Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This CNN story about Biden rebranding himself as the steward of a healthy economy struck me as funny for various reasons, not in the least bc even Biden himself doesn't seem too sure of it.

quote:

The White House is selling ‘Bidenomics.’ Is anyone buying?

President Joe Biden’s top economic advisers believe the worst effects of inflation are in the rear-view mirror. They are increasingly confident the economy is heading for a soft-landing, averting a recession. And a growing number of economists are beginning to agree.

There’s just one problem: most Americans are convinced the economy is in bad shape, and they blame the president.

Enter “Bidenomics.”

Searching for a solution to Americans’ negative perception of the economy and a vehicle to take credit for an economy that is increasingly trending in the right direction – all as Biden’s reelection campaign gets underway – the White House is embracing the term. “Bidenomics” will be at the heart of the president’s economic speech on Wednesday in Chicago, which aides have described as an opportunity for Biden to lay out his economic vision for the future while also articulating how he believes his economic policies have delivered so far.

“Bidenomics is rooted in the simple idea that we need to grow the economy from the middle out and the bottom up – not the top down,” reads a bolded section of a memo distributed by two of the president’s senior advisers, Anita Dunn and Mike Donilon, earlier this week.

That Dunn and Donilon are messaging experts and not economists is a telling sign of the origins of “Bidenomics” as partly a branding exercise. Aides are hopeful a more concerted effort to convince Americans of the economy’s strength – and Biden’s own role in managing it – will improve his political standing.

White House officials have been preparing a more comprehensive economic messaging push for months and the decision to launch now reflects the White House’s settled confidence that the economy’s positive trajectory is sustainable. The debt ceiling impasse also needed to be resolved and Biden’s key economic legislation needed to begin to be implemented.

Now, officials see Bidenomics as an opportunity to tie together the president’s economic accomplishments, the vision behind those policies and a growing economy under one term.

How much a new name can help in that effort remains to be seen. Biden has been traveling the country for the better part of two years talking about his efforts to boost manufacturing, invest in new infrastructure and create job training programs for Americans without college degrees.

Though polls show Americans broadly support elements of Biden’s economic agenda – a point Dunn and Donilon made in their three-page memo – a wide swath of Americans continue to widely disapprove of how he’s handled the economy: 66%, according to a CNN poll conducted by SSRS in May.

That same poll showed most Americans view the economy as lackluster, with 76% describing it as in poor shape, up from 71% who felt that way in March.

Asked about the disconnect between increasingly positive economic data and Americans’ perceptions of the economy, Biden’s chief economic adviser Lael Brainard pointed to the “record economic uncertainty” that Americans have faced over the last two years as the country emerged from the pandemic and experienced the knock-on effects of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“What the president would say is people need to see it. They need to see it in their communities. And that’s what his policies are all about,” Brainard said in an interview. “As Americans see that and experience it, the president is confident that they are going to feel much more optimistic about their own economic futures.”

While the president’s top messaging advisers home in on the “Bidenomics” term as a way to lift up his economic record and contrast it with Republican economic policies, the prominent push also runs the risk of Republicans co-opting it to describe the not-so-bright spots in the current economy or to tie the president to the still-looming possibility of another economic downturn.

“It’s really not about a term,” Brainard said when asked about how Republicans might co-opt it. “It’s not about a word. It’s about an economic plan that the president has put in place that is in contrast with trickle down (policies).”

“Listen, even if the economy is doing well, the Republicans will say it’s doing poorly,” Dunn, the president’s senior adviser, said on MSNBC earlier this week. “So, we’re not going to spend a huge amount of time worrying about them.”

Attaching a “-nomics” to the end of a president’s name has been routine since President Richard Nixon. As often as not, it’s used as a pejorative by opponents; nothing helps simplify something as complicated as a bad economy than a buzzword.

No president has been more associated with a “-nomics” than Ronald Reagan, whose “Reaganomics” described a supply-side, trickle-down approach that has largely defined Republican economic policy for the last 40 years.

Biden has made little attempt at disguising his distaste for that approach; he’s made a part of his stump speech a takedown of policies he insists will never benefit middle-class, blue-collar workers.

“Not a lot trickled down to my parents’ kitchen table when I was growing up,” Biden has said in various forms over the past several years (never mind that Biden was in his 40s during Reagan’s attempt at trickle-down economics).

Bidenomics, at least in the White House’s definition, is as much identified by what it is not as it is by a particular set of policies or ideas.

“If Reaganomics was based on the idea that if you cut taxes for the wealthiest corporations, the wealthiest people in this society, and that at some point, the remnants of those will trickle down to the middle class and the working class, Bidenomics is the exact opposite. Bidenomics says that the way to grow the economy in this country is you grow the middle class,” Dunn said on MSNBC.

Biden himself seemed surprised this month that his surname had achieved “-nomics” status.

“I didn’t realize I had Bidenomics going,” he said during a news conference with his British counterpart on June 8, suggesting he’d learned the term in the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

Ten days later – as the White House put the final touches on the forthcoming messaging push – he hadn’t seemed to achieve any more clarity on what, exactly, this theory of his was.

“We decided to replace this theory (trickle-down economics) with what the press has now called ‘Bidenomics,’” he said during a political rally with union members in Philadelphia. “I don’t know what the hell that is. But it’s working.”

But when faced with the question of whether “Bidenomics” can be the answer to changing public perception of the president’s record, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre offered a frank reply: “We’re going to try. Right?”

It's brave of them to rely on economic branding with two out of every three people disapproving of his handling of the economy and three out of every four people perceiving the economy as poor.

They could probably use some cram sessions to make sure the president can describe it in a 3-pt elevator speech, though, lest he keep talking about the hardship of his family during the Reagan years or how he doesn't know what the hell Bidenomics means.

Also, I've been trying to think of a more hapless press secretary during my lifetime than Jean-Pierre. Granted, her job is a thankless one, and she was preceded by an experienced smooth-talker, but I don't think I've ever seen her fielding questions & not felt sorry for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

This CNN story about Biden rebranding himself as the steward of a healthy economy struck me as funny for various reasons, not in the least bc even Biden himself doesn't seem too sure of it.

It says he isn't sure about the term "Bidenomics" and not that he isn't sure he wants to message about the economy.

This was the full quote and follow-up question:

quote:

Biden: "Let's get it straight. The first time it was used was in the Wall Street Journal. Okay? And I don't go around beating my chest 'Bidenomics' so the press started calling it Bidenomics."

Q: Do you not like it sir?

Biden: "No, I like it, it's fine."

quote:

Biden: "I didn't come up with this, but I'll run with it. If Bidenomics is the most jobs created in a first term by a President ever, the strongest labor market in a generation, real wage gains for the bottom 50%, and inflation down by 50%, then that is Bidenomics."

It seems like they are officially embracing it as of today, though:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1674076443607719943
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1674066408903155719

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I can see some people caring as they are proud of their ancestry ( Tammy Duckworth is a member of the Daughters of the Revoulutionary War ) but others it's distant enough - seven generations removed! - that it becomes kinda meaningless. Like, 2 out of 128 ancestors of that generation owned people.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Comparing US and EU racism doesn't really work because the situations are different. The US has a much larger minority population, and has thus had to grapple with the presence of minorities and the legacies of old racist policies in ways that the EU largely hasn't.

While European countries have a long and storied history of racism, the people they were racist against were foreigners who, at most, were brought under their control as subjects in their overseas empires. When the empires collapsed, few of the non-white people had moved to the ruling country, and thus the legacies of their racist policies weren't really something they had to directly face. For example, as far as British whites were concerned, the long-term impacts of their policies in places like India or South Africa were someone else's problem; the domestic white population was never really forced to confront that legacy head-on because the people they had oppressed for so long were now nominally-independent foreigners. The European colonizers committed all sorts of atrocities overseas, but for the most part, those atrocities stayed overseas where they were easy to ignore and forget.

In the US, most (though not all) of the racist atrocities happened domestically, and that domestic non-white population stayed here afterward. The descendants of slaves still live here, often not too far from the descendants of slaveowners, and both groups are very politically active and deeply affected by the legacies of slavery and white supremacy. For good or for ill, the US hasn't been able to forget or dismiss its history of racism, and it's been forced to actively grapple with both the long-term impacts of racism and the continued presence of racist agitators pushing for more racism. That has resulted in a very different relationship with racism compared to European countries.

