Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I quit Shameless when Fiona left and I quit Homeland when Quinn was killed off. I feel pretty good about those decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im a Virgo is so weird and awesome

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Episode 6 of The Bear season 2 sure is something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is that something Emmy bait?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ruddiger posted:

Is that something Emmy bait?

That is one of the things.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
It's Emmy bait - it's twice as long as surrounding episodes, it has a ton of kind of big name guest actors, and it's at times heated as gently caress. But the guest actors are really great, the episode informs all of the main characters and the whole season, and it's very well acted, edited, directed. I don't even want to spoil who shows up because it's kinda fun seeing the parade.

So yeah, Emmy bait, but it's loving good. I don't want to watch it again for a while but I'm glad I watched it. I think your experience will be highly affected by your family life in your past, but I found it emotional without similar experience.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

veni veni veni posted:

Im a Virgo is so weird and awesome

I need to check this out, I love Sorry to Bother You

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

watching an old, very low budget (even for UK TV) BBC show called Sapphire and Steel.

I think I saw an episode on a public television station in the nineties, completely without context, just this weird, extremely slow and boring show that felt like Twilight Zone mixed with The Avengers (the 60's TV show) I guess.

Anyway, it's free streaming and sorta offputting, very self-serious.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Weeds was my first experience with that I think. but every showtime show I've seen has followed that pattern

been watching Warrior and its pretty sweet

Yea I enjoyed warrior. It did tail off a bit but not as bad as the typical showtime series. Isn’t there a new season coming out fairly soon?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

RCarr posted:

Yea I enjoyed warrior. It did tail off a bit but not as bad as the typical showtime series. Isn’t there a new season coming out fairly soon?

Warrior is a Max series (it was originally on Cinemax, not Showtime), and yes it is coming back soon.

e: soon as in Thursday

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 28, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Glottis posted:

It's Emmy bait - it's twice as long as surrounding episodes, it has a ton of kind of big name guest actors, and it's at times heated as gently caress. But the guest actors are really great, the episode informs all of the main characters and the whole season, and it's very well acted, edited, directed. I don't even want to spoil who shows up because it's kinda fun seeing the parade.

So yeah, Emmy bait, but it's loving good. I don't want to watch it again for a while but I'm glad I watched it. I think your experience will be highly affected by your family life in your past, but I found it emotional without similar experience.

You could watch it as a short film and be hugely affected

It's not like ohh you gotta watch three seasons and listen to the companion podcast and everything just to enjoy the thing

But of course you'll get way more out of it if you'd seen the other episodes of The Bear.

But you don't NEED to have watched them and that's what's amazing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nightmare Cinema posted:

You watch all of it. Ever last drop.

Do Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces between S2 & 3.

drat good coffee.

Yep, it's this - it's gotta be this.

I only watched Twin Peaks a couple of years ago but it absolutely consumed me for awhile. It was every bit as good as everyone told me it was, and then some.

A big chunk of season 2 is not very good (compared to the rest of it, anyway), but even when it's kinda bad, it's still Twin Peaks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/hbecerraLATimes/status/1674034866231611392

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's not like ohh you gotta watch three seasons and listen to the companion podcast and everything just to enjoy the thing

But of course you'll get way more out of it if you'd seen the other episodes of The Bear.

There are also a couple of minor setups in that episode that pay off later in the season.

Maybe that is why this season felt good. The writers didn’t get lazy and just tell the audience things. They went through the effort to show some of the backstory that made the emotional hits really hit. It helped to make the people feel real, not just levers to move the main character and plot along.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jumping into Season 2 Episode 6 of a narrative show with no context is a weird thing to do. Also people should just watch The Bear because it's a great show...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Jumping into Season 2 Episode 6 of a narrative show with no context is a weird thing to do. Also people should just watch The Bear because it's a great show...

And with the exception of that particular episode it is a 30 minute show, so you are not in for a huge time commitment. 8 episodes in season 1 (4 hours) and 10 in season 2 (5.5 hours due to a single hour long episode). 9.5 hours total.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I just watched the most recent episode of From, the series on MGM+, and all I could think at the end was, "Oh my god if they'd ended a season of Lost like that, there would have been SO much screaming and I think it would have broken the internet. :laffo: I'll spoil it for anyone who wants to know: Jim's wife goes into a magic tree to help the creepy, ghost children, ends up at a tower, goes to the top of the tower, and discovers it's actually a lighthouse. The little boy in white is there, says something like, "this is the only way" and pushes her out the glass. She falls to the ground, wakes up in a hospital, and the doctor says "some hikers found you passed out on a trail". When I explain it, it sounds absurd, and it was, but I'm so hooked because the series is so very creepy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mcmagic posted:

Best show of 2023, I'm calling it with six months to go

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's very much in my top 3 along with Barry and Succession so far. There is a very big gap after those this year.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

mcmagic posted:

It's very much in my top 3 along with Barry and Succession so far. There is a very big gap after those this year.

