Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bremen posted:

So, I'm planning on buying a deck; I'm going to wait for the summer sale in case it gets a discount but will probably end up buying one anyway (it's a reward for hitting my weight loss goal). But before the sale starts I wanted to ask about what's the recommended model? I've seen posts about upgrading the storage but don't know how it works/how hard it is, so I'm not sure if I should go for the 512gb or a cheaper one and plan to upgrade. I'm not totally inept but I'm no electronics surgeon either. Also, what's the predominant goon opinion about the other listed features like the anti glare screen?

I don't really care about the profile/theme stuff.

Sorry, I know I could probably find my answers in the thread but it's a really long and active thread.

Congrats on the weight loss: the Steam Deck will be the happiest 1.65lbs you ever gain. The SSD swap is a 30 minute affair, plus about that much time re-imaging from the recovery image. That image left me with a couple of glitches (missing “Return to Gaming Mode” shortcut, “install Firefox” link didn’t work right) but if you’re a computer-handy sort they aren’t tricky to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I did some jank stuff to install Diablo 4 on my steam deck, had to load the Bnet launcher through proton and got it kind of working that way. The annoying part is that I can't launch Diablo directly without going through the Bnet launcher. And the Bnet launcher doesn't seem to recognize the touch pads, so I gotta use the touch screen to even launch it. This isn't usually a problem but sometimes the Bnet launcher loads in the wrong resolution and the play button is off my screen so I can't even get to it.

Have other people had better luck getting Diablo 4 running without this annoying downside?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you don't even have to upgrade the ssd in the 64 gig any time soon, a big microsd card's practically as fast for most purposes and will be just as useful when you decide to get some wild 2 terabyte ssd next year or whatever

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Got fed up with the existing modloaders for linux so, gently caress it, i will make my own I guess ????

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I did some jank stuff to install Diablo 4 on my steam deck, had to load the Bnet launcher through proton and got it kind of working that way. The annoying part is that I can't launch Diablo directly without going through the Bnet launcher. And the Bnet launcher doesn't seem to recognize the touch pads, so I gotta use the touch screen to even launch it. This isn't usually a problem but sometimes the Bnet launcher loads in the wrong resolution and the play button is off my screen so I can't even get to it.

Have other people had better luck getting Diablo 4 running without this annoying downside?

Not as far as I've seen. It's the same on windows when you double click the desktop icon it just loads the stupid launcher and you have to click play.

If you were on windows there is a way to bypass the launcher but you need to edit the desktop icon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just change the controller config to one with the touchpads enabled. i use the emudeck config they have for xbox streaming. had no issue with the launcher shortcut launching at the wrong resolution myself

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I just hold the Steam button to make the trackpad into a mouse pointer - that should always work.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

tuyop posted:

Because the switch needs to be in docked mode to work, the attached controllers will not function so my HORI compact pad is out.
It'd be wired but you're already wired up so why not get the adapter they have? https://stores.horiusa.com/split-pad-pro-attachment-for-nintendo-switch/

Gonna Send It posted:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I never actually looked at the full stock of parts available from ifixit until now; I assumed they sold basically everything based on the good press surrounding them partnering with Valve to sell parts. I guess dropping the deck and breaking the shoulder button off the daughterboards is pretty common, and they no longer even have those listed.
They never offered it, it's been a running complaint. I had that fail on me like 2 months before warranty would be gone(from a drop in the case) and it was officially not covered (likely since I told the truth that it was dropped in the case) but replaced as a courtesy. People have been fixing the issues themselves with some light tinkering though.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hold the Steam button and then you have right trackpad as mouse, with RT being left click.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

you don't even have to upgrade the ssd in the 64 gig any time soon, a big microsd card's practically as fast for most purposes and will be just as useful when you decide to get some wild 2 terabyte ssd next year or whatever
Naw, if you end up having a lot of installed games on a large SD card you will easily fill the local storage really fast on 64 GB. I would only start with a 256 personally (if/when you replace the SSD you can reuse that as something but the 64 GB is slower and less useful after the fact imo), but sprung for the 512.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I did buy a new SSD, is there any way to use the old nvme in an enclosure on the Deck ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I did buy a new SSD, is there any way to use the old nvme in an enclosure on the Deck ?

Yeah you can just buy an external USBC enclosure for like $5 off Amazon.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah you can just buy an external USBC enclosure for like $5 off Amazon.

I own one, but I'm not sure how to format the old nvme to work in gaming mode.

I used the enclosure to clone the old drive onto the new one so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I own one, but I'm not sure how to format the old nvme to work in gaming mode.

I used the enclosure to clone the old drive onto the new one so far.

