Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

I like King of Limbs and Moon shaped Pool better than Hail to the Thief but that’s just me perhaps.

Don’t love king of limbs but moon shaped pool worked for me. I also like Pablo Honey just fine as dopey early 90s power pop album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Moon Shaped Pool is great, I like Johnny Greenwood really leaning into his soundtrack instrumental chops for it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

pheebs is writing for teens the same way carly is lol

dacus and baker might be better songwriters but pb is the confidence/taste injection they needed to get big.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

^burtle posted:

Carly's audience is like 95% gay men in their 30s and 40s.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

priznat posted:

Dacus’ part on “not strong enough” gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, so good.

I love that part (and Lucy Dacus could sing lorem ipsum text and it would still be heart wrenching) but I will say even though I agree with the Lucy-Julian-Phoebe ranking order, Phoebe’s part on that song hits me incredibly hard whenever I listen, it’s an incredible distillation of Anxiety Brain in one verse/chorus. not strong enough is right at the top of my list for songs so far this year

I saw them live this past weekend in Chicago so of course everyone marked out for the shoutout in True Blue, especially because it comes right before one of the best lines in the album (“When you don't know who you are, you gently caress around and find out”)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

^burtle posted:

dacus and baker might be better songwriters but pb is the confidence/taste injection they needed to get big.

I also like crj. And so does npr:

https://youtu.be/NGsgb8m0Yns

:colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nihonniboku posted:

Carly's audience is like 95% gay men in their 30s and 40s.

That's not exactly fair. Some of us are bisexual, too.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Kid A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Kid A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:hmmyes:

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I was never a big Radiohead fan but a couple of years ago I challenged myself to give every album a serious listen (sometimes multiple listens). In Rainbows was my favorite, followed by Kid A. A lot of their discography is painfully boring.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Nightmare Cinema posted:

OK Computer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ok computer, kid A, pyramid song, in rainbows and a moon shaped pool are stone cold classics imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ok computer, kid A, pyramid song, in rainbows and a moon shaped pool are stone cold classics imo

Absolutely. I really like Amnesiac as a whole too but Pyramid song is definitely the highlight. Back in the late 90s/early 00s I would go to Radiohead concerts every chance I got. And also Beck. Those two are probably my most watched shows.

The shared Nigel Godrich connection (Sea Change is one of my all time fav albums)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
glad someone can finally lift up those unsung heroes of indie rock the "radio heads"

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i don't even really like boygenius or phoebe bridgers that much but people calling them boring and grocery store music in the indie rock thread of all places is pretty funny

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's extremely hosed up to have an opinion on music imo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Radiohead’s music is very melodramatic but A Moon Shaped Pool actually feels like a album about experiencing real sadness and loss, and having something you fear become reality.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 27, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm enjoying this new Cory Hanson record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqfRDc5QBZY

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Agreed.

(I like boygenius and all three individualy, but if forced to rank, it’s Dacus, baker, bridgers)

This is the correct ranking.

Lucy Dacus just made a video for Night Shift as well, only 5 years late.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

King of Limbs is decent, but it's dogshit compared to the Basement version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVLzuMEYps&t=67s

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Radiohead or at least Thom Yorke refused to meet Miley Cyrus way back in the day; I wonder if they'd be the ones asking for a quick chat after an awards show now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Radiohead or at least Thom Yorke refused to meet Miley Cyrus way back in the day; I wonder if they'd be the ones asking for a quick chat after an awards show now.

Lol I don’t think they would

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
They also declined to meet Kanye West backstage at the Grammy’s I think and he got extremely about it

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I saw The Cure again and man Robert Smith is still so loving good at 64.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

T Bowl posted:

I saw The Cure again and man Robert Smith is still so loving good at 64.

It's loving wild how good they sound. The range of songs they play in a tour is crazy, the amount they play in a night is crazy, I have no idea how they have the stamina at their age.

Best band in the world!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I saw the Cure nearly seven years ago, they played for over three hours and did multiple encores. Hard to believe they still have that energy.

In other news I just scored tickets to Mount Eerie with Black Belt Eagle Scout, can't wait for that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bright Bart posted:

Virgin Thom Yorke: refuses to meet with Miley Cyrus
Chad Trent Reznor: let’s her do a weird pop cover of one of his songs for a tv show, also produces an album for Halsey

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Chad Trent Reznor: let’s her do a weird pop cover of one of his songs for a tv show, also produces an album for Halsey

“I am not a woman I’m a god” is a banger, and so recognizably Trent it rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

The bigger chad move was letting lil nas x use a sample off of one of his instrumental albums

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Epi Lepi posted:

It's loving wild how good they sound. The range of songs they play in a tour is crazy, the amount they play in a night is crazy, I have no idea how they have the stamina at their age.

Best band in the world!

I saw them earlier on this tour and it was insane; they sound amazing and poo poo, I was tired after mostly sitting down for that set. These oldass dudes are running around the stage like bruce dickinson

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

priznat posted:

“I am not a woman I’m a god” is a banger, and so recognizably Trent it rules
i hadn't heard this recently thanks for reminder

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I missed out on Hotelier tickets :smith:

and Cure tickets :smith:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

i've been listening a lot to superviolet lately. it's somewhere between jangly guitar and lush real estate-style instrumentation and pavementy vocals???? idk help me out here, he sounds like everyone and no one all at once

ugh the breakdown is so good. this is a great "biking around in the summer" song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHryMWdWM8

this feels like a frog song and i love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Fc5HRSY08

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's extremely hosed up to have an opinion on music imo

pls mods new thread title

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Pls mods any thread title besides the current one

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

They're releasing a big collection of Nick Drake covers next week, and I'm pretty excited for it.

The Aldous Harding/ John Parish version of Three Hours is particularly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EuZcw05mU

Let's Eat Grandma doing From the Morning also rules.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

cptn_dr posted:

They're releasing a big collection of Nick Drake covers next week, and I'm pretty excited for it.

The Aldous Harding/ John Parish version of Three Hours is particularly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EuZcw05mU

Let's Eat Grandma doing From the Morning also rules.

Supremely my poo poo, thank you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big City Drinkin posted:

Pls mods any thread title besides the current one

Yeah that one sucked. Enjoy a new one!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I liked the old title.

It was a summary of the ethos of this thread.

But it's kind of lame to petition to change it back.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 28, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was very hacky early late 2000s/2010s "hipster" commentary imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_fh0OouLo

I almost thought of posting this in the jazz thread but it's here by a hair. I forget that many people don't know about this group at all even though they had some press years back.