The Other Two's new season has been fantastic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Deadite posted:

The Other Two's new season has been fantastic

I'm in the middle of season 1 and I like it alot. It just got canceled today haha.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

gently caress lmao

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

I'm in the middle of season 1 and I like it alot. It just got canceled today haha.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-other-two-canceled-at-max-1235525619/

gently caress. Apparently there were allegations of a toxic writer's room

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I was really sad when I saw that it was ending, but a bit surprised when it turned out to be because the showrunners are major assholes and have had a bunch of complaints from the writers and crew and even got put on leave for a bit.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

My only complaint (I am only up to episode 7 so far), is I haven't liked the Claire subplot so far (mainly episode 4) but overall, a big step-up from season 1.

2023 has killed it episode wise. The Last of Us 'Long, Long Time', The Bear 'Fishes', and Succession 'Connor's Wedding' are all peak television. I think 'Connor's Wedding' is still my favorite episode of TV this year but 'Fishes' does come close. Both are about perfect to me, but it is just hard to beat what Succession this year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Aww The Other Two rules and I'm sad to hear all the bad stuff

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

quote:

The irony that a satire of ego, ambition and malice in the entertainment industry was allegedly plagued by the very things it was lampooning was not lost on those involved. “There’s a lot of Chris and Sarah in the show … I think a lot of their frustration comes from not being on-camera,” says one insider. “These are two people who started off as improvisers. This is a show about people who are hungering for fame. Their friends and colleagues became well-known. … It’s a lot like the show.” Adds another show source about the show’s toxic culture being an open secret in the industry: “Other writers tell stories about The Other Two writers’ rooms like other people tell ghost stories.”

decent ending imo, a little too meta but hey its 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Sounds like a good premise for a new show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm forcing myself to do one episode of The Bear a day or I'd watch the whole thing in one sitting and I just watched 7 and I liked it better than 6. Better use of a guest star IMO too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I'm forcing myself to do one episode of The Bear a day or I'd watch the whole thing in one sitting and I just watched 7 and I liked it better than 6. Better use of a guest star IMO too.

I watched it in a whole day and no regerts. Does anyone watch a movie in small segments over the space of days or weeks?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Does anyone watch a movie in small segments over the space of days or weeks?

I accidentally watched all of the Transformers animated movie on YouTube this way. I just wanted to watch the prologue with Unicron coming in from the void and devouring a planet (best part of the movie) and somehow ended up watching the entire thing over the span of a week. Currently doing more or less the same thing with Space Adventure Cobra.

I’m not sure I actually could watch these movies in one sitting though; I would zone out and lose interest

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I watched it in a whole day and no regerts. Does anyone watch a movie in small segments over the space of days or weeks?

I usually do. It isn't optimal but it's better than seeing no movie at all. Usually get an hour of watching at a time, so 3 nights for a 2h30m movie is common.

Pre COVID I used to watch movies on my phone on the train, like 45 minutes one way, then 45 minutes the other, then finish before bed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im about to fire up my third session of the new avatar movie

Yeah I watch movies in segments all the time tbh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Started s2 then said gently caress it and now I'm rewatching s1 before continuing. Lol there are Easter eggs pointing to s2 in the first episode (the sketch of a restaurant with a bear on it, the song that plays at end of the first ep of s2 being the song that plays in the beginning of s1)

This show is gonna reward multiple viewings.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

The irony that a satire of ego, ambition and malice in the entertainment industry was allegedly plagued by the very things it was lampooning was not lost on those involved. “There’s a lot of Chris and Sarah in the show … I think a lot of their frustration comes from not being on-camera,” says one insider. “These are two people who started off as improvisers. This is a show about people who are hungering for fame. Their friends and colleagues became well-known. … It’s a lot like the show.” Adds another show source about the show’s toxic culture being an open secret in the industry: “Other writers tell stories about The Other Two writers’ rooms like other people tell ghost stories.”

You know, it kind of makes sense. I don't know what the writer's room was like in seasons 2 and 3, but I remember hearing about who was there in season 1, and it was a who's who of queer comedy. There is a whole generation of gay comedians all getting famous all at about the same time, and going on to do movies, TV shows, comedy, specials, etc, and they were all there. Whereas Chris and Sarah have been thoroughly and decidedly behind the scenes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It was a good series finale I don't need another season it was fully satisfying and now that I've heard all this awful poo poo about the toxic culture I definitely don't need any more. Good show. Good ending. What more could anyone wish for?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Silo season 1 just wrapped up. I found it very enjoyable and if you're invested in the story then I think you'll enjoy the finale a lot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Weeds was my first experience with that I think. but every showtime show I've seen has followed that pattern

been watching Warrior and its pretty sweet

Probably has something to do with the rise of the miniseries Limited Series

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Finished The Bear S2.

As a fellow sigma male who avoids romantic/sexual attachments in the pursuit of glory, this was a refreshing watch and confirmation to continue keeping it in my pants :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Can someone who has peacock confirm for me that there's a bunch of older mst3k episodes/seasons on there please? I blew through the ones Netflix has and I want to put even more of it through my eyes and ears

e added "please" because it's polite. Im downloading peacock anyway, worst case scenario I rewatch the office or something

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 1, 2023