Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If i were James Gunn I wouldn’t get comfortable in my position with the way the current people in charge of WBD are doing business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

He should quickly cast his most major roles and then recreate that hilarious Dark Universe Universal shoot only crossing out "ark" and scrawling a C over it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Beetle looks like it'll at least be decent. It's not going to blow the doors off anything but it seems like it'll be fun at least. I'm still thinking it's 50/50 Aquaman goes into the vault

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Opopanax posted:

Beetle looks like it'll at least be decent. It's not going to blow the doors off anything but it seems like it'll be fun at least. I'm still thinking it's 50/50 Aquaman goes into the vault

There's no way that the sequel to the highest-grossing DC movie (still weird that this continues to be true) that they spent $250 million on and is releasing in 5 months is going to get canned.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Are DCU movies just straight up toxic to general public? I am baffled why Flash is doing Morbius/pandemic numbers. Sure, to the movie nerd it makes sense why it looks bad (crap CGI, not a Flash movie, nostalgia bait repeat of No Way Home) but I thought it had enough of brute force marketing and key jangling to get people in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

fatherboxx posted:

Are DCU movies just straight up toxic to general public?
Yes, and so is Ezra Miller, and also the trailers/ads made it look, at best, like an extremely generic superhero movie you've seen a dozen times before, and often actively bad.

The Morbius comparison might be directly on point, actually. Actively toxic brand (when Sony does live-action Spider-Man stuff on its own, it's awful), toxic lead actor, movie so obviously terrible that the advertising couldn't even pull a Suicide Squad and make it look good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

fatherboxx posted:

Are DCU movies just straight up toxic to general public? I am baffled why Flash is doing Morbius/pandemic numbers. Sure, to the movie nerd it makes sense why it looks bad (crap CGI, not a Flash movie, nostalgia bait repeat of No Way Home) but I thought it had enough of brute force marketing and key jangling to get people in.

Flash was never especially popular on his own with the general public.

+

All movies have been doing a lot worse (except Avatar 2) since the pandemic.

+

The selling point of "universe-changing consequences!" for a universe that you have explicitly announced will be dead next year probably gives a lot of general audiences the feeling of "no reason to bother" since it will be rebooted soon.

=

"It's Morbin' time."

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

There's another reason I saw about Flash bombing which I originally wrote off as dumb, but I think I underestimated how stupid people can be. Some articles said a major reason why Flash bombed is that none of the cast did press for it. This isn't because of any of Miller's escapades and WBD wanting to not hear that brought up, it's because of theWGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Apparently even though we're in preauthorization for a SAG-AFTRA strike, a condition of that is that members can't be on things like late night TV to talk to "the general public". So while most late night talk shows are stupid, plenty of America is still eating up that slop and desperate to hear what Jimmy Fallon has to say. The moment you pull actors from being on the shows and talking about the movie, plenty of people lose one of their main methods of awareness. So it's not that people saw Miller and when "I don't support them", it's literally that they weren't even paying attention to it.

All that said, the movie sucks and getting a 'B' Cinemascore goes a long way to say that even if the opening weekend had been higher word of mouth would have completely killed it afterwards.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Gaz-L posted:

To be clear: It's the music publishing rights TO music from (presumably the Burton/Schumacher) Batmans. Not the films themselves.

Maybe I don't understand exactly what "music publishing rights" entails, but I'm thinking this will have the hilarious result of WB having to pay to license that music if they want to use it in any future Batman projects. Which they'll have to pay through the nose to get that license, because, what, you're not going to use the Batman theme and you don't have any leverage in negotiations? lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

If i were James Gunn I wouldn’t get comfortable in my position with the way the current people in charge of WBD are doing business

yeah Gunn is extremely capable and funny and seems to have a vision for the future, it's hard to imagine that these people are not going to gently caress him over like they gently caress everyone else over

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WaffleZombie posted:

Maybe I don't understand exactly what "music publishing rights" entails, but I'm thinking this will have the hilarious result of WB having to pay to license that music if they want to use it in any future Batman projects. Which they'll have to pay through the nose to get that license, because, what, you're not going to use the Batman theme and you don't have any leverage in negotiations? lol
It could lead to the even more hilarious result of WB having to pull the soundtracks from their own movies and re-edit them for broadcast to not use the music they've lost the rights to, so Batman will crash through a skylight to the triumphant backing tune of... some public domain nonsense.

