Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Yinlock posted:

and 7 Outis is also crazy

Again this might be a playstyle difference thing, if you clash a ton then making enemy clashes worse is insanely good even if it's "mild". When my team went to town on ch. 2 bosses they typically ended up with like 2 rows of debuffs and just ate poo poo

I don't think anyone would disagree that winning clashes is the most important thing for 90% of gameplay. It's not like Bind and properly timed Paralyzes aren't powerful. It's more that the combat system is already about snowballing and Plus Coin Drop is most useful in fights that last longer than it takes for you to roll over them normally. One good Bind or Paralyze will completely change one clash, and that's enough if any given enemy will only last three or four rounds in the first place. Plus Coin Drop makes a lot of clashes slightly better, but how many rounds do you have between applying Plus Coin Drop and when your sanity is high enough to reliably win most clashes? It just doesn't matter for most fights outside of Railway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I don't think anyone would disagree that winning clashes is the most important thing for 90% of gameplay. It's not like Bind and properly timed Paralyzes aren't powerful. It's more that the combat system is already about snowballing and Plus Coin Drop is most useful in fights that last longer than it takes for you to roll over them normally. One good Bind or Paralyze will completely change one clash, and that's enough if any given enemy will only last three or four rounds in the first place. Plus Coin Drop makes a lot of clashes slightly better, but how many rounds do you have between applying Plus Coin Drop and when your sanity is high enough to reliably win most clashes? It just doesn't matter for most fights outside of Railway.

nothing at all matters for most fights outside of Railway if we're going that route

Also some enemies have some absurd plus coin rolls(lookin at you tailsman guys) that a coin drop would turn manageable

e: I just don't understand acting like it's completely nothing, or somehow different from a well-timed Paralyze. It's like the same thing but for an entire turn, that's real good. Limbus clashing means that all that matters is that your number is bigger than the other number, whether their number is shot down to 0 or the final result just gets a -2 it doesn't matter as long as the end result is yours is higher.

e2: like I was probably overexaggerating with "insane" but I will still die on the hill of "lowering enemy number is in fact good"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 27, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Probe 17 posted:

Saw someone note that Kong Lu can self-fuel Dimension Shredder. That's gonna be a shot in the arm for survivability, I think.

like I said when it came out, it basically reads "give Hong Lu 25% more max hp" and having an auto-win clash is just gravy

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Yinlock posted:

nothing at all matters for most fights outside of Railway if we're going that route

Also some enemies have some absurd plus coin rolls(lookin at you tailsman guys) that a coin drop would turn manageable

e: I just don't understand acting like it's completely nothing, or somehow different from a well-timed Paralyze. It's like the same thing but for an entire turn, that's real good. Limbus clashing means that all that matters is that your number is bigger than the other number, whether their number is shot down to 0 or the final result just gets a -2 it doesn't matter as long as the end result is yours is higher.

e2: like I was probably overexaggerating with "insane" but I will still die on the hill of "lowering enemy number is in fact good"

Honestly, I don't think we disagree about this that much, materially? You just started at saying it's mind-blowing and I have hangups about over-explaining things. If you said it was trash, I probably would have written a paragraph about how it isn't that bad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, I don't think we disagree about this that much, materially? You just started at saying it's mind-blowing and I have hangups about over-explaining things. If you said it was trash, I probably would have written a paragraph about how it isn't that bad.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have lead off with hyperbole :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jossar posted:

Hmm, I guess I can try and give a shorthand on it. Spoilers for the end of The Wings:

Yi Sang's final conclusion is that the fighting between himself and his wife Yon is ultimately due to the fact that, even if the two of them hadn't actually done anything wrong to one another, they remain unable to understand each other. This would remain true even if they tried to explain the reasons for their behavior and defend themselves by outlining why they took the actions they did. The poet sadly laments that this is the nature of humanity, while the point is emphasized by a siren going off at noon and him being surrounded by a rush of activity. The final few paragraphs have Yi Sang commenting about how he can feel the itching of the stubs of phantasmal wings under his arms, which are the remnants of his hope and ambition, and how he wants to shout for them to spread out and let him fly once more.

The idea that there is something inherently rotten with the poet, taken as a representative of humanity whose overall nature is depicted as a vast faceless crowd in a large city, which can only be resolved through changing his nature so that he can once again find the strength within himself to have hope for a brighter future (and finally be able to understand other humans) is pretty much being dead on paralleled by Project Moon.

rereading the thread a lil and this was a post about historical author Yi Sang's The Wings

lmao

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A big chunk of Ch. 4 is just Yi Sang In The 24th 1/2 Century

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yi sang's ingame wife is dongrang and you will not convince me otherwise

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yi sang's ingame wife is dongrang and you will not convince me otherwise

this is canon, and equally true is that yi sang is gubo's wife

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023

YES bread posted:

this is canon, and equally true is that yi sang is gubo's wife

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yep. Simple as.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
None of those non-Yi Sang people have wings or are birds, so I'm afraid that can't be the case. I mean, why do you all think he was so attached to Sang Yi? Big wings!

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Einander posted:

None of those non-Yi Sang people have wings or are birds, so I'm afraid that can't be the case. I mean, why do you all think he was so attached to Sang Yi? Big wings!

Those that mean that Apocalypse Bird or any sort of bird is Yi Sang wife?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
If anything it's a perfect refinement of the theme that Yi Sang's wife is a role split up and fractured like a broken mirror, spread across many characters: Gubo is the one keeping him in the room, Dongbaek is the woman tied to him intimately, Dongrang is the one who tries to refute his wings and lock him down, the mirror is literally named Yeonsim just like his wife in the original text, and of course we all as players (and Project Moon as the creators) are the ones who are actually dictating the actions of his life. As such we are all Yi Sang's wife and Yi Sang's wife is all of us. :v:

Some other fun thematic notes I decided to mull over while double-checking my source for the name thing!
> The only things that brought the story's narrator (only ever referred to in the text as "I" but analogous to Yi Sang in so many ways) any joy were a mirror and a magnifying glass, the exact same setup we see our Yi Sang using in the white room to expand his view of Sang Yi.
> The opening of the narrative and the setting hemming "I" in both play with Eastern number theory and symbolism in a way that may represent how pressured and burdened he felt by both his own nation and their oppressors: Their area is made of 33 houses (the number 3 is often used to represent plurality in general, and repeating digits in escalating scale is another symbol of multitudes and myriad things) and within the 33rd house there are 18 families (two 9s, the absolute number) living together.
> His own position is the weird exception: "I" and Yeonsim (sometimes translated as Yon-sim) live in the 7th household of House 33: Seven is usually a much bigger deal in the numerology of Western cultures, representing both divinity and the godhead as well as luck and fortune. Only the connotation of 7 as a lucky number got integrated in the East at this point culturally (even though the use of 6 for the Satanic and demonic was picked up and used repeatedly in media to this day), and even that isn't as strongly emphasized. Using it here sets "I" apart from the 3s and 9s that otherwise crop up so often, and this is emphasized in a really crushing line:

Yi Sang's 'The Wings' posted:

My room, this absolute shelter, is the seventh from the gate-- lucky number seven. I loved that number like a medal of honor. But no one noticed that the sliding door dividing the room in half symbolized my destiny.

This is especially rough to me because 7 doesn't divide evenly, another dig into how "I" and their wife have split their shared life in this brutally uneven manner.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
There is still about a 1 hour window to grind out 3 extra bonus mirror dungeon weeklies if you're so inclined, because they'll reset in the new update. I did it in about 45 minutes, it was a nice final hurrah for the content.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
After rushing through the Mirror Dungeon 3 times, I do have to say:

It's hilarious watching Yi Sang delete Headless Icthys with Sunshower, even without me overclocking that EGO. Also I think my phone might be melting now.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Ready for the new MD Hard to be a nightmare or a pushover in just two short hours.

Since we're coming up on a new Season 2 story banner... If you got the "guaranteed season 2 three-star" ticket off the paid Limbus Pass, they've added new IDs to those immediately in the past, so probably better to use that and hope you get lucky before pulling here. The math changes somewhat if you don't have all the new IDs so far and you aren't planning to do pulls (if you've gotten 3/4 of the new S2 identities then it's a 40% for a new ID on this banner; if you skip and do it after the next, it's 50% instead), but if you do have all the new IDs it's a clear win in favor of just using the ticket. Way better to get something new off it than to just get shards!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I’m saving mine for magic hellbus, tbh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Einander posted:

Ready for the new MD Hard to be a nightmare or a pushover in just two short hours.

Since we're coming up on a new Season 2 story banner... If you got the "guaranteed season 2 three-star" ticket off the paid Limbus Pass, they've added new IDs to those immediately in the past, so probably better to use that and hope you get lucky before pulling here. The math changes somewhat if you don't have all the new IDs so far and you aren't planning to do pulls (if you've gotten 3/4 of the new S2 identities then it's a 40% for a new ID on this banner; if you skip and do it after the next, it's 50% instead), but if you do have all the new IDs it's a clear win in favor of just using the ticket. Way better to get something new off it than to just get shards!

Isn't MD Hard next week?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn't MD Hard next week?

Oh, okay, looked it up, just MD2 this week, MD2 Hard is next week. They keep moving these things around...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Einander posted:

The one thing stopping me from doing that is the doubled-up EGO release. The regular banner has a decent drop for IDs, but the EGO banners have had terrible odds and both EGOs being for Ryoshu means dropping 800 shards which is a bit extravagant. I'd rather roll regularly on ID banners when EGOs are in play.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Unless the EGO are season 2, there’s no reason to rush anyways—they’ll be there. Waiting to spook you on a good-looking roll for the ID you want.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

TeeQueue posted:

Unless the EGO are season 2, there’s no reason to rush anyways—they’ll be there. Waiting to spook you on a good-looking roll for the ID you want.

Can confirm they are evergreen and appear in the Standard Fare section of the dispensery. Also can confirm that the new Starter Buff system seems to be based on a skill tree, branching out from a central start node to two different capstones across four lines. There's a raw offensive line, a Speed-and-survival line, a Resources line, and a healing + SP line. The capstones are "every 3 turns all your coins land on the same face" and "all your units lose their first stagger threshold entirely."

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 29, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i got the TETH EGO on my first daily, but it took 30 pulls before Mr. Tailsman's slow rear end showed up :rolldice:

K Hong Lu seems kind of Bad so i'm not particularly interested in him

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ariamaki posted:

Can confirm they are evergreen and appear in the Standard Fare section of the dispensery. Also can confirm that the new Starter Buff system seems to be based on a skill tree, branching out from a central start node to two different capstones across four lines. There's a raw offensive line, a Speed-and-survival line, a Resources line, and a healing + SP line. The capstones are "every 3 turns all your coins land on the same face" and "all your units lose their first stagger threshold entirely."

Oh, now that one's going to be very funny. Big 'feelin lucky?' energy, there.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Der Freischütz abberation with a shotgun EGO gift event.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LostRook posted:

Der Freischütz abberation with a shotgun EGO gift event.

is that the trenchcoat guy? cuz he's been around for a while. he seems to be the same abno but film noir for some reason

e: the Charge gloves are a very funny new gift, they're both absurdly powerful(+10 max charge, +5 starting charge) and not particularly useful in the mirror dungeon

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 29, 2023

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
MD2 is locked behind 4-52. I am at 4-32. F8ck my life

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the dispenser is also a very funny event space, yes i'd love to replace a sinner's skill 1 with another skill 3

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

is that the trenchcoat guy? cuz he's been around for a while. he seems to be the same abno but film noir for some reason

e: the Charge gloves are a very funny new gift, they're both absurdly powerful(+10 max charge, +5 starting charge) and not particularly useful in the mirror dungeon

Nope it's new.

There's also what appears to be another abnormality group.

There's a surgeon event, which seems to be related to the phlembotomy pack gift abnormality.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
5 floors takes a long rear end time, it was more difficult than regular MD but not really overwhelming. Stacking enemy buffs per floor means it gets harder as it goes on but since you keep hp/san/sin across with no reduction it's not really a problem; I just slammed in a bunch of high dmg identities and cleared no problem.

Some new abnormality dilemmas. Final boss for mine was the fairy wine goop dude which had ~1500 hp but wasn't really threatening otherwise.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Some of these new EGO gifts are absolutely loving cracked.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

mildly concerned at the antics the enemies will be getting up to with all these tools we're getting.
Then again, if it means there won't be another guido the chump'd, that would be nice.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The update seems to have erased all my observation data on the Peccatula.

Also strange is that Peccatula Morositatis in particular (the Gloom balloons) now have a sky-high 173 Defense Level.

You can still kill them but it takes a while. My current MD2 run is finding a lot of Poise gifts and a really cracked-looking EGO gift called Grand Welcome that gives you +5 Pride at battle start and is also a Zippo Lighter for Pride except it works on kill instead of each turn. If I had Faust on this team that’s practically a free Emitter every fight.

jumpwjoy
Jan 23, 2022
Has anyone else bought the skill exchange in the shop? I tried it out with an S1 -> S2 and also S1 -> S3, but it must be bugged because it didn't actually work :v:

e: Oh geez, I totally misunderstood the feature, it converts only one of the skills in the deck into the one you want. I guess it'd be way too broken otherwise lol, my bad!

jumpwjoy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 29, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I find that not losing resources hurts Rose Rodion a bit, since it makes her immediately blow the 6 charge she gets from S3 and makes it a pain to get her S2 online.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
As someone who's definitely too invested in picking apart Abno symbolism I'm already having a great time with this new batch. Among other things, we may have a new Oz abnormality... who's also an Aberration of the old lady who tells stories???

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Quick napkin math and my sample size of two clears (108 starlight, 102 starlight) put filling out the full chart at a little less than 57 normal clears. I assume hard will give a good chunk more, but it definitely seems worthwhile to get a few nodes activated before next week. The top right path seems solid to focus early, since grabbing up to the second +starting cost node will let you take an extra 000 or (almost) two 00s. Sinner Outis is almost certainly going to be a hard mode mainstay, though, tons of value for 20 cost.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Probe 17 posted:

As someone who's definitely too invested in picking apart Abno symbolism I'm already having a great time with this new batch. Among other things, we may have a new Oz abnormality... who's also an Aberration of the old lady who tells stories???

I've run into 3 abnormalities that reference the Smoke War, one by name even, which seems a little unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The new mirror dungeon actually feels more swift, even if it's longer, because you don't have to level up after every single fight anymore, which actually saves a lot of time, at least on mobile. And I didn't expect we would geta new abnormality to fight. Neat!

Also for some reason I thought that 4th upties are happening today, so I feel a bit bummed that my wildly mistaken expectations were not fulfilled. :v: