Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Sylink posted:

Nah it's more about saying they did something about lazy government workers. The richest Republican areas in Ohio have tons of remote work and they don't really want to get rid of it either.

It's important to know that Ohio is a trifecta GOP state and they essentially have nothing to do except come up with corruption schemes.

Yeah, Columbus became a huge remote worker hub during COVID since it's a huge supply chain center (10 hour truck drive to both NYC & Chicago) and theres also a huge amount of brain drain from the chuds in power doing chud stuff

I don't see them loving the only real avenue for growth in the state & tax population (remote workers fleeing more expensive cities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

these things are all made up. they're completely fictional. they're there to make people think anyone can succeed

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1674006017582026753?s=20

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

if I had my way I'd live in the cheapest place I could find and drive a twenty year old Civic

"And yet you participate in society..."

- Cartoon peasant with steepled fingers under chin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh ok... well then

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had a $15k tax bill and she became a slumlord off a $7k tax credit. There's no justice in the world.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
🤔
https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1674044245529747456?t=ABYFb11rYnYgJ3DVyS74TQ&s=19

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Rip Testes posted:

Why does she think she needs 35 rentals?

these things are all made up. they're completely fictional. they're there to make people think anyone can succeed

If you guys haven't read Evicted by Matthew Desmond, you really should. In an effort to understand the kind of people who rent out to the working poor, He follows another woman who basically took this path. In a lot of low income neighborhoods, you can buy up properties for very little money and, if you're able to fix it up, it can be pretty lucrative. The buildings are so cheap compared to the rents (and you're dealing with tenants with few options) that once you know how to get the necessary renovations done, you can just keep buying up properties and making more income. You make more money than you can with a normal 9-5 job.

The landlord in Evicted ends up spending tons of her time in housing court pushing through evictions and it's just a part of life for her.

The parts of the book dealing with what life is like in trailer parks made me pretty mad.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Imo you should not "be greedy when others are fearful" but "don't be greedy because it is bad"

But that's not what Warren Buffett said!!!

Apr 7, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

If you guys haven't read Evicted by Matthew Desmond, you really should. In an effort to understand the kind of people who rent out to the working poor, He follows another woman who basically took this path. In a lot of low income neighborhoods, you can buy up properties for very little money and, if you're able to fix it up, it can be pretty lucrative. The buildings are so cheap compared to the rents (and you're dealing with tenants with few options) that once you know how to get the necessary renovations done, you can just keep buying up properties and making more income. You make more money than you can with a normal 9-5 job.

The landlord in Evicted ends up spending tons of her time in housing court pushing through evictions and it's just a part of life for her.

Is that the book with the lady in Milwaukee

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Is that the book with the lady in Milwaukee

Yup.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

everyone please continue to buy cheerios so the general mills factory in buffalo stays in business

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't work there but some mornings if the wind is blowing right it smells like cheerios and it's delightful

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I basically shop now by show me whats on sale, all brands are basically the same except for bespoke poo poo I don’t want to buy anyways

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Koirhor posted:

I basically shop now by show me whats on sale, all brands are basically the same except for bespoke poo poo I don’t want to buy anyways

yeah but you'd be doing me a solid and i did say please, so

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

breakfast is a fake meal anyway

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/caitlynlynch6/status/1673215622753456129

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

breakfast is a fake meal anyway

the average american would benefit greatly by reducing their caloric intake by 800-1000

Apr 7, 2003

Koirhor posted:

the average american would benefit greatly by reducing their caloric intake by 800-1000

The video attached to this article is basically a Tim & Eric sketch

https://www.wtae.com/article/atrias-closed-ohara-township-fox-chapel/44273360

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Consolidated Ed posted:

-in most states, it's legal for your boss to fire you for any reason or no reason, with no notice.
in all states, with the sole exception of montana, the default employment contract is that the employee can be fired for any or no reason

the only exceptions are things such as cases of racial discrimination that the employer somehow wrote down on paper and it came up in court, refusing to commit an illegal act, etc.

being in a union can modify the principle of at-will-employment, but only ~6% of the private sector is unionized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment
https://www.ncsl.org/labor-and-employment/at-will-employment-overview

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The rest of Amazon is a dumpster fire since becoming ebay so it's ironic that the very first thing Amazon was good at (online bookstore) is now fully enshittened too

I was looking for a lat pulldown bar, something that is extremely simple as it is just a tube with a tab with a hole welded on so you'd think there would be dozens of options, but they're all either total dogshit garbage (many of them break down into three parts with push pins??? Why the gently caress would you need this? Also they're made with thin aluminum that would fail the instant you used it, not to mention they're super short) or they're $100+ dollars. Ended up buying a good brand directly off the brands site for a reasonable price.