It's a very, very stupid idea is what I'm saying, which is just par for the course at WB, The World's Stupidestly Managed Company.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be honest, this Flash just looks goofy. There's the CG element but there are prominent shots in the marketing where he has the expression of an absolute goober and his sprint form has less panache than someone running who trips and thinks running more will keep them upright. The biggest Olympic event is sprinting, we are enamoured with it, we know what it looks like to run fast, there's even a real guy with Bolt imagery who is the fastest in the world to show us how it's done but the Flash does a doggy paddle.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I kind of feel like the Flash is about just as popular as Iron Man was before the first Iron Man movie came out, so DC is just like a couple decades late and missed the boat.

Marvel really pulled the heist of the century and just nailed it almost every step of the way up to End Game.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CapnAndy posted:

Batman will crash through a skylight to the triumphant backing tune of... some public domain nonsense.

Kazon fanfare I hope

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Will WB just not exist in a few years? These numbers are awful

https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1672373781397114880?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

maybealabia posted:

Kazon fanfare I hope

Ok I didn't know what this meant so I looked it up and it's loving hilarious. Much better than my suggestion of using the DJ airhorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uM2aot_vl8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

With as much as they spent on advertising I wonder if they should have just shelved the movie. I bet they would have lost much less money when all is said and done if they just hid it away like they did with Batgirl.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WB has had much worse years and the film division isn't even a majority of the company. They aren't disappearing in a year or two. They also release movies other than comic book movies.

That list also leaves out Joker, which made an enormous amount of money on a relatively tiny budget.

WB's main problem is that they invested an enormous amount of money and time into their most recent comic book movies. Making $200 million is very solid for the average movie. But, when your movie costs $300 million and took 11 years to develop, that is a massive loss.

They can technically fix that problem right away by not greenlighting $300 million movies and redoing the entire movie every 2 years for a decade.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The test screenings for Aquaman have said the movie is awful so don't be surprised if that bombs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Codependent Poster posted:

The test screenings for Aquaman have said the movie is awful so don't be surprised if that bombs.

That's not really indicative of box office. Terrible movies make tons of money all the time.

Every Transformers movie reviews terribly and gets mixed test screening reactions, but the franchise has grossed over $5 billion.

Batman vs. Superman made a billion dollars despite bad test screenings and reviews.

The first Aquaman made over $1 billion and is still the highest grossing DC movies, which I don't think anyone saw coming.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Weren't those for the extremely before finished VFX version?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’d forgotten about joker. My wondering about their future also includes the idea that they’re selling (or are thinking about selling) a lot of their catalog and that they could only “afford” to release black Adam and don’t worry darling last year.

I’m also pretty dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Joe Fisto posted:

I’d forgotten about joker. My wondering about their future also includes the idea that they’re selling (or are thinking about selling) a lot of their catalog and that they could only “afford” to release black Adam and don’t worry darling last year.

I’m also pretty dumb.

They released more than Black Adam and Don't Worry Darling last year.

They had about a dozen releases last year including major financial successes like Elvis, Fantastic Beasts, The Batman, and the weird "Wonderpets of DC" animated movie with The Rock and Kevin Hart.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They released more than Black Adam and Don't Worry Darling last year.

They had about a dozen releases last year including major financial successes like Elvis, Fantastic Beasts, The Batman, and the weird "Wonderpets of DC" animated movie with The Rock and Kevin Hart.

I’m not sure what I remember reading about then. There was a bunch of talk about those being the only movies coming out. Maybe it was just for the last quarter then.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gunn being there will make the transition smoother once Disney buys DC

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Someday there are going to be doctoral theses written about the fiery sinking submersible that is the current media landscape. Not just at WB/DC, but frankly all over the place at all sorts of studios....
...but also, yeah, specifically about the DCEU brand in 2023 and the myriad labyrinthine reasons it's been giving flop after flop after flop, how no one seemed to be able to see this coming...but also, at the same time, how obvious it all was in retrospect.

Look, I ain't seen the movie. I can't judge the movie that exists. But strictly in terms of drawing people to theaters, right from the outset I'd felt like it was making every wrong choice at every turn, and that's even disregarding the Ezra stuff, which is definitely a huge thing to disregard.

