Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I think we may have discussed this here before and I forgot. Oh well.

Yep.

AncientSpark posted:

So Japan abolished their statute of limitations for murder (or basically any crime that is subject to death penalty) in 2010. Previously, it was 25 years, but that was a raise that occurred in 2004, whereas the statute of limitations was indeed 15 years back in 2001 (back when PW was originally released).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 107: Episode 4, Day 3, Investigation: Raising the Stakes

Now, we got this incriminating letter describing the entire murder plot last time. Pretty obvious where we should take it.

To show Larry, of course!

Yeah... I know.

Well, no time to waste! Let's get going!

Music: Investigation - Core

Okay, so Larry disappears after we find the letter, but we get to talk to Maya instead!

quote:

It's actually possible to go get the letter before talking to Larry, in which case he'll still be here until we get all the information about the class trial, and only be replaced by Maya on our next visit afterwards. He still doesn't have any reaction to the letter, though!

However...

Stop showing me stuff and let's get cracking!
Sound: Whack

Maya's too impatient to look at any of our evidence.

We have the usual topics to explore with her, though!

What do you think we should do now, Maya?

You would know best, Nick!

...Thanks.

Well? Had any good ideas?

This is all tied to the DL-6 Incident...

(Something that happened back then has a hold on Edgeworth and it won't let go.)

Okay, fine, let's show Edgeworth the letter.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

I have a good feeling about this one.

Edgeworth... See this letter?

Hmm?

I see...

...!

Music: Silence

Sound: Realization

Music: Suspense

Who is that old guy, anyway!?

I... I don't know.

Could he be an innocent defendant you got declared guilty or something?

...Or something.

So, he was following this letter, then?

Which means there was someone else behind it!

Sound: Shock 2

It also says: "This is your last chance!"

Last chance...? Wait, maybe...

Wait...

Wait, that old man...!

Sound: Light Bulb

Yogi... Could he be Yogi!?

Yogi?

We have to leave the evidence screen and go back to talking to continue. Edgeworth has been suppressing the DL-6 Incident his entire life, will we finally get to hear more about it from him?

Yanni Yogi was a court bailiff at the time.

Sound: Roar

We're treated to a lovely flashback of the courtroom shaking for several seconds.

Music: Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident

We were there for so long, it felt like forever.

We became... unsettled.

Sound: Guilty

The speakers are implied here, so I'll make it explicit:

"I want to get out! Help! Get us out!"

"Don't shout! You'll just use up more oxygen!"

"...!"

That's all I remember...

They claimed the oxygen deprivation and stress had caused temporary insanity.

Yeah, but that trial result doesn't really explain why the police would be ashamed about using a psychic who found the wrong person. Maya's mother found the right person, but they just weren't legally responsible. At least according to the official record...

Huh... But, isn't that strange?

Why would he want to take revenge on you?

Wright.

Yeah?

I... didn't know whether or not I should tell you.

You mean the nightmare?

A memory of a crime... that I committed.

A crime you committed?

I think...

Well get on with it, already!

I wake up in a fearful sweat, every time.

What kind of dream?

Music: Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident

"Quiet! I said quiet! You're not making this any easier!"

"I want to get out! Help! Get us out!"

"Don't shout! You'll just use up more oxygen!"

We fade away to return to the same scene, apparently some time later?

"Wh-what!?"

"Stop breathing my air! I'll... I'll stop you!"

"Stop breathing my aaaaair!"

(He's attacking Father!)

I don't know if it was evidence from that day in court, or the bailiff's...

In a daze, I pick up the pistol...

Oh that poor child threw it. When I first recorded this scene, I thought he just missed in the dark or something. But it must have hit something and discharged? Or...did Yanni Yogi catch it and fire it?

Sound: Weak Gunshot

Sound: Stab 2

It's a bone-chilling scream.

B-but...

And that's why we repress memories.

But what if I'm wrong?

What if it's real?

