Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Taear posted:

I picked up Violet and feel disappointed in it. I've only played Blue and SWSH (I don't really do handhelds) and gently caress Violet feels almost like a mod to another game. It's janky and empty and ugly with weird mechanics.
When they told me "Go any direction and do these three tasks" I went towards the titans first and the gym that happened to be near them (Grass) was roughly the level I was. The next few were too. I assumed "Okay, it's open world so everything must be scaling roughly to my level"

Turns out I was just lucky and now most stuff is insanely low level. I just did the bug gym as my 6th and it's all level 14. And why are the gyms all ugly office buildings?

Terastrallize is also kinda poo poo compared to gigantamax. You get shiny and have a weird hat on, oh okay.

I did know it was janky and a bit weird but people seemed pretty enthused about it even outside of that but so far it's just kinda "there".

I had kind of a similar thing happen with all Pokemon being much lower level. So I boxed most of my team and just caught a bunch of new guys to use until they caught up to the level of my other guys. By the end of the game I had a rotating team of 13. I actually really liked it cause I would always wait until the third game came out to put together of a team of Pokemon I wanted to use. Now with the DLC, there isn't another game to wait for, so I just got to use all my favourites on the first go around.

The hat thing is kinda dumb, but I like terastalizing much more than Dynamax, mechanically. The type change makes it more interesting than just "Pokemon big now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I don't really want them to be harder, it's more that they sold it as "go anywhere and do anything" when really it's a specific path you're meant to follow. Which is fine I guess, but god that first team star base (Fire was my first) was so hard and took so long and I thought that was on purpose instead of me happening to go there a bit too early.

At least with Gigantamax I felt like I had to do it back, like it was a big event that we both had to participate in. I don't really bother Teraing my pokemon because I'm killing everything in one hit anyway, why do a big unskippable animation for it?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Taear posted:

I picked up Violet and feel disappointed in it. I've only played Blue and SWSH (I don't really do handhelds) and gently caress Violet feels almost like a mod to another game. It's janky and empty and ugly with weird mechanics.
When they told me "Go any direction and do these three tasks" I went towards the titans first and the gym that happened to be near them (Grass) was roughly the level I was. The next few were too. I assumed "Okay, it's open world so everything must be scaling roughly to my level"

Turns out I was just lucky and now most stuff is insanely low level. I just did the bug gym as my 6th and it's all level 14. And why are the gyms all ugly office buildings?

Terastrallize is also kinda poo poo compared to gigantamax. You get shiny and have a weird hat on, oh okay.

I did know it was janky and a bit weird but people seemed pretty enthused about it even outside of that but so far it's just kinda "there".

Nah I agree with you. I finished Violet but it's by far my least favorite game. Yeah there's an open-world but you can't do anything in it, few of the new mons interest me, the battles feel slower and boring compared to previous games, and maybe in online play Terastalizing is a bigger deal, but in the single-player it just feels like it's just there to make the battles longer and waste my drat time.

I liked SWSH better and actually spent a decent amount of time making a few teams for online battles, but I just immediately put down violet after seeing credits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

duck trucker posted:

waste my drat time.

Legitimately I do not understand why I can't skip animations or bits of dialogue
The animations aren't even interesting, I don't need to see them!

Related to the open world thing I was wondering why all my crystal fights were one star and it turned out you only get 3 star and beyond after doing some gyms. I feel like it should tell me that? In fact honestly I feel like the game pitches the 3 paths almost as separate things, an actual choice, when really you're doing them all at once. Which I'm totally fine with - but why pitch it the way it does??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Open worlds are largely bad so I can respect a game that decides not to scale things, it keeps stuff a bit more interesting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the lack of scaling is fine and the open world is a big step forward from the incredibly dead corridors of SwSh but they could've put a difficulty ranking on each gym/base/big mon so you knew what order the game expected you to tackle them in. I'm not even asking for numbers here, even stars could've worked.

SV are still really good and I'm glad they existed, hopefully the next games will be a bit more technically competent but they still had a lot more innovation, creativity and just fun than I expected after the sheer mediocrity of SwSh.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There's something exciting about wandering into an area where the monsters are 20 or 30 levels higher then you are, not to mention that people generally complain about the games being too easy so this provides an interesting surprise for first playthroughs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Every time people said the games were easier I just point to GSC Whitney/Clair or just Cynthia in general.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
My main gripe with Violet is still how badly optimized it is. This is worse than pre-Plat gen IV, it's just tiring to play.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea when I fight enemies in the water at the top left of the map the game slows to a crawl, it's like playing a PC game on minimum specs.