Everything on Amazon now is made as cheaply as possible in ways that are questionable, and also made as small as possible. I saw a treadmill on there that photoshopped someone running on it to like 50% their normal size to make the treadmill look larger. In reality it was so small you'd need to walk/run one foot in front of the other else risk stepping off the belt.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Jun 28, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everyone please continue to buy cheerios so the general mills factory in buffalo stays in business

i havent ate cereal in years. burn baby burn!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

There was a long Behind the Bastards segment analyzing all the AI-generated children's books flooding Amazon. It doesn't make you hopeful for the future of the human race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HWQXotK1DU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VWD9TVSQ-g

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

The rest of Amazon is a dumpster fire since becoming ebay so it's ironic that the very first thing Amazon was good at (online bookstore) is now fully enshittened too

Also ebay turned into Amazon, it's all Buy-It-Now poo poo

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

School Nickname posted:

Article is paywalled, but where in the gently caress was she living to buy a house for four figures and how bad is the neighborhood? You couldn't get a shitheap pile of rubble in Ireland for that much. The cost of the land alone would eclipse what she spent on the first house.

There’s a good number of places like that in the US, even if the land is worth more by its own because it costs money to demolish and haul away the condemned building so that’s factored into the price.

Anyways LOL at bitter goons eager to discredit the POC girl boss single mom who bootstrapped her way to a better life :smuggo:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s really amazing how fast the internet is destructing

Apr 7, 2003

UKJeff posted:

Anyways LOL at bitter goons eager to discredit the POC girl boss single mom who bootstrapped her way to a better life :smuggo:

If you believe that's real you're a total sucker, these things pop up every day all the time with the intent of creating a narrative that if you aren't successful, it's your fault.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the model economic minority

Apr 7, 2003

Single mother of three starts a real estate empire with change she found in her couch cushions (if your failson hasn't done this yet it's because he's a gently caress-up, not because the system is bad)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

School Nickname posted:

Article is paywalled, but where in the gently caress was she living to buy a house for four figures and how bad is the neighborhood? You couldn't get a shitheap pile of rubble in Ireland for that much. The cost of the land alone would eclipse what she spent on the first house.

Didn't someone just share a link earlier in the thread about a woman who was able to get a derelict house for 1 GBP in Liverpool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7-Qq-41M7Q

I didn't catch that she was an online dominatrix until others in this thread brought it up.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i, too, stubbornly refuse to die

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/ProfitOfMammon/status/1674048907926548480

Pretty much sums it up.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

fork DNS

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

No kidding. I've stopped buying cereal. It's my happy food and I've stopped buying it because it's a ripoff and they've discontinued or ruined my favorites. gently caress em.

Apr 7, 2003

My rats love cheerios

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's not really economics although job related but i think there is a very clear generational divide where people under around 40 simply do not answer any message that isn't a text or slack dm

i see people complaining on LI about recruiters and hiring managers not answering intro messages and i think it's due to this because everyone doing said recruiting and hiring has the emotional maturity of a toddler

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

triple sulk posted:

it's not really economics although job related but i think there is a very clear generational divide where people under around 40 simply do not answer any message that isn't a text or slack dm

i see people complaining on LI about recruiters and hiring managers not answering intro messages and i think it's due to this because everyone doing said recruiting and hiring has the emotional maturity of a toddler

if you are calling my phone it better be a goddamned emergency

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
No June hike because of the banks
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1674058711587799043?t=R3RwSr0g4VVhiyvOzuJPIw&s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I don't answer my phone because it's pretty much always a scam - you can send me a loving letter if it's important

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wasn’t that exactly Thiels goal ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol imagine being afraid of banks.