Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

OddObserver posted:

^^^
Well, Peskov did say “These statements, without exaggeration, will determine the fate of Russia" , so there was an extremely good chance it wasn't that important.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1673410073442283543

Looks like the "conductor" got played.

To everybody going “this wasn’t a coup, it was a mutiny, Prigozhin said so himself, why would you jump the gun and call it a coup”: this is why. Because, in practice, whatever he intended, he went too far to reasonably back out of it alive so his only real chance at survival (in my eyes) involved bumping off Putin & his friends and getting the hell out of dodge (eg by handing the reigns to somebody better placed to calm things down and trying to broker a deal with somebody in the FSB to protect him)

Any deal made with Putin once he started his march would get shreddered the second Putin was out of direct danger. I’m surprised it took less than 72 hours, but yeah that’s what bad faith actors and compulsive liars do I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Great way to guarantee that the next guy attempting a coup never turns back.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have to imagine that even if a deal involving letting Prig quietly go away was actually made with the intention of being honored, that all the media narrative about how Putin is a beta/sigma (which is “worse”? idk) male would have led to him changing his mind to prove he’s still top dog.

Putin can say literally anything and everything, the fact that Prigozhin is *apparently still alive is the only truth we can make any assessments on. This is another issue with building a political system entirely on deception, words become entirely useless, action is the only thing that anyone should bother paying attention to.

Assuming Prigozhin is still alive, he knows Putin will have to say all kinds of strong man words to keep up the facade. No doubt Prigozhin will never approach a window or drink tea again in his life. But there must be some sort of deal keeping him alive regardless of Putin's rhetoric. And whatever it is it represents a fundamental flaw in Putin's political power.

If the deal wasn't real Putin would have just killed him. There is literally no reason not to, it was out-and-out treason.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chalks posted:

I feel like Putin may be underestimating what Wagner could do if he moves against Prigozhin at this point. Obviously, nothing as bad as marching on Moscow, but I bet they could seriously gently caress some poo poo up in Russia.

Likely nothing would be as damaging as simply surrendering to Ukraine.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Putin can say literally anything and everything, the fact that Prigozhin is *apparently still alive is the only truth we can make any assessments on. This is another issue with building a political system entirely on deception, words become entirely useless, action is the only thing that anyone should bother paying attention to.

Assuming Prigozhin is still alive, he knows Putin will have to say all kinds of strong man words to keep up the facade. No doubt Prigozhin will never approach a window or drink tea again in his life. But there must be some sort of deal keeping him alive regardless of Putin's rhetoric. And whatever it is it represents a fundamental flaw in Putin's political power.

If the deal wasn't real Putin would have just killed him. There is literally no reason not to, it was out-and-out treason.

It still leaves a huge number of Wagner soldiers, Prigo supporters and Wagner affiliates into Russia, who by now know that they are getting the bullet one way or another. Not exactly a great outlook considering that they also are behind the frontlines inside Russia.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Honest question: how did Prigozhin not see this coming?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A negotiated peace with his mercenaries makes Putin look weak, so he will probably engage in a lot of gaslighting to confuse the issue. This is sort of like what would happen if Trump put Roger Stone in charge of a Blackwater and then narrowly avoided Blackwater burning down the White House.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

mutata posted:

It's technically possible Prigozhin took a ton of LSD and went to the bad place and when he finally came to he was 20 minutes outside of Moscow.

Fear and Loathing in Moscow?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dog Friday posted:

There was one pretty compelling theory on twitter posted earlier in the thread. Basically that he expected to have his troops stopped almost immediately, have a big show down then back down after getting some concessions about not dissolving Wagner. His friend Putin understands the value of his PMC and the elites around him were preventing him from getting his message through.

He never expected for the Russian military to be paper thin inside Russia, never expected to be marching unopposed towards Moscow and most of all, never expected to be called a traitor and condemned by Putin. Once that happened, he freaked out but what could he do?

If that was the case, it's no surprise that he immediately took the first off ramp he was offered, no matter how absurd or unrealistic.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Dog Friday posted:

I've been asking that myself this entire time, listened to subject experts, read, and have concluded that we may never know. At this point, I'd like to think it was also drugs? Lots and lots of drugs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hot Dog Hitler got hopped up on Panzerschokolade and drove all the way to Moscow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

He had nothing to lose and went all in. MoD was going to integrate Wagner into the army and, presumably, if they succeeded, they would have taken over Prigozhin's supply contracts as well, bleeding him further and probably putting into a danger zone after all poo poo he aired publicly.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, Prigo did stay behind in Rostov but he probably didn't expect to be just given the keys to the government buildings there either. While the population cheered.

Or his totally-not-nazi commander getting to Moscow within 36 hours just by driving down the highway.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Surely they'll give me what I want if I throw a big tantrum on social media."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before I start pulling my troops out of Ukraine."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before I start moving towards Rostov."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before I surround the Southern Military District HQ."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before I send another column towards Moscow."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before that column gets halfway to Moscow."

