Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't watch it anymore without thinking about the TFS version of Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saoshyant posted:

I'm sorry, but are you threatening me with a good time?

i meant no negative connotation

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hellsing Ultimate is fine. My first watch through by the mid point I was like “fuckkk this is dragging” but it was just fatigue trying to marathon the thing . Second watch didn’t have that sensation.

It’s very 90s edgy so if you are not into that it’ll probably not be fun, but it’s very well produced.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Had a great time with Ultimate and it the bonus of being able to have a lot of fun with Ultimate abrdiged after is a good deal.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

yall makin me sad we never got more Drifters

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I can't watch it anymore without thinking about the TFS version of Anderson.

Abridged Anderson is extremely funny and enough of a recommendation for HUA on his own imo.

Watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Abridged Anderson is extremely funny and enough of a recommendation for HUA on his own imo.

Watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

Boondock...Saints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxF4v5asYNc

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pootybutt posted:

The author is just extremely slow at putting out new chapters. The manga hasn't been cancelled or anything.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
A friend and I randomly decided to watch Rozen Maiden; But apparently there's like multiple versions of it? A 2004 one by studio Nomad and a 2013 one by Deen. Would anyone happen to be familiar with both and be able to tell me if one is particularly worth picking over the other?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the deen anime isnt a reboot, its an adaptation of the sequel manga.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the 00s series is decent, it's 2 seasons

the 2013 one is a weird alternate timeline sequel where the protagonist is in college instead of middle school and it kind of assumes familiarity with the 00s one (but starts with a recap episode of the 00s series so you could theoretically watch it first i guess?). it has a bit more serious tone and some cool shaft-esque direction from the kaguya-sama director.

i liked them both

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

watched the 2013 and thought it was pretty neat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've finally gotten good at Children of a Dead Earth and want to watch a spaceship show with that kind of feel with managing orbit positions and intercept windows that are seconds long. I dusted off my Starship Operators DVDs which is in the same ballpark as that kind of space warfare, so I'm wondering what else there is.

Putting 20 nukes and 40 flak missiles in a retrograde interception course so they're going so fast relative to the enemy fleet that CIWS can't do poo poo feels so satisfying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think you've ever actually mentioned it one way or the other and if you have I apologise for missing it, but have you watched the series referenced in the literal gag thread title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes? While the majority is space politicking, the actual spaceship battles are fantastic in exactly the sort of hard sci fi you seem to be after. Ships arrayed in grids, firing lasers light years away from each other, trying to predict fleet movements with time delay from being so far away from each other that visual information is literally delayed, shields being useless at anything but the farthest range distances. Fleets of ships being measured in the tens if not hundreds of thousands with millions of crew on deck across them. Carriers with both fighters and boarding craft, and melee weapons and armor being used by boarders in lieu of guns due to anti-firearm tech. And that's not even getting into the awesomeness of something like the Iserlohn Fortress, a planetoid fortress with controllable liquid magnetic metal on its surface to defend from weaponry.

It was such a prolific recommendation for a reason, and if you're looking for hard sci-fi, it's probably right up your alley.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's an element, but it doesn't really indulge in that feeling of complex space maneuvers. The battles are edited more like a conversation between the admirals. Sometimes you'll have a cut between one guy giving an order on his bridge and the other guy ordering a response on his own bridge, not realizing that hours passed between those shots. It's stoic, handsome anime men standing around outsmarting each other in space, which is cool, but although the sci-fi is relatively hard, it's also relatively unimportant.

It's good, is what I'm trying to say here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've finally gotten good at Children of a Dead Earth and want to watch a spaceship show with that kind of feel with managing orbit positions and intercept windows that are seconds long. I dusted off my Starship Operators DVDs which is in the same ballpark as that kind of space warfare, so I'm wondering what else there is.

Putting 20 nukes and 40 flak missiles in a retrograde interception course so they're going so fast relative to the enemy fleet that CIWS can't do poo poo feels so satisfying.

Very little regarding space battle but Planetes goes into a good bit of orbital mechanics stuff mostly around avoiding collisions etc but there are some very tense scenes that deal directly with that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

That's an element, but it doesn't really indulge in that feeling of complex space maneuvers. The battles are edited more like a conversation between the admirals. Sometimes you'll have a cut between one guy giving an order on his bridge and the other guy ordering a response on his own bridge, not realizing that hours passed between those shots. It's stoic, handsome anime men standing around outsmarting each other in space, which is cool, but although the sci-fi is relatively hard, it's also relatively unimportant.

It's good, is what I'm trying to say here.

Also the intent isn't really Expanse-esque realism but more akin to older styles of warfare, where generals are throwing hundreds of men with muskets at eachother and calculating a win by who has more still alive at the end while sipping tea on a hill with a view at the back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m almost done with the Nirvana Initiative. Any Uchikoshi like anime mysteries? Maybe with fewer sex jokes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you've not played Shibuya Scramble, play that. Not sure how similar it is to his stuff but it's good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait this is the anime forum

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akudama Drive?

Comedy option Punchline.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean to one day, but I was looking for something to watch atm.

E: yeah I think I’ll check out Akudama Drive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I’m almost done with the Nirvana Initiative. Any Uchikoshi like anime mysteries? Maybe with fewer sex jokes.
uchikoshi worked on akanesasu shoujo. its not really that much of a mindfuck mystery - there's a bit of that but its on the backburner - but its very lesbian and definitely has a bit of his like, sense of flow.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch Punchline and you can better appreciate how much Uchikoshi is restraining himself with the sex jokes on all of his other works its not very good tho

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Steins;Gate

Uchikoshi was actually a guest scenario writer for the Linear Bounded Phenogram spin-off. :eng101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Steins;Gate

I’m guessing those stories are better experienced in their original vn form?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I’m guessing those stories are better experienced in their original vn form?

The Steins;Gate anime is a pretty good adaption if you just wanna watch it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the steins;gate anime is missing a bit of stuff for the side characters but if you just want the story its a good adaptation

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Steins;Gate's story is surprisingly linear. You just miss all the "bad" ends you can get from the VN which I highly recommend you Youtube if you don't want to go through the novel. Some of them are really good and you'll instantly know where in the anime that decision branch happens.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

uchikoshi worked on akanesasu shoujo. its not really that much of a mindfuck mystery - there's a bit of that but its on the backburner - but its very lesbian and definitely has a bit of his like, sense of flow.

Magical girl transformation by way of the SONY WALKMAN™.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone itching for space stuff should also look at Space Brothers, not so much space opera but rather a pretty indepth look at contemporary space programs (still with plenty of drama)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

And humor. Kills me that the manga is ongoing, there’s 100 eps of the show, and yet no new anime in a decade.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll also recommend the Twin Spica manga as a good time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DamnGlitch posted:

And humor. Kills me that the manga is ongoing, there’s 100 eps of the show, and yet no new anime in a decade.

I wanted to like Space Brothers, but 100 episodes was too much and it was so saccharine/melodramatic too.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Pootybutt posted:

Christ almighty that poo poo was such a banger...

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
What are some good fantasy anime or manga that aren't isekai and don't do the thing where it takes place in video game logic/the character has a stat screen and class abilities like they're in a video game? Big fan of western fantasy books and very into anime and mangoes but I don't really think I've ever seen a classic fantasy setting played completely straight in anime outside of Berserk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lodoss War

If you want comedy, Slayers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the one set during the 100 Years War? Maria the Virgin Witch?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PastaBakeWizard posted:

What are some good fantasy anime or manga that aren't isekai and don't do the thing where it takes place in video game logic/the character has a stat screen and class abilities like they're in a video game? Big fan of western fantasy books and very into anime and mangoes but I don't really think I've ever seen a classic fantasy setting played completely straight in anime outside of Berserk.
assuming you want some basic swords and sorcery stuff

rage of bahamut genesis
heroic legend of arslan
guin saga
the record of lodoss war
scrapped princess
legend of the legendary heroes (terrible name)

theres also fairy tail and black clover which are western fantasy based shonen (like what naruto or demon slayer is to japanese fantasy) though they're pretty by the numbers otherwise. still if you really love western fantasy stuff and enjoy basic shonen beats they're decent enough.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

What's the one set during the 100 Years War? Maria the Virgin Witch?
maria the virgin witch, yeah. if they're okay with historical-fantasy type stuff vinland saga is also a big recommend, but i assumed they wanted made-up settings.