Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’ll cop to not reading most of the post but “yeah some of torment’s side quests are trite but if you get bored of it you can beat up some mobs in combat that’s worse than baldur’s gate 1 to feel like you accomplished something” :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

H13 posted:

When he found out he had done something shite, he was either a mewling apologist, glib rear end in a top hat or unrepentant dick. Surely there's a middle-ground between those three somewhere?
lmao I know what copotype you're getting, buddy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I honestly never noticed it taking a long time to get on or off my horse in RDR2 so that whole post sounds clinically insane to me.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

zhuge liang posted:

sid meier and american mcgee feeling pretty vindicated right now

Sid Meier designed exactly 1 Civ game and I still see people discuss any of them in terms of his supposed design decisions

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Sid Meier designed exactly 1 Civ game and I still see people discuss any of them in terms of his supposed design decisions

ACHSHCHUALLY he also designed Civ Rev. (It's really good, I still love it.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I genuinely don't understand how you can hold up Torment as great but find Disco Elysium to be tedious and overwrought unless you think a good story must include "genocide, betrayal, heartbreak, insanity, being legitimately loving hideously evil etc."

But Disco includes all of that. The game isn't respecting one's time? What does that even mean?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I honestly never noticed it taking a long time to get on or off my horse in RDR2 so that whole post sounds clinically insane to me.

I mean I have never played rdr2 but I have definitely heard people complain about the lovingly crafted yet unskippable animations for skinning a puma or taking a poo poo or whatever

but the difference here is that those animations are (I presume) the same every time, whereas new passages of writing are always new writing. now maybe someone doesn't like the writing (and is therefore a philistine) but it's not repeated. unless the issue is that they let repeated dialogue play in full every time rather than skipping it, maybe

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

This example works perfectly for me. That stuff and RD2's general pacing and material constantly was at odds with what I expected and wanted, so I soured on it and fell off the game, while Disco was instantly captivating even when the beginning was alienating and slow. If it works for you, it works for you.

I think you need to embrace Disco's writing style to get the right experience. If that guy has gotten through that much of the game without enjoying it, then that's a major problem that won't turn itself around.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Since this thread has been far more active than I expected, I'm not sure if everyone had already seen this video from a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnlcSXqquFg

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

World War Mammories posted:

I mean I have never played rdr2 but I have definitely heard people complain about the lovingly crafted yet unskippable animations for skinning a puma or taking a poo poo or whatever

but the difference here is that those animations are (I presume) the same every time, whereas new passages of writing are always new writing. now maybe someone doesn't like the writing (and is therefore a philistine) but it's not repeated. unless the issue is that they let repeated dialogue play in full every time rather than skipping it, maybe

Ok yeah the skinning animations I do agree with for sure

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Harry isnt all that brilliant, if you read how he cracked all the cases he did in his ledger, well if he is the worlds greatest cop then that's a really low bar.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
TBF I don't think the ledger has all the cases you've ever done. They're probably more recent ones and probably look at a bit different than Harry's work before he started falling apart

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nah I get it, Day One of Disco Elysium feels really frustrating because mostly all you get done is see the game very slowly start to draw back the curtain on what the world is and what kind of game you are playing, meanwhile you have about enough time to run into a few roadblocks on your map exploration and if you do manage to get past them then you have a chat with a Union boss which doesn't seem to actually help you with the murder any.

In hindsight it's fine and when you realise there's no time pressure then on subsequent playthroughs you can run off and enjoy the little rabbit hole interactions that don't seem to have anything to do with the murder at all, but on a first playthrough I can see how it's both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The fact that you feel 'just get on with it' re. DE and not Planescape is... Astounding to me, since THAT was the major reason I stopped playing the latter. Any chance there was of an interesting lore exploration was punctuated with some of the most tedious, unnecessary and unintuitive combat mechanics I had ever had the misfortune to encounter in a game.

I'm sure the story/characters was/were compelling. But the gameplay prevented me from enjoying any of that. Just like with Spiritfarer.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'd say at this point it's pretty clear that DE isn't for them, which is fine, no game is going to going to be universally loved by all, but I guess my response to the criticism would be that the slower pace is merely the expression of different genre conventions. Most RPGs (and games in general) tend to be grand sweeping fantasy epics where your actions are deciding the fate of the world, or at least thousands of lives. By extension this means all your actions are commensuratly grand; most RPGs will have an opening side quest in the first few hours where you decide the fate of a village with hundreds of people in it.

In contrast DE is a (somewhat) grounded work of detective fiction, which by extension brings a completely different set of conventions and scales. It's rare for a work to have a body count that goes out of the low single digits, and often the single death will have occurred before the start of the work; the stakes will be bringing a single individual to justice. This means that what is considered a significant action in the story is going to be a lot more understated, investigating the body of the victim or interviewing a key suspect for example. If you approach that first day through the lens of detective fiction then you pretty clearly hit some major beats, whereas on the flipside if you measure what you did on the terms of a fantasy epic then they're going to seem fairly paltry.

On a shorter point I'll add that if you're rushing through the writing to get to more content then you're definitely not going to enjoy the game; the writing is the content.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

H13 posted:

Torment felt like it was going somewhere and doing something

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
His name is Chris Avellone and he's spent the past twenty something years trying to pull that same trick again to varying degrees of success

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will say that DE is a pretty small stakes game. Yeah the main character is not gonna change the fate of universes (or is he?), the game is a lot about the shifts in his relationship with Kim, for instance. If that isn't enough for you, too bad.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
There is a lot of grappling with tough issues, though, especially in the second half of the game. The whole spectre of communism thing permeates a lot of the interactions and exploration. Like, the murder mystery is a framing device for exploring the themes presented in conversations and exploration, and I think that first day slog is supposed to be a bit of a rug pull cause once you talk to the Hardies and Klaasje it becomes apparent so much more is going on, even if you're focusing only on the mystery angle.

Like, the game has depictions of genocide and horrors of war in it. That content is certainly there. It's just not immediate. And if you want a talking skull there is a certain tie...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, we don't really need to poo poo on Torment to say DE is good. They're both good games. And you're allowed to not like either of them, but our dude perhaps needs to work on separating their emotional reaction from, like, what something actually does.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The current any% speedrun record is 26m 04s for Disco Elysium and 20m 38s for Planescape: Torment.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

shame there's no fan% speedrun joke category

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dervival posted:

shame there's no fan% speedrun joke category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuOu8OWAEA

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

GlyphGryph posted:

I've talked to people who spent hours playing, say, Outer Wilds, and had the same problem "I've been playing for hours and haven't ACCOMPLISHED anything!" and I've been equally perplexed there.

Don’t know how anyone could play Outer Wilds for hours and feel they haven’t accomplished anything. Landing on another planet successfully is a pretty big accomplishment imo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I've talked to people who spent hours playing, say, Outer Wilds, and had the same problem "I've been playing for hours and haven't ACCOMPLISHED anything!" and I've been equally perplexed there.

"Her Story is not a game! What do you actually accomplish in it?!"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

theCalamity posted:

Don’t know how anyone could play Outer Wilds for hours and feel they haven’t accomplished anything. Landing on another planet successfully is a pretty big accomplishment imo

I think that game just breaks people's brains. The responsibility of learning stuff and trying new stuff is not what a good amount of people look for in games, or at least it's unfamiliar and unexpected. But that's exactly when games get really good, to me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

theCalamity posted:

Yeah the whole early game seems like a relentless stream of accomplishing stuff, so like I said I don't get it. But it is far and away the leading criticism I've seen of the game from people who bounced off it.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Feeling accomplished from your actions in a video game is going to be a matter of perspective, I suppose. Within the first few hours of Disco Elysium I got a lady to bring her kid indoors out of the cold and was given a hat, it felt like a big deal for my character who had been such an unmitigated disaster up to that point. If my expectations for what HBD could or should be accomplishing were much higher, that would have felt different.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think my biggest emotional triumph was not loving up the conversation with the working class woman.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MassTran posted:

What sold me on Disco Elysium was when I got owned by Cuno so hard I lost the game

I want to have gently caress with you is when the game had me.

Trying and failing to give Garte the double bird is when I knew the game had me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

H13 posted:

Brevity is the soul of wit and loving hell this game has none.

How many points did you have in Encyclopedia?

Edit: to not make this pithy I deffo understand not getting along with the game, not everything is for everyone. Encyclopedia in particular is sort of a trap skill in that it will happily blather forever about boxers and bands but never actually impart anything useful.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 27, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

I want to have gently caress with you is when the game had me.

Trying and failing to give Garte the double bird is when I knew the game had me.

Succeeding in giving Garte the double bird and realising that was actually worse and much less fun than failing was when it had me.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

How many points did you have in Encyclopedia?

Edit: to not make this pithy I deffo understand not getting along with the game, not everything is for everyone. Encyclopedia in particular is sort of a trap skill in that it will happily blather forever about boxers and bands but never actually impart anything useful.

Encyclopedia is the money and exp skill (with the right Thought), it makes you better at everything else. Wouldn't necessarily call it a trap.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It was probably bad design to have it be the signature skill of what's basically the default class (first on the left of premade characters)

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

What kind of sick gently caress doesn't worship Measurehead?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah skill breakdowns are also going to impact how the game plays out a lot. Like, you want some fantastical poo poo? Put points into Inland Empire and Shivers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Encyclopedia is the money and exp skill (with the right Thought), it makes you better at everything else. Wouldn't necessarily call it a trap.

A trap in terms of getting loads of huge mostly irrelevant lore dumps on your first play through, not in terms of mechanical power. Disco isn’t really about the latter anyway, and the former can be off putting for a new player who’s not yet invested in the setting

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

A trap in terms of getting loads of huge mostly irrelevant lore dumps on your first play through, not in terms of mechanical power. Disco isn’t really about the latter anyway, and the former can be off putting for a new player who’s not yet invested in the setting

How much encyclopedia due you need for the Litany of Contact Mike? You should have at least that much.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

christmas boots posted:

I think my biggest emotional triumph was not loving up the conversation with the working class woman.

I was the ultimate empathetic cop and this was the one check I rolled snake eyes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Party Boat posted:

I was the ultimate empathetic cop and this was the one check I rolled snake eyes on

You should be more like Contact Mike