Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

queeb posted:

my pulverize hits for 200+k on a full screen of enemies, at least let my maul hit one enemy for like 50-100k?

*wisely* Earth Spike is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

Please no. Last Epoch's model is so much better.

LE epoch crafting is both easy to get into and still rewarding at high end, so yes this would be amazing

basically any crafting system blizzard didn't have to come up with themselves would be A+++

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
builder spender is just boring, at least with something like the rogue, it has a purpose with combo point mechanic, for a sorc they aren't even builders, they are just things to fill time between casts unless you're doing arc lash. Some of them offer mana regen properties, i suppose. i like sorcs but there are just some absolutely boring design elements on it, like how aspects and skills are either lucky hit or just a % chance to happen.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 27, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sloober posted:

builder spender is just boring, at least with something like the rogue, it has a purpose with combo point mechanic, for something more akin to a sorc they aren't even builders, they are just things to fill time between casts unless you're doing arc lash

As a puncture + penetrate rogue I even like the flow of 3x puncture into a big spender. The combo points + the core dmg stacking aspect make this a very enjoyable playstyle

But then I tried playing a sorc and yea, some classes are just not made for that builder dynamic

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Looks like for sorcerer they buffed the lesser used attacks without touching the others. Frozen orb I'd say would be pretty usable, I used it for awhile while leveling when I got the frozen orb explodes two extra times aspect early on but it's problem is it passes through enemies so is extremely finicky to use. It's especially bad for bosses that like to get up in your face. It'd work better if it just started exploding on the first thing it hit. The enchantment version works like that and I use it with the ice shards build I'm using.

Yeah I've used the enchantment version with the aspect that makes it stay and place and explode twice more when I dropped a good DPS staff while leveling, it was ok (with the +100% effect from a 2hander the explosion was 60%) especially cause it was homing on the enemy and stopping/exploding where they were standing. I wonder if it could be slotted in instead of meteor, although losing the extra [x]25% damage on immobilized would be bad. I was definitely freezing more though, I may give it another go.

I am trying to find a way to have a semireliable and spammable freeze outside of Nova, Aspect of Shared Misery works even with the LH% freeze on cold damage and I'm already using Blizzard as secondary...I'll give it a go and see how much it freezes.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2023

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
trip report: XP buffs to NMs are indeed quite significant. you feel it right away

this is going to make the 70+ grind much easier

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Walked posted:

CDN cached old page for Blizzard, forced new one:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes?=3

Patch notes

thank gently caress

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

zoux posted:

*wisely* Earth Spike is better

oh yeah i use that now for sure, I still stand by my point though, the disparity between your builder spender is insane

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
we need a 12 hour path notes review video by someone like dota 2 Purge

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK8OjcRmERQ 11+ hour long video

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

trip report: XP buffs to NMs are indeed quite significant. you feel it right away

this is going to make the 70+ grind much easier

yup

i just did a NM27 (level 82 mobs) at 79 that gave me almost 1/4 of a level, i wanna say yesterday i would have gotten half that

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
The thing with builders and spenders is kinda complicated in a way. It's just an issue of rhythm imho. Builders are fine in theory but they shouldn't feel punitive and when a core or bigger skills can delete things in a couple casts it makes it feel like you're missing out on your actual power level. Solvable by either tweaking up the damage more or increasing the resource generation more so that you don't have such pronounced lengths of downtime between damage bursts. I don't think it's bad as a mechanic but it needs to feel like a smooth transition rather than a stop start kinda thing. That, or they could just go back to how it was in D3 where most builds could just drop them altogether. But I think that would be a waste because the melee builders especially could feel pretty good and chunky if you didn't have to repeat them for so long. The animations and impact are at odds with the low damage.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Floor is lava posted:

we need a 12 hour path notes review video by someone like dota 2 Purge

for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK8OjcRmERQ 11+ hour long video

Tldr

Many things better

Other things still not great

No things made worse

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

unattended spaghetti posted:

It's just an issue of rhythm imho. Builders are fine in theory but they shouldn't feel punitive and when a core or bigger skills can delete things in a couple casts it makes it feel like you're missing out on your actual power level. Solvable by either tweaking up the damage more or increasing the resource generation more so that you don't have such pronounced lengths of downtime between damage bursts. I don't think it's bad as a mechanic but it needs to feel like a smooth transition rather than a stop start kinda thing. That, or they could just go back to how it was in D3 where most builds could just drop them altogether. But I think that would be a waste because the melee builders especially could feel pretty good and chunky if you didn't have to repeat them for so long. The animations and impact are at odds with the low damage.
If I was able to cast a Basic Skill whenever I try to cast a core but I'm lacking mana, without having to sacrifice one of my slots for it (akin to D2 autoattack) it would be ok. Right now it's better to do nothing for a few seconds when you are out of juice than to nerf yourself by having a dead skill on your bar any time you are not out of resources.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

If I was able to cast a Basic Skill whenever I try to cast a core but I'm lacking mana, without having to sacrifice one of my slots for it (akin to D2 autoattack) it would be ok. Right now it's better to do nothing for a few seconds when you are out of juice than to nerf yourself by having a dead skill on your bar any time you are not out of resources.

Yeah I'm thinking of this from a barbarian or druid angle. Much weirder for sorcerer.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Since we're posting patch notes readouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLgIAQ7Oic

Mathil did the best streams on patch notes day, 8 hours of cheese, wine and jazz while going over the full list, just kicking it with his chat

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
stupid meeting please end so i can spend my lunch spinning in circles

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

Anything about the Necro death clouds

They do like a ground effect now rather than a totally obscuring cloud. Still a little visually distracting but you can actually see through them now.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

The thing with builders and spenders is kinda complicated in a way. It's just an issue of rhythm imho. Builders are fine in theory but they shouldn't feel punitive and when a core or bigger skills can delete things in a couple casts it makes it feel like you're missing out on your actual power level. Solvable by either tweaking up the damage more or increasing the resource generation more so that you don't have such pronounced lengths of downtime between damage bursts. I don't think it's bad as a mechanic but it needs to feel like a smooth transition rather than a stop start kinda thing. That, or they could just go back to how it was in D3 where most builds could just drop them altogether. But I think that would be a waste because the melee builders especially could feel pretty good and chunky if you didn't have to repeat them for so long. The animations and impact are at odds with the low damage.

Yeah, there are ways to make builders feel good, ex if your builder paints a target for your finisher to chunk them off.

if your builder is just for killing time then it's worthless.

I think for sorcs right now, there are enough burning synergies where it would be cool if you fire a bunch of firebolts into the enemy to set them all on fire, then cast your core skill to blow them all up to take advantage of the burning. But the builders are really lame single target things that aren't worth using that way.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

zoux posted:

Anything about the Necro death clouds

zoux posted:

I can't find it in the patch notes tho

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1673754354732646402

it is weird that they don't call it out specifically since they have publicly acknowledged a fix is coming

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
other than maybe adding wt5 i really like the pace of this game. i liked that reaching 99 in d2 was a genuine accomplishment

also, for the people that think the pace of this game is too slow - if you build well and you are thoughtful about your item choice, there is basically no point where you arent stomping around your chosen farming method and styling on poo poo. does it really matter if you get one level every hour or one level every 15 mins

like ive been very careful with my hc barb so ive been doing things slower than normal and i was still getting upgrades at level 67 on wt3

edit: i will say that while the shrines are alright and renown carrying over is nice, the map being completely blank when you start a new character loving sucks lol

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
They increased bone spike base damage from 80-120%, which seems not insignificant, but I assume it's still not going to be worth putting any extra points in for bone spear builds

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Them carefully deciding to buff an unusable legendary aspect that causes a damage proc on every 4th core skill cast from 2000 damage at level 100 to 2650 damage at level 100 is odd in a game where pressing hammer of the ancients has 60k base damage and does 50,000,000 damage in a good build. Bizarrely timid balancing approach and it's just page after page of things that won't change anyone's decision parameters.