This is a very good post. I have always felt that racism and the legacy of slavery is original sin of American politics, it is the fault line underlying everything, it is the fuel that powers the engine of our politics even now, centuries later. Felt like we were maybe trying to come to an actual reckoning with this in the post civil rights movement era but now with Trumpism, the embrace of white grievance and immigrant and CRT bashing we are running away from that reckoning as fast as we can.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

'Bidenomics' seems like a failure, as a term, if he didn't coin it himself. At least Stephen Colber' was the one who actually used 'truthiness' first and got it into the dictionary. A shameful word play. :eng99:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Who's enthusiastic about Joe Biden? Or John Kerry? Or Al Gore? Obama had a nice little brief wave there for a minute and seemed transformative and then, once elected, decided to appoint Tim Geitner and his gang to run the economy the very first week. That was the end of Hope and Change.

If by enthusiasm you mean 80 million people voted for Biden, I’d say a bunch? Gore and Kerry may have lost but they found a lot more of the >23% of the electorate Thompson suggests just evaporated in 72 than McGovern did.

If by enthusiasm you mean some arbitrary metric by which Hunter S Thompson wouldn’t have a burr up his rear end about politics anymore if he were alive today, good luck.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 28, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

'Bidenomics' seems like a failure, as a term, if he didn't coin it himself. At least Stephen Colber' was the one who actually used 'truthiness' first and got it into the dictionary. A shameful word play. :eng99:

I think we are destined to have every President's last name turned into some policy portmanteau and for the -gate suffix to be applied to literally any scandal for the rest of history.

The meaning also doesn't always stay the same as when it was originally introduced. Obamacare started out as a pejorative, but eventually became the default name for it and they had to switch to "socialized medicine" or "government health insurance." "Trickle Down Economics" was originally the positive name for it and people against it tried to make it "voodoo economics" at the time, but eventually "trickle down" became the pejorative name for it and "Reaganomics" became the default "good" word for it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I read it more as a 50 year old example of Democrats running a progressive primary campaign, winning the nomination and then immediately tracking towards the center. McGovern more or less came out of nowhere, tapped a vein in the leftist electorate, beat a few "big name" front runners, spoke to things a lot of people cared about and then appeared to abandon all the policies that got him the nom in the first place and disappoint the people that got him there.

Candidate Obama comes to mind. Also, some of the wishy washy bullshit surrounding the second Iraq war during the 2004 and 2008 elections. Democrats always seem to capitulate and tack towards the center the further they get while Republicans just increasingly move right.

I think if I'm gonna go down (or even get crushed), I'd rather do it based on the things that galvanize my base. Republicans have figured this out are also facing the reality that their angry, hateful base is delivering diminishing electoral and alienating centrists but, on the other side, we have a party that mostly gets elected based on not being as much of an rear end in a top hat as the other person. Not on any kind of real enthusiasm.

Who's enthusiastic about Joe Biden? Or John Kerry? Or Al Gore? Obama had a nice little brief wave there for a minute and seemed transformative and then, once elected, decided to appoint Tim Geitner and his gang to run the economy the very first week. That was the end of Hope and Change.

Ideally, what you'd want is for the things that galvanize your base to also have wide appeal generally. If you go for things that galvanize your base and lose badly, that's pretty bad. It means that not only is your base not big enough to sustain a win, but also that basically everyone outside your base hates the stuff your base loves.

Who's enthusiastic about Joe Biden? Apparently, enough people for him to solidly beat Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump, both of whom were known for their highly enthusiastic bases but lacked wider appeal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rappaport posted:

I'm honestly surprised that -nomics hasn't long taken its place alongside -Gate as "political phrasing that has been run into the loving ground and mashed into a fine paste"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1673836540860981249

Check the tape!

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1674050797540130820

He did everything but say "A lot of people say this is the greatest actus reus anyone's ever seen, and it's true,"

Your Honor - when those wiretaps recorded me saying "I'm going to go deal drugs to children now" I was lying to look good in front of my buddies. I actually didn't have any drugs. I was going to volunteer at a soup kitchen.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have a tape from the early 80s of my brothers and me doing a fake news broadcast that includes the phrase “Reaganomics is working” if you’re curious about how fresh and bold this strategy is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's become a mainstream Republican position to endorse bombing Mexico or sending in the military to deal with fentanyl smuggling and the border crisis.

This is a pretty crazy idea, but it is apparently the most popular Republican policy plank among the general public according to NBC News.

https://twitter.com/JustinTLogan/status/1674060782437298183

Anti-woke wars are very popular among the GOP base, but not so much among the general public.

Banning abortion after 6 weeks is somewhat popular with GOP primary voters, but extremely unpopular with the general public.

Cutting social security is divisive among GOP primary voters, but extremely unpopular among the general public.

Sending troops to the border/Mexico to stop fentanyl smuggling is the only major GOP platform policy that gets a solid majority of support among the general public.

quote:

Poll: Sending troops to U.S.-Mexico border is popular. Other GOP policy planks are struggling.

The latest NBC News poll tests 11 different proposals and issues Republican presidential candidates are campaigning on so far — and the recent push on using the military at the border is resonating with general election voters, though they are down on several other high-profile policy planks.

The most popular position tested, both among all registered voters and Republican primary voters, is deploying the U.S. military to the Mexican border to stop illegal drugs from entering the country, with 55% of all voters and 86% of GOP primary voters saying they’d be more likely to vote for a candidate supporting this position.

It was the only proposition that received majority support from poll respondents, and candidates are already promoting platforms similar to this on the campaign trail. On Monday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was at the the Southern border rolling out his agenda, which included the use of "deadly force" against migrants suspected of carrying drugs into the U.S.

The least popular position is cutting Medicare and Social Security to ease the federal deficit. Several candidates have ruled out touching those programs, while others, like former Vice President Mike Pence, have spoken broadly about long-term changes to Medicare and Social Security. DeSantis, meanwhile, has taken heat over congressional votes in favor of budget proposals that included major changes to Medicare — but more recently said on Fox News, "We are not going to mess with Social Security as Republicans."

Just 12% of all respondents say they would be more likely to support someone who wants to reduce entitlements, with just 19% of GOP primary voters saying the same.

A position associated with DeSantis and his ongoing feud with Disney — threatening "to penalize or financially harm businesses that make statements on LGBTQ and other issues that they do not agree with" — fared almost as badly with general election voters. Just 12% of respondents said that made them more likely to support a candidate, while 70% said less likely.

Meanwhile, a majority of GOP voters say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who supports providing more funding and weapons to Ukraine.

While the only proposition that receives majority support from all respondents was about sending troops to the Southern border, a variety of the other policy positions earned support from a majority of Republican primary voters.

Seventy-six percent of Republican voters say they would be more likely to support a candidate who says we should not allow K-8 teachers to discuss sexual orientation or gender identity with students, and 70% would they would be more likely to vote for someone who supports states banning transgender adolescents from taking puberty-blocking medication.

Both of these positions are already law in several states led by Republicans.

Additionally, 40% of Republican primary voters say they would be more likely to vote for someone who says that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 presidential election. Twenty-nine percent of GOP respondents say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who said the same.

A key split on abortion
A slim majority of GOP primary voters, 52%, say they would be more likely to vote for a candidate who supports banning abortion after the first six weeks of pregnancy.

But this position finds little favor among general election voters, including the subset of voters in swing states. Fifty-five percent of swing state voters say they would be less likely to vote for someone who supports banning abortion that early, while 31% of swing-state respondents say that position would make them more likely to vote for someone.

DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban in Florida earlier this year, but he hasn't yet outlined a proposed federal policy. Others, like South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, have supported a 15-week abortion ban on the federal level, though Scott has also said he'd support the most conservative legislation on abortion that Congress could pass.

The only policy platforms that are more unpopular with swing state voters than banning abortion after six weeks are believing that Trump won the 2020 election; saying that they would pardon all rioters who overtook the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021; threatening to financially harm businesses over statements on LGBTQ and other issues; and reducing Social Security and Medicare to address the federal deficit.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
They can't even keep drugs out of prisons, but surely more punitive measures and actual war will fix the problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just shoot the fentanyl as it tries to cross the border. Bing bong so simple.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BiggerBoat posted:

I read it more as a 50 year old example of Democrats running a progressive primary campaign, winning the nomination and then immediately tracking towards the center. McGovern more or less came out of nowhere, tapped a vein in the leftist electorate, beat a few "big name" front runners, spoke to things a lot of people cared about and then appeared to abandon all the policies that got him the nom in the first place and disappoint the people that got him there.

Candidate Obama comes to mind. Also, some of the wishy washy bullshit surrounding the second Iraq war during the 2004 and 2008 elections. Democrats always seem to capitulate and tack towards the center the further they get while Republicans just increasingly move right.