---> "Surely they'll give me what I want before that column gets 2/3rds of the way to Moscow."

"Surely they'll give me what I want before I enter Moscow proper."

Makes as much sense as anything else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dog Friday posted:

His only chance to succeed was that Putin would blink first and promise changes in MoD and that Wagner would not be dismantled. By Saturday evening things were about to turn worse but Putin hadn't yet given the answer he'd hoped for. At that point continuing would have required fighting through the first actual defense line and that would have been even harder to explain afterwards than shooting down some helicopters that you say fired first. It would have made it an open rebellion and himself a villain, meanwhile what could his forces have accoplished in Moscow? Occupied the MoD building? None of the outcomes looked good or compatible with his goals. By continuing he could only have created chaos that would have helped Russia lose the war, and he would have become the scapegoat for the loss. So he was offered a way out of the situation, and out of desperation he trusted this gentleman from Minsk that he heard had experience with brokering binding agreements between Putin and others.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Moktaro posted:

Fear and Loathing in Moscow?

We can't stop here, this is Batka country!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

By the way the whole "Prigozhin stopped after the FSB threatened his family" angle doesn't really work for me. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing and was planned beforehand. Weeks if not months. Did Prig and his lieutenants not think of this and not made arrangements for their families beforehand?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

By the way the whole "Prigozhin stopped after the FSB threatened his family" angle doesn't really work for me. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing and was planned beforehand. Weeks if not months. Did Prig and his lieutenants not think of this and not made arrangements for their families beforehand?

They might have thought that suitable amount of top-level FSB directors was bought off.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Randarkman posted:

Lukashenko is now harboring an enemy of the Russian state. How awkward.

So now Prigozhin and Wagner are in Belarus with Luka who helped to broker the deal with Putin. Now Putin has gone back on that deal which makes Luka look like he either schemed with Putin or he got double crossed as well in the eyes of Wagner. It'll be interesting to see the line Luka takes going forward, I assume he'll just stay by Putin's side but it'll be awkward with Wagner in his country.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

So now Prigozhin and Wagner are in Belarus with Luka who helped to broker the deal with Putin. Now Putin has gone back on that deal which makes Luka look like he either schemed with Putin or he got double crossed as well in the eyes of Wagner. It'll be interesting to see the line Luka takes going forward, I assume he'll just stay by Putin's side but it'll be awkward with Wagner in his country.

Do you think they got all the tanks and artillery and weapons with them to Belarus? A bunch of unarmed exiles are not quite the same threat as they were a moment ago, unless they join partisans in which case lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

spankmeister posted:

yeah similar to the 'prigozhin is suddenly at risk' stuff neglects that he's been in open turf war with shoigu and much of the mod for ages and that mod has been openly murderous with its intentions towards wagner going back half a decade. i don't buy for a second that there was some sudden new threat to prigozhin beyond what had mostly been a constant. dude has as many enemies as anyone on the planet.

there's a reason why you will never see him make appearances with less than a couple of dozen very heavily armed people milling around.

similarly the 'how did he not foresee it' has it backwards: what was entirely obvious as that mod was working to strip him of his mercenary outfit, which has been both his protection and his source of power. the potential outcome of a hostile takeover was effectively the same whether he let it happen or took a shot at making something happen, and the latter at least has a potential for a favorable outcome.

I also do not buy that this is over until prigozhin is actually dead and in the ground with a stake through his heart and wagner is actually dismantled and fully subsumed into mod. at the moment I'm unclear who exactly would be able to effect the dismantling.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been F5'ing since the weekend.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Name Change posted:

Likely nothing would be as damaging as simply surrendering to Ukraine.

That's definitely not accurate. If he were to decide to go scorched earth over being betrayed he could blow a significant portion of the Russian supply lines beyond quick repair.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Belarusian hajun, a reliable monitoring outlet of military activity, reported that no one saw or reported any Wagner mercs in Belarus

https://t.me/bbcrussian/48483

And at the same time Tsichanousksya is saying that Luka was not a mediator between Putin and Prigozhin, but a mailman

https://t.me/bbcrussian/48482

Tracks with the idea that Belarusian role in all of this is overstated and misleading

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

That's definitely not accurate. If he were to decide to go scorched earth over being betrayed he could blow a significant portion of the Russian supply lines beyond quick repair.

He should have captured the Kerch bridge and mined it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's the main small arm being used by each side? AK-74s? Are the Russians fielding meaningful numbers of AK-12s yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The thing is that even if Putin gets Priggy thrown out of a window that doesn't open now, it's still going to be abundantly clear that you might well be able to mount an armed insurrection against the Russian state, you just have to fully commit and be willing to take Moscow because otherwise Putin's gonna offer you a way out and then stab you with a blade of refined polonium.