Sorc's flamethrower ability that roots you in place and has no noteworthy synergies or aspects and only has any secondary effects after 4 seconds of channeling it? Their approach to levelling out the playing field was to buff its overall damage by less than 20% and make it work after 3 seconds? I'm not kidding when I say it does about 1/20th of the damage it needs to in order to risk being placed on a skill bar by anyone other than people capturing gameplay footage for their trailers.

What skill tweaks are people excited for?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Substandard posted:

They increased bone spike base damage from 80-120%, which seems not insignificant, but I assume it's still not going to be worth putting any extra points in for bone spear builds

bone spike is the horse skill (hell yeah)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

First unique chest drop on my level 75 sorc and it's... thorns_chest.jpg

At least I got more XP out of the nightmare dungeon :smith:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Nevermind that's just the jump off the horse ability. Bone splinters went up from 8% to 9% and is still worthless

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Verviticus posted:

edit: i will say that while the shrines are alright and renown carrying over is nice, the map being completely blank when you start a new character loving sucks lol

this is coming in season 1, along with the renown that comes with it

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, there are ways to make builders feel good, ex if your builder paints a target for your finisher to chunk them off.

if your builder is just for killing time then it's worthless.

I think for sorcs right now, there are enough burning synergies where it would be cool if you fire a bunch of firebolts into the enemy to set them all on fire, then cast your core skill to blow them all up to take advantage of the burning. But the builders are really lame single target things that aren't worth using that way.

piercing fire bolt can be funny w/ the enchantment that makes burning enemies crap out firewalls. good for wiping out packs of mooks w/o spending any mana

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Landslide build does the generator ok. Take the storm generator since it tags stuff with vulnerable and buffs earth skills then landslide away. Well it's not a full endgame build though.

Stuff where the generator debuffs the enemy or buffs the spender is cool. More stuff like that.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Did a tier 35 Nightmare Dungeon, I'm lvl 80 mobs were 89. Made roughly 2,2 million exp, without a potion. The dungeon did not have a boss but three objectives. It did have one of those "hold out" rooms in the middle.

I'd guess with a potion it's between 4-5 dungeons to go from lvl 80 to 81. Seems like a massive exp buff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alright everyone shut up about how good exp is now before they see it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Combo point spec shows that builder/spender can be a really cool mechanic, if done well. Its just mostly not done well.
It helps that Combo Point Rogue doesn't really have any problems with energy, so the basic attack doesn't feel like filler because you need resources

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

zoux posted:

Alright everyone shut up about how good exp is now before they see it.

seriously now i'm scared they'll be like "oops exp was a bit too high lets tune it back down" lmao

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
is the world boss cache fix retroactive or are the level 80 caches in my stash still 80

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ah yeah sister octavia let me just fill this chalice with blood for you, that's definitely not a weird evil thing to do

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Example of how the new corpse death clouds look

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

ah yeah sister octavia let me just fill this chalice with blood for you, that's definitely not a weird evil thing to do

Sir you are surrounded by skeletons and a colossal pile of ambulatory meat

StarkRavingMad posted:

Example of how the new corpse death clouds look

I literally shelved my 48 necro over that so that's very good

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mustached Demon posted:

Landslide build does the generator ok. Take the storm generator since it tags stuff with vulnerable and buffs earth skills then landslide away. Well it's not a full endgame build though.

Stuff where the generator debuffs the enemy or buffs the spender is cool. More stuff like that.

I was thinking like this initially, but now I think the damage is important. I use storm strike for the vulnerable and the DR, which is useful and worth doing, but I still need to use storm strike even when vulnerable is already applied and the DR buff is up. At that point I'm just using a lovely skill to be able to use my good skill

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Humans are definitely the baddies. 70% of the world events are doing a questionable thing that summons a demon then killing that demon.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Underwhelming sorc changes really to my eyes, having tried very hard to make frozen orb work I don't see how a ten percent buff is going to make any difference at all. The extra vuln is ok I guess, but I can't see any new build opportunities in the notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Floor is lava posted:

is the world boss cache fix retroactive or are the level 80 caches in my stash still 80

retroactive, i had 2 in my cache i was able to open and get the disappointment inside