I think if I'm gonna go down (or even get crushed), I'd rather do it based on the things that galvanize my base. Republicans have figured this out are also facing the reality that their angry, hateful base is delivering diminishing electoral and alienating centrists but, on the other side, we have a party that mostly gets elected based on not being as much of an rear end in a top hat as the other person. Not on any kind of real enthusiasm.

The thing is the "leftist electorate" is like 15% of voters now. That's enough to be influential within the Democratic party, but someone who campaigns entirely on appealing to 15% of voters is just not a serious candidate.

I don't think there is any possible scenario in which someone who agrees with Hunter S Thompson on policy issues wins a Democratic primary and Thompson says "wow, finally Democratic voters chose a candidate I can support unreserved, bravo Democrats!"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Meanwhile, a majority of GOP voters say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who supports providing more funding and weapons to Ukraine.

Kind of surprised that among all registered voters polled a slight plurality say that a candidate proposing more aid to Ukraine makes them less likely to support the candidate:

Maybe it's a reflection of most voters feeling that the economy is the shitter,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The thing is the "leftist electorate" is like 15% of voters now.

Based on what?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

Just shoot the fentanyl as it tries to cross the border. Bing bong so simple.

Just put a bunch of police officers at the border, as they start to convulse we'll know who has the drugs.

But also, what do people think "the military" would do at the border to stop drugs? Also, it's probably your kids white friend getting people hooked on opioids.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It's become a mainstream Republican position to endorse bombing Mexico or sending in the military to deal with fentanyl smuggling and the border crisis.

This is a pretty crazy idea, but it is apparently the most popular Republican policy plank among the general public according to NBC News.

tbh I doubt that any of the current GOP candidates actually want to bomb Mexico (except for maybe Trump) it's just that the first one who expresses even the slightest hint of pushback on this is gonna get called a wimp by all the others

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

James Garfield posted:

The thing is the "leftist electorate" is like 15% of voters now. That's enough to be influential within the Democratic party, but someone who campaigns entirely on appealing to 15% of voters is just not a serious candidate.

I don't think there is any possible scenario in which someone who agrees with Hunter S Thompson on policy issues wins a Democratic primary and Thompson says "wow, finally Democratic voters chose a candidate I can support unreserved, bravo Democrats!"

You'd be right about Thompson not saying "wow" under any scenario because he's been dead for almost 20 years.

But you'd be wrong to paint him as a 15-percenter lefty.

quote:

Politically, Hunter was a fierce libertarian, a stalwart believer that the individual controlled his or her own destiny. If you trespassed onto Owl Farm — his property — you would get shot at. Period. Although he usually voted for Democratic presidential candidates (he wrote in Dick Gregory in 1968 and pulled the lever for Ralph Nader in 2000), he had limited sympathy for the poor or down-trodden or weak. He was not a bleeding-heart liberal or a U.N. enthusiast. He championed “freaks” and “anarchists,” however, because they had made a conscious decision to rebel against conformity. That, after all, like protesting an unjust war or demanding civil rights, took courage. A believer in social Darwinism, he admired craftsmen and workers who did their job well.

Hunter’s favorite literary technique was running down hypocrisy and giving it the sword. He belonged to no school of thought. He insisted P.J. O’Rourke and Tom Wolfe — both quasi-conservatives — were the most brilliant journalists around. However, his bitter disdain for Big Business and Christian Fundamentalism and Trumped Up Patriotism meant there was no room for him in the Republican Party. He found solace in George McGovern’s humbleness, Jimmy Carter’s tenacity and, of late, Barack Obama’s cunning. And, to my great consternation, he naively romanticized Fidel Castro circa 1959 — the besieged rebel hiding out in the Sierra Maestra Mountains of Cuba — to the bitter end. He believed that politics truly was a blood sport, and his all-seasons political heroes were the Kennedy brothers. Jack, Bobby and Teddy, Washington mavericks all, had a hubristic Massachusetts spirit Hunter embraced as if it were his own. He deemed the Kennedys giants in a playing field of pygmies. Because of this, many mistakenly branded Hunter a “Kennedy liberal”; he was not. He was an NRA member and Patrick Buchanan enthusiast; his favorite all-time motto emanated from the Revolutionary War: “Don’t Tread on Me.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/hunter-s-thompson-contentment-was-not-enough-231836/

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

Based on what?

