Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Aside from the Flames of War Vietnam rules and using general-purpose moderns stuff for Vietnam, what rulesets exist for the conflict? I'm mostly asking in the hunt for ones that do asymmetry well, but I'll take anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've heard good stuff about Charlie Don't Surf by TFL, but haven't played it myself.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's also a pretty extensive fan-made mod for Chain of Command by them as well: http://carportgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/on-road-again.html
He's got lot's of optional stuff on the blog as well including platoons for the First Indochina War.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Played my first game in over a year - Saga Epic, with three vs three players. Greek states defending against Persians. The saga multiplayer rules are surprisingly good. Each side gets to choose the order in which the opponents play their warbands, and you take turn between sides, so there’s some tactics just there. Also warbands share battleboards, so you can set up your friends for massive turns if their coming combats are more important than yours.

I had no time to paint up my army, but it was fun enough that my victrix persians are now prioritized for hobby time for our upcoming rematch at the end of Summer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Someone tell me what to do with all these 10/15mm Henry Turner HYW minis I have now

DBA? Something based on that? Maybe just base up a bunch in DBA format and figure out rules later? Something off the cuff like Days of Knights?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Someone tell me what to do with all these 10/15mm Henry Turner HYW minis I have now

DBA? Something based on that? Maybe just base up a bunch in DBA format and figure out rules later? Something off the cuff like Days of Knights?

im doing 15 mm and basing for L'Art de la Guerre (ALDG, a DBx derivative). same exact basing as DBx so you can play those too. fyi i have trouble fitting 15 mm 4 wide on 40 mm wide bases, if you're trying to come in to DBx basing exactly. ADLG doesn't care about figure counts as much, and in fact uses 2 bases butted up together as 1 unit, so i'm actually using 40x40s.

i also plan on using To the Strongest! with 2 or 3 bases = 1 unit in that

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Or do what I did and steal this guy's idea. Useful for Big DBA and each unit fits nicely per grid for TtS!

https://balagan.info/using-big-bases-for-dba

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Impress basing looks so much better than DBA basing imo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Endman posted:

Impress basing looks so much better than DBA basing imo

Do you mean Impetus? If so I agree

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i agree as well. 40x40 is a nice compromise though, for ADLG. i'll be going with the same figure count as above, just split onto 2 bases

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

spectralent posted:

Aside from the Flames of War Vietnam rules and using general-purpose moderns stuff for Vietnam, what rulesets exist for the conflict? I'm mostly asking in the hunt for ones that do asymmetry well, but I'll take anything.

What scale are you planning to use?

Here is what I've found in my search for a 28mm platoon-level Vietnam game:

-Bolt Action Vietnam
Literally just BA's WW2 rules with a few things tacked on, which doesn't seem to really tackle the feel of Vietnam

-Oscar Mike
This is a set of rules in beta that is being developed in tandem with Rubicon. They have a facebook page where you can get the rules to beta test, but they're not really in a readable state ATM. I peaced out after coming across the page listing all 11 billion tokens used during play.

-The 'Nam by Wayne Bollands
A decent set of rules, but probably could have used a little more time in the oven. It at least tries to capture the asymmetrical feel of the war. Doesn't really have scenarios.

-Force on Force + Vietnam Supplement
Force on Force already does asymmetrical warfare alright, and there are special rules for just about everything, so I think this is the ruleset I'm going to go with in the end. The Vietnam supplement is a little disappointing in that it's mostly unit organizations, and only has 6 scenarios.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was planning to use 15mm figures but Rubicon have a rather lovely range there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Count Thrashula posted:

Do you mean Impetus? If so I agree

Autocorrect!! :argh:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

spectralent posted:

Pendraken's "Cold War Commander" is pretty popular. I haven't played but I have read through the rules and it seems pretty decent.
https://www.pendraken.co.uk/cold-war-commander-1076-c.asp

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Pendraken's "Cold War Commander" is pretty popular. I haven't played but I have read through the rules and it seems pretty decent.
https://www.pendraken.co.uk/cold-war-commander-1076-c.asp

I'm due to play a game of this shortly, I'll report back. It should happen sometime next month. The guy I'm playing with seems to be a huge fan of those rules.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Cold War Commander is pretty approachable as someone who skews more into the wargame side of historical wargames. It's tight and plays quick.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's...fine. I tried BKC4 back when pendraken got the rights and wasn't blown away. It's basically epic 40k with some c&c if I remember.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm due to play a game of this shortly, I'll report back. It should happen sometime next month. The guy I'm playing with seems to be a huge fan of those rules.

