Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arrath posted:

The joke is that that's a map of areas under various factions control in 1917/18 right?

Not exactly, for example region 5 has places that were parts of Finland until 1944. And we do not want them back, first of all out economy would implode and secondly we do not want 2 million Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I feel like offering 'go home' is a big mistake. I bet there's going to be a lot of people selecting that option. Also what's the average mobik think when they see doing an insurrection is a ticket home with no consequence?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I feel like offering 'go home' is a big mistake. I bet there's going to be a lot of people selecting that option. Also what's the average mobik think when they see doing an insurrection is a ticket home with no consequence?

They'll think "Ah poo poo there's a press gang waiting for me at the door"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

They'll think "Ah poo poo there's a press gang death squad waiting for me at the door"

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Death squad might want to go home too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, "please enlist in Moscow (come alone please), or go home so that you are easier to pick off one by one". Really, do they even expect this to work on career military and mercenaries, which are known for how ruthless they are?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is brilliant. The Russian security services aren't designed to win pitched battles against trained, armed forces, they're designed to disappear thousand of people very quickly by ambushing them where they feel safe or where routine causes them to lower their guard. Any suspect Wagnerite that signs with the MOD can be handled easily by simply ordering them to walk into a room, while those that get out can get scooped up in their homes at 0300 or stuffed into a van on the side of a street at any random time of day. This 'negotiated settlement's while damaging to Putin's image of strength, has moved the fight from a venue where the outcome might be in doubt to one where the outcome cannot be questioned.

We're not going to know the extent of the purges for a long time. We might not even know they're happening at all until well after the fact.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

This is brilliant. The Russian security services aren't designed to win pitched battles against trained, armed forces, they're designed to disappear thousand of people very quickly by ambushing them where they feel safe or where routine causes them to lower their guard. Any suspect Wagnerite that signs with the MOD can be handled easily by simply ordering them to walk into a room, while those that get out can get scooped up in their homes at 0300 or stuffed into a van on the side of a street at any random time of day. This 'negotiated settlement's while damaging to Putin's image of strength, has moved the fight from a venue where the outcome might be in doubt to one where the outcome cannot be questioned.

We're not going to know the extent of the purges for a long time. We might not even know they're happening at all until well after the fact.

We might also see some cool zone stuff happening when the commanderless Wagner troops and those who aligned with them refuse to disband and go to town on the Russian logistics chains to secure more weapons and ammo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cool zone? more like cringe zone!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

So is it a safe bet Wagner is totally out of Ukraine? Can’t imagine they’d be trusted anymore. Do their convict recruits go home, or folded into regular army?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wasn't one of the options available to piss off to Belarus? Why wouldn't any of them do that?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

So is it a safe bet Wagner is totally out of Ukraine? Can’t imagine they’d be trusted anymore. Do their convict recruits go home, or folded into regular army?

I think the propaganda is saying that most of them right now are "missing". Whatever that means. But yeah, Wagner is out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

B33rChiller posted:

Wasn't one of the options available to piss off to Belarus? Why wouldn't any of them do that?

Because Belarus is effectively just a Russian oblast and this may be a ploy to conveniently funnel Wagnerites into detention camps.

It's like saying, if you don't want to surrender to the US government, go to these camps conveniently provided by the governor of Ohio, and you'll be totally safe from the feds

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
What's the line on Lukashenko and big daddy Prigozhin teaming up to oust Putin?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wickerman posted:

What's the line on Lukashenko and big daddy Prigozhin teaming up to oust Putin?

LoL:LMAO

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Wagner almost rolling on Moscow still has me wildin, so I'm trying to dream up the craziest possible poo poo to keep it going in my mind.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wickerman posted:

Wagner almost rolling on Moscow still has me wildin, so I'm trying to dream up the craziest possible poo poo to keep it going in my mind.

Yeah there is no logic to this ride, nobody is at the wheel and it's on fire.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wickerman posted:

It’s wild to wonder how that would have gone, even if it were fewer than 10k guys the random crap the state was throwing on the roads did not hint at being prepared. If they got into Moscow probably not much between them and the Kremlin, then the state would have to worry about retaking their own seat of government where probably a whole lot of big names got captured & they would not want to airstrike their own buildings. Massive defections or at least “wait and see” would be happening.

I mean just spitballing here.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I know from a tour that the Russians have a lot of old trophies lying around, like piles and piles of cannons with French Imperial crowns on em.

Yes, my dream Comedy-Clancy option is Napoleonic field guns firing solid shot at PMC T-90s. :catdrugs:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Arrath posted:

Yes, my dream Comedy-Clancy option is Napoleonic field guns firing solid shot at PMC T-90s. :catdrugs:
I read a while back that Napoleonic field guns vs tanks almost happened in order to defend the Kremlin during the first month or so of WW2.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

steinrokkan posted:

Because Belarus is effectively just a Russian oblast and this may be a ploy to conveniently funnel Wagnerites into detention camps.

It's like saying, if you don't want to surrender to the US government, go to these camps conveniently provided by the governor of Ohio, and you'll be totally safe from the feds

C'mon man, why is Ohio catching strays on this?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Ohio always deserves it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Flikken posted:

Because it's Ohio?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Flikken posted:

If it didn't want to catch poo poo for being Ohio, it wouldn't be the way it is.

Source: I spent ten years living in various parts of it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kith posted:

If it didn't want to catch poo poo for being Ohio, it wouldn't be the way it is.

Source: I spent ten years living in various parts of it.

I spent 32 years living there and then the following 7 in PA, MO and MD. Ohio is superior.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Flikken posted:

I spent 32 years living there and then the following 7 in PA, MO and MD. Ohio is superior.

Alright, I'll call your bluff. What's superior about it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I read a while back that Napoleonic field guns vs tanks almost happened in order to defend the Kremlin during the first month or so of WW2.

Hah, no way

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kith posted:

Alright, I'll call your bluff. What's superior about it?

Vehicle registration, taxes and liquor laws. On all 3 except the liquor laws in Missouri.

Just off the top of my head. Cost of living too.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Why do you think so many astronauts came from Ohio? To get as far away as possible. Pennsylvania also sucks, but at least it doesn't have Cleveland

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hmm whats superior, piss or puke?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Why do you think so many astronauts came from Ohio? To get as far away as possible. Pennsylvania also sucks, but at least it doesn't have Cleveland

The Cuyahoga did nothing wrong

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Flikken posted:

Vehicle registration, taxes and liquor laws. On all 3 except the liquor laws in Missouri.

Just off the top of my head. Cost of living too.

The air is poison, brother. Within a week of moving to Colorado, I stopped having respiratory episodes. The only ones I've had since were when I went back to visit friends. Cost of living is rock bottom because everything and everyone is depressed as gently caress with the exception of college towns like Kent.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm from Ohio but have been gone for about 4 years now. I can only compare it to WNY, but if I graphed Ohio's quality it would be inversely proportional to the amount of brainworms

I have also recently heard it be called "the Florida of the north" and I can see it, to a degree

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Wright literally invented flight so they could flee Ohio faster, and get further in the meantime.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wickerman posted:

I have also recently heard it be called "the Florida of the north" and I can see it, to a degree

Born in Jacksonville and raised in Pensacola and Orlando, and I can confirm that poo poo for sure.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Wright brothers literally invented flight so they could flee Ohio faster, and get further in the meantime.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cincinnati is in northern Kentucky

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Putin orchestrated the whole thing and is setting up prig to be the hot new outsider candidate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flikken posted:

Mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1673092792740872192/

This should put an end to any Ohio defense