Sanders and Warren got about 30% combined in the 2020 Democratic primary and Democrats are about half of the electorate. It's easy to make it smaller than that (non leftists might have voted for Sanders or Warren, independents who voted for Biden might be less likely to be leftists) but you can't really get larger unless you think there are a disproportionate amount of committed democratic socialists who didn't vote for the democratic socialist in the primary.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 28, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

James Garfield posted:

Sanders and Warren got about 30% combined in the 2020 Democratic primary and Democrats are about half of the electorate. It's easy to make it smaller than that (non leftists might have voted for Sanders or Warren, independents who voted for Biden might not count) but you can't really get larger unless you think there are a disproportionate amount of committed democratic socialists who didn't vote for the democratic socialist in the primary.

What about people who live in closed primary states but aren't registered Dems?
Anecdotally speaking, I knew a lot of Bernie supporters who were registered independent (hell, I was one of them)

Hell, I even tried changing my registration so I could vote in the primaries in 2016, but there was always some sort of error that kept it from going through until it was too late.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

As much as "Candidate Obama vs President Obama" gets talked about, he openly ran as the most centristy centrist to ever triangulate and I wouldn't be surprised if more of his voters stayed home in 2010 due to his real policies being left of his campaign (at least as reported in the media) than to the right. Calling that "change" sounds pretty rich from a leftist perspective, but only because the memories have faded of eight years of neocons and the religious right packing the White House.

I mean, it's not like Obama was lying when he ran as a centrist, but he ended up a natural candidate for it since there really wasn't as much of an electorate substantially to his left as there is now, and he was successfully targeting a whole lot of the temporarily embarrassed conservative electorate besides: from all I've seen most of those famous "Obama-Trump voters" of 2016 were lifelong Republicans who soured on Bush when Iraq went south and the economy collapsed. That strategy really isn't as available today, though 2022 suggests you can embarrass some of them into staying home.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

the_steve posted:

I'm honestly surprised that -nomics hasn't long taken its place alongside -Gate as "political phrasing that has been run into the loving ground and mashed into a fine paste"

Probably at least partially because it doesn’t append as well as “-gate.” Imagine trying to say “Bushnomics” seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Sanders and Warren got about 30% combined in the 2020 Democratic primary and Democrats are about half of the electorate. It's easy to make it smaller than that (non leftists might have voted for Sanders or Warren, independents who voted for Biden might be less likely to be leftists) but you can't really get larger unless you think there are a disproportionate amount of committed democratic socialists who didn't vote for the democratic socialist in the primary.

I guess I'd need to know how to define "leftist" in America because I doubt many, or even most, of the people who voted for those candidates consider themselves leftists.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Based on what?

I agree with him, but based on a different set of data. There were polls during the Obama presidency that asked if he was Too Liberal -Too Conservative. The Too Conservative section was always around 15%.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

the_steve posted:

What about people who live in closed primary states but aren't registered Dems?
Anecdotally speaking, I knew a lot of Bernie supporters who were registered independent (hell, I was one of them)

Hell, I even tried changing my registration so I could vote in the primaries in 2016, but there was always some sort of error that kept it from going through until it was too late.

It's assuming that 30% of Democratic general election voters are leftists, so that would include you if you voted for Clinton in the general election. If you didn't vote in the general election you weren't a member of the electorate.

Anyway, "supported Bernie Sanders but couldn't vote in the primary because of registration" isn't going to describe a significant number of people on the national scale, if it did Bernie would have significantly underperformed polls.

zoux posted:

I guess I'd need to know how to define "leftist" in America because I doubt many, or even most, of the people who voted for those candidates consider themselves leftists.

You're probably right, it's an upper bound.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Just put a bunch of police officers at the border, as they start to convulse we'll know who has the drugs.

But also, what do people think "the military" would do at the border to stop drugs? Also, it's probably your kids white friend getting people hooked on opioids.

People just answered the question as military = good and if they have any idea at all about what would happen it’s conservatives getting hype for action movie bullshit.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

KillHour posted:

Your Honor - when those wiretaps recorded me saying "I'm going to go deal drugs to children now" I was lying to look good in front of my buddies. I actually didn't have any drugs. I was going to volunteer at a soup kitchen.
more like "when those wiretaps recorded me saying 'i'm going to illegally sell illegal drugs to children illegally' i didn't actually have any drugs at the time. also how was i to know what i was doing was illegal??"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Garfield posted:

It's assuming that 30% of Democratic general election voters are leftists, so that would include you if you voted for Clinton in the general election. If you didn't vote in the general election you weren't a member of the electorate.