Right off the bat we were doing Flashpoint, and Flashpoint suucks. I'm sorry but it's not a great Flash story, and survives solely on name recognition, on being that one big event that led to the company-wide reboot that's also considered pretty crappy nowadays, none of which the general audience is going to give any poo poo about. The only thing it has going for it, at absolute best, is being sort of an interesting "dark mirror" timeline where everything went wrong and the heroes have to fix it. In that case, you really ought to rope in all the other DCEU actors to have them play the alternate versions of themselves, or else what even is the point?...and of course they don't actually do that here. So that's already, like, strikes one, two, and three.

So if they're not doing the actual Flashpoint, what are they using Flashpoint to do, here? Well they're using the Flashpoint plot to revisit Man of Steel. loving Man of Steel. Man of loving Steel. Man of Steel! What are we doing? Who asked for this? loving Man loving of loving Steel, the notoriously divisive gray-brown-teal-rear end Superman film from ten years ago that the DCEU has already spent every ounce of its goodwill for the past ten years either trying to distance itself from, or else navel-gazing at. We're gonna do this again. Wow. Asses flying to seats, for sure.

So we're gonna do Man of Steel...but guess what? We're not gonna have the Man of Steel. We're gonna lampshade this movie, but without the actual character that the movie is about. The concept of the Flash seems to be catering to people who liked MoS, but only up to a point. Without Cavill, it almost feels like we're simply play-acting at that story. Won't it be fun to see how Barry Allen deals with Zod? That's what we want to see, right? A Superman movie, starring the Flash?

But hold on, it's not just starring the Flash, 'cuz Batman's here. Well that might be cool, right? To see how Batman has to deal with the events of MoS? Especially since we know that the Kryptonian invasion was such a sore spot for Bruce that left such a a mark on him, it would at least be cathartic, or satisfying, or whatever, to see the vaunted Batfleck finally getting his chance to address the bad hand that he was dealt, to right the wrongs in the way that he always wanted to...

........oh wait, it's not actually that Batman. Not only is it not a Batman that has any history with Barry or the Kryptonians...it's not even a Batman that has any history with this universe. Why! Why. Look...again, I haven't seen this. I don't know how they rationalize this. Keaton Batman is cool, I guess. He's literally the Batman I remember from childhood. But what is he doing here, besides raw naked nostalgia? Why would I want to see him inserted into Man of Steel? How was this the right choice for this story? They're navel-gazing at the starting shot storyline of the Snyderverse DCEU, and they put in a Batman from a whole loving different franchise. It's like if they went back to Iron Man 1, but did it with Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man. Already it makes no sense at all and serves no purpose other than to be confusing; even the most brazen MCU fanatics would look at that concept and be like "Yeah that's weird." It's every wrong lesson learned from every multiverse thing for the last decade.

And then uuhhh Supergirl is here too. Keeping in mind that she's functionally a whole new unknown character who's nothing like any Supergirl that anyone, fan or normie, would know from either the comics or the long-running TV show...is she going to draw people to the theater, or is it just going to confuse people more? I mean, I don't think this makes or breaks the film compared to the other issues, but for me new Supergirl is just...there. Another mismatched element of this hodgepodge concept.

And all of that is just the stuff in the movie in and of itself that makes it a weird, hard sell for moviegoers. It doesn't even touch on the aftereffects of Black Adam and Shazam 2 doing a number on the DCEU's rep, or on Gunn having outright told us that they're rebooting this whole thing anyway (but not really!) (but kinda!) so people are even less incentivized to go see this movie that seems to be setting up the next step of this franchise but won't actually set up the next step of this franchise. How is the Flash failing so hard? Hell, at this point I'm surprised it isn't failing harder. Like I'm actually not sure it could fail harder than it already is, but I still kinda expect it to do so.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 26, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joe Fisto posted:

I’m also pretty dumb.

The articles about WB selling their back catalog are a bit click baity. They're putting their back catalog of movie music rights up for sale, not the movies themselves.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Dave posted:

I kind of feel like the Flash is about just as popular as Iron Man was before the first Iron Man movie came out, so DC is just like a couple decades late and missed the boat.

Marvel really pulled the heist of the century and just nailed it almost every step of the way up to End Game.

The Flash had a tv show that lasted several seasons and just recently finished. I think it was a lot higher in popularity than Iron Man ever was.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

The Flash had a tv show that lasted several seasons and just recently finished. I think it was a lot higher in popularity than Iron Man ever was.

The Flash had a TV show that already did the time travel to save his mommy plot. The movie somehow looks like a try-hard rip off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

Someday there are going to be doctoral theses written about the fiery sinking submersible that is the current media landscape. Not just at WB/DC, but frankly all over the place at all sorts of studios....
...but also, yeah, specifically about the DCEU brand in 2023 and the myriad labyrinthine reasons it's been giving flop after flop after flop, how no one seemed to be able to see this coming...but also, at the same time, how obvious it all was in retrospect.

Look, I ain't seen the movie. I can't judge the movie that exists. But strictly in terms of drawing people to theaters, right from the outset I'd felt like it was making every wrong choice at every turn, and that's even disregarding the Ezra stuff, which is definitely a huge thing to disregard.

Right off the bat we were doing Flashpoint, and Flashpoint suucks. I'm sorry but it's not a great Flash story, and survives solely on name recognition, on being that one big event that led to the company-wide reboot that's also considered pretty crappy nowadays, none of which the general audience is going to give any poo poo about. The only thing it has going for it, at absolute best, is being sort of an interesting "dark mirror" timeline where everything went wrong and the heroes have to fix it. In that case, you really ought to rope in all the other DCEU actors to have them play the alternate versions of themselves, or else what even is the point?...and of course they don't actually do that here. So that's already, like, strikes one, two, and three.

So if they're not doing the actual Flashpoint, what are they using Flashpoint to do, here? Well they're using the Flashpoint plot to revisit Man of Steel. loving Man of Steel. Man of loving Steel. Man of Steel! What are we doing? Who asked for this? loving Man loving of loving Steel, the notoriously divisive gray-brown-teal-rear end Superman film from ten years ago that the DCEU has already spent every ounce of its goodwill for the past ten years either trying to distance itself from, or else navel-gazing at. We're gonna do this again. Wow. Asses flying to seats, for sure.

So we're gonna do Man of Steel...but guess what? We're not gonna have the Man of Steel. We're gonna lampshade this movie, but without the actual character that the movie is about. The concept of the Flash seems to be catering to people who liked MoS, but only up to a point. Without Cavill, it almost feels like we're simply play-acting at that story. Won't it be fun to see how Barry Allen deals with Zod? That's what we want to see, right? A Superman movie, starring the Flash?

But hold on, it's not just starring the Flash, 'cuz Batman's here. Well that might be cool, right? To see how Batman has to deal with the events of MoS? Especially since we know that the Kryptonian invasion was such a sore spot for Bruce that left such a a mark on him, it would at least be cathartic, or satisfying, or whatever, to see the vaunted Batfleck finally getting his chance to address the bad hand that he was dealt, to right the wrongs in the way that he always wanted to...

........oh wait, it's not actually that Batman. Not only is it not a Batman that has any history with Barry or the Kryptonians...it's not even a Batman that has any history with this universe. Why! Why. Look...again, I haven't seen this. I don't know how they rationalize this. Keaton Batman is cool, I guess. He's literally the Batman I remember from childhood. But what is he doing here, besides raw naked nostalgia? Why would I want to see him inserted into Man of Steel? How was this the right choice for this story? They're navel-gazing at the starting shot storyline of the Snyderverse DCEU, and they put in a Batman from a whole loving different franchise. It's like if they went back to Iron Man 1, but did it with Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man. Already it makes no sense at all and serves no purpose other than to be confusing; even the most brazen MCU fanatics would look at that concept and be like "Yeah that's weird." It's every wrong lesson learned from every multiverse thing for the last decade.

And then uuhhh Supergirl is here too. Keeping in mind that she's functionally a whole new unknown character who's nothing like any Supergirl that anyone, fan or normie, would know from either the comics or the long-running TV show...is she going to draw people to the theater, or is it just going to confuse people more? I mean, I don't think this makes or breaks the film compared to the other issues, but for me new Supergirl is just...there. Another mismatched element of this hodgepodge concept.

