Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I use likes somewhat subjectively and randomly. Especially since I imported imdb ratings originally so I have a zillion movies without likes on them, more about the star ratings.

One thing I find myself doing is putting a like on a 3.5/5 movie I really liked, or 3/5 I'm fond of etc, to give it a little extra oomph. I'd like to just do buckets of popcorn etc Gregg Turkington style.

edit: new page... Everyone see Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. They are genuinely very good times.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I had a big move last year so I completely missed out on my annual tradition of watching and reviewing garbage horror on Amazon prime. I'm finally settled in so I'm going to be making up for lost time. If you follow me on Letterboxd I'm sorry for the flood of poo poo you're about to be exposed to.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
For those who care, letterboxd has made significant changes to their rating algorithm, to remove recency bias, bias from one country, and to lower the ratings concert videos and making off documentaries receive. With these changes, Hara Kiri is the highest rated movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reading their update it wasn't clear to me whether the've solved the problem of the top of lists of obscure titles always being something that got 3 decent ratings at a festival a decade ago. That might be under the umbrella of "ratings manipulation" but I wish I could just have a filter that let me exclude things that have under 10 ratings.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Interesting, I'm not big on consensus or aggregate ratings numbers anyway. But, it would be nice if we could bump Blue Velvet a couple decimals and get it onto the top freakin' 250. What the hell letterboxd raters, what the hell. But the coolest movies are a little divisive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kanonvandekempen posted:

bias from one country

Ah, I see India found Letterboxd then.

Indian Movie: *exists*
Indians: 5*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a way to allow people to co-edit lists?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

feedmyleg posted:

Reading their update it wasn't clear to me whether the've solved the problem of the top of lists of obscure titles always being something that got 3 decent ratings at a festival a decade ago. That might be under the umbrella of "ratings manipulation" but I wish I could just have a filter that let me exclude things that have under 10 ratings.

I use sliders on IMDb to filter and actually find results I find useful in a search, +1000 votes really takes out a lot of the chaff. I built a bunch of Letterboxd horror sub-genre watchlists using that and key words. Agree I’d love something like that on the pretty movie database.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, I see India found Letterboxd then.

Indian Movie: *exists*
Indians: 5*

It was mostly brazil at this point I think.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Hausu Usher posted:

I use sliders on IMDb to filter and actually find results I find useful in a search, +1000 votes really takes out a lot of the chaff. I built a bunch of Letterboxd horror sub-genre watchlists using that and key words. Agree I’d love something like that on the pretty movie database.

I dig that it worked for you, but! I must nitpick, this mighty fine Lupin the Third theatrical feature, available on home video in the US for like 20 years, has only 858 votes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170181/

And for US stuff with horror movie legends, the Ted Raimi masterpiece Lunatics: A Love Story only has 763 ratings. So really, numbers are never good is the lesson here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102357/

There's no shortcut for finding the good stuff, clearly. We just gotta sift through thousands of pages and research zillions of movies, or we're gonna miss out on the gems.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Random question but if you create a list as private and then make it public does it show up as a new list on your friend's feed or no?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig that it worked for you, but! I must nitpick, this mighty fine Lupin the Third theatrical feature, available on home video in the US for like 20 years, has only 858 votes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170181/

And for US stuff with horror movie legends, the Ted Raimi masterpiece Lunatics: A Love Story only has 763 ratings. So really, numbers are never good is the lesson here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102357/

There's no shortcut for finding the good stuff, clearly. We just gotta sift through thousands of pages and research zillions of movies, or we're gonna miss out on the gems.

Have you considered maybe a +762 ratings filter might be good? :clint:

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It was mostly brazil at this point I think.

Yeah, it was largely a reaction to people complaining about A Dog's Purpose being the #3 movie on the Letterboxd top 250, it got there on a vote campaign by Brazilian users. It's now not even in the top 1000 anymore after the changes lol.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If I have one complaint about Letterboxd, and this might be a MovieDB issue, it's that it just kinda removes movies randomly sometimes. I'm a little miffed that I added a "wrestling show" (which was much more like a live scripted and shot play + movie hybrid) and my partner was able to review it but then it just got unceremoniously deleted. Are you telling me it's somehow less valid than the Starkid musicals?

Maybe I can contact them about it. I'm not entirely sure how it all works.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'm glad they have the top 250 lists, because if you just sort by rating, most of the first couple pages are just TV shows.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

How long have you been able to edit/mass delete tags? FOREVER I've had a problem with one my tags showing up twice and I just fixed it with a button click. Hell yes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I did a thing.

Taking suggestions, both on new titles and "which one is the good one."

Rules: no remakes/reboots/public domain stuff like Dracula or Robin Hood, just two completely unique movies that happen to have the exact same title. I'll allow articles like 'The' or 'A,' but anything more than that and I consider them different films.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Leatherhead posted:

I'm glad they have the top 250 lists, because if you just sort by rating, most of the first couple pages are just TV shows.