Anyway, "supported Bernie Sanders but couldn't vote in the primary because of registration" isn't going to describe a significant number of people on the national scale, if it did Bernie would have significantly underperformed polls.

You're probably right, it's an upper bound.

Only a small percentage of voters vote in primaries, so that is not really a good way to get a measure of the total population.

Plus, voters are incoherent and bad at self-identification. There was a small percent of primary voters (who are generally more engaged than the average person) who rated Bernie Sanders as more conservative than Biden because Biden backed an assault weapons ban and Bernie had been somewhat pro-gun until recently.

According to Pew, the biggest group of non-voters and swing voters are people who are fairly left-wing on economic issues, but very conservative on social issues. I don't think many of them would call themselves leftists, but they probably would favor much more aggressive tax and spending policies than the average American. They would also be much more pro-life, anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-immigrant, and pro-religion in the public sphere than the average American and definitely the average self-identifying left wing person. So, despite being one of the largest ideological groups in the country, their views are also basically electoral poison and don't really fit in with any modern leftist or conservative group.

Either way, it is kind of pointless to try and calculate the exact amount of people in any self-identification group because there is no 100% clear definition and many people wouldn't self-identify as one even if they did fit the criteria.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Another way to look at it is that while US population increased by something like 65% from 1972 to 2020, Biden vote total over McGovern is about a 180% increase. Those are more stark numbers than trying to quantify how enthusiastic everyone is.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baronash posted:

Probably at least partially because it doesn’t append as well as “-gate.” Imagine trying to say “Bushnomics” seriously.

Trying to say "Bushonomics" would immediately lead to Bushgate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I think we are destined to have every President's last name turned into some policy portmanteau and for the -gate suffix to be applied to literally any scandal for the rest of history.

The meaning also doesn't always stay the same as when it was originally introduced. Obamacare started out as a pejorative, but eventually became the default name for it and they had to switch to "socialized medicine" or "government health insurance." "Trickle Down Economics" was originally the positive name for it and people against it tried to make it "voodoo economics" at the time, but eventually "trickle down" became the pejorative name for it and "Reaganomics" became the default "good" word for it.

Reaganomics is a pejorative for most non regressives.

Also Oceangate has nothing to do with Watergate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lumpy posted:

Trying to say "Bushonomics" would immediately lead to Bushgate.

George HW Bush used Bushonomics in the late 80's.

There is also a rap song by Talib Kweli - which includes guest rapping by Cornel West - about W. Bush's economics plan called "Bushonomics." Sadly, the Kweli/West rap label never took off with the general public.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oceangategate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

Reaganomics is a pejorative for most non regressives.

Also Oceangate has nothing to do with Watergate.

Reaganomics was the term he used and was not a pejorative. Reagan's approval rating has also hovered around 70% for the last 25 years or so. It's definitely not commonly used as a pejorative.

Oceangate was the name of the company. I don't think people were actually saying "Ocean-gate" to mean a controversy in the ocean.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Baronash posted:

I'm disappointed we didn't get "Obamanomics." At least that's fun to say. We could write it in the Obamanomicon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm disappointed we didn't get "Obamanomics." At least that's fun to say. We could write it in the Obamanomicon.

Iä, Iä, Kennedy?

I'm fresh out of references here, there are too many loving political dynasties in the US, and the worst offenders being the god damned Kennedies.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

DeSantis recently announced an immigration policy in which the military would be authorized to use "deadly force" against "cartel operatives" that are "cutting through the border wall". He seems to be suggesting that there's an effective border wall but that Biden is just letting people cut holes in the border wall and freely move through it, and therefore DeSantis is promising to get tough by sending armed men to immediately address any breach, round up the breachers, and kill any of them found with drugs.

There doesn't seem to be anything to it beyond an the familiar old tough-on-crime framing of "start killing suspected drug dealers on sight and soon there won't be any more drug dealers". It's vintage War On Drugs rhetoric. In that regard, there's no real reason to be specifically sending the military to do that (CBP is perfectly capable of shooting people, and they're plenty willing to), but the military has more of a "tough" image and therefore better matches the "get tough on crime" messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velocity Raptor posted:

We did for a while, but it never really caught on in the general parlance. Ron Paul was even involved with one of the books on "Obamanomics."

Interestingly, it was used as both a positive and negative thing: