Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

PastaBakeWizard posted:

What are some good fantasy anime or manga that aren't isekai and don't do the thing where it takes place in video game logic/the character has a stat screen and class abilities like they're in a video game? Big fan of western fantasy books and very into anime and mangoes but I don't really think I've ever seen a classic fantasy setting played completely straight in anime outside of Berserk.

Claymore is not 100% a traditional one, but I think its close enough.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is about an elf dealing with the mortality of her companions. It currently only has a manga but its getting an anime.

Dungeon Meshi is actually pretty traditional and its getting an anime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dungeon meshi is definitely D&D inspired in terms of how stuff functions (and takes place almost entirely within a single dungeon) but the characters arent literally checking their stat screens or anything, yeah.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for the recs folks, these look great c:

Endorph posted:

maria the virgin witch, yeah. if they're okay with historical-fantasy type stuff vinland saga is also a big recommend, but i assumed they wanted made-up settings.
You're completely right in what I was asking for. Incidentally though I'm also happy to receive any other fantasy recs, including stuff like urban and historical fantasy and stuff where the RPG influence is there; I don't hate the RPG stuff, I just wanted to see familiar things through the anime lens out of curiosity rather than out of gripe. And I'll definitely check out Maria the Virgin Witch and Vinland Saga.

folks posted:

Dungeon Meshi
you're so right. It's fantastic.

PastaBakeWizard fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 26, 2023

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Moribito is a very good classical-style fantasy anime, if you're ok with asian fantasy settings and not just euro fantasy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're willing to tolerate "Technically isekai but it never really comes up," you might try "Faraway Paladin."

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're willing to tolerate "Technically isekai but it never really comes up," you might try "Faraway Paladin."

That and Helck are both incredibly good. Bonus points for Helck being complete already and getting a sequel as well as an anime.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Coffin princess chaika is worth a watch. Not entirely sure how well the story holds up but the fight scenes are sick.

Definitely watch rage of bahamut genesis though absolutely don't skip that one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It is sad that isekai makes actual fantasy anime seem rare. There's a lot of it!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PastaBakeWizard posted:

What are some good fantasy anime or manga that aren't isekai and don't do the thing where it takes place in video game logic/the character has a stat screen and class abilities like they're in a video game? Big fan of western fantasy books and very into anime and mangoes but I don't really think I've ever seen a classic fantasy setting played completely straight in anime outside of Berserk.

Witch Hat Atelier is pretty good and still ongoing.

Delicious in Dungeon is fantastic, I echo the other people recommending it, it’s wrapping up soon so will probably end in a few months.

Girl From the Other Side uses a European medieval setting but mostly takes place in the wilderness so it doesn’t come up too much.

Frieren Life After Journey’s End is a very good read if you like subdued melancholy (also still ongoing)

I’m told that Slayers is pretty fun.

There’s tons of Korean comics set in a standard European fantasy setting but most of them that I’ve read have been isekai, not good, or a combination of the two.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

It is sad that isekai makes actual fantasy anime seem rare. There's a lot of it!

It's just a matter of the genres getting anime produced shifting over time combined with far more anime coming out overall too. Like, there used to be a fair amount of regular fantasy anime coming out, but once the modern style of isekai (and their video game equivalent) started catching attention, the more classic style of fantasy anime really started becoming incredibly rare. Hell, even the more modern fantasy anime still getting produced always seems to have some gimmick or another rather than being a more classic sword and sorcery adventure (ex: Dungeon Meshi, or The Legendary Hero is Dead!) - the more classic style these days is almost inevitably isekai, and also almost inevitably with a massively OP MC.

Just for an example, Scrapped Princess came out in Spring 2003, a season that had 31 series total. The season that just passed, Spring 2023, had 54. There was also the shift from 24/26 episodes being fairly common to 12 episodes being the standard, so that bloats the numbers of more modern stuff even more.

Finally, the requestor kind of limited the selection as some classic fantasy anime does have isekai in them, but in the old school style rather than the modern one (ex: Rayearth, Escaflowne, and Inuyasha).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

western style fantasy stuff didnt really hit that big in japan until the video game/tabletop era, is my understanding. D&D, ultima, etc. if you look at literary awards for foreign SFF novels, most of them are going to sci-fi before then. so thats probably the reason that western fantasy has ties to video game-y stuff even predating the current web novel boom, like how record of lodoss war and slayers still bear previous obvious marks of being D&D based even if they aren't literally referencing their stat sheets.

theres guin saga ofc, but guin saga didnt even win the seiun award until 2005ish, almost 40 years after it started

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 27, 2023

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for all the cool shows folks.

Lord Koth posted:

Finally, the requestor kind of limited the selection as some classic fantasy anime does have isekai in them, but in the old school style rather than the modern one (ex: Rayearth, Escaflowne, and Inuyasha).
If anyone wants to just rec any fantasy even if isekai I'd be more than happy to hear it! I don't hate isekai, I was just curious about how anime studios interpret fantasy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bit surprised nobody has recommended you Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen yet. It's about an elderly retired knight who goes on a journey to find a suitable place to die, and enjoy wonderful food and drink along the way. It's gorgeous, it's dramatic, it's cute and funny in places, it has great action, and it's powerfully sentimental.

I also love that it'll have beautifully detailed artwork most of the time but also just randomly give Bard a :3 face in places

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 27, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also if you hop into The Faraway Paladin, don't watch the anime, read the manga. the anime is a subpar adaptation, while the manga is stellar.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

a bit surprised nobody has recommended you Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen yet. It's about an elderly retired knight who goes on a journey to find a suitable place to die, and enjoy wonderful food and drink along the way. It's gorgeous, it's dramatic, it's cute and funny in places, it has great action, and it's powerfully sentimental.

I feel like I add something to my reading list every time you post. I barely ever read manga these days though, so the list is getting very long...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

also if you hop into The Faraway Paladin, don't watch the anime, read the manga. the anime is a subpar adaptation, while the manga is stellar.

That anime is one of the reasons I've dropped out of the medium(anime not manga). An absolutely stellar series and THAT was the best you could do for it in terms of an animated adaption? It's like that whole fiasco with both the last attempt at a Berserk anime or Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer(there's actually a really good fantasy series from the author, but the name escapes me).

Not sure if exactly applicable, but Asebi and Adventures in the Sky World is incredibly solid and you might also be interested in Witch Hat Atelier and while more in the game side since it's a VRMMO series, Shangri-la Frontier is hard not to rec and The Hero is Dead is great fun if you enjoy stuff like Konosuba and don't mind there being a lot dumb horny schlockiness intersperseded with moments of drama and depth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

runawayturtles posted:

I feel like I add something to my reading list every time you post. I barely ever read manga these days though, so the list is getting very long...
well let me add another to that backlog, Yakuza Reincarnation, where an elderly yakuza member dies while fighting some punks by a pier, and awakens as the exiled princess of a fantasy kingdom on a journey. but it's no prim and proper setting, one of the first arcs involves drug dealers and addicts. it has some AMAZING parallels for real world crime syndicates in a fantasy setting, just some loving phenomenal designs and abilities. I really, really want an anime of this, and for Trigger to do it, because they would do an amazing job with the action I think.

it's super loving good. top tier.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I watched a bunch of romance/romcoms this season (dangers, insomniacs, skiploaf, finishing yamada999) and I guess didn't realize how much I missed shows like this.

Any in the last few years that i may have missed of similar quality/worth watching?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 4, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My Dress Up Darling, Horimiya, and for sure Kaguya Sama love is War.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tabletops posted:

I watched a bunch of romance/romcoms this season (dangers, insomniacs, skiploaf, finishing yamada999) and I guess didn't realize how much I missed shows like this.

Any in the last few years that i may have missed of similar quality/worth watching?

Domestic Girlfriend, Call of the Night

or just watch Nana

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah call of the night is pretty good too. Especially the manga where the anime left off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Love Story, for sure, if you like fluffy romcoms.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Ore Monogatari

Lovely Complex

Kimi ni Todoke

Kaguya-sama

Dress-up Darling

Miss Shikimori

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Ore Monogatari

I originally mentally parsed this as part of the Bakemonogatari series and was very confused as to why it was being recommended as a romcom unless you're into some really weird poo poo.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Thanks for the recs, I should have provided a list of what I have actually seen in the last few years

Ore no monogatari(was actually when it came out i think)
Kaguya
Kimi no todoke
Dress up darling
Horimiya
Love after world domination

