Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well yeah, it's kinda belabouring the point now but that's literally the historical origin. And I think guav as usual summed it up more pithily than me.

I never knew this so every day is a school day etc.

Edit: Some snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

water / air / earth aren't so good at getting hairs off your ears

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd rather if they could Bend any of the other three elements, since humans aren't primarily composed out of Fire
They are if someone doesn't do the singeing properly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

Have you tried a Karcher power washer?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a tedious anecdote goes here but yes

it was a bosch one though

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Owlfancier, the Director of Income Generation for one of those charities you mentioned says thanks, that’s really helpful feedback. I knew the “so I don’t bother going in” aspect would get their attention. They asked if you go in looking for anything in particular - I mentioned the coats but they really meant is it business or casual wear you’re generally after?

If anyone else wants to tell me anything about charity shops so I appear to have prepped in some way for the charity retail conference that starts tomorrow, that’d be really helpful.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I like the saying that 'surgeons spend the first part of their career working to get the 'Dr' title, and the second part desperately trying to lose it'.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

I was maybe overzealous, given the fact barbers were doing surgery is in hindsight a bit ridiculous, but my only point is that there may well be barbers that can be surgeons.

Make this person prime minister.

There isn't that much separating a carpenter and an orthopedic surgeon.

Bish bash bosh jobs a good 'un. Sometimes your wall falls down and sometimes Nana can't quite walk straight anymore.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Owlfancier, the Director of Income Generation for one of those charities you mentioned says thanks, that’s really helpful feedback. I knew the “so I don’t bother going in” aspect would get their attention. They asked if you go in looking for anything in particular - I mentioned the coats but they really meant is it business or casual wear you’re generally after?

If anyone else wants to tell me anything about charity shops so I appear to have prepped in some way for the charity retail conference that starts tomorrow, that’d be really helpful.

I remember one charity shop I was in years and years ago had an arrangement with a local knitting club/circle where in winter they'd sell hats and scarves knitted by the club which seemed quite successful. Kind of depends on having a lot of hobbyist knitters about, of course.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

There isn't that much separating a carpenter and an orthopedic surgeon.

Bish bash bosh jobs a good 'un. Sometimes your wall falls down and sometimes Nana can't quite walk straight anymore.

The orthopod who operated on my arm after a multiple break was struck off for failing to beat the bottle a few months later, did a great job though, was just thinking I needed a new shed as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An orthopod sounds like it should be some kind of large woodlouse.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

Why does this thread keep coming back to my particular areas of interest? If it’s not charity shops, it’s woodlice. Does anyone want to talk about allotments too?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

The NHS staffing situation is getting desperate, wow.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

The orthopod who operated on my arm after a multiple break was struck off for failing to beat the bottle a few months later, did a great job though, was just thinking I needed a new shed as well.

I suspect a good carpenter earns a comparable amount to a typical NHS orthopod who doesn't do private practice.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that kind of is the point.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
unionise all isopoda imo

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

BOE Set to Tip UK Into Recession by Year End, Economists Say

quote:

The Bank of England will push the UK into recession by the end of the year in its battle to curb the worst inflation of any Group of Seven economy, according to Bloomberg Economics.

In an analysis published Tuesday, economists Dan Hanson and Ana Andrade say a shallow if protracted downturn is the price of taming an inflation rate that remains stubbornly close to double digits — despite 13 straight interest-rate increases since the end of 2021.

They now expect a yearlong recession starting in the fourth quarter to cost just over 1% of economic output. That assumes the BOE raises rates to a peak of 5.75% by November from the current 5%. However, money markets are almost fully pricing in 6.25% by December, raising the possibility of a far worse slump.

“The risk is the data continue to prove unresponsive to the BOE’s actions and interest rates rise further than our baseline,” Hanson and Andrade wrote. “As borrowing costs move above 5%, we think the risk of a financial stability shock increases exponentially.”

The analysis means Prime Minister Rishi Sunak could be fighting the next election against a backdrop of shrinking output, rising unemployment and mounting home repossessions as mortgages costs continue to climb. The average 2-year home loan is now around 6.25%, approaching the levels seen during the market turmoil that brought down his predecessor, Liz Truss, last autumn.

While Sunak doesn’t have to call an until January 2025, he is widely expected to go to the polls next year. Surveys show his Conservative Party consistently trailing the Labour opposition by more than 10 percentage points. 

Causing the economy to shrink would also heap criticism on the BOE, not least from Conservative lawmakers at risk of losing their seats. The BOE now faces the very real possibility of having to reinstate its recession call at its next forecasting round in August, just three months after delivering the biggest upgrade to its projections since gaining independence in 1997.

Hanson and Andrade expect the economy to grow just 0.1% this year and shrink 1% in 2024, a sharp revision from the 0.3% growth previously estimated.

Even then, with wage growth refusing to subside and cheaper energy set to boost household incomes, inflation will end this year just above 5% — more than double the 2% target and down only modestly from the current 8.7%. In an illustration of the strength of underlying cost pressures, core inflation — which hit a 31-year high of 7.1% in May — is only likely to move below 6% in early 2024. 

“The recent strength of the inflation and wage data has left the BOE with little choice but to squeeze the economy even harder,” Hanson and Andrade write. The BOE will start cutting rates in the second quarter of next year but proceed cautiously, given that inflation will still be above target. 

“The big risk to our forecast is that the BOE tightens by more than we have assume,” they said. “In a world where it followed market expectations, which is about 100 bps higher on average over the next three years compared to our forecast, we would expect the economy to be about 1% smaller by 4Q25 with a deeper recession.

“What that estimate could easily miss is the possibility that the lags from past tightening are longer than we have assumed or that high rates create financial instability. Should either of those scenarios play out, the recession would be significantly deeper.”

hooray, just in time for winter when energy bills are also through the roof :stonks:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Really? Good god surely they must get it from customers.

I would generally buy my workwear new because I'm going to wear it to tatters anyway and I want something that's fairly specific and that I know I can comfortably wear all day every day. But I enjoy charity shopping just so I get like, you know, stuff that's a bit different. I got a nice fake vest/shirt combo (wool vest with shirt sleeves attached) from a charity shop once that I wore a lot cos it looked smart, nice shirts/tops are welcome, trousers are harder to find ones that really suit because I have weird legs and I often find they're in a bit worse condition.

Mostly the motivation is that a lot of the new clothes shops are very... trendy I guess? Like you get stuff that just looks like everything else and you pay a lot for it, so I am mostly drawn to charity shops because they have interesting clothes in them, stuff that's a bit different to the high street shops and it's nice to just have a look around. Also a lot of the charity stuff can be really good quality so it actually lasts unlike random stuff off the internet.

I suppose more casual than business but then my idea of "casual" is probably more like "business" in that I don't wear shirts to work but I do occasionally for fun. Something different and comfortable are the main things. I find when I look in the men's section it's usually just some dull trousers and some old dull shirts nowadays. It really is finding something stand-out that makes it desirable.

Honestly I figured they were just very picked over? Or getting fewer donations compared to people buying them now.

Reveilled posted:

I remember one charity shop I was in years and years ago had an arrangement with a local knitting club/circle where in winter they'd sell hats and scarves knitted by the club which seemed quite successful. Kind of depends on having a lot of hobbyist knitters about, of course.

My grandmother used to do baby clothes knitted and they could fetch an absolute fortune if she wanted them to. But hell yeah proper knitted hats are a real treat, I have a couple my grandmother made me before she died and they're so good to wear.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 27, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only thing that puts me off going into most charity shops around here is they're really badly lit. They feel dim and crowded and I don't see well, and I'm kinda round, so I just feel that I'm in the way the whole time I'm in there and it makes me nervous to pause and look at stuff. I don't know that there's much to be done about it though - obviously they have a limited choice of locations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

But they did put out some absolute bangers in the 70s/80s.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am mostly drawn to charity shops because they have interesting clothes in them, stuff that's a bit different to the high street shops and it's nice to just have a look around.

Definitely this. The potential for weird items is the reason I go to charity shops. My favourite ever such purchase is a black and white tunic dress with appliqued fried eggs and cactuses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1673683522224021506?s=20

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

killerwhat posted:

Definitely this. The potential for weird items is the reason I go to charity shops. My favourite ever such purchase is a black and white tunic dress with appliqued fried eggs and cactuses.

I would like to see it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/FisherAndrew79/status/1673614112167718912

:toot:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Sunak isn't going to do anything about inflation because he wants to get a well-paid job when he inevitably quits a year after the next General Election.
Normally, that wouldn't be a problem for an ex-Prime Minister and Chancellor, but then normally ex-Prime Ministers and Chancellors aren't as spectacularly useless as Sunak.

So he's greasing the wheels and loosening his jaw for the work ahead.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I suspect a good carpenter earns a comparable amount to a typical NHS orthopod who doesn't do private practice.

In London a decent wage for a skilled tradesman is about £150 a day so not sure that's the case. Might get more interesting if you start looking at hours worked though. Also my only source for this is my mate who builds extensions.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Means-testing school lunches and charging for school lunches may be more expensive than just giving the lunches away, but that's not what it's about. In the US at least, most children eligible for free lunches don't get them, because the bureaucratic hurdles are a lot. It is also humiliating for the students getting them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is incredible when labour can't bring themselves to run on the "no children should go hungry" platform for fucks sake.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

Really? Good god surely they must get it from customers.

I would generally buy my workwear new because I'm going to wear it to tatters anyway and I want something that's fairly specific and that I know I can comfortably wear all day every day. But I enjoy charity shopping just so I get like, you know, stuff that's a bit different. I got a nice fake vest/shirt combo (wool vest with shirt sleeves attached) from a charity shop once that I wore a lot cos it looked smart, nice shirts/tops are welcome, trousers are harder to find ones that really suit because I have weird legs and I often find they're in a bit worse condition.

Mostly the motivation is that a lot of the new clothes shops are very... trendy I guess? Like you get stuff that just looks like everything else and you pay a lot for it, so I am mostly drawn to charity shops because they have interesting clothes in them, stuff that's a bit different to the high street shops and it's nice to just have a look around. Also a lot of the charity stuff can be really good quality so it actually lasts unlike random stuff off the internet.

I suppose more casual than business but then my idea of "casual" is probably more like "business" in that I don't wear shirts to work but I do occasionally for fun. Something different and comfortable are the main things. I find when I look in the men's section it's usually just some dull trousers and some old dull shirts nowadays. It really is finding something stand-out that makes it desirable.

Honestly I figured they were just very picked over? Or getting fewer donations compared to people buying them now.

My grandmother used to do baby clothes knitted and they could fetch an absolute fortune if she wanted them to. But hell yeah proper knitted hats are a real treat, I have a couple my grandmother made me before she died and they're so good to wear.

Good god man you are literally the model charity shop shopper I have used to demonstrate various points in some materials I’ve prepared. Can I stand you on a plinth and point at you with a stick while I talk? This weird-legged man is why “fast fashion” will never replace the charity shop. Behold!

All the reasons people have said about not finding much blokes stuff in charity shops is spot on - we wear it to poo poo, if we find ten old t shirts in a drawer they tend to go back in rotation rather than to a charity shop, and of course they just make a shitload more money off ladies clothes, by miles and miles, so it’s better for them to concentrate their efforts there. One thing no one has mentioned is the massive, massive lag effect covid has had. Your average ladies wardrobe has generally recovered from the “covid clear out” everyone had but your average man will quite possibly simply never own as many clothes ever again as they did pre-pandemic. I got rid of jumpers and stuff I’d had for twenty years - it’ll be a long time before I have such quantities to donate again, whereas my wife had me take two full bin bags of her clothes just last week. The final thing is, of course, working from home. I used to donate a couple of suits, pair of shoes, half a dozen shirts maybe once every couple of years pre-pandemic. Now not only am I still on the same suit, I don’t think I’ve had it dry-cleaned in three years. It’ll last me basically forever.

Fun(?) fact! A medium sized charity with 20-ish shops has a section in every shop given over to men’s clothes, including a tie rack. Following some recent deep dive analysis, they’ve discovered across all shops, in the last twelve months, they’ve sold seventeen ties. Just not worth it, see.

Edit: please forgive my massive generalisations with regard to the habits of men vs women. You know what I mean.

HopperUK posted:

The only thing that puts me off going into most charity shops around here is they're really badly lit. They feel dim and crowded and I don't see well, and I'm kinda round, so I just feel that I'm in the way the whole time I'm in there and it makes me nervous to pause and look at stuff. I don't know that there's much to be done about it though - obviously they have a limited choice of locations.

This is starting to feel like a wind up now. Don’t make me send you a .ppt of pros/cons of boutique charity vs traditional jumble sale style!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

It really is incredible when labour can't bring themselves to run on the "no children should go hungry" platform for fucks sake.
Can you pay for lunches with your Skills Wallet?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I must be a bloke because I wear clothes "to destruction". Once I've decided they're only fit for the rag bag they get 10 more wears to write down the value before they go in the charity shop rag bag. (Charity shops do take rags as they can get money for them. I label the bag as rags so they don't have to investigate!)
Yeah I'm a saddo who has a spreadsheet to do depreciation on purchases.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My wife and her lady mates have Swapsies events where they all get pissed on prosecco and exchange rails of clothes with each other. Anything left over usually goes to the charity shops. I keep thinking there should be some way of integrating this with the charity shops in a bit more of a formalised way.

Dublin City Council, in a rare progressive stroke, have started providing kits to help people do their own Swapsies events - don't think they supply the prosecco but I believe they loan out clothes rails and stuff

And yeah, there's never gently caress all for any of the man mates there, except a couple of times where I've accidentally shrunk some of my Tall Man clothes and they get given away to one of the smaller lads or someone with kids

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But I thought he was the pro-freedom MP :ironicat:
https://twitter.com/NadiaWhittomeMP/status/1673690577072799746

get hosed you mendacious potato thief

OwlFancier posted:

Not just the "no children should go hungry" platform, that sounds like a moral social justice statement, not one for Sir Focus Group, the "no children should go hungry, and this is provably cheaper than means testing, and the fiscal multipliers are provable, and the externalities of healthier kids are provable, and everyone from Taylorist technocrats to Strasserist string-em-up types actually likes it" platform. Who the gently caress is on these panels?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like ties are ideally suited for online or like, stick them one one of those tv aerial hangers on the end of a rail, given that categorizing them for online probably uses up too much labour. Maybe do a grab bag to clear the stock out.

A fun tie can be nice but I admit I haven't bought one in a decade because I got some nice ones and they don't wear out so... why would I need new ones for how often I wear them?

I feel like a lot of the difference between men and women must be marketing, there's an entire loving industry flogging new clothes to women and encouraging people to change them when they don't really need to. But men's fashion is kind of dire anyway so even if we did get the same volume of marketing what are they even going to sell you? How many t shirts, shirts, and trousers can one person own?

I don't really know that charity shops can do anything to fix it cos it's the same thing everywhere, most clothes, I think, and doubly so most men's clothes, are just pretty boring. And absent anything to construct hype the way women's seasonal fashions do, what's your motivation to buy more of them?

It's not really a bad thing I guess because it's nice not needing to buy clothes, but it would be nice to have a little bit of variety in expression. I'm finding the only things I would be possibly interested in buying would be like, historical or foreign dress.

Like, could we get this guy's drip:

Yes I will go around with a falcon, ammunition, and a big knife as a fashion statement.

It's so depressing when you look at history and they had so much cool fashion around and now it's just "t shirt, trouser" and that's it.

Bring back big poofy henry the eighth sleeves, ruffled shirts, big stupid hats with feathers in, capes.

I wish I had a big book just full cover to cover of all those old illustrations of historical national dress. So many cool looking people in those.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 27, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like a lot of the difference between men and women must be marketing, there's an entire loving industry flogging new clothes to women and encouraging people to change them when they don't really need to. But men's fashion is kind of dire anyway so even if we did get the same volume of marketing what are they even going to sell you? How many t shirts, shirts, and trousers can one person own?
I assume that's the function of the extremely niche t-shirt model.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I will go around with a falcon, ammunition, and a big knife as a fashion statement.
I mean it isn't an unorthodox look :dadjoke:

OwlFancier posted:

It's so depressing when you look at history and they had so much cool fashion around and now it's just "t shirt, trouser" and that's it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
women's clothing is much loving better in almost every way but the sizing is a complete loving mystery to me

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/

We have an imposter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I mean it isn't an unorthodox look :dadjoke:

Not using the Thus of Ould cartoon?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's worse is that since then we've dropped the vest, the coat, the hat, and none of it fits because nobody can afford a tailor. And it's the kind of clothing that has to fit or it looks bad and is uncomfortable, so you could even make the argument that everyone dressing in draped bits of cloth is better cos at least that's loving comfortable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I play the female option in video games 90% of the time because they always have the much better wardrobe options (just like real life), and playing dress up is the secret endgame of every video game that has a wardrobe option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It would be an interesting proposition to be a Germanic mercenary pikeman travelling to Ukraine so you can justify dressing like this.