Does Prigozhin have any obvious successors to leadership of Wagner? If so, and if they have ambitions, they could easily whip their guys up into a bigger frenzy than ever by saying "Prigozhin trusted Putin because he wanted to avoid spilling Russian blood, but he was betrayed. We need to drive on Moscow a second time, and we need to keep going this time, because we cannot live in safety while Putin holds power and because we must avenge our noble leader." It's probably the only route I can see that they could turn a crowd of mercenaries and ex-cons into a force that has an ideological goal rather than just a mercenary one.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Chalks posted:

I feel like Putin may be underestimating what Wagner could do if he moves against Prigozhin at this point. Obviously, nothing as bad as marching on Moscow, but I bet they could seriously gently caress some poo poo up in Russia.

I assume the answer is 'not much' but if it came to it how much ability does Wagner and Prigozhin have at this point to cause further ruckus for Putin? They've lost the element of surprise and momentum they had at the start of all this of course, but can we assume they've been essentially nullified by the state as a potential threat in the last couple of days?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I mean the people in Russia/Ukraine can at least be physically accounted for, but there has to be elements in Africa that sees their counterparts getting liquidated and thinking of going full independent warlord right?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

What's the main small arm being used by each side? AK-74s? Are the Russians fielding meaningful numbers of AK-12s yet?

Lots of 74s on both sides. Cheaper than water and just as common.

I've seen pictures of AK-12s more towards the beginning of the war, but I gather they were issued in blocs to units that got beat up pretty badly. Plenty of PKMs and RPKs, Dragunovs, etc.

The Ukrainians have received a lot of Canadian C7s and C8s from Canada herself and the Baltics. They also produce ARs themselves. I don't know if production is ongoing or not. The domestic 5.56 bullpup rifles are in use with border guards and internal troops as their issued weapon. FN FNCs have been issued out to foreign volunteers. The MG3, various flavors of FN Minimis, and M2 .50 (mostly vehicle mounted) are all used on the front line. Sniper rifles/DMRs are all over the place. I can't point at any specific system there, but they've been getting small batches of poo poo from everyone.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

khwarezm posted:

I assume the answer is 'not much' but if it came to it how much ability does Wagner and Prigozhin have at this point to cause further ruckus for Putin? They've lost the element of surprise and momentum they had at the start of all this of course, but can we assume they've been essentially nullified by the state as a potential threat in the last couple of days?

They still have their guns, vehicles and tanks. Unless the russian military organize a mass strike that takes them out at their camps, they are still dangerous.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I mean the people in Russia/Ukraine can at least be physically accounted for, but there has to be elements in Africa that sees their counterparts getting liquidated and thinking of going full independent warlord right?

Sure but that would be more an inconvenience for Russia than an existential threat. The calculus is thus easier on both sides, Wagner outside of Europe know they're not much threat to Russia, so they also know Russia probably won't bother to do anything to them.

But only time will tell what happens to Wagner in Europe, at least their unenviable position couldn't be better deserved for all they've inflicted upon Ukraine and other countries.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
This whole thing indeed shows that internally there's basically 0 protecting Moscow. So now where " we need force of a PMC to subdue moscow" I now wonder if it's implied that the situation has become more like "which oligarchy is going to bribe police force (as that's all there is in Moscow)!and take over"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I think that Prigozhin realized that he needs public support and, given the reaction's among the Rostov civilians and in the Voronezh recruiting offices, his easiest way is get that public support was to set himself up as a "benevolent dictator" alternative to Putin. That schtick was so Roman that it's up there with "Julius rejecting the crown three times before accepting Caesar" and you know the Russians eat that Roman narrative poo poo up. That way he doesn't need the element of surprise, he can make an appeal to the people and have them, defecting army units, and Wagner march together on Moscow.

The negotiations could probably be seen both Putin and Prigozhin putting a pause on things, save face, and give them time to build up a response. And the first one to break the deal would be the one to look untrustworthy to everyone.

Sethik
Oct 23, 2005
What defenses were between Wagner and Moscow when Prig pumped the breaks? I keep reading accounts of it being just a bunch of riot police vs serious MOD defense positions. Were there MOD troops in place in defensive positions on the path the Wagnerites were taking? If Prig didn't stop, would they have really rolled straight into the Kremlin with no organized armed resistance?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1673289746104082432

Shoigu proof of life video has blurred watches. :laffo:

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Sethik posted:

What defenses were between Wagner and Moscow when Prig pumped the breaks? I keep reading accounts of it being just a bunch of riot police vs serious MOD defense positions. Were there MOD troops in place in defensive positions on the path the Wagnerites were taking? If Prig didn't stop, would they have really rolled straight into the Kremlin with no organized armed resistance?

the Oka river on M4 with a longish bridge and a bunch of special forces on the Moscow side. Also the column was very spread over 100km so it would have taken them time to mount a crossing. Btw doesn't surprise me at all the units on the side let them pass, it's easier to deal with a spread out column if need be. Also to quote some TV station, did anybody see this column?

Brain65 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 27, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I guess Shoigu is staying if he gets invited to big boy meetings:
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1673425334669115394?cxt=HHwWhIC88bjembkuAAAA

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Don't want everyone to see the rolexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Medvedev is probably not important enough to attend.