It should auto mount it and let you format it. They fixed that in SteamOS 3.4.2

if not you can do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isXjD_Hw5Vw

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Get the 512gb one if you care about having the good screen or get the 64gb one and put a bigger SSD in it if you don’t

The 256gb one is for nobody

Or get the 64gb, a 512 GB/1TB microsd card and apply a Jsaux matte screen protector that costs 15€.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Bremen posted:

So, I'm planning on buying a deck; I'm going to wait for the summer sale in case it gets a discount but will probably end up buying one anyway (it's a reward for hitting my weight loss goal). But before the sale starts I wanted to ask about what's the recommended model? I've seen posts about upgrading the storage but don't know how it works/how hard it is, so I'm not sure if I should go for the 512gb or a cheaper one and plan to upgrade. I'm not totally inept but I'm no electronics surgeon either. Also, what's the predominant goon opinion about the other listed features like the anti glare screen?

I don't really care about the profile/theme stuff.

Sorry, I know I could probably find my answers in the thread but it's a really long and active thread.

Ifyou're comfortable upgrading the SSD yourself then 64gb should be fine. I haven't found the screen a while lot better than my brother's 64gb since I play through my nreal glasses, but I've read that other anti glare screen protectors work just as well.

If you're not interested in doing an SSD upgrade yourself, then I would say 512gb no question; it fills up fast and a lot of my latest installs are pushing 70-90gb per game, and all the shader installs adds to that fast. I'm installing and reinstalling games on and off now. But my brother with a 64 gb had been stuck with no storage available thanks to the shaders for a while which slows his deck to a crawl. There are ways around this like using sd cards for games (which apparently perform very well), or just swapping your installs constantly. 512 gb is in no way required, is just been pretty nice and convenient, and as others have mentioned, your can upgraded your storage yourself pretty easily.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 26, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Asking about a weird issue my Deck's gotten, the headphone jack doesn't work in gaming mode. It works just fine in desktop so there's nothing wrong with the jack itself but gaming mode won't detect anything plugged in and it doesn't show under the audio inputs to change manually. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I backed the Shargeek Disk thingy. Taki Udon did a video on it.

https://youtu.be/qRDDNJx-JbA

Looks like a neat doodad. I still have the 512gb after my 1tb upgrade. How useful will it be? I dunno. It’s probably a waste of money but I can’t resist little cute gadgets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Asking about a weird issue my Deck's gotten, the headphone jack doesn't work in gaming mode. It works just fine in desktop so there's nothing wrong with the jack itself but gaming mode won't detect anything plugged in and it doesn't show under the audio inputs to change manually. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sounds like a wipe and reinstall is in your future.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Hopper posted:

Or get the 64gb, a 512 GB/1TB microsd card and apply a Jsaux matte screen protector that costs 15€.

^^ This. Except I went the 1TB SSD route although while I waited for it to arrive, I did have a 512GB MicroSD in it and it played Fallout76 just fine (too big for the 64GB drive install). Once I upgraded the SSD I moved the games to the SSD and honestly noticed no difference in performance vs. the MicroSD. Sooo, get the 64GB and a matte protector fo sho

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh, also if you don’t buy the 512gb one you get the wrong coloured zip pulls and no blue dot or microfibre cloth, so everyone knows you bought one of the cheap baby ones instead of the big dick edition and you feel ashamed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sad but true.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'd like to play Diablo 2 Remastered on the Deck. How are the controls? And does it require always-online?

How easy is it to install Battle.Net on the Deck?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

I'd like to play Diablo 2 Remastered on the Deck. How are the controls? And does it require always-online?

How easy is it to install Battle.Net on the Deck?

Controls are perfect.

AFAIK no always online

Its pretty easy to install Battle.net I'd just have keyboard and mouse on hand to make it a bit easier in desktop mode.

I'm very happy with D2 on the deck.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Controls are perfect.

AFAIK no always online

Its pretty easy to install Battle.net I'd just have keyboard and mouse on hand to make it a bit easier in desktop mode.

I'm very happy with D2 on the deck.

How does it handle sleep / pick up and play? Does it boot you back to menu?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I did this:

- Download the Battle.net exe directly
- Add it to Steam as a Non-Steam game
- Launch with Proton Experimental as a compatibility tool
- Run it in Desktop Mode and sign in and everything, maximize the window
- Run it in Gaming Mode
- Change right touchpad to be a mouse pointer/left click in the controller configuration tool
- Download and run that bitch

I do not know how this works with an SD

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Oh, also if you don’t buy the 512gb one you get the wrong coloured zip pulls and no blue dot or microfibre cloth, so everyone knows you bought one of the cheap baby ones instead of the big dick edition and you feel ashamed.

Ar least ain't nobody gonna steal what looks like the cheap deck, because they can't see your 2 TB aftermarket SSD.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

"It's ugly plastic garbage" did not protect my 96 Chevy Corsica so ymmv

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

alexandriao posted:

Got fed up with the existing modloaders for linux so, gently caress it, i will make my own I guess ????