Zuzie posted:

There's something exciting about wandering into an area where the monsters are 20 or 30 levels higher then you are, not to mention that people generally complain about the games being too easy so this provides an interesting surprise for first playthroughs.

I never had this experience because I went east to the Titan and for most of the game things were my level until I started pulling ahead. There's been one fight where I was underlevelled and that was the fire star lady, even then it was only by one level. It definitely made it challenging but kinda...tricked me into thinking the whole game was like this and it wasn't a happy accident.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In a game like this, you either have some sort of scaling, or you don't make it full-on open-world. No scaling in an open world does nothing but allow you to do stuff in the wrong order, resulting in some stuff being insultingly low-level by the time you find it, or whoops, you wandered into an area with stuff 30 levels above you, SHOULDA LOOKED IT UP, STUPID.

I also wish to reiterate my hatred for forced experience share. Keep it in the games by all means, but give me an option to turn it the gently caress off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Water is definitely an issue, rain on water makes it sluggish. That and the Grass gym test.

Outside of that it seems to mostly run fine.

That said, I still like the game, it vastly improves on most aspects from SwSh and has one of the better stories in a Pokemon game (admittedly, stories before maybe BW2 were pretty bare bones).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yes, and I would like to keep playing after the story to complete the pokedex, but the performance just pushes me away. It's so tedious. And it's not just rain, it's all weather, like the sandstorm that sweeps over the water town (:psyduck:), that tanks the framerate like no other.

Still like it and probably will buy the DLC, but this time I will pay close attention to performance. SwSh managed to improve on that with DLC so I kinda have hopes for Violet.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

My main gripe with Violet is still how badly optimized it is. This is worse than pre-Plat gen IV, it's just tiring to play.

I know they wouldn't have time to work on it because they have to finished the DLC. But I wish they could hire an outsourced team to make some kind of optimization patch to fix it or something. Or have them work in tandem with the main team to make an update that goes out free when the DLC releases to fix the main game. I think SwSh's DLC areas ran a little better (but I'm probably just glorifying the experience in mymemory). So maybe that will at least be a little better again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know the jankyness made me really mad the first few hours but I guess I got used to it?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Flip side, I had a blast with the jank and open world nature of the game. From Los Platos, my path took me across the waterfalls, teleporting through ball-throws, into a group of Lv.20 Pokemon. The Lv.33 Salazzle was my first boss fight catch, followed by the Lv.50 Leafeon near the summit. After a few hours of some of the hardest non-legendary catches in a Pokemon game in ages, the rest of the game was pretty fun, circling around the map, seeing how much I could fill the Pokedex. Teamed up with a friend to help me with teleporting through the southwest cave, luring Pokemon close enough for me to throw the ball at and initiate combat. (I didn't know about the exterior path, though that was an amusing discovery after the fact.) I think my team was in the 60s-70s by the time I finally returned to Mesagoza, to see how Nemona and her two Pokemon team was. Sure was funny seeing her explain Terastallizing after having caught several dozen of those Pokemon.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I had some of the absolute worst jankiness in the first few hours, besides the crashes the worst bit was where you hunt the Sunfloras in the maze before the grass gym leader. It was so choppy it genuinely made me nauseous, I'm admittedly somewhat sensitive at times to motion sickness in games but that shouldn't ever even be a consideration in a Pokémon game.

Besides running better, I'm hoping that the DLC adds areas that feel more lived in. Arceus and ScarVio were a one-two punch that brought me back to really enjoying Pokémon again after being a bit burnt out for a few years, but I'm still missing the sense of place built by the admittedly small town that was still full of cute sidequests and memorable characters.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Kikas posted:

And it's not just rain, it's all weather, like the sandstorm that sweeps over the water town (:psyduck:)

As a desert dweller I can confirm the sandstorms do not go away if you build fountains and pools in your town

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lorak posted:

Flip side, I had a blast with the jank and open world nature of the game. From Los Platos, my path took me across the waterfalls, teleporting through ball-throws, into a group of Lv.20 Pokemon. The Lv.33 Salazzle was my first boss fight catch, followed by the Lv.50 Leafeon near the summit. After a few hours of some of the hardest non-legendary catches in a Pokemon game in ages, the rest of the game was pretty fun, circling around the map, seeing how much I could fill the Pokedex. Teamed up with a friend to help me with teleporting through the southwest cave, luring Pokemon close enough for me to throw the ball at and initiate combat. (I didn't know about the exterior path, though that was an amusing discovery after the fact.) I think my team was in the 60s-70s by the time I finally returned to Mesagoza, to see how Nemona and her two Pokemon team was. Sure was funny seeing her explain Terastallizing after having caught several dozen of those Pokemon.

