Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everyone please continue to buy cheerios so the general mills factory in buffalo stays in business

i recently bought cheerios for the first time ever cause i'm trying to cut down on sugar but i'm also horribly lazy at preparing lunches on my WFH days.

eating cheerios is the most soul crushing experience imaginable. not an ounce of flavor or pleasure, and they're not even really nutritious outside of "doesn't include a ton of sugar and fats".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I watched a bit of the clip to get some context. I loved one of the talking heads quotes “This is a basic question. How can you be taxed for something that you haven’t been given yet. Maybe it’s worth something, maybe it’s zero.” In response to unrealized gains.

If you can go into a bank and use it as collateral for a loan at low/no interest, then it should be eligible to be taxed. If the banks feel it is safe enough to throw piles of money around, that should be good enough for the government to get a piece of that action.

But it involves the rich, so it will be struck down and the rich will get richer. And the lower tax income will be a basis to cut social programs, or increase taxes on lower incomes to make up for shortfalls.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lacrosse posted:

The last trip I went on I spent $200 a night in the worst roach motel I've ever seen and I'm so mad about it I haven't gone on vacation since. I'll just stick to tent camping in the woods, for $35 a patch of dirt is higher quality than that poo poo hole I stayed at. I hope it falls into the ocean.

$250 a night to stay at a Rodeway in Fallbrook, CA for a wedding and there were ants all over the place and they reneged on every amenity lol.

Waiting for the day these posts go from "Don't kill yourself, loser :smug:" to "Please don't kill us holy poo poo" :getin:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Orvin posted:

I watched a bit of the clip to get some context. I loved one of the talking heads quotes “This is a basic question. How can you be taxed for something that you haven’t been given yet. Maybe it’s worth something, maybe it’s zero.” In response to unrealized gains.

If you can go into a bank and use it as collateral for a loan at low/no interest, then it should be eligible to be taxed. If the banks feel it is safe enough to throw piles of money around, that should be good enough for the government to get a piece of that action.

But it involves the rich, so it will be struck down and the rich will get richer. And the lower tax income will be a basis to cut social programs, or increase taxes on lower incomes to make up for shortfalls.

The other anchor, who is a very right wing dude' says that lol

So 2 of them agreeable a consumption tax would be best, but it could be bad too because it is a tax.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

skooma512 posted:

Waiting for the day these posts go from "Don't kill yourself, loser :smug:" to "Please don't kill us holy poo poo" :getin:

you highly overestimate americans

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
taxes infringe upon my right to be the most selfish person-shaped dragon in history

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

RadiRoot posted:

haha jesus christ that's dark

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

i recently bought cheerios for the first time ever cause i'm trying to cut down on sugar but i'm also horribly lazy at preparing lunches on my WFH days.

eating cheerios is the most soul crushing experience imaginable. not an ounce of flavor or pleasure, and they're not even really nutritious outside of "doesn't include a ton of sugar and fats".
Skill issue

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

comedyblissoption posted:

property taxes are already existing and implemented wealth taxes in the us btw

You say that like the supreme court answers to some higher power or principles or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hell yeah.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaford-delaware-corporate-voting-llc-trust-elections/

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

The last trip I went on I spent $200 a night in the worst roach motel I've ever seen and I'm so mad about it I haven't gone on vacation since. I'll just stick to tent camping in the woods, for $35 a patch of dirt is higher quality than that poo poo hole I stayed at. I hope it falls into the ocean.

I always just look for a Motel 6 not close to a big city and with an ok review rating.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was gonna say 'pitch a tent in the woods' but a lot of states have already criminalized camping on public land

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Buffer posted:

I don't answer my phone because it's pretty much always a scam - you can send me a loving letter if it's important

lol I just got a call right now from a blocked number and they left a message with my name and address, looking for my stupid uncle I guess. I love living in the cyberpunk future where scammers can just use marketing databases and the phone system is polluted into uselessness and the FCC is just :effort: unless someone cusses on TV.

It might be a debt collector or something, idk, whoever they are, they should be in a mass grave.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

yup lol

again, I suggest c-spam read "what's the matter with delaware" because wow, there is indeed a lot that is the matter with delaware

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

The other anchor, who is a very right wing dude' says that lol

So 2 of them agreeable a consumption tax would be best, but it could be bad too because it is a tax.

I probably should have finished listening. But even then, they just go welp, what ya gonna do?

I am sure there are ways around a consumption tax, even if one got implemented for true luxury goods. Just buy and harbor the yacht overseas, or just lease the yacht for 30 years, or whatever.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

the FCC is just :effort: unless someone cusses on TV.

The Federal Communications Commission is a cut-and-dry example of neoliberalism taking an organization explicitly intended to safeguard the interests of the public and whittling it down to a sharp stick that can only be used to dole out meaningless punishments.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was gonna say 'pitch a tent in the woods' but a lot of states have already criminalized camping on public land

Dispersed camping is a thing but I was put off to it during the early pandemic years because outdoor spaces were overrun. I don't think that's as much of a problem this year.

I do prefer campgrounds but you have to reserve your spot 3-6 months in advance.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Orvin posted:

They already have it in the Internal Revenue Code - it's called the Mark-to-Market election.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eric Cantonese posted:

If you guys haven't read Evicted by Matthew Desmond, you really should. In an effort to understand the kind of people who rent out to the working poor, He follows another woman who basically took this path. In a lot of low income neighborhoods, you can buy up properties for very little money and, if you're able to fix it up, it can be pretty lucrative. The buildings are so cheap compared to the rents (and you're dealing with tenants with few options) that once you know how to get the necessary renovations done, you can just keep buying up properties and making more income. You make more money than you can with a normal 9-5 job.