Maybe a few others I’d struggle to put in that camp like chihayafuru

I’ll check out the others y’all mentioned that i don’t know

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Thanks for the recs, I should have provided a list of what I have actually seen in the last few years

Ore no monogatari(was actually when it came out i think)
Kaguya
Kimi no todoke
Dress up darling
Horimiya
Love after world domination

Maybe a few others I’d struggle to put in that camp like chihayafuru

I’ll check out the others y’all mentioned that i don’t know

Forgot to add Taisho Otome Otogibanashi. It and Shikimori are better read since their animes had to cut so e content in places. Senryu Shoujo is also good, but the anime was kind of lacking(so read the manga instead) and Pseudo Harem doesn’t have anime, but is incredibly good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pseudo Harem is really good. I love it a lot

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Pseudo Harem is really good. I love it a lot

Indeed. A few more came to mind like,

Sweat and Soap

Wotakoi

Drinking is for Married Couples

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tabletops posted:

The only one that matters.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Genuinely despite the title this is easily my favourite of a lot of good ones mentioned above and I could write a lot about why I think it's quite so good.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

monthly girls nozaki-kun

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Natural 20 posted:

Genuinely despite the title this is easily my favourite of a lot of good ones mentioned above and I could write a lot about why I think it's quite so good.

Well? We are waiting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay so the other day I was talking about how I enjoyed Sentai Filmworks dub of Vinland Saga season 1. I haven't gotten around to Season 2 yet but now I want to dig in and I need some advice on how to watch it because I'm very confused. I knew that there was the Netflix dub of season 1 which I've also watched and enjoyed, but apparently there's also a third dub produced by Crunchyroll that includes actors from both the Netflix and Sentai dubs.

Did Sentai only produce a dub for season 1 or have they produced a dub for Season 2 as well? Same for Netflix's dub. Are both Season 1 dubs superseded by the CR dub for season 2? If there are multiple dubbing options I would like to go with the one that has the most continuity between voice actors and I generally preferred Sentai's season 1 over Netflix. What is the best option for me in this situation?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Well? We are waiting.

Hell I love the show and I'll chuck in a quick bit on Rascal; The elevator pitch is it's about teenage traumas and hangups through the analogy of quantum physics, told through several multi-episode arcs each focusing on a different girl's problems.

No, seriously.

Basically it uses quantum concepts to exaggerate basic teenage hangups into sci-fi situations, like the titular "bunny girl" is running around in that outfit in the show's first arc because she's literally invisible to people and unnoticed by everyone (like, smacking someone is just "Huh, what was that?"), and desperate to be noticed by anyone. Naturally only the MC can see her, or acknowledge her existence, because she's been dealing with not wanting to be a TV actor anymore and just wishes people wouldn't "see" her as she's a minor celebrity and all that brings with it (and just wants a normal life). And now every trace of her existence in the world is slowly disappearing and if nobody sees her, well, she won't exist anymore....

The later arcs get weirder.

It is not a harem show, nor even goes near the idea of dabbling in being one. In fact the two lead characters get together after the first arc and have an actual healthy relationship with communication. No cheap drama and none of that will-they-won't-they bullshit you see in some romance shows and has a solid emotional core between all the characters involved.

And then there's the movie to wrap it all up. Oh god, the movie...

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's also not the same type of show as the prompt though, it's a supernatural drama not a romcom

kater
Nov 16, 2010

thats like saying haruhi isnt a romcom

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The later arcs get weirder.

Okay, fine, you have my attention. I'll check this one out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, fine, you have my attention. I'll check this one out.

They also get sadder. And there's another movie coming out this year!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Natural 20 posted:

The only one that matters.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

I have seen it but hadn’t really considered it as fitting the vibe. Didn’t see the movies though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

doomrider7 posted:

Forgot to add Taisho Otome Otogibanashi. It and Shikimori are better read since their animes had to cut so e content in places. Senryu Shoujo is also good, but the anime was kind of lacking(so read the manga instead) and Pseudo Harem doesn’t have anime, but is incredibly good.

Thanks, I just caught up with the insomniacs manga then read chion san, so I guess I’m doing manga now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tabletops posted:

I have seen it but hadn’t really considered it as fitting the vibe. Didn’t see the movies though.

Go watch Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl right now!

No excuses, get to it! :goonsay:

...Maybe maybe make sure you set aside some time, and tissues, afterwards to process though...