And all of that is just the stuff in the movie in and of itself that makes it a weird, hard sell for moviegoers. It doesn't even touch on the aftereffects of Black Adam and Shazam 2 doing a number on the DCEU's rep, or on Gunn having outright told us that they're rebooting this whole thing anyway (but not really!) (but kinda!) so people are even less incentivized to go see this movie that seems to be setting up the next step of this franchise but won't actually set up the next step of this franchise. How is the Flash failing so hard? Hell, at this point I'm surprised it isn't failing harder. Like I'm actually not sure it could fail harder than it already is, but I still kinda expect it to do so.

The Snyder films are more popular than you think hth

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Hollywood Reporter has the list of 6 actors who screen-tested for Superman and Lois for Superman: Legacy.

- Nicholas Hoult and Rachel Brosnahan
- Tom Brittney and Phoebe Dynevor
- David Corenswet and Emma Mackey

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...m_medium=social

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Hollywood Reporter has the list of 6 actors who screen-tested for Superman and Lois for Superman: Legacy.

- Nicholas Hoult and Rachel Brosnahan
- Tom Brittney and Phoebe Dynevor
- David Corenswet and Emma Mackey

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...m_medium=social
Brosnahan also screen tested for Marvel as Sue Storm

I've never heard of those other two sets after Hoult/Brosnahan

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Snyder movies have their audience, but it's not as big as the one WB wanted. It's all the folks who are anticipating that Netflix movie about an evil moon or whatever.

Usually when something fails or succeeds I can usually see a pretty clear logic to it and that's definitely the case with Flash. Flash isn't A-list, Ezra isn't even the most popular incarnation of Flash, on top of being a maniac, Flashpoint is a story that hinges heavily upon caring about Barry and his Mom enough to understand why he'd be willing to put the multiverse in danger (which it fails at, every single time, like some kinda Bizarro Across the Spider Verse)--which also makes it ANOTHER DC movie that is taking for granted the audience's investment/familiarity with all this poo poo instead of building it up internally during the movies, the cameos came across as desperate instead of "check this poo poo out" confident, the marketing footage just generally looks bad in that "movies that are taking all the worst visual cues from a video game" way, it's coming out after two bad DC movies in Black Adam and Shazam 2...

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Movie theaters are not filled (or not filled) by people who know what "flashpoint" is

If you're relying on people to know fuckall about the characters let alone "famous" arcs, iron man would have flopped hard, to say nothing of GotG

The trailers, cast, and press tour have to excite people. That's really it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Brosnahan also screen tested for Marvel as Sue Storm

I've never heard of those other two sets after Hoult/Brosnahan

The other two actresses are leads on big Netflix shows - Sex Ed and Bridgerton.

I also have never heard of the other two actors.

Edit: THR also says that both Alexander and Bill Skarsgard are finalists (but, not the only finalists) for Lex Luthor.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 26, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CelticPredator posted:

The Snyder films are more popular than you think hth

Honestly if they had actually managed to put it together in time, I think flash might've done well if they got it out soon after the Snyder Cut dropped on Max because iirc people responded pretty well to the time travel sequence in that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Flash was never supposed to come out this late, but I know they had directors dropping out and I think script problems for years, right

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Snyder stuff was part of the problem here. The people who don't like Snyder movies obviously don't want to revisit them, and the guys who do like Snyder stuff didn't want to see this because Henry Cavill isn't in it. It's one of those properties that manages to offend and turn off everyone on every side

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Flash was never supposed to come out this late, but I know they had directors dropping out and I think script problems for years, right

The Flash was technically in development for almost 35 years.

But, the most recent version was originally supposed to come out in 2017 and started production in 2014.

quote:

The development of a film based on The Flash began in the late 1980s, with multiple writers and directors attached to the project through 2014. The film was then redeveloped as a part of the DCEU, with Miller cast as the title character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Going to quote myself from like 6 months ago, but yeah it has a looooooooooong history before it got to where we are now

Cael posted:

I wanted to look this up again because the Flash's movie history has always been insanely funny to me. This is JUST directors, not even getting into cast or writers (or Ezra themselves . . .):

October 2014: Flash formally announced
April 2015: Lord and Miller possibly directing since they were writing the initial script
October 2015: Seth Grahame-Smith announced to direct, leaves the following April
June 2016: Rick Famuyiwa announced to direct, leaves the following October
*largely on hold due to Fantastic Beasts filming*
March 2018: John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein announced to direct, leave in July 2019
November 2019: Andy Muschietti announced to direct