I think if you're down with sandbox games where you make your own fun you can do a lot with SV
I'm really not though. I'm very goal driven and playing this kinda rubs wrongly against it because of how it's laid out.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have about 700 hours in scarlet and it’s probably my favorite Pokémon game, shiny hunting finally becoming accessible was a game changer for me

I also just like alfornada so I hang out there a lot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Taear posted:

I think if you're down with sandbox games where you make your own fun you can do a lot with SV
I'm really not though. I'm very goal driven and playing this kinda rubs wrongly against it because of how it's laid out.

That's totally fair, it's definitely not for everyone. I love it though. My favourite Pokemon game since I don't even know when. Ruby maybe back in the day.

Infinite Fusion is giving it a run for its money though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Every time people said the games were easier I just point to GSC Whitney/Clair or just Cynthia in general.
GSC Clair was a loving nightmare. "Hope you love grinding, there's nothing in the wild anywhere near her level!"

HopperUK posted:

That's totally fair, it's definitely not for everyone. I love it though. My favourite Pokemon game since I don't even know when. Ruby maybe back in the day.

Infinite Fusion is giving it a run for its money though.
Infinite Fusion is so much more fun than S/V; I'm seriously on my 4th back-to-back playthrough, though at this point some parts are a bit tedious like "oh god I have to do the SIlph building again" but the fact that there's so many different modes keeps it fresh without having to resort to a bunch of self-imposed ways to make it challenging. It really has convinced me that making Pokemon 3D was a mistake given how much more effort they could have been putting into the gameplay vs making the world and assets, though I do acknowledge that if they hadn't, people would be screaming for them to do it with every single release.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

GSC Clair was a loving nightmare. "Hope you love grinding, there's nothing in the wild anywhere near her level!"

Her ace also had no weaknesses, for all intents and purposes and was 4x resistant to the starters people were actually going to use

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Her ace also had no weaknesses, for all intents and purposes and was 4x resistant to the starters people were actually going to use

Let's not forget that the cave next to her town had Ice Pokemon. How thoughtful, you might think!

Except that Kingdra isn't weak to Ice and Piloswine is weak to Water. And Sneasel and Jynx are too fragile to take a hit.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SV also really made me notice that every new battle mechanism they add, Megas, Gigantimax, Teras, they lock the majority of the actual interesting/new forms to either the post game or high-level raids that you have to hope you can find for a mon you want and actually beat. Like why advertise all these cool new things but for the player just doing the single player be stuck with the 2-3 that are given to you through the story only?

SV was a little better since you could see some mon around the map that had different teras, but having the default for any other just be their main type is super boring and lame.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

duck trucker posted:

SV also really made me notice that every new battle mechanism they add, Megas, Gigantimax, Teras, they lock the majority of the actual interesting/new forms to either the post game or high-level raids that you have to hope you can find for a mon you want and actually beat. Like why advertise all these cool new things but for the player just doing the single player be stuck with the 2-3 that are given to you through the story only?

SV was a little better since you could see some mon around the map that had different teras, but having the default for any other just be their main type is super boring and lame.

But Tera crystals are regularly scattered throughout the map if you want to roll the dice at different Teras? Like they're the most accessible new mechanic and aren't even that high level til post-game.

And same-type Tera is still good since they magnify the power of your STABs. And sometimes going to a mono-type can be beneficial for shedding a weakness.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Let's not forget that the cave next to her town had Ice Pokemon. How thoughtful, you might think!

Except that Kingdra isn't weak to Ice and Piloswine is weak to Water. And Sneasel and Jynx are too fragile to take a hit.

Was Sneasel even in the ice cave? IIRC they are only in Mt. Silver.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was Sneasel even in the ice cave? IIRC they are only in Mt. Silver.

They're in the ice cave in Crystal.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

But Tera crystals are regularly scattered throughout the map if you want to roll the dice at different Teras? Like they're the most accessible new mechanic and aren't even that high level til post-game.

