - THEY WERE ENCASED IN STEEL! I ONLY HAD MY FLESH ENCASEMENT OF FLESH!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
went to Adelaide for the weekend and stayed downtown, walked around the whole time. favorite moment was a crosswalk turning green and a car, eager to turn, pulled over into the crosswalk so they could vroom as soon as people got through the cross. instead a pack of a dozen uniformed 13 year old school girls saw the car and stopped in front of it to point and laugh at the driver, wasting an extra 15 seconds of their time. lol

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the kids are alright

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

what the gently caress is the adelaide

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's probably like lemonade but venomous

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Its the capital of SA.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

its like your shithole city but 4x bigger

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
it may surprise some Americans to learn that other people don’t have prison labor on demand

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I have this, but on a schedule and also it's unionised labour. Your way definitely feels more like freedom though

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah my european country rural or urban there was always someone you could call to go pick up oversized trash/appliances or a large amount of landscaping, you normally didn't pay for it if your income was under a certain amount too.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Horace posted:

I looked it up, you need a permit to take a pickup truck to the tip in my area. You can take a car 52 times in a year but in a pickup you would only be able to go 18 times.

it’s over for pickup trucks in British suburbia if they can’t go to the tip 52 times a year.

lmao how had I never considered this, thank you council waste disposal services for being the one thing standing between Britain and universal tank ownership

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you know what's really wasteful? toll gates

millions of hours of productivity are lost, and millions of tons of greenhouse gases are spewed into the air, while cars and trucks idle at long pileups behind toll gates. You might even have a highway system that has the capacity to handle so-and-so high levels of traffic... and all that means is that it creates an even bigger bottleneck when you get to the end of it

not to mention the space and resources involved in creating gigantic toll plazas (which necessarily have to be much larger than the straight roadway it services), as well as the design demands of creating on-ramps and off-ramps with toll gates (as opposed to ramps whose only consideration is a safe entry and exit from the main road)

and for what? so the private corporation that [partly] built the road gets to extract their pound of flesh? it puts to lie that capitalism efficiently allocates resources - you'd free up so much productivity and effort and manpower by simply channeling the payment for the road project and its maintenance directly into the corporations coffers via the government, even if the money has to be extracted with taxes, but no, we have to get ourselves paid at the point of use, so you end up with bullshit like this

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

Its the capital of SA.

yeah Beethoven wrote a song about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqLHY9pqug

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

gradenko_2000 posted:

millions of hours of productivity are lost, and millions of tons of greenhouse gases are spewed into the air, while cars and trucks idle at long pileups behind toll gates. You might even have a highway system that has the capacity to handle so-and-so high levels of traffic... and all that means is that it creates an even bigger bottleneck when you get to the end of it

not to mention the space and resources involved in creating gigantic toll plazas (which necessarily have to be much larger than the straight roadway it services), as well as the design demands of creating on-ramps and off-ramps with toll gates (as opposed to ramps whose only consideration is a safe entry and exit from the main road)

and for what? so the private corporation that [partly] built the road gets to extract their pound of flesh? it puts to lie that capitalism efficiently allocates resources - you'd free up so much productivity and effort and manpower by simply channeling the payment for the road project and its maintenance directly into the corporations coffers via the government, even if the money has to be extracted with taxes, but no, we have to get ourselves paid at the point of use, so you end up with bullshit like this

I can't tell if this is a troll or not, the interstate system being mostly toll-free is one of the causes of america's car brain

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Um I live in a hick rear end country and the toll roads I have seen you just pay with an app. No stopping, keep driving, they will get your plates with a camera and a computer.

Twerk from Home posted:

That's slave labour buddy. You should uhhh not do that.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yes you did

the "fix it with laws" version is banning oversized cars. passing laws to sway the invisible hand of the market is lib poo poo

Passing laws to sway the invisible hand of the free market is something China does.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gradenko_2000 posted:

that picture has 14 lanes of ezpass where you dont have to stop

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol the south

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

500excf type r posted:

that picture has 14 lanes of ezpass where you dont have to stop

we do things a little differently over here: you affix an RFID tag to your vehicle, and you have to pull up to the toll gate, and there is still an arm barrier across the lane - the RFID receiver at the gate is supposed to read the tag, link it to your account, and then deduct the money from it, before it will lift the arm barrier to let you through

this really only eliminates the part where you have to roll your window down to pay a human cashier, and then have them give you change. you still have to come to a complete stop, and sometimes the RFID tag won't be read properly and you need to hand a card to a cashier for them to swipe it at a machine to make the transaction, or sometimes people forget to put enough money into the account so it won't let them through until/unless they pay in cash

so there's still a tremendous build-up of traffic regardless

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gradenko_2000 posted:

we do things a little differently over here: you affix an RFID tag to your vehicle, and you have to pull up to the toll gate, and there is still an arm barrier across the lane - the RFID receiver at the gate is supposed to read the tag, link it to your account, and then deduct the money from it, before it will lift the arm barrier to let you through

this really only eliminates the part where you have to roll your window down to pay a human cashier, and then have them give you change. you still have to come to a complete stop, and sometimes the RFID tag won't be read properly and you need to hand a card to a cashier for them to swipe it at a machine to make the transaction, or sometimes people forget to put enough money into the account so it won't let them through until/unless they pay in cash

so there's still a tremendous build-up of traffic regardless

lol i had to drive across 4 states the other day and i forgot my ez pass but i went through the ezpass lanes anyways. i just give them my ezpass number online and they charge me (at a rate that is also cheaper than using cash)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you dont artificially back up thousands of cars, the place they are all going would not be able to accomodate them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is also a degree of a traffic calming to stem the flow of cars, which would be just stopped up the road anyway.

Overall, I am firmly in supportive of toll roads through, if anything excess revenue from tolling after maintenance should be directed to transit agencies.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

anything that makes driving more annoying reduces the amount of cars, so toll gates are good actually

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
toll roads should be used more but only to fund trains and public transportation so as to make driving as inconvenient and annoying as possible

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My train was delayed for four hours because someone drove a car into some vital bit of rail infrastructure.

Then it was delayed for four hours due to the train company not wanting to pay living wages though, so gently caress cars but also capitalism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

toll roads should be used more but only to fund trains and public transportation so as to make driving as inconvenient and annoying as possible

Yeah, I don't have a problem with speeding cameras, higher registration fees, and gasoline taxes as well. Also, honestly, I was initially against putting GPS trackers to tax electric cars but honestly, the amount of road damage and danger present to the public coupled with how marginal the actual carbon savings is in reality makes me lean toward just taking the poo poo out of them anyway. Put all of that into transit, speed bumps, and protected bike lanes.

(A model 3 Tesla is going to be at least 45-55k after everything, they can afford to pay some taxes.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

lol the south

temnessee lacks at atlantic coast and is therefore the midwest