Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2022 there was 15.9 billion gallons of bottled water sold in the US, mission accomplished. A perfect example of a public good being privatized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceNsojnMf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

guy got eaten by a plane engine today at a tx airport

From the BBC article about this:

quote:

On Wednesday, regional airline Piedmont was fined $15,625 (£12,285) by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) for the death of a ground crew worker six-months earlier in a similar incident in Alabama.

"Proper training and enforcement of safety procedures could have prevented this tragedy," OSHA said

15k.

For an avoidable horrific death.

That's about as good as explicitly encouraging this poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

is pepsi ok posted:

The drinking fountain thing is crazy. They were everywhere when I was a kid and using them was a totally normal thing that everyone did. I'm pretty sure most people today would react to you using one like they just watched you lick the floor.

It does seem like they turned them off for covid and then never bothered turning them back on.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Airline executives will read that as "I can get rid of troublesome employees for a one-time payment of $15K"

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

It does seem like they turned them off for covid and then never bothered turning them back on.

Much like *gestures at everything* it's one of those things that's been going on for a while but Covid accelerated it. The school system here removed all the water fountains due to concerns about lead pipes nearly ten years ago and never replaced them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Much like *gestures at everything* it's one of those things that's been going on for a while but Covid accelerated it. The school system here removed all the water fountains due to concerns about lead pipes nearly ten years ago and never replaced them.

Yep, that sounds like an American way of handling things.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
problem: children are being lead poisoned from the drinking water
solution: stop letting them drink water, dummy

Apr 7, 2003

in a similar vein

->

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Lacrosse posted:

A diner near me is only open between 9am and 3pm daily due to staffing shortages. Forget brunch; they can't even get staffed up enough for dinner.

My sister recently lost her job at a diner. They wanted to schedule her for anywhere between 10 and 25 hrs a week, by text message 30 mins before whenever they wanted a shift to start. She went out of town for 3 days a week ago and wasn't available when they texted a sudden shift while she was gone, so they told her they're done.

She thinks it's because there's a university in town and they recently got a bunch of students available for their low hour immediate notice bullshit scheduling. Curious how they'll manage come fall, but I don't think this diner is planning that far ahead.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Airline executives will read that as "I can get rid of troublesome employees for a one-time payment of $15K"

I would suspect it costs a lot more than that to fix or replace the turbine, to say nothing of the costs of rescheduling and delaying flights aa repairs are carried out

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Could do price controls

what if tax...

rich?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

RadiRoot posted:

what if tax...

rich?

No.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

insane clown pussy posted:

and it's not like people are flocking to move to ohio. the only growth is primarily columbus cannibalizing what's left of the rural population, so good luck with trying to extract value out of a bunch of dying towns and small cities

Cleveland’s last major economy is Finance and Tech so this honestly feels like a shot across the bow at one of the last blue holdouts in the state.

Apr 7, 2003

insane clown pussy posted:

and it's not like people are flocking to move to ohio. the only growth is primarily columbus cannibalizing what's left of the rural population, so good luck with trying to extract value out of a bunch of dying towns and small cities

My brother moved to Columbus and holy poo poo is that city cursed, it feels like something out of the St. Louis suburbs

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

My brother moved to Columbus and holy poo poo is that city cursed, it feels like something out of the St. Louis suburbs

kirkwood out here catching strays

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Specifically says for government workers in Ohio not every worker I believe.

Apr 7, 2003

Sylink posted:

Specifically says for government workers in Ohio not every worker I believe.

you can be sure it's a dry run for everyone

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
might be hard to enforce for everyone but I'm sure the courts will find a way

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I was just thinking that in Toronto, public washrooms have basically disappeared. They used to be everywhere. Drinking fountains too.

In a few cities I've been to, besides needing a key, the washrooms in coffee shops and restaurants have this awful dim blue lighting. I'm assuming its so you can't find a vein or something?

that is the precise reason, yes

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

exactly. it’s a shot across the bow, not directly into it.

Apr 7, 2003

The rural healthcare apocalypse continues apace in Pennsylvania

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202306190061

quote:

At Heritage Valley Kennedy, which HVHS acquired in 2019, the intensive care unit will close July 1, when complex surgeries and cardiac procedures move to the system’s larger Beaver or Sewickley hospitals. HVHS President and CEO Norm Mitry cited “significant staffing and operational challenges” in announcing the downsizing, which will reduce hospital beds at Kennedy to 77 from 120, a 36% reduction.

Heritage Valley Kennedy Hospital’s had a loss from operations of 28.3% in fiscal 2022, according to the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council. The statewide average operating margin for hospitals last year was 4.36%.

The belt-tightening began years ago in Western Pennsylvania with hospital consolidation, as Allegheny Health Network, UPMC and other health systems gobbled up smaller hospitals, which was often followed by closing maternity units and shifting some complex medical services to larger, regional facilities. Hospital administrators in more recent mergers, Excela Health-Butler Health System and Washington Health System-UPMC, will likely go through the same drill in deciding which assets to keep open.

There have been exceptions: In recent years, AHN opened maternity units at its Jefferson and Wexford hospitals, for example.