Integrate it with DeckyLoader and have the ultimate add on for Steam Deck. :ocelot:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Interestingly I managed to get launching directly during the beta using the -SSO flag, but it seems to have stopped working on release. I just gave up and started running it through battlenet launcher each time.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like the idea of Counter-Strike and all, but the insane competitive nature of it turns me off. Is there a casual idiot goon group or something for it?

honestly i'd just play a chiller game. deep rock, vermintide, hell playing l4d2 with friends still owns

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

I did this:

- Download the Battle.net exe directly
- Add it to Steam as a Non-Steam game
- Launch with Proton Experimental as a compatibility tool
- Run it in Desktop Mode and sign in and everything, maximize the window
- Run it in Gaming Mode
- Change right touchpad to be a mouse pointer/left click in the controller configuration tool
- Download and run that bitch

I do not know how this works with an SD

Alternatively
-install Lutris
-install Battlenet

works great off mircoSD card

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So i managed to clone my old ssd with DD via Konsole,it worked,then bootloader, then i redid my steps and it works now despite me doing exactly the same thing.

I reformatted my old SSD to ext4, put it in an enclosure,created a Steam Library on it.

Am I correct that SteamOS doesn't Auto mount external drives and you have to mount them in desktop mode every time?

If so, that's annoying

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
You can launch Diablo 4 directly on PC by launching Battle.net.exe with the launch parameter "--exec="launch Fen" ". I haven't tried it but I assume you can add this to the proton launch parameters on the deck to achieve similar.

For battle net mouse on the deckI just changed the right trackpad to mouse in the steam controller layout. It auto flips to the controller layout in D4 the moment you press any of the other buttons.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
steamdeck was being weird af deleting ubiconnect install so installing trackmania, putting the shortcut to that games ubiconnect, then installing valhalla in that games subfolder lol. wonder if its some sort of auto culling to make space for itself on the main disk. deleted some big rear end crap i never play just in case.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sigher posted:

Integrate it with DeckyLoader and have the ultimate add on for Steam Deck. :ocelot:

I mean its an iiiinteresting idea but I am allergic to React :negative: lol

The bright side is all the bits are there i just need to duct tape them together and make it look gud. The only current theoretical problem is "how to avoid mount requiring sudo" (the answer is to provide an option to safely write a line into the sudoers file that allows `deck` to use mount.overlay but like, that is Awkward. Alternatively we can use overlayfs-fuse at performance cost) and then later features like "How do we support itchio/lutris/whatever" (look at how emudeck's parser infra discovers that poo poo), etc.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 27, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I'm trying to get X-Com running on this and I'm wondering, do I need to install the Linux version of Open X-Com and futz around with that, or can I just download the windows installer and run that through Protontricks?

EDIT: So I got the appimage to run, nevermind, but it's saying the games aren't found. They are installed. Do I need to create a new folder and put the appimage in it with the gamedata?

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 27, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'm trying to get X-Com running on this and I'm wondering, do I need to install the Linux version of Open X-Com and futz around with that, or can I just download the windows installer and run that through Protontricks?

EDIT: So I got the appimage to run, nevermind, but it's saying the games aren't found. They are installed. Do I need to create a new folder and put the appimage in it with the gamedata?

You might want to symlink/move the game data to .local/share/openxcom

edit: so something like:

ln -s "$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/XCom UFO Defense/XCOM" "$HOME/.local/share/openxcom/XCOM"

ln -s "$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X-Com Terror from the Deep/TFD" "$HOME/.local/share/openxcom/TFD"

replace $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps with /run/media/SteamDisk/steamapps if it's on the external disk

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Question, which fingers do people use for the back grips, 3/4 or 4/5? I want to use 3/4 but I have fairly short fingers so it's a bit of an uncomfortable stretch even with chunkier grips added, plus 4/5 lets me rest the trigger overhang on finger 3, but pressing buttons with my pinkies just feels weird.

I dunno, I definitely think it would be more comfortable if they shifted the grip buttons upwards, but I don't know what the experience is like for those who are long of finger?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

you need to put the files in one of the correct default directory as detailed here, or make a .desktop file with the flag -data path_to_your_xcom_install

FYI the paths that are specified in that link might look a bit confusing, just for clarity:

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME = /home/deck/.config
$XDG_DATA_HOME = /home/deck/.local/share
$HOME = /home/deck

e: f,b

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vic posted:

Alternatively
-install Lutris
-install Battlenet

works great off mircoSD card

Lol lutris is literally the same with the extra step of needing to install lutris first. Completely pointless when steam / proton already handles it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Question, which fingers do people use for the back grips, 3/4 or 4/5? I want to use 3/4 but I have fairly short fingers so it's a bit of an uncomfortable stretch even with chunkier grips added, plus 4/5 lets me rest the trigger overhang on finger 3, but pressing buttons with my pinkies just feels weird.

I dunno, I definitely think it would be more comfortable if they shifted the grip buttons upwards, but I don't know what the experience is like for those who are long of finger?
Honestly, whatever of 3/4/5 is most convenient at the moment. I hold the Deck with just my pointer fingers on the L and R buttons most of the time, so usually it's my index and ring fingers resting around the back paddle buttons, but on the rare occasion that I need a bumper, a trigger, and a back paddle all at once, my pinkie might get called into service.