Awesome. Thanks. I really want to play Vietnam era after seeing the terrain they use + I've been getting away from overloaded-board slugfests and want to play more low points/more maneuver games.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

There was a poster a while ago that had a really interesting looking game that they had posted a lot of pictures of. If I recall it was platoon sized and had continuing missions, and you had to track the members of your platoon and whatnot. It seemed really interesting! Wish I could remember it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Luftwaffles posted:

Just finished my first mission in a Vietnam War campaign using "The 'Nam: The Way it Was" by Wayne Bollands.

The rules let you use a campaign system and take a platoon through a series of missions with the soldiers surviving from one mission to the next.

Here's the platoon roster:

Each soldier is numbered to randomize any hits while playing.

3rd Platoon, Bravo Company, 1/503rd Infantry:

(Not pictured, Forward Observer team and Dog Team)

MISSION
UH-1D call sign "Lancer 11" was shot down vic An Loc Dong. 3rd Platoon, B Company will secure the crash site and rescue any survivors. Intel reports minimal VC / NVA presence in the area.

US Forces deploy - negative enemy contact.

From left to right, front row: 3rd Squad, M60 Team B, 2nd Squad, M60 team A, 1st Squad. Second row: PSG, Medic, Tiger, Dog Team, FO, PL

The rules as written use a card deck for activation where each side has an assigned suite and each unit an assigned card (ex: 1st Squad, A Team is a 4 of hearts). I instead made a token for each unit from extra 28mm round bases with a national flag on one side and the specific unit on the other.

The first pull:

drat.

Using a random number generator (1-47) I rolled a 44. SGT Currie and the dog team tripped a booby trap! (What kind of terrible nose does this dog have?!)

It was right now that I realized I clumped my platoon headquarters VERY closely, with the dog team, PL, and FO caught in the blast zone. (Within 3")

Rolling for hits, the dog gets knocked down and will miss its next turn (maybe it will get its head in the game now), SGT Currie is uninjured, the Lieutenant and his RTO are unscathed. Sadly, the good luck ends there and the FO team takes the brunt of the blast.

SGT Jones and PFC Ciesielski are both killed.

The next few turns are uneventful, with the US forces advancing across the rice paddies with negative contact.

Once 2nd Squad starts to cross the final rice paddy, the NVA make an appearance (of course Army Intel was wrong!).

A fireteam and MMG open up on 1st Squad from a paddy dyke and a log bunker.

PV2 Bracewell is wounded and out of the fight!

Luckily, the next token was for a US Mortar barrage. The platoon leader called it in and dropped some steel on target.

This killed 2 NVA and suppressed both teams.

On the next token one of the US M60 teams sprays the jungle and inflicts a lucky hit on the MMG gun team.

With the only NVA on the field suppressed. 2nd Squad advances into the paddy field towards Lancer 11's crash site.

But quickly trigger more of the ambush with 2 additional NVA fireteams deploying.

The incoming fire fails to cause any US casualties, but 2nd Squad is pinned down in the mud.

The next turn sees another US Mortar token pulled, and 2LT Shull adjusts fire on to the NVA fireteam occupying Lancer 11's crash site.

This kills one of the NVA infantrymen and suppresses the team (I would also assume this destroys Lancer 11 ... so mission failed?).

Just when 2nd Squad thinks they are safe, an NVA MMG bunker opens up from their left flank hitting the RTO, SPC Hodges, in the neck, inflicting a severe wound.

(Interestingly, SPC Hodges was the only out-of-uniform soldier in the squad, being shirtless under his flak jacket. He probably was wearing white socks and had his hands in his pockets too.)

On the US right flank, M60 Team A opens up on the original NVA MMG Bunker, gets another lucky hit, and takes the team out of action.

Trying to flank the bunker hammering away at 2nd Squad, 3rd Squad advances towards the jungle, and promptly triggers another NVA fireteam.

Things are looking grim for 2nd Squad - pinned down in a rice paddy with 3 fireteams and an MMG bunker firing at them, casualties are about to mount. Luckily, the next token pulled is for the A4-B Skyhawk.

The Skyhawk is on target, and drops a load of napalm on the bunker.

