Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

how do fire departments work, anyway? sometimes it sounds like a professional job that people are paid to do, but other times you hear about a "volunteer fire department" and it's like, I guess they have day jobs, then?

I was a volunteer but between 60 and 70 percent of fire departments in the US are volunteer, almost all rural

All cities and major metro areas have large and mostly well paid city and county departments, rural areas without the tax base to support 450k ambulances and 800-1100k per apparatus cost plus several million in operating expenses per year rely on a mixture of federal and state grant money with mostly if not all volunteer staff, some employing said staff directly but most on an on call arrangement of some kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
My cousin was a volunteer firefighter for about a decade. We aren't that rural, more of a small town but you had to put in years as a volunteer before you could be hired for the fully paid positions ( you still get paid a small stipend as a volunteer).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I'm getting out of this is that the US is unusually vulnerable to incendiary munitions

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that the US is unusually vulnerable to incendiary munitions

surely our wooden five-over-one revitalized urban cores are resilient against mortar fire

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
There's a lot of area to hit but nature usually does that by itself

Then again I didn't have anything to do with wildland practice, structural firefighting is much different. And most of the US has no structures in it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

a senile old biden handing over his trusty old weapon to zelenksy:"this is stinger. it glows blue when orcs are near"

Oh my goodness. Perfect.

Zelensky is already hobbit sized too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Wait if they stopped making them ages ago what is the American military using right now?

Carrier battle groups and super hornets.

If you meant "what is the USA using in an environment where they don't have air superiority" I'm afraid the machine spirit blue screened when we asked it. The tech priests are en route to conduct maintenance rituals.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

The USA is extremely vulnerable to entropy. Bridges, working trains and other things are rapidly becoming lostech.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
getting whiplash from shifting from warhammer straight into battletech

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Wait if they stopped making them ages ago what is the American military using right now?

has the u.s. military ever actually had a soldier fire a manpad at an enemy aircraft in the forty years or whatever since their development?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

obviously we've passed them out like candy to proxy forces but i'm struggling to think of any examples of direct use

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Slavvy posted:

That explains all the molotov veneration on BBC early on in the war, it was the one and actually accurate wonderwaffe

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Oneiros posted:

obviously we've passed them out like candy to proxy forces but i'm struggling to think of any examples of direct use

Maybe during the first days of desert storm 2003? Other than that, I can't think of any US forces (at least in an official capacity) fighting an enemy with airpower

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

DancingShade posted:

The USA is extremely vulnerable to entropy.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

fanfic insert posted:

That explains all the molotov veneration on BBC early on in the war, it was the one and actually accurate wonderwaffe

Actually it is the Bandera Smoothie, brave Ukrainians have reclaimed it from the murderous Soviets.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1674333544280203265?s=20

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Volodymyr self-help enterprise when

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
weve got to defend ukrainian democracy, by canceling all elections and adopting english

putin must not be allowed to stop this!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If you start a business for three years in a disadvantaged warzone...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a mainstream source on the cancellation of elections that I keep hearing about?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a mainstream source on the cancellation of elections that I keep hearing about?

https://www.bbc.com/ukrainian/vert-fut-65963080

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I don't know if I actually have an issue with elections being delayed during wartime considering a good chunk of the country is being occupied and another chunk is in a pretty chaotic state. English being adopted as a language of communication while Russian is being suppressed is a different matter.

Not that much going on the front, supposedly the Ukrainians got another village a few days ago, but it seems like the Russians are content to occasionally surrender some bits of land when put under pressure, then shell anything that makes an approach as they normally do. Supposedly, the Ukrainians are still holding that bridgehead in Kherson but like a previous attempt, they are held up in such a small area that it is pretty much just a kill zone for Russian artillery, and they can't do anything operationally with it. One theory put out there is Wagner is being held back in Belarus to make a jump on a potential joint Polish brigade, but they would also need Belarussian/Russian support if they were going to attempt that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Elections suspended combined with opposition parties and hostile press + minority language banned is what makes for the whole spicy picture though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Elections suspended combined with opposition parties and hostile press + minority language banned is what makes for the whole spicy picture though.

I would say the political bans, harassment, and suppression of language and culture is more of an issue for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zelensky's polls aren't as high as the West wants it to seem. Ukraine was riding high through last November based on surviving the first wave and reclaiming some territory, but there really hasn't been good news since then, and there was a lot of skepticism about the strategy in Bakhmut, and now that the counter-offensive has generally failed, there is a good question about what is being fought. In addition, there is a clear gap between the volunteers/conscripts would are just being sent out to die and the dudes kicking back in Kiev and other major cities who are protected in some capacity. Not to mention austerity measures, unemployment, inflation and even soldiers don't getting full pay etc.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lostconfused posted:

The whole thing is so stupid and depressing.

Tired of your team losing?? :clint:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

crepeface posted:

a senile old biden handing over his trusty old weapon to zelenksy:"this is stinger. it glows blue when orcs are near"

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's a source that isn't state media if that's important to you.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zelenskyy-say-no-elections-until-war-ends/

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The english language thing is honestly kinda depressing because it’s charting an intentional cultural shift that ultimately will harm anything that could be considered genuine ukrainian culture. Anything that doesn’t quite fit with the new paradigm can be left behind with the excuse that it’s really more of a russian thing anyway since so much of it is. It