(Jefferson and Kennedy are $$$$ suburbs, everyone else eats poo poo)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

in a similar vein

->

so my sister in law who embraces all of these apps rented a pool this weekend when they visit us. it’s a big family get together so I’ll just try to enjoy it but I’m not a fan since we do have public pools here…

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rexicon1 posted:

exactly. it’s a shot across the bow, not directly into it.

I don't see how they could do it for everyone. For example: I work remotely and my employer is headquartered 1500 miles away.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/marshallkanner1/status/1673264985303072769?s=20

quote:

“Americans love big things. That’s it,” said Allison Corona, a data analyst from Pittsburgh whose recent five-day trip to Las Vegas with her husband and friends included four buffets. “We just love more. I’m not saying that’s good. I’m just saying it’s who we are.”

Buffets speak to an American dining culture that prizes consistency, value and choice. They can make people of modest means feel rich, if just for an hour or two. They provide culinary road maps for recent immigrants and culinary tourism for those who haven’t traveled much. A buffet can be as communal as a church picnic.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Where I live, basically all of the public washrooms and drinking fountains were closed/shut off "for COVID" and still haven't been turned on despite covid being over. Weird!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

buffets didn’t go anywhere

what the gently caress

edit

oh the nyt of course

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

jemand posted:

My sister recently lost her job at a diner. They wanted to schedule her for anywhere between 10 and 25 hrs a week, by text message 30 mins before whenever they wanted a shift to start. She went out of town for 3 days a week ago and wasn't available when they texted a sudden shift while she was gone, so they told her they're done.

She thinks it's because there's a university in town and they recently got a bunch of students available for their low hour immediate notice bullshit scheduling. Curious how they'll manage come fall, but I don't think this diner is planning that far ahead.

when they inevitably offer her her job back she should make them pay $20 an hour plus tips

Apr 7, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Where I live, basically all of the public washrooms and drinking fountains were closed/shut off "for COVID" and still haven't been turned on despite covid being over. Weird!

they did the same thing on the bike trails here

one of the trails I like to ride is ~36 miles long with nowhere to get water and exactly one portapotty

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nah it's more about saying they did something about lazy government workers. The richest Republican areas in Ohio have tons of remote work and they don't really want to get rid of it either.

It's important to know that Ohio is a trifecta GOP state and they essentially have nothing to do except come up with corruption schemes.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

wait

there’s an app for reserving the right to piss and poo poo in peoples private swimming pools…..?!?!

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

wait

there’s an app for reserving the right to piss and poo poo in peoples private swimming pools…..?!?!

https://swimply.com/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am harry posted:

wait

In the same way that Airbnb and Swimply facilitate short-term rentals of private homes and swimming pools, Sniffspot is an online platform that helps homeowners earn a few extra bones simply by letting their property go to the dogs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

sonatinas posted:

so my sister in law who embraces all of these apps rented a pool this weekend when they visit us. it’s a big family get together so I’ll just try to enjoy it but I’m not a fan since we do have public pools here…

don’t come back and post here like nothing happened if you didn’t piss in that pool alright? you better drink loads of loving beer before going. got that!?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In 2022 there was 15.9 billion gallons of bottled water sold in the US, mission accomplished. A perfect example of a public good being privatized.

one of the main reason people buy so much bottled water is not because there’s no public fountains (or else they’d refill bottles for free), but because American rubes believe it’s cleaner than tap water even though if you look at the bottle, most of them are bottled in like “Mobile Alabama Water District” / “Bottoed at Texas Jet Fuell Air Base” / “Cleveland PFAS Water Supply”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you need them for car travel and such

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

one of the main reason people buy so much bottled water is not because there’s no public fountains (or else they’d refill bottles for free), but because American rubes believe it’s cleaner than tap water even though if you look at the bottle, most of them are bottled in like “Mobile Alabama Water District” / “Bottoed at Texas Jet Fuell Air Base” / “Cleveland PFAS Water Supply”

Pittsburgh got a public drinking water fountain installed downtown by pretending it was an art installation

https://trustarts.org/pct_home/visual-arts/public-art/water-cube

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DC has tons of working water fountains and public toilets but they all close when the museums do and then there's a few porta potties next to some of the encampments but basically nowhere free to piss until the museums open up again. Drinking water out of a lot of fountains is an exercise in frustration though, the pressure is just too low.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh got a public drinking water fountain installed downtown by pretending it was an art installation

https://trustarts.org/pct_home/visual-arts/public-art/water-cube

Whoa whoa whoa you buried the lede, it dispenses carbonated water too?!

Apr 7, 2003

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Found a pretty good article on bottled water replacing fountains: https://www.npr.org/2010/05/17/126833795/war-on-tap-americas-obsession-with-bottled-water

quote:

In 2000, shortly before he was made chairman of PepsiCo's North American Beverage and Food division, Robert S. Morrison publicly declared, "The biggest enemy is tap water. . . . We're not against water -- it just has its place. We think it's good for irrigation and cooking." That same year, Susan Wellington, president of the Quaker Oats Company's United States beverage division, candidly told industry analysts, "When we're done, tap water will be relegated to showers and washing dishes." "We need to change the way we sell water," said industry analyst Kathleen Ransome at the 2006 International Bottled Water Association annual convention in Las Vegas. "At what point will consumers turn to the tap?"