Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

cat botherer posted:

It's easy to say that.

And to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

once again we must look to Mike Judge to understand the American psyche:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPzJrSIjh8

An updated version would include an insane person firing their gun through their windshield at something that made them mad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wemgo posted:

sevierville may be a situation of low sample size bias or whatever. considering the $ numbers especially lol

isn't it like a bedroom suburb of Knoxville?

Tennessee is suddenly really popular lately because of rightoids deciding to move there, this might be a knock-on effect of that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Air BnBs are becoming magnets for personal injury lawsuit scams where guests would claim to have gotten injured at various properties and then come back with a PI lawyer looking to tap into the Air BnB liability insurance plan. Property owners and Air BnB face a choice of dealing with a massive nuisance lawsuit that may or may not go their way or just letting the insurance pay out.

I suspect no one on this righteous forum is an Air BnBer, but if you are, be careful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nexous posted:

think everyone gave up at endgame. that was enough movies and I’m a fan and I just don’t care anymore

and well they should have. It was the natural stopping-point for a grand narrative arc

a lot of the recrimination about how there's "too much capeshit" or however you want to phrase it has to do with the fact that they told a story, and ended it, and then they just kept making more

the quality of the individual movies barely matters at this point, which is why you can get outliers like Guardians 3 being really good while also seeing Quantumania or Secret Window fall flat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

it’s incredible that you have to clean it

did it start like that ?

no, it was originally more like a Craigslist for actual Bed n' Breakfast places that you'd see by the side of the road. I stayed at some amazing legit BnBs in new zealand back in like 2012 (connected through airbnb), just like an old granny cooking us these giant breakfasts in bed and hooking us up with tons of food at a cottage. it was amazing and pretty reasonably priced for the whole thing that was comparable to actual bed n breakfasts, like ~$100-150 a night. there's not an expectation to clean up a real BnB, though obviously they'd probably like for you not to steal everything or wontonly break everything.

then it started to become more a landlord fake hotel platform where people are renting out their house or ADU or buying condos to list on airbnb, then became more obnoxious karen landlord demanding everyone clean up because muh profit

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jun 28, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cat botherer posted:

My Karen neighbor who runs an airbnb (owns two adjoining houses) cornered me and talked at me for like 10 minutes today about how some people rented the place and there was two more people than there were supposed to be and blah blah complaints blah blah various greviances blah blah some homeless people blah blah holy poo poo I don't give a goddamn gently caress :negative:

I will never forget my roommates and I would walk away from another roommate's girlfriend and the game was to see how far away / how far up the stairs you could get before she would stop talking and sometimes you could keep the conversation going well after breaking line of sight.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

it’s incredible that you have to clean it

did it start like that ?

i mean i remember getting one in like 2016 and it was literally just an extra bedroom in some guy's apartment. and as an alternative to getting a hotel for one night for an out of town wedding, it was cheap, it was closer to the place we needed to get to, it seemed like a smart concept.

But, like all things, it can't just be that for long. It's gotta keep growing and getting bigger, and then that attracts the attention of people who already own rental properties and go "hey why would I settle for $2000/month in rent when I could make three times that renting it as an Airbnb for $200/night?" without considering that they're not gonna be able to rent it out every single day of the month, that people treat short term rentals with way less care than they treat somewhere they're actually living, and oh yeah a global pandemic that chokes the tourism industry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

with beach rentals you always have to clean up after yourself but you don’t have to like clean the kitchen

but they have super short turnarounds all on the same day

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i think I would be too horribly embarrassed to leave a REAL mess for someone else to clean up, but I've heard airbnb stories where people get yelled at for leaving trash in the trash can lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
airbnbs here in the Philippines, at least in my experience, manage to stay relatively pleasant because you can hire a caretaker/housekeeper to maintain the property and clean and restock it in-between clients, whereas a lot of the problems in the West (as far as I can tell) stem from the fact that a lot of that work is offloaded onto the client

this is not an endorsement of the business model, but rather a commentary on how it relies on cheap, exploitable labor in order for the owner to remain an absentee landlord

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
anyways if you stay in a hotel, don't forget to leave a tip for the cleaning staff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

whereas a lot of the problems in the West (as far as I can tell) stem from the fact that a lot of that work is offloaded onto the client

this is not an endorsement of the business model, but rather a commentary on how it relies on cheap, exploitable labor in order for the owner to remain an absentee landlord
eh. even in america a good, maybe majority, percentage of airbnbs these days all outsource management/cleaning as well to some big gig-hotel management company because landlords don't want to clean toilets after all, that's beneath them.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

What's going to happen to home values when these glorified hotel rooms go on the market?

Who am I kidding? Number go up!!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

Tennessee is suddenly really popular lately because of rightoids deciding to move there, this might be a knock-on effect of that.

it's dollywood

but also the blue ridge/smoky mountains have been a spillover spot for florida snowbirds going on 3 decades

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I'm sure the Airbnb landlords don't want to do it but I bet the main reason they offload it on the customer is that the landlord lives hours away

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I'm sure the Airbnb landlords don't want to do it but I bet the main reason they offload it on the customer is that the landlord lives hours away

yup

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

airbnbs here in the Philippines, at least in my experience, manage to stay relatively pleasant because you can hire a caretaker/housekeeper to maintain the property and clean and restock it in-between clients, whereas a lot of the problems in the West (as far as I can tell) stem from the fact that a lot of that work is offloaded onto the client

in the USA they charge hundreds of dollars tacked on in "cleaning fees," yet you are left with detailed instructions to deep clean and it's dirty on arrival from previous guests.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

alright, I’ll bite. where is all this cash coming from? is it just mountains of debt being shoveled into the furnace?

For Europe, it's the one-two punch of them sanctioning their main supplier of energy and low value commodities (Russia) and the US draining industrial investment from Europe to the US (IRA). This one-two punch is also happening to the Asian vassals of the US. The dynamic this time however is the Asian vassals destroying their exports to China while simultaneously being forced to invest in US facilities. In other words, it's the US draining their allies dry to sustain them vampire-like.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

in the USA they charge hundreds of dollars tacked on in "cleaning fees," yet you are left with detailed instructions to deep clean and it's dirty on arrival from previous guests.

this is probably a year or 2 out of date, those added fees probably like 30% higher now.

dont forget the money the hosts make also gets cut in half on their side too, not just price gouging on the guest side

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

love to pay money for the experience of coming home from college and having to mow the lawn and the kitchen

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

it is legit kinda weird to think about 2019, it feels like a whole different hazy lifetime ago

:yeah:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Xaris posted:

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse that lets them reboot villains and dead people back to life by engaging a multiverse

The comic books do that all the time. They resurrect everyone in the books. Thanos has been killed at least two times and is still plotting. I think the X-men even have a mutant who has resurrection powers now.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i wanted to avoid airbnb but the hotels in the area ill be staying at soon werent much better. loving sucks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not only that, but it's an hour's commute driving personal vehicles, necessitating hypervigilance the entire time to avoid becoming a post-consumer meat smear. If there was actual functioning public transit in this blasted hellscape, it'd probably be a lot less of a burden on the mind. Not only do you not have to spend your own personal attention to avoid dying, but you could potentially, like, do stuff while commuting. Work, reading, even playing a video game on your phone or something.

also the average new car payment is > $700 a month

at some point in time, like childcare, it becomes working so you can afford to go to work

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

quote:

In Houston, Applesway Investment Group bought four dated apartment complexes with nearly $230mn in floating rate debt beginning in 2021, hoping that it could raise rents. But it could not cover its payments after rates rose. Lender Arbor Realty Trust foreclosed on the properties in April.

Let them burn.

Apr 7, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

quote:

In Houston, Applesway Investment Group bought four dated apartment complexes with nearly $230mn in floating rate debt beginning in 2021, hoping that it could raise rents. But it could not cover its payments after rates rose. Lender Arbor Realty Trust foreclosed on the properties in April.
Let them burn.

It's awesome that this poo poo gets fawning coverage while the media is in full homeless genocide mode.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1673860065135058944?s=20

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine being richer than god but still getting goaded into literal fights.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
his "trainer" said in the post of them "sparring" that he thought the world be better off if Mark and Elon didn't fight so this all seems like a planned PR thing to say "no see look I'm training, I'm really doing it!" and just hope it fades from people's attention

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wait I thought Elon Musk worked 18 hours a day how does he have time for MMA trainging?!?!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait is the fight actually happening? lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

too bad both of them are too much of pussies to fight jeff bezos's roided-out rear end

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Whoever loses should be stuffed into a goversub and dumped in the Atlantic.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

wait is the fight actually happening? lmao

in my opinion, I don't think it will happen. I would bet like $20 on it. I'm not going any higher than that tho, I've learned my lesson about trying to predict that something incredibly fuckin stupid won't happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
didn't Elon get his mom to stop the fight

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Where are the leftoids moving these days?

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

didn't Elon get his mom to stop the fight

That’s elons alt account

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Where are the leftoids moving these days?

nowhere, they can't afford to move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think most office workers would prefer the cubicle over the open plan hotdesking situation that is appearing these days

God I would LOVE a cubicle rather than the high-tech open bay barracks situation I have now.