The landlord in Evicted ends up spending tons of her time in housing court pushing through evictions and it's just a part of life for her.

The parts of the book dealing with what life is like in trailer parks made me pretty mad.

Yeah. I've seen someone do this in Houston, they had 12 properties. Bottom of market rentals are a nasty, lose-lose situation to be in where you work pretty hard to collect from people who don't have much money.

The model only works out if you're buying the houses for cheap, like the $10k + $20k in renovations that the lady in the linked article did, or about $40k-$70k for my coworker that did this in Houston.

Apr 7, 2003

that model probably doesn't work anymore since even the lovely neighborhoods in any sizable city are all expensive

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CONSUMPTION TAX

:byodame:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

that model probably doesn't work anymore since even the lovely neighborhoods in any sizable city are all expensive

Yeah, it stopped working once you stopped being able to buy livable housing units for less than $80k all in.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

skooma512 posted:

American lodging vs everyone else is hilarious. I don't think I spent more than 80 USD a night in England and France, mostly hostels but a couple actual B&Bs/hotels. In the US, everything is at least 100 a night, even lovely Motel 6, including pre-2020.

This is why we don’t travel in the US. Why would I want to pay outrageous prices for mediocre hotels in mediocre places? We save our money for spending outside the US where it goes a lot further and you can stay in nicer places at better locations.

Every time we’ve looked at Hawaii or NYC I say gently caress no. Hawaii is not worth $500 a night on top of expensive food prices and car rental.

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

This is why we don’t travel in the US. Why would I want to pay outrageous prices for mediocre hotels in mediocre places? We save our money for spending outside the US where it goes a lot further and you can stay in nicer places at better locations.

Been posted before but the Disney themed resorts are more expensive than the actual thing they're copying. It's cheaper to go to a real African national park than it is to go to Disney's African Safari resort.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Been posted before but the Disney themed resorts are more expensive than the actual thing they're copying. It's cheaper to go to a real African national park than it is to go to Disney's African Safari resort.

Yeah but the pigs are happy to gorge on the slop so theyre only going to keep growing

Edit my friends wife got so loving mad at him when he said a week at disney with their two kids under 5 wasnt worth 10 thousand dollars lol

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I agree, I feel like we have to take our kids to Disney soon and I’ve seen the prices. It’s more than going to Greece for a month and staying by the beach.

3-4 days at Disney vs a month on the Mediterranean :thunk:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am dreading the fact that my wife really really wants to take my daughters to Disney in something like 3 years, right as my youngest is in kindergarten. I can already tell that it is going to be an incredibly expensive and physically/mentally draining trip.

I just pray that Florida falls into the ocean very soon. I actively root for the hurricanes.

Edit:

Glumwheels posted:

I agree, I feel like we have to take our kids to Disney soon and I’ve seen the prices. It’s more than going to Greece for a month and staying by the beach.

Although if this continues to be the case, I might be able to divert her to something like this. She likes warm, sunny, and beach.

Orvin has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jun 28, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cheaper to go to actual Paris and probably a ticket to that Disneyland vs. going to lovely EPCOT.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol just say no?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

it's gonna be a couple more decades before you can die from the wet bulb effect in real paris though. you can only get that experience in epcot in 2023

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Glumwheels posted:

Promises made. Promises kept?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

No I am not kidding. Unfortunately I do not have everyone at the plant I work in's cell-phone number saved in my phone and frequently get called by those people.

Lifehack: get an out-of-area cell number so it's blatantly obvious when it's just being cloned.

But yeah that sucks when you have to take calls. Has the FCC mandate that providers authenticate source numbers helped at all or is it still just as bad?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Glumwheels posted:

Go watch some of the youtubes on what you have to do in order to stand in line efficiently at Disney. You're going to wish you were dead

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What do they think computer touchers were actually doing during this past 15 year tech boom

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1674077947760906241?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leave it to the DOE to clamp down on the last remaining avenue to instant student loan forgiveness.

Unless they're Parent Plus loans.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Orvin posted:

This is funny as poo poo because if stock is valueless then banks are all instantly insolvent at the stroke of a pen

DO IT.

DO IT.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

FizFashizzle posted:

What do they think computer touchers were actually doing during this past 15 year tech boom

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1674077947760906241?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

that's just being at work

Apr 7, 2003

Got around to reading the article posted earlier in the thread about a Delaware town letting LLCs and businesses vote and they buried the lede - Newark DE had one apartment company manager who used his businesses to vote 31 times.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
yeah I’ve been somewhere between quiet and loud quitting for the past 17 years and got promoted from support->dev->dev manager.

I don’t think this is a new phenomenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Got around to reading the article posted earlier in the thread about a Delaware town letting LLCs and businesses vote and they buried the lede - Newark DE had one apartment company manager who used his businesses to vote 31 times.

Yeah, he was mentioned in the Delaware book. Newark is such a sad college town in general too. It always angers me how much performative bullshit comes out of the University of Delaware. The school is immensely wealthy and does nothing but court rich white kids from NJ and NY.