If you got to the front-page of letterboxd and sort by highest rated, it shows you "Films", the top 10 of which include Band of Brothers (#2 film of all time), cowboy bebop (#4) Fullmetal Alchemist (#8) and breaking bad (#9).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Actually all is forgiven Planet Earth 2 is at #15

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Leatherhead posted:

If you click the eyeball icon, you can hide TV shows, docs, or shorts.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Hide live events (music/stand up comedy) and hide animations would be nice.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

drat, I could have logged Bebop? This makes it all the weirder than you can log the bad remake of The Prisoner but not the good original.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

SeductiveReasoning posted:

If you click the eyeball icon, you can hide TV shows, docs, or shorts.

Ooh that's useful, thanks.

E: Lol, still includes Twin Peaks, Twin Peaks season 3, some special on Fleabag and the making-of special on Breaking Bad, all just on the front page.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

I did a thing.

Rules: no remakes/reboots/public domain stuff like Dracula or Robin Hood, just two completely unique movies that happen to have the exact same title. I'll allow articles like 'The' or 'A,' but anything more than that and I consider them different films.

A few that came to mind:

Notorious (1946 / 2009)
The Black Swan / Black Swan
Kicking & Screaming / Kicking and Screaming

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm 0/6 on these; which ones are 'the good ones'

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

I'm 0/6 on these; which ones are 'the good ones'

The consensus would say: Notorious (1946), Black Swan (2010) and Kicking and Screaming (1995).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's also the Invitation (2015) and the Invitation (2022)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Might dig deeper for pairs later, but there's Crash (1996) and Crash (2004). And Crash! (1976) if you want a third contender. The Cronenberg one is the good one either way.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I did a thing.

There's also The Ambulance (1990) & Ambulance (2022)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Detention (2011) and Detention (2019)

Haven’t seen 2019 but 2011 rules so that’s my vote for the good one

There are a couple other movies by that name too, but those two have by far the highest view count

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cronenberg Crash (good) vs. Best Picture winner Crash (garbage)

e: dang it I'm bad at reading recent posts

Help! (the Beatles one) vs. The Help (2011)

Z (1969) vs Z (2019), dunno if anyone's actually seen the recent one but it doesn't seem too insanely obscure... Either way, 1969 almost definitely better.

Still assuming the ! is ok, there's Mother! (2017) vs. The Mother (2023), an action movie with J Lo. Guessing the first is way better but it's pretty controversial.

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 28, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

I did a thing.

Fun idea! Here's a few other contenders:

-You've matched The Host (2006, Bong Joon-ho) with Host (2020, terrible Zoom horror movie). There's a more exact match, The Host, (2013, YA adaptation starring starring Saorise Ronan, https://letterboxd.com/film/the-host-2013/). I don't know if you're trying to keep these as just 2 movies for each title, but The Host (2013) has the exact title and came out closer in time. Obviously Bong Joon-Ho is the good one.

-The Innocents (1961, haunted house classic, https://letterboxd.com/film/the-innocents/) shares it's name with a lot of titles, but surprisingly it has the same number of views on Letterboxd as The Innocents (2021, Norwegian film, https://letterboxd.com/film/the-innocents-2021/). They're both good.

-Jack Frost (1998, Michael Keaton turns into a snowman, https://letterboxd.com/film/jack-frost/) was preceded by one year by Jack Frost (1997, serial killer snowman, https://letterboxd.com/film/jack-frost-1997/). Obviously the horror one is the good one.

-Finally, did The Thing (1982, John Carpenter classic, https://letterboxd.com/film/the-thing/) begat Things (1989, bad movie hall of famer, https://letterboxd.com/film/things/ )? Probably not, but I couldn't resist.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

Still assuming the ! is ok, there's Mother! (2017) vs. The Mother (2023), an action movie with J Lo. Guessing the first is way better but it's pretty controversial.

Don't forget Bong Joon-ho's Mother. https://letterboxd.com/film/mother-2009/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Crescent Wrench posted:

-Finally, did The Thing (1982, John Carpenter classic, https://letterboxd.com/film/the-thing/) begat Things (1989, bad movie hall of famer, https://letterboxd.com/film/things/ )? Probably not, but I couldn't resist.

A movie so bad, I have a certificate just for sitting through it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

A movie so bad, I have a certificate just for sitting through it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I honestly wish I could just automatically block anyone who's ever posted a list of thousands of movies.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Crescent Wrench posted:

I honestly wish I could just automatically block anyone who's ever posted a list of thousands of movies.

Being annoyed at those lists made me start thinking about what lists I had public and setting a bunch of "here's some slightly connected films I haven't seen" watchlist stuff as private. It should be the law.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have a single list, it's public, and it exists only to cause psychic damage to one of my friends.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

So you've seen my movies I own list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I only have two lists that get regular updates. A list of movies I've seen in theaters and a list of movies I've seen that have dragons in them.