Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Edward Mass posted:

The problem ESPN has now, I believe, is that they are trying to serve two masters - the cable/satellite industry and the direct-to-consumer business. Them pumping up ESPN+ has led to the atrophying of original programming on linear television. On any given weekday, it seems 18 hours of ESPN2 is what ESPN was airing an hour earlier.

Totally agree and I think they're in a tough spot right now. Iger seems vaguely bullish on ESPN's future as a Disney property and I would tend to lean that they aren't selling anytime soon simply because the media landscape is really up and down and advertising money also is. I think they're not going to move on anything until the Hulu-Comcast situation is handled which won't be til early 2024. The one thing that seems to be a constant though is all the streaming platforms are leveraging live sports as a way to hold onto/gain subscribers. It's why peacock spent so much money for one playoff game or why Paramount+ leveraged the champions league. It makes sense too.

As far as the hot take machine ESPN and Fox are stuck in the min-max style situation that the hollywood studios are now. They're so risk averse and trying to cut costs where ever they can so they'd rather lean into the "biggest" names screaming bullshit and paying them outlandish numbers rather than have a steady stable of "mid-tier" respectably paid folks. So why not have Stephen a Smith scream for 13 hours of the day? But yeah the landscape for the channels is rather bleak. I mean them killing ESPN classic tells you a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1672376984859492353?s=20

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i like Max Kellerman as a boxing guy and thought he did fine on ATH when I watched that in like, god drat, i just looked it up, 2002-2004. but yeah if you're gonna get me even with clips you kinda gotta be a psycho. he seems like a fine straight man.

the issue is that the executives seem to not have the ability to tell the difference between a genuine entertaining weirdo like SAS or Francesa compared with just yellers or weirdos like Cowherd/Bayless and others. they need to really get someone in there who appreciates and loves the freaks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Clearly he was not a fan of SeaQuest DSV, which posited the exact opposite take.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sash! posted:

Clearly he was not a fan of SeaQuest DSV, which posited the exact opposite take.

If SAS saw a talking dolphin he'd shoot it himself without hesitation.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1674434058565353472

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1674598270390218752

well then

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

apparently there's going to be 20 on-air layoffs at espn today

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

such as

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1674784185708584965?s=46

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

they are rapidly approaching skeleton crew status for talent, Jesus

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

they are rapidly approaching skeleton crew status for talent, Jesus

expect staffing back up with newer, cheaper people within the next six months is my guess.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Gotta pay Mcafee

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vertical Lime posted:

apparently there's going to be 20 on-air layoffs at espn today
Jalen Rose, Jeff Van Gundy, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johnson so far

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

expect staffing back up with newer, cheaper people within the next six months is my guess.

Yeah that or just hiring independent contractors on per-event pay, especially for play by play and color

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SuzyKolber/status/1674825386050437130

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wow, this one is kind of shocking, she always was "wow it's a big ESPN event" to me.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
At this point I assume the only true ESPN lifers are Berman and Linda Cohn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crazy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
She finally plans on kissing Joe Namath.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't care if ESPN is strugg a ling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1674844792046460928

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mel Kiper clips a cigar, pours a neat Johnny Blue, and toasts his final victory over his rival

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Steve Young was also reportedly let go

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Was surprised about Jalen Rose getting let go, but I also didn't know they'd let Jacoby go at the end of this year.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

They dumped Matt but kept that boring dunce Tim Hasselbeck?

:ughh:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

General Dog posted:

Was surprised about Jalen Rose getting let go, but I also didn't know they'd let Jacoby go at the end of this year.

If they had gone with Bill Simmons, they probably could have gotten a good chunk of the Spotify deal

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

non-layoff news

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1674875881162940420

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

After a Nebraska game years ago, my cousin goes "is that Todd McShay?" I'm drunk and did the "Todd! Todd! Todd!" bit as a joke he'd respond to it.

Turns out he was RIGHT behind me. And incredibly annoyed. Whoops!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dunno much about Ashley Brewer as a Sportscenter host but it's pretty brutal for her to be let go a week before her wedding

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i like Max Kellerman as a boxing guy and thought he did fine on ATH when I watched that in like, god drat, i just looked it up, 2002-2004. but yeah if you're gonna get me even with clips you kinda gotta be a psycho. he seems like a fine straight man.

the issue is that the executives seem to not have the ability to tell the difference between a genuine entertaining weirdo like SAS or Francesa compared with just yellers or weirdos like Cowherd/Bayless and others. they need to really get someone in there who appreciates and loves the freaks.

Kellerman also was absolutely on a TEAR in the best way during the summer of the BLM protests. Just..nail on head, repeatedly.

Indirectly, SAS got him fired because there was a stretch when Max tried to have legitimately heavy discussions and he kinda made SAS look goofy, they effectively put Max in a death spot, and here we are.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Kellerman also was absolutely on a TEAR in the best way during the summer of the BLM protests. Just..nail on head, repeatedly.

Indirectly, SAS got him fired because there was a stretch when Max tried to have legitimately heavy discussions and he kinda made SAS look goofy, they effectively put Max in a death spot, and here we are.

I usually caught the last 30 min or so of the max, k will, and keyshawn morning show. I grew to really like the "real" talk about being in the leagues and I thought they had good chemistry just riffing.

I wonder who ESPN will replace them with.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't know how so many people listen to that kind of stuff all the time

It's always some inane debate, every day, until the end of time

Some of us have desk jobs and just need background noise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Listen to the LeBatard Show instead

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Listen to the LeBatard Show instead

Dan LeBetard has always seemed infinitely more annoying to me than anything you'd see on First Take.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dan LeBetard has always seemed infinitely more annoying to me than anything you'd see on First Take.
The show is basically the anti-hot take show and is extremely self-aware

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes it’s really bad

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s an acquired taste. I was super into it for a while but fell off around the time they left espn. Some of the two main hosts bad tics and impulses have gotten waaaaay worse since they moved to a web only format.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Game Theory has been cancelled after 2 seasons

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s an acquired taste. I was super into it for a while but fell off around the time they left espn. Some of the two main hosts bad tics and impulses have gotten waaaaay worse since they moved to a web only format.

To me that sounds like Actual Hell. I'd sooner be stuck mouth agape at the badness of a thousand Kendrick Perkins takes

It always felt to me like a couple steps away (i.e. problematic-ness) from basically being a sports shock jock show. Maybe that's just literally the energy they give off and has no vibe in reality but it always gave me fairly serious "Bubba The Love Sponge or Mancow but toned down and also sports" energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It was really bad.