Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

that's for 14, people seem to be talking about 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol I just noticed that.

11?? I’m surprised those servers are still on!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Truga posted:

i had a habit of just closing my laptop and tossing it in my bag and for years this worked fine

then one time it randomly didn't go to sleep when the lid closed, and when i pulled it out the LCD in the corner with fan had a.. liquid? like appearance and didn't show the picture correctly at all lmao

it fixed itself when it cooled down, but an idle laptop did that poo poo in the ~30 minutes it took me to get home from work, it would definitely cause damage if there was a game running or similar

Subjunctive posted:

A handheld that wakes itself up while in the case/bag sounds like a bad time, especially if there’s a game running.

All of this is just software stuff that the deck can definitely do. IF TEMP >= $WhateverValue THEN Update=0 AND SHUTDOWN

Like, none of this is super difficult and its supremely frustrating that it doesnt do it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That's FFXIV

Beaten like a Tarutaru

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, FFXI still exists, still has people playing, and even works on the Big Deck? Goddamn

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, FFXI still exists, still has people playing, and even works on the Big Deck? Goddamn

Kinda. Some Servers are well populated,some aren't. Windower does work on the Deck,but activating/deactivating Plugins is a hassle so I just moved my installation. The windower launcher doesn't work for me, the hook in-game does.

Apparently the Steam version is better than the SE Store Version to install.

PlayOnline and it's launcher are still kinda bad

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

All of this is just software stuff that the deck can definitely do. IF TEMP >= $WhateverValue THEN Update=0 AND SHUTDOWN

Like, none of this is super difficult and its supremely frustrating that it doesnt do it
Lol I've had a switch turn on and run and it def drained completely and likely killed off some performance because I would carry around a pro controller and it would turn on the switch. I Started to turn on airplane mode with Wi-Fi exempted so it would stop. It's still not that easy and there's risks.

IT WOULD BE NICE to have, but also the machine gets super hot from downloading because it has a number of things that go fast (SD write speed, WiFi radio, etc) so it's not as safe when downloading. I mean the ROGAlly has SD card issues with downloads while it's on it's TURBO MODE setting, and that's not even in the risky "it's in a case and it's getting hotter".

Could they limit download and write speeds while it's sleeping which would allow it to update? Yeah likely, but I don't know if they could do their perfect suspend thing and allow it to download still.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There has to be some better option than "leave it on all day" though.

Basically, if I want it to update, I just need to leave it on while I'm at work. Because after the 50GB elite dangerous update is done, there is a 10GB Sea of Thieves update and a 5GB No Mans sky update coming right behind that.

I feel like "leave it on all day" isnt a good solution either, because it isnt an actual PC, but it has the actual PC problem of having huge loving games that get updates in the 10's of GB. Thank god I cant play call of duty on the Deck

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

PlayOnline and it's launcher are still kinda bad
The most true thing in all of this thread.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Basically, if I want it to update, I just need to leave it on while I'm at work. Because after the 50GB elite dangerous update is done, there is a 10GB Sea of Thieves update and a 5GB No Mans sky update coming right behind that.
Are you playing all of those games at the same time after work? I think part of the issue is trying to have the collection with us (which I def do as well). But I'm ok if I have to wait 5-10 minutes to play Sea of Thieves with friends or something after work, I'll start some food.

I also get away by just having my deck with me and updating AT work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

minusX posted:

The most true thing in all of this thread.

Are you playing all of those games at the same time after work? I think part of the issue is trying to have the collection with us (which I def do as well). But I'm ok if I have to wait 5-10 minutes to play Sea of Thieves with friends or something after work, I'll start some food.

I also get away by just having my deck with me and updating AT work.

I will move from one to the other, yeah. But this is veering into "you're using it wrong" territory, when in reality, it should just be able to update and I (and you) shouldnt have to carve out room in our work day to let the deck pull down updates

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
God forbid you don't touch the Deck for like 4 days and have to come back to it. Turn it back on and just walk away

(Which still sucks rear end, and maybe I made it worse on myself by upgrading my Deck to 1TB too)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I will move from one to the other, yeah. But this is veering into "you're using it wrong" territory, when in reality, it should just be able to update and I (and you) shouldnt have to carve out room in our work day to let the deck pull down updates
I'm not trying to veer it that way but def can see how it happens sometimes with these lines of questions sorry! I was just honestly curious if you were jumping between games much, I tend to stick to one game and play it for hours so I don't mind it as much personally, but I can see others doing a few games in a row. I also would turn on my device every day (a few times) to use it so most large updates weren't all lined up together but that just might be my luck and games I'm playing.

I also need to state that while I understand why (or why I think) it doesn't have the feature for suspended downloading, I would also enjoy having it work, not trying to say that you're wrong and it's bad to want that. It's great on Consoles that support it! Even if there was a literal "Suspend except allow downloads" shutdown option instead we had to use. but Windows Modern Standby does this and end up ruining sleep mode for Laptops fully (having it be the option by default and not a selection when you are powering off/sleeping the deice). I'd hope Valve would offer both styles if they ever added it.

Macichne Leainig posted:

God forbid you don't touch the Deck for like 4 days and have to come back to it. Turn it back on and just walk away

(Which still sucks rear end, and maybe I made it worse on myself by upgrading my Deck to 1TB too)
The number of updates for shaders even if you aren't doing it for a few days still is staggering for me with a large library and playing it often. I might also dodge a lot of bigger updates as I'm playing older games more often.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I usually just start it at home and update or suck it up and update over 5G at work via my phone.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 28, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I haven't looked into it because it just works the way I expect it to but, if I plug it in overnight to download something, when I wake up all the downloads will be done and it will have put itself to sleep. It seems like it holds the sleep timer while you're downloading? idk

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There are separate sleep timers for plugged an unplugged.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah little updates (depending on your internet speed) will complete before it falls asleep, but modern games with massive updates usually dont finish in time.

For a device that gives the user so many options and different ways to use it, its weirdly locked down in this regard

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not on my internet they don't, I'm talking like queuing up like eight hours worth of downloads.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Not on my internet they don't, I'm talking like queuing up like eight hours worth of downloads.

username/post

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
In desktop mode it follows whatever power/sleep settings you want, including never turning off.

Also you can play any game without updating it, or it's shaders when offline (except of course online ones).

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got recs for good podcast/audiobook games? Games still enjoyable without needing sound or heavy reading essentially

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got recs for good podcast/audiobook games? Games still enjoyable without needing sound or heavy reading essentially

Slay the Spire, DOOM2

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Thread favorite Vampire Survivors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Jupiter Hell

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vic posted:

In desktop mode it follows whatever power/sleep settings you want, including never turning off.

Also you can play any game without updating it, or it's shaders when offline (except of course online ones).

I tried changing the power save settings in Desktop mode, because it kept suspending while transferring files via TeamViewer, but the settings changes wouldn't stick.

I changed the settings, hit apply, and if I reopened the settings menu the changes have reverted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apropos update chat, I wish Steam emitted dbus events or the Windows equivalent for things like “update available”, “update started”, “game started”, etc

Would be really interesting to build things that responded to them. Especially if it listened for “start update of X” events. I wonder how much of that is there under the hood for the remote install stuff already…

Also I want a Steam Input editor for Windows or Linux desktop so it’s easier to build and manage complex input configurations. gestures vaguely at DF and Caves of Qud and FFXIV

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Siralim Ultimate

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Thread favorite Vampire Survivors

oh yeah this

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Annath posted:

I tried changing the power save settings in Desktop mode, because it kept suspending while transferring files via TeamViewer, but the settings changes wouldn't stick.

I changed the settings, hit apply, and if I reopened the settings menu the changes have reverted.

Activity Power Settings (second option on the left) > Define a special behavior > Never shut down the computer or let it go to sleep. Do this on your own risk (the risk being forgetting to plug it in and it will run out of battery mid operation)

Edit: You were probably trying to change the "On Battery" suspend session which will always be on. Change it on the "On AC Power" tab which is what you're probably after.

Vic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 28, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minotaurus Rex posted:

All of the suggestions so far have been great, but Motherfucking Powerwash Simulator, my goon.

That's my all-time favourite podcast game. It's nuts how well it works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pikmin 1 is the ultimate chill game for me, thank you for the HD :effort: port Nintendo!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hardspace shipbreaker was great.

But these days Zelda is my podcast game. Just spelunking listening to the last of Ken Liu’s incredible Dandelion Dynasty at the end of the world.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone have any good recs for thumbstick caps that retain the capacitative functionality but also make the analogs a little bigger and grippier? I hate the default stick feel and my caps I've been using are actually for Switch controllers and the cap feature doesn't work through them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They aren't JSAUX, but they look just as good, front covers are available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1p0ltWzKk

https://www.amazon.com/eXtremeRate-...s_li_ss_tl&th=1

sigher fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 29, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have any good recs for thumbstick caps that retain the capacitative functionality but also make the analogs a little bigger and grippier? I hate the default stick feel and my caps I've been using are actually for Switch controllers and the cap feature doesn't work through them.

Self quoting to also add the proviso: not the JSAUX kit. I find most of their stuff to be meh, and the reviews of their stick caps specifically are all terrible.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Risk of Rain 1 and 2, Puzzle Quest, Valheim, No Man's Sky

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 29, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I got the dbrands one mostly for grip as well, and they also keep the touch sensor working. It's not completely perfect and sometimes It seems like the touch stops working but I just pick up my thumb and put it back and it works again. Overall I've been pretty happy with them and I find out incredible more comfortable playing with them on.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 29, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I see the gulikit no soldering hall sticks are on Amazon, but sold by random names like "marvel power" and ZHUFON-US. Are these safe buys over do you need to order direct from gulikit?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you edit controller template/profile names? I madea lot of changes to my controller template which was defaulted to controller with track pad in moonlight, which also means it's not my controller profile for EVERY game I stream. I'd like to just rename it to the specific game and make others titled to other of my desktop games, then I can just manually change to then depending on what I'm playing, buy I can't find a way or option to change just the profile name anywhere.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You have to save it as a new template/profile, I don't think you can change a name once it's been saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Some people are apparently installing SteamOS on the Asus Republic of Gamers Ally.
Very detailed setup:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/the-linux-coders-turning-the-rog-ally-and-other-handhelds-into-steam-deck-clones/