Maybe it was I who killed my father!

What!?

"Get your revenge on Miles Edgeworth."

Think about it. Yogi was really innocent.

Yeah but he didn't actually get convicted of it?

Wait, Edgeworth! You... you mean...!

It was me.

Maybe. I know that two minutes ago that was my theory too, but... It didn't look like he was pulling the trigger there. More importantly, is our defense tomorrow going to require Edgeworth confessing to the DL-6 Incident, right before the statute of limitations is up? Is that our killer's true reason for the timing of the Christmas Eve killing?

This is bad...

I don't know...

I don't think there is anything we can do. Like it or not.

If there's someone else who knows a lot about the DL-6 Incident, maybe...

...!

There is, Nick!

That's right.

It's time to go confront Grossberg.

Music: Marvin Grossberg ~ Old Age, Regret, Retribution

Ah, hello there. What's wrong? You look troubled.

Sound: Damage 2

M-my my my...
Sound: Stab

It's M-Mr. Edgeworth! He... He... *sob*

I see...

This conversation is less confrontational than I was expecting.

It's o-only a dream! Only a dream!

I wonder...

W-what...?

W-well...

Also, consider this.

So deep, he'd want to frame him for murder.

This leads me to surmise...

As you imagined.

Sound: Wipe

the pistol fired... and the deed was done.
Sound: Weak Gunshot

N... No!

I don't believe it!

There's Yogi's motive, spelled out more clearly. And he must have blamed his defense attorney for how it all played out, too. But Grossberg isn't reacting how I expected here. Have I read this all wrong?

Thus, he sought revenge on Miles Edgeworth.

Intro over, let's show him our stuff.

Er... quite sorry.

Almost the same generic "don't care" reaction as before.

You bet it's good!

(I can't believe the fiendish planning that went into this murder...)

(And we almost fell right into his trap!)

What a creep!

Ah, she was a beautiful woman...

Huh?

Sorry about what?

(I think I'll stay out of this one...)

This incident took place 15 years ago tomorrow.

All thanks to the statute of limitations.

However...

Gregory Edgeworth...?

He was a gifted man. His death was truly a loss.

I should probably wait and talk to Grossberg first, but let's just jump straight to the point here.

Oh ho! So this is the letter?

when he killed Hammond.

But, why kill Robert Hammond?

Hammond was a skilled defense attorney.

Huh? His own sake?

The only thing he trusted was his own ability.

Actually, my dear, it's quite different.

He won that innocent verdict for no one but himself.

(Huh...?)

You'll understand soon enough.

Wait!

What is it?

This letter...

This case just has me chasing my tail. I was convinced Grossberg had sent the letter ten minutes ago. Hell I'm still not sure he's not just playing us.

Whose handwriting was this...?

:aaa: :psyduck: How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.

Can't spell 'persecuting' without 'prosecuting'! :v:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

And thus the final boss is revealed. Time to show Von Karma whose boss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh... You think this is the wackiest this series gets. Oh you sweet summer child.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DKII posted:

How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.
I love this case. :allears: Quite possibly my favorite in the series. And it's not even over yet!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Karma is the killer! Whoa! Should we break the glass before we jump out the window or prioritize speed?

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

quote:

How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.

What's so funny about this is that Von Karma's shenanigans are so completely in-character for this game that the player often doesn't think "Maybe he's trying to hurry up the case to get out of suspicion".

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

DKII posted:

:aaa: :psyduck: How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.
God I love people's reactions to playing these games for the first time :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DKII posted:

:aaa: :psyduck: How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us?

Not just that, you also have to find and consecrate his casket or he'll escape as a mist and reform the following night.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Not just that, you also have to find and consecrate his casket or he'll escape as a mist and reform the following night.

The title of the update is a minor pun related to that...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One thing that bothers me: shouldn't Edgeworth recognize his mentor's handwriting?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Massive denial?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

OddObserver posted:

One thing that bothers me: shouldn't Edgeworth recognize his mentor's handwriting?