And same-type Tera is still good since they magnify the power of your STABs. And sometimes going to a mono-type can be beneficial for shedding a weakness.

Yeah SV is better about it, but I don't want to sit through all the long animations, I just want the tera types to be random on any guy you catch. That way I can actually interact with the mechanic at a low-level, not have to wait until I unlocked all the travel mechanics so I can run around the map to hopefully find one I want.

And yeah for online maybe the mono-type is beneficial, but for someone just playing the single player I want to be able to really see what switching types is like. I'm like the earlier poster, I barely used it because for most of my guys it didn't change my type and just dragged the battles on longer.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think throwing a pokeball at enemies trying to catch them, not accidentally kill them AND not kill my own guys is also extremely frustrating.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Taear posted:

I think throwing a pokeball at enemies trying to catch them, not accidentally kill them AND not kill my own guys is also extremely frustrating.

It's not that but take the tera raids. I gotta find a raid I want to do, hopefully at a level I can do it (remember my complaints about just playing single player for the first time), then sit through the opening animation, beat the monster, sit through the animation of their hat breaking, then sit through the animation of my PokeBall getting all crystaled up. It's fine for the first few times but eventually it's just.. come on do I have sit through all this every time I want to actually have an interesting tera type?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

duck trucker posted:

It's not that but take the tera raids. I gotta find a raid I want to do, hopefully at a level I can do it (remember my complaints about just playing single player for the first time), then sit through the opening animation, beat the monster, sit through the animation of their hat breaking, then sit through the animation of my PokeBall getting all crystaled up. It's fine for the first few times but eventually it's just.. come on do I have sit through all this every time I want to actually have an interesting tera type?

No I know what you mean I'm just saying that independently
You talking about unskippable stuff made me think about it

I never terastralise because most enemies die in one hit and I just don't see the point of wasting my time with the animation
Also it looks bad

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the terastalizing music is good tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like tera because tera-normal dragonite ftw

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Tera doesn't hold a candle to Megas but it's a way better gimmick than Z-moves or Dynamax.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I'm just frustrated at the how unfinished S/V feels as a final product, especially given that there's been downloadable content added on top after the game has been released. It still feels six months or so underbaked, and I know that it's not going to get any better than this since it still sold incredibly well... :sigh: They can do better, but there's no longer a profit motive for them to do so it seems.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

dervival posted:

I'm just frustrated at the how unfinished S/V feels as a final product, especially given that there's been downloadable content added on top after the game has been released. It still feels six months or so underbaked, and I know that it's not going to get any better than this since it still sold incredibly well... :sigh: They can do better, but there's no longer a profit motive for them to do so it seems.

I mean the DLC is in lieu of a Crystal/Emerald/Platinum 3rd version or Black2/Ultra Moon enhanced remake, and in that respect they're actually throwing us a bone instead of going "lol look at all these idiots buying basically the same game again" though I'd bet anything they did a bunch of market research first and found out that since Switch games are just that much more expensive than DS games, there's just that many more people who said they'd never buy a 3rd version at that price point, but an extra $30 for DLC a year later, yeah, why not. It's something they were always going to do, regardless of the quality of the game at release.

Which isn't at all to refute your argument that the game feels underbaked and unfinished. It extremely does. Just look at how few buildings you can actually go inside and how few people you can actually talk to that do anything.
I actually really like how they made the Pokemon Centre/Mart into a kiosk you don't have to go inside, making that much fewer transitions. But to drag Infinite Fusion into the conversation again, there's so many buildings to explore in that game that, I dunno, it's fun, I like going into every house and talking to every person and getting an occasional reward for doing so. That world feels populated. Paldea feels fake in comparison, like here's a ton of buildings but you can't go inside, they might as well be painted cardboard boxes and here's a bunch of people that won't interact with you, they might as well be mannequins.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'll just echo others that Paldea just seems way too spare and fake. I love a lot of the new pokemon, but the changes to the battle system and the overall gameplay loop took a massive hit. It just isn't as fun as it could've been.

I've played more retro Pokemon in the last six months than I have Violet.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SV are the second best selling games in the series, so we'll be with open world main series games for a while. Maybe we'll get a breather with BW remakes or another Legends/Let's Go game next year, but until Pokemon stops with yearly releases the games will continue to look and play like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What were the changes to the battle system? Like just terrastalising?