Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Man I would not want to be the soldier that shows up without an artillery piece. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Kibayasu posted:

Squelch is some kind of radio term isn't it? A weird thing to put on a evacuation map but maybe everyone is supposed to have a radio.

It means to dampen, or suppress iirc. Though I do suppose it has a onomonopeia-like quality. Especially if you add the "t" to differentiate it. I would not bat an eye if it was used in a comic book. For that it reads like a squashing sound, but in the radio context I can see it mimicking the white noise back-up warnings, as "squelch" is the knob that releases the static.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JSyhFzg.mp4

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

that's dope as hell op

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every new OceanGate detail that comes out just hammers home how inevitable the disaster was

https://twitter.com/ajmarquis/status/1673541407833817095?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Since Guillermo and I started OceanGate we have heard the baseless cries of "you are going to kill someone" way too often. I take this as a serious personal insult."

I mean, he was correct. He way outdid those peoples predictions, managing to kill a full five people.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

Every new OceanGate detail that comes out just hammers home how inevitable the disaster was

https://twitter.com/ajmarquis/status/1673541407833817095?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

It was an "innovative approach" in turning 5 people into a soup like homogenate, I'll give him that.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mods, rename me to "The Submersible Orthodoxy"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

monolithburger posted:

It was an "innovative approach" in turning 5 people into a soup like homogenate, I'll give him that.

Fwiw, I dont think five human beings have been killed so quickly and thoroughly before. Truly a pioneer :rolleyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Man I would not want to be the soldier that shows up without an artillery piece. gently caress me.

"Dog ate it, sir!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

monolithburger posted:

That’s not fair. He turned them into ash and electrolytes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

monolithburger posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

That’s not fair. He turned them into ash and electrolytes.

True, only the Polytron could turn them into soup like homogenate :eng101:

E: gently caress

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol

coke
Jul 12, 2009
just lolling at the likely fact that someone out there might be recreating another titan-like submersible just so they can put in some instruments or raw pork in there and film everything in 1000000 fps while crushing it under similar conditions

and when the footage comes out the family will try to sue and censor it but the world just laughs at the idiotic demise of the ceo again

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

coke posted:

just lolling at the likely fact that someone out there might be recreating another titan-like submersible just so they can put in some instruments or raw pork in there and film everything in 1000000 fps while crushing it under similar conditions

and when the footage comes out the family will try to sue and censor it but the world just laughs at the idiotic demise of the ceo again

:hai: I'm assuming MrBeast and his team are on this

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ironically all the sponsorships and ads will probably make the recreation a lot more profitable than the actual company even if you ignored all financial impact of the last voyage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

coke posted:

Mythbusters already did this with an old-timey dive suit. It was at a fraction of the depth and pressure so it happens much slower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

cw: blood and gore

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Is that a giant circular saw blade laying there?

That's a coffee cup stain, you're looking at Tonka toys!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

Mythbusters already did this with an old-timey dive suit. It was at a fraction of the depth and pressure so it happens much slower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

cw: blood and gore

That’s not blood nor gore. :colbert:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

And by 'fraction of the depth' the poster means like 50 times less.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It’s a pomegranate!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

:golfclap:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Hydraulic Press Channel made a Deep Sea 5,000,000 or whatever they call it to simulate 300 bar of undersea pressure on small items. See what happened to the stuff in the sub folks' pockets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfGP5yUxvY

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

The Hydraulic Press Channel made a Deep Sea 5,000,000 or whatever they call it to simulate 300 bar of undersea pressure on small items. See what happened to the stuff in the sub folks' pockets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfGP5yUxvY

What fps is that camera running at? Whatever it is, in less than one frame it went from round to squish.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

a very literal flamenco

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Vampire Panties posted:

Fwiw, I dont think five human beings have been killed so quickly and thoroughly before. Truly a pioneer :rolleyes:

Literally the Juicero of submarine design. Expensive, needlessly "tech enabled" and produces a fine low pulp juice.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Vampire Panties posted:

Except for when America dropped nukes maybe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Juicero was overenginneered to hell and back. It was a very high quality piece of machinery and a hell of an electronically controlled press system.

Like seriously google some juicero breakdowns. They’re nothing like some hacked together off the shelf poo poo like this sub. This is more like tesla using home depot corner molding to hold critical components in place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

tesla using home depot corner molding to hold critical components in place.

The best part about that was that Tesla used different materials to hold the components.

They didn’t stick to one type of molding or to molding in general.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently it is really hard to figure out how to repair teslas, not only because they don't let anyone have the service manuals or order parts, but because they don't have model years and they make changes on the fly and they don't document them. you could have two apparently identical models 3 manufactured a few days apart with totally different components in any given system and you'd only know when you opened them up. lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Harry_Potato posted:

Literally the Juicero of submarine design. Expensive, needlessly "tech enabled" and produces a fine low pulp juice.

The Juicero was radically overbuilt and literally no expense was spared on making it as unnecessarily high-quality as they could. It did something *dumb*, but it did it very well and the components inside it were top-notch.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Except for when America dropped nukes maybe

Yeah.. yeah :smith:

If we could have more pioneers in multikilling billionaires, and less pioneers in murdering hundreds of thousands of civilians, that would be great

How long until some brainiac builds another sub?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

apparently it is really hard to figure out how to repair teslas, not only because they don't let anyone have the service manuals or order parts, but because they don't have model years and they make changes on the fly and they don't document them. you could have two apparently identical models 3 manufactured a few days apart with totally different components in any given system and you'd only know when you opened them up. lol

Teslas: built like German tanks

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:nfpa:

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Phanatic posted:

The Juicero was radically overbuilt and literally no expense was spared on making it as unnecessarily high-quality as they could. It did something *dumb*, but it did it very well and the components inside it were top-notch.

Did you see those sticks the added to the controller? Perfectly engineered. They could recover those and use them as the base for a new sub.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/hqyq5eV.mp4

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Lol

“Quit stalling, we’re going clothes shopping whether you want to or not!”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mr. Nice! posted:

Juicero was overenginneered to hell and back. It was a very high quality piece of machinery and a hell of an electronically controlled press system.

Like seriously google some juicero breakdowns. They’re nothing like some hacked together off the shelf poo poo like this sub. This is more like tesla using home depot corner molding to hold critical components in place.

yeah but some core concepts were all hype, which lead to it's failure. just like that sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

In both cases, it turned out rather easy to squeeze out pulp, when customers were assured that wasn't the case.