The napalm also catches 3 of the NVA infantrymen in the fireteam along the paddy dike. Napalm in this game is lethal, if you get hit you are dead. At this point, the surviving NVA infantrymen decide enough is enough and bug out to Cambodia.

No longer pinned down, 2nd Squad advances by fire towards Lancer 11's crash site.

They inflict a casualty on the NVA fireteam, but it is not enough to suppress the NVA. The NVA's return fire sees SPC Novak take an RPK burst in the neck, killing him and pinning 2nd Squad's Bravo Team.

However, after this exchange of fire the remaining NVA decide to call it a day and retreat into the jungle.

The final tally is:

US:
3 KIA (Jones, Ciesielski, Novak)
2 WIA (Bracewell, Hodges) - Bracewell's wound is severe enough to be sent back to the States, but Hodges will return after the next mission.

NVA:
10 KIA (5 to the Napalm strike!)
6 WIA

Naturally, the US forces report a body count of 10, with 276 probables. (Westmoreland math at its best)

Being the first mission, 3rd Platoon isn't eligible for any replacements. "Luckily", the FO team are not organic to the platoon and will be replaced by battalion, but we are down 2 permanently from the organic platoon structure, with 1 missing the next mission.

The new, reorganized platoon looks like this:

The PSG's RTO (Maxwell) will replace Hodges while he is recovering, while Allen and Ruiz from the Weapons Squad will fill in as riflemen.

Overall, this was a fun game and a great introduction to the rules. I would recommend the ruleset to anyone interested in a persistent Vietnam wargame, at least until Warwick Kinrade's 'Nam 68 comes out.

Quoting this post to bring it to the top into recent discussion

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Okay that's interesting and especially because the book apparently lets you do the same thing with an NVA or VC squad.

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008
Just an FYI - the rules for "The Nam - the way it was" don't actually have a campaign system, it was more something I developed on my own. Same with the blind-draw tokens, I believe you are supposed to draw cards?

Still a fun set of rules, you just might want to add some additions to make it yours.

I played most of my games solo, but tried a few with some friends (and an accommodating wife) and even with the added campaign steps / platoon tracking it was a lot of fun!

If you wanted to check out some more missions I had a post on LAF here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131466.0

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Relevant ACOUP (run by a Roman military historian specializing in literally this period) to those interested in antiquities came out; the gist is that in modern scholarship it’s understood the Marian Reforms flat out didn’t happen. Some of the changes attributed to Marius started maybe a century before him, and most were likely instituted/codified instead by Augustus.

https://acoup.blog/2023/06/30/collections-the-marian-reforms-werent-a-thing/

He does a run down:

quote:

Cohorts: Experimented with before Marius, especially in Spain. Marius uses cohorts, but there’s no evidence he systematized or standardized this or was particularly new or unusual in doing so. Probably the actual breakpoint here is the Social War.
Poor Volunteers Instead of Conscripted Assidui: Marius does not represent a break in the normal function of the Roman dilectus but a continuation of the Roman tradition of taking volunteers or dipping into the capite censi in a crisis. The traditional Roman conscription system functions for decades after Marius and a full professional army doesn’t emerge until Augustus.
Discharge bonuses or land as a regular feature of Roman service: Once again, this isn’t Marius but Imperator Caesar Augustus who does this. Rewarding soldiers with loot and using conquered lands to form colonies wasn’t new and Marius doesn’t standardize it, Augustus does.
No More equites and velites: No reason in the source to suppose Marius does this and plenty of reasons to suppose he doesn’t. Both velites and equites seem to continue at least a little bit into the first century. Fully replacing these roles with auxilia is once again a job for our man, Imperator Caesar Augustus, divi filius, pater patriae, reformer of armies, gestae of res, and all the rest.
State-Supplied Equipment: No evidence in the sources. This shift is happening but is not associated with Marius. In any event, the conformity of imperial pay records with Polybius’ system of deductions for the second century BC suggests no major, clean break in the system.
A New Sort of Pilum: No evidence, probably didn’t exist, made up by Plutarch or his sources. Roman pilum design is shifting, but not in the ways Plutarch suggests. If a Marian pilum did exist, the idea didn’t stick.
Aquila Standards: Eagle standards pre-date Marius and non-eagle standards post-date him, but this may be one thing he actually does do, amplifying the importance of the eagle as the primary standard of the legion.
The sarcina and furca and making Roman soldiers carry things: By no means new to Marius. This is a topos of Roman commanders before and after Marius. There is no reason to suppose he was unusual in this regard.

On the plastic minis side the bit about equites/velites probably continuing to be a thing for a while sticks out in particular.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Luftwaffles posted:

Just an FYI - the rules for "The Nam - the way it was" don't actually have a campaign system, it was more something I developed on my own. Same with the blind-draw tokens, I believe you are supposed to draw cards?

Still a fun set of rules, you just might want to add some additions to make it yours.

I played most of my games solo, but tried a few with some friends (and an accommodating wife) and even with the added campaign steps / platoon tracking it was a lot of fun!

If you wanted to check out some more missions I had a post on LAF here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131466.0

While you're here, I have a question about these rules. How do you determine which particular model is hit when a unit is fired upon?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

So when do we see the triarii disappear or absorbed? It seems to me that they're gone before the augustan period

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fearless posted:

So when do we see the triarii disappear or absorbed? It seems to me that they're gone before the augustan period

Nobody knows. From my own interpretation, it looks like it was a gradual change; the rearmost ranks of the cohort were still referred to as the ‘triarii’ in Caesar’s time, despite being equipped the same as the rest.

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

While you're here, I have a question about these rules. How do you determine which particular model is hit when a unit is fired upon?

I wrote a number on the bottom of each base, and the roster has each soldier with a matching number. When a fireteam is fired on I randomize the hit with a random number generator.

Say we have a US Army fireteam consisting of:

1 - SGT Smith
2 - PFC Walker
3 - PFC Adams
4 - PV2 Baker

An NVA fireteam shoots at the above and inflicts 1 hit. I use a random number generator to give a number 1-4, then check to see which soldier is hit.

It adds an extra layer of complexity, but I enjoy it

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Luftwaffles posted:

I wrote a number on the bottom of each base, and the roster has each soldier with a matching number. When a fireteam is fired on I randomize the hit with a random number generator.

Say we have a US Army fireteam consisting of:

1 - SGT Smith
2 - PFC Walker
3 - PFC Adams
4 - PV2 Baker

An NVA fireteam shoots at the above and inflicts 1 hit. I use a random number generator to give a number 1-4, then check to see which soldier is hit.

It adds an extra layer of complexity, but I enjoy it

Sweet, thanks.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Crosspost about a Black Seas miniature:

Southern Heel posted:

I got a free third rate ship from Wargames illustrated magazine while I was at salute 2023. I thought it was just a cool thing, but then I realised I could give it to my stepdad as a birthday gift. He is building a 1/64 HMS Victory, so this is never going to come close to that - but hopefully he appreciates the sentiment.

On one hand, I really enjoyed doing the rigging using EZ line, but on the other, I’m glad it’s finished, and I don’t know if I could cope with doing it all with thread and deadeyes!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Nice, I had a game of Black Seas over the weekend. Never heard of EZ Line, looks way less of a hassle than thread or wire.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Crosspost about a Black Seas miniature:

hell yeah

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Nice, I had a game of Black Seas over the weekend. Never heard of EZ Line, looks way less of a hassle than thread or wire.

Yeah, it’s super easy! It’s very elastic so you anchor one end and simply dot a piece of glue, then stretch the line to reach that point. This is the 0.03 mm, which is “medium “, I think I should’ve gone thicker because you can’t see it unless it’s showing up against a white background.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you!

Yeah, it’s super easy! It’s very elastic so you anchor one end and simply dot a piece of glue, then stretch the line to reach that point. This is the 0.03 mm, which is “medium “, I think I should’ve gone thicker because you can’t see it unless it’s showing up against a white background.

poo poo, I didn’t even know that existed. I’ve been trying to finish the Black Seas Master and Commander starter set and I got to say, learning to paint minis has been a more pleasant experience than learning how to tie tiny threads everywhere. The lines on yours looks so much cleaner than my attempts:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kitty!

That game looks really good, I've been looking for something to fit that Patrick O'Brian niche.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's the perfect game for doing exactly that. It handles small squadron action best, I think it falls apart when you try shoving ships of the line into it's system. My in-law wants to do a Quasi War campaign which will be an excellent fit since it was mostly frigate and smaller engagements.

I really should nut up and do the rigging, you guys' ships look so much more dynamic than mine. I would suggest doing basing, the flag system is ok but confusing and I find handling and maneuvering the ships a lot easier with one.
Edit: Also I found this guy's ship cards to be more useful than the ones in the box. https://kingtiger.co.uk/black-seas-ship-cards/

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 6, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

It's the perfect game for doing exactly that. It handles small squadron action best, I think it falls apart when you try shoving ships of the line into it's system. My in-law wants to do a Quasi War campaign which will be an excellent fit since it was mostly frigate and smaller engagements.

I really should nut up and do the rigging, you guys' ships look so much more dynamic than mine. I would suggest doing basing, the flag system is ok but confusing and I find handling and maneuvering the ships a lot easier with one.
Edit: Also I found this guy's ship cards to be more useful than the ones in the box. https://kingtiger.co.uk/black-seas-ship-cards/

I keep going back and forth on basing. I like the idea for the reasons you said plus I like being able to have historical ships names on there, but I kinda also like the look of the free ships.

edit: Also thanks for that card link, hopefully I’ll finish these things soon so I can actually play the game. I’m glad people itt seem to like it, I’ve seen some people online complaining about some mechanics, specifically the line of battle stuff.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2023

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I keep going back and forth on basing. I like the idea for the reasons you said plus I like being able to have historical ships names on there, but I kinda also like the look of the free ships.

edit: Also thanks for that card link, hopefully I’ll finish these things soon so I can actually play the game. I’m glad people itt seem to like it, I’ve seen some people online complaining about some mechanics, specifically the line of battle stuff.

Because the rigging is such a pain the arse to do and the ships are quite delicate I thought having a base to handle the models is essential unless I wanted to be doing repairs forever. I didn't really like the look of 'sea' bases as it never quite looks right to me, so I comprised on clear acrylic ones. I used a couple of different sizes from fluid3d
https://www.fluid3dworkshop.co.uk/basing/stadium

I found them after watching a couple of the miniature realms videos on youtube

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Prepping for Historicon...I am playing in one game of Pickett's Charge to see if I like it. Reading the rules now. Goddamn these are poorly written. I don't know if something is wrong with me but I much prefer a more casual style of writing like Sharp Practice, Saga, or Black Powder. I have read pretty much all the "big battle" rules now and none seem to be easy to pick up except Altar of Freedom and Black Powder.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Cold War Commander interest

I got my game of Cold War Commander in today. I found it very enjoyable and very easy to learn. We just played the base game, no special rules, only armour and infantry. Command and Control was very simple, you have commanders that issue orders to formations. You keep activating a unit from the same commander until it fails, each successive roll being harder than the last. An initiative system ensures that units stuck in close to enemies won't just do nothing if you were to roll command and fail the first test. Overall lethality is extremely low, with units refreshing their hits and suppression at the end of your turn. You tend to push enemies back, only destroying them with a concentration of co-ordinated fire. The game did lack flavour though, my t-55s didn't really feel different from his M-60s, beyond their slightly better armour save. Some stats seemed quite off. My infantry armed with RPG-7s were by far my best unit, vastly outshooting my t-55s (tougher too), and my BMPs couldn't engage infantry as they had no weapon to shoot at soft targets.

Our game was a ton of fun, I led a small Soviet mech-infantry battle group tasked with deploying bridges to cross the Rhine. The board heavily favoured defence, I had a massive amount of open ground to cross. (this is one thing I should have corrected, but I seded board set-up to my opponent as I'd never played before.) A single M-60 held 2 T-55, 3 BMPs, and 7 infantry for half the game on my left flank. It was dug in and I had zero cover on the approach. I had to get it out of there as it could cover almost all the ground I needed to cross. I managed to suppress it eventually, but then in a critical fail my guys shot each other to pieces. I lost everything on that flank but 4 infantry. Despite that it was a ton of fun. I never even got close to the Rhine, only managing at best to make it like 45cm out of my deployment zone.

Pros:
-played very fast
-easy to learn/hard to master
-intuitive CnC system
-Simple set of core rules that handle the period well enough
-flexible list building
-very low lethality, more about maneuvering
-an insane amount of optional rules

Cons:
-lacked flavour, units on both sides felt the same
-Infantry feel like tanks, tanks feel inferior except when on the move
-bad luck is not recoverable, i didn't have re-rolls or ways to mitigate terrible rolls
-many optional rules that seem very complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems odd that BMPs didn't have anti-personnel capability since they all mount either a 75mm cannon or a 30mm autocannon.