You really think von Karma wouldn't just orate everything he wanted written down while someone else wrote/typed it? Edgeworth probably hasn't seen von Karma's handwriting in years.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

You really think von Karma wouldn't just orate everything he wanted written down while someone else wrote/typed it? Edgeworth probably hasn't seen von Karma's handwriting in years.

Honestly surprising Edgeworth doesn't have an eidetic memory, what kind of prodigy is he

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

the holy poopacy posted:

When is the first game taking place? Julius Belmont still stuck without memories?

DKII posted:

Welcome to Ace Attorney. There's a reason all prosecutors are measured against ol' Manfred here and final cases against this one.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is Yogi's name a pun on anything?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Omobono posted:

When is the first game taking place? Julius Belmont still stuck without memories?

First game takes place in 2015, so yeah, J is still a wandering vagrant who has no idea who he is (but also an inexplicable phobia against the name "Dracula").

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
This is a moment I've been waiting for you to get to. The game is so good at characterizing von Karma that you never think anything funny about his control of the trial.

Then you get to this point, and all expectation is shattered. Freaking beautiful.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

dotchan posted:

First game takes place in 2015, so yeah, J is still a wandering vagrant who has no idea who he is (but also an inexplicable phobia against the name "Dracula").

Something sounded off here, so I double-checked the timeline. The First Turnabout occurs on August 3, 2016.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is Yogi's name a pun on anything?

Dunno if Yanni comes from anything, and afaik a Yogi is either a practicioner of yoga or a bear who frazzles park rangers and steals pic-a-nic baskets. Maybe because he appears to occupy another level of consciousness divorced from earthly concerns, or is smarter than the average bear (Lotta) who does get caught by the park ranger?

yeah I got nothing good

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

He also seems like the sort to find other people's horribly messy handwriting unpleasant :shrug:
(Edgeworth probably had to sit through years of classes on penmanship and cravat tying before he got to law).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How is the statute of limitations for D-6 expiring relevant to framing Edgeworth for murder?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DKII posted:

Come now, does this look like the face of a guilty man? :v:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Xander77 posted:

How is the statute of limitations for D-6 expiring relevant to framing Edgeworth for murder?

I think the scheme is roughly what DKII said:

quote:

is our defense tomorrow going to require Edgeworth confessing to the DL-6 Incident, right before the statute of limitations is up? Is that our killer's true reason for the timing of the Christmas Eve killing?

If it works as intended, Edgeworth is found guilty of a killing no matter what.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I feel like confessing to a murder after the statute of limitations is up doesn't mean the cops shrug and go "ah well, you win this one," but the timing is pretty clearly deliberate, given the context of the letter and the three-day trial law; they knew this current trial would end December 28th at the latest.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I feel like confessing to a murder after the statute of limitations is up doesn't mean the cops shrug and go "ah well, you win this one," but the timing is pretty clearly deliberate, given the context of the letter and the three-day trial law; they knew this current trial would end December 28th at the latest.

In real life it wouldn't, but we've seen how competent the police are in Ace Attorney world...

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
I was always under the impression that Yanni Yogi was a reference to Yami Yugi from that one anime/manga about children's card games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What, so it's nothing to do with Yogi Berra?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I looked him up and his Japanese name is a reference to two poets. I guess his English name is meant to convey that he is a sleepy (yawny) sage?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe it's a pun on "Yawny Ol' Guy".

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I think it's just the guy's name and not a reference to anything

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

...! posted:

I think it's just the guy's name and not a reference to anything

An Ace Attorney character whose name isn't a pun? Scandalous! XD

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Quackles posted:

An Ace Attorney character whose name isn't a pun? Scandalous! XD

That doesn't sound Wright. Some of the puns are on the edge of being worthy, but at least you can tell they have a lot of heart behind them.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

Dirk the Average posted:

That doesn't sound Wright. Some of the puns are on the edge of being worthy, but at least you can tell they have a lot of heart behind them.

:golfclap:

But seriously, in both the English and Japanese texts, everyone's name is either a reference or a pun. Usually both.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dirk the Average posted:

:dadjoke:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 108: Episode 4, Day 3, Investigation: Served Cold

I'm not ready to process Karma being the killer-instructor yet. Let's explore the rest of our options first.

Miles Edgeworth?

Wh-wh-whaaat!?

Why in heavens would he write something like this!?

Think before you speak, greenhorn!

(Uh oh. He's angry.)
Sound: Whoops

Think again!

Maybe it was Yanni Yogi?

Yanni Yogi!?

For a second I honestly thought this option made more sense. Like if Yogi had lucid periods and wrote his crazy self the letter to remind himself what to do later. Or like if Mia kept possessing Maya and writing her letters about what happened afterward...

Uh... Yeah, I guess that would be what happened.

I think that's definitely a possibility, yes...

Hmm...

There's no way I would recognize his handwriting.

Oh, right...

Yes, Wright. I'll ask you again.

Well, gently caress me, the evil vampire lich prosecutor is the villain. And somehow I didn't see it coming at all.

Hmm... could it be Manfred von Karma?

Oh, never mind, the game is just giving me three crazy options?

Um, well, I'm not sure...

Ah, gently caress, it is Karma! Stuck jerking me around, game!

W-wait! You're right, my boy!

I used to see it all the time on court reports...

Sound: Objection

Th-the one who told Mr. Yogi to kill was...

What does this mean, then?

Why would von Karma want to frame Edgeworth...?

I hadn't even stopped to think about the why yet, but yeah, it doesn't make any sense!

We're supposed to head into the conversation screen for more, but I have to show Grossberg the letter again.

No doubt about it, this is von Karma's handwriting.

But, why kill Robert Hammond?

Hammond was a skilled defense attorney.

We repeat a bit of the last sequence talking about Yogi's motive for killing Hammond, then...

Now, there's only one question left.

And why now?

poo poo, I was hoping you would tell me!

The first two topics were there all along, but the last one was only revealed when we showed Grossberg the letter. I'll start at the top.

What do you know about Edgeworth's father?

He was a defense attorney without peer.

It sounds trite, but it's true.

Your mentor, Mia Fey.

My sister...?

(That's no surprise...)

The result: he has a perfect win record in court.

And...?

He lost.

I see...

That Karma tangent would have seemed to come out of nowhere if we hadn't shown Grossberg the letter first.

That was your mother, Misty Fey.

"The one who shot me... was the bailiff... Yanni Yogi."

That's when my mother left us.

Everyone called her a fraud.

Except... everyone did think Yogi did it? This part of the plot still doesn't make any sense. I guess the police had to find someone to blame for their massive screwup?

Yet... now that I think about it.

Or the ghost of Edgeworth the Elder was just like, "Yo, my kid threw a pistol and it went off and killed me, but it was totally Yogi's fault, so I'm just going to blame him directly."

Gregory Edgeworth must have known who shot him.

I don't believe it...

So you're saying he falsified his "testimony"?

That Edgeworth's dad lied to protect his son?

But... a possibility nonetheless.

I'm not sure the senior Edgeworth had any idea what had happened to him. But his ghost could have reasoned that with only two other people in the elevator, he should blame Yogi instead of his own son.

Back to the main craziness of this update.

Yes, but how?

...!

He'll say as much tomorrow in court, I should think.

Evidence, schmevidence.

Oh no!

Even Mr. Edgeworth thought it was just a nightmare!

Hmm... That, I do not know.

A grudge against a man who died fifteen years ago? Wait, no, that fits Karma perfectly. Hold on, thus guy's name is Karma and he's all about getting revenge on people? :doh:

What do you mean?

It was fifteen years ago...

But he didn't make it through the trial unscarred.

Oh, hell, sure, let's continue.

What happened in the trial between Edgeworth's dad and von Karma?

But Gregory Edgeworth accused von Karma of faulty evidence.

Faulty evidence?

The only mark on his perfect record. Waiting fifteen years, taking on the man's son as your protégé, and then framing him for a murder, though? That's cold.

Gregory Edgeworth dealt a blow to his perfect trial record.

Wow.

It must have been quite a shock for von Karma.

A vacation...?

Yes, an unusual event for the man.

No wonder he's so pale, he just needs some sun!

Really!? He doesn't take vacations!?

Don't tell me he's never been to Europe!?

You have strange ideas about vacations, Maya.

In any case...

I believe the penalty upset him quite a lot.

(Odd... If he wanted to keep a perfect record so badly...)

(why would he take such a long vacation?)

What do we do, Nick?

What if Mr. Edgeworth pleads guilty to DL-6!?

I won't let him!
Sound: Desk Slam

Erm, yes, Mr. Wright...

I hate to say this...

Literally not true, particularly for a nine-year-old kid. Though I suppose the social stigma would ruin Edgeworth's life like it did Yogi's.

I know that!

I... I just believe in Edgeworth's innocence!

I can't believe he'd kill someone!

B-but, Nick!

Mr. Edgeworth admits it himself!

I don't care!

I know he's not guilty!

Mr. Wright...

If you say so, I suppose I could go check again.

Been there, done that.

Mr. Grossberg... thank you!

I understand.

(The police materials... hmm.)

Due to a programming quirk, Grossberg's office only leads back to our own office or the detention center. Our next destination is rather obvious - we're going to go check on those police records ourselves!

There's hardly anyone here...

Everyone must be out looking for the old guy... Yogi.

I don't think Gumshoe'll be coming back today.

He's staying out late looking for someone.

Um, we were wondering if we could check out the Records Room again...

But... I guess Mr. von Karma is in there now, anyway.

You can go in as long as he's there.

von Karma...?

Music: Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal

(von Karma's in the Records Room!)

N-Nick! Let's hurry!

Let's end the episode's final investigation sequence by once again naively confronting the villain!

But first...

That must be one of the detectives.

He's mumbling something to himself.

"Well... I like to do stake-outs now and then..."

He must be doing image training for a first date.

Well, I guess that would come after the divorce one.

This is still a terrible idea.

Karma's here... somewhere.

Dusty as always!

We were only here just yesterday. I'm sure they just haven't had time to clean...

Nothing. I was just noticing that he isn't here.

von Karma...

Only one thing here is new - why is this drawer open?

Huh? One of the drawers here is open.

Someone must have been looking in it recently.

Hmm... "Unsolved cases"?

Nick!

So much for trying to find an additional clue in there.

Wh-what!?

Note the speaker.

Karma somehow looks even worse when front-facing.

v-v-von Karma!

You...!

...What?

Huh?
Sound: Whoops

Have we met?

W-w-what are you saying!?

Sound: Damage 2

We're Miles Edgeworth's defense team!

Defense team...?

Is this guy for real? What a troll.

They are like bugs to me. Needless things, to be crushed.

(I can see how this guy was Edgeworth's mentor.)

Such a creepy face.

I guess we should double-check this drawer first.

This large drawer is half-open.

All the stuff in here looks like random junk.

Only the evidence for the DL-6 Incident is missing.

I can guess who took it, too. von Karma.

Take that, Karma!

Fool.

(Creep!)

So be it.

There is one piece of evidence that I'm pretty sure he'll react to, but let's get the conversation out of the way first.

Uh, umm... Mr. Edgeworth is your student, right?

Just like his father. Always second rate.

Mr. von Karma...

You had an axe to grind with Mr. Gregory Edgeworth, didn't you?

Because he dealt a blow to your otherwise perfect trial record?

Hmph.

So you did... but what I don't get is...

Why did you take his son under your wing afterwards?

The son of your most bitter rival?

This is going great.

Tomorrow will be the last day of this trial.

Fifteen years, maybe?

Still, you will lose in the end.

Miles Edgeworth will admit his own guilt.

His guilt of 15 years ago, you mean?

You're quite the researcher.

You know what Miles Edgeworth will tell the court tomorrow.

(We were right...)

(So von Karma is going to bring up DL-6 in court tomorrow.)

Maybe this letter will rattle the old man. Unlike him to leave something like this lying around.

Mr. von Karma, have a look at this.

This was you, wasn't it?

Yanni Yogi...

He's a fool.

Uh-oh, un-witnessed confessions are never good for us.

...!

S-so you admit it!

Yes, my dear defense attorney.

Thank you for taking the trouble to bring it to me.

Wh-what!?

N-Nick! What is that thing!?

Sound: Electric Ping

Oh good, just a taser. We probably aren't going to die here.

A stun gun. For self-defense... usually.
Sound: Electric Ping x 2

Indeed.

Six hundred thous...!?

Now, give me the letter.

(No!!!)

Sound: Drama Pound

Sound: Electric Ping x 5
Sound: Damage 1

M-Maya!

Out of my way!

Sound: Electric Ping x 4
Sound: Damage 1

(The letter's... gone, of course.)

(And he took the DL-6 evidence... all of it.)

(Back to having no clues.)

(Wait... Maya jumped first.)

(...)

Maya! Open your eyes!

Maya!

The letter! Did he take it?

Huh!? Oh... yeah. A-are you okay!?

Music: Recollection - Heartbroken Maya

I... I couldn't stop him.

I'm useless.

Not even now, when we need her the most.

I wish I hadn't woken up at all.

Maya!

(Grr! There has to be some way I can help her!)

...?

(Maya... She's holding something!)

I remember...

von Karma was holding this when Maya jumped him.

Sound: Select Jingle

Ballistic markings, huh? Okay, I know I've been wrong a lot this case, but hear me out. The DL-6 Incident still makes no sense. And I'll show you why:

Remember this crime scene photo for the DL-6 Incident? Remember that bullet-hole in the elevator window? If Edgeworth threw the gun, and it went off on impact, there would only be one shot, and it had to have entered the senior Edgeworth's heart and stayed there. So what happened to the window? What if an opportunistic prosecutor saw what was going on and took that moment to strike, and that shot is what really killed Gregory Edgeworth? What if the ballistic markings on that bullet happen to match those on the one that killed Robert Hammond?

Most importantly, the only way that Karma could know that Edgeworth had thrown that gun and could be blamed for the DL-6 Incident is if he had been there himself.

Now, why did Gregory Edgeworth's ghost, as channeled by Misty Fey, point to Yanni Yogi as the killer? Well, it was dark in that elevator, and the man saw his son throw a gun at him and then got shot. He probably honestly thought his son had done it, and lied just as Grossberg thought. The immediate condemning of Misty Fey, and her sudden disappearance, both make sense now as well - Karma was probably tying up loose ends on his "long vacation".

(You're most definitely not useless!)

(I'll prove it to you in court tomorrow!)

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

The final day of trial is going to be wild.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry for the late update, I had it ready to go and got busy packing last night and just straight-out forgot.

Speaking of packing, I'll be on vacation next week so the next update will be July 10th.

(I have no idea what's going to happen in this trial phase, it's exciting!)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
maybe someday we'll learn not to confront villains in isolated rooms with no witnesses, but I guess today wasn't it

starting to think this von Karma guy is up to no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't think the series has a moment as bad as this again, because that letter needed about twenty thousand copies notarized and entered into the evidence yesterday.

Still, shouldn't there be a record of Von Karma requiring access to and retrieval of the DL-6 evidence? Japanifornia I swear.
(not too unrealistic for some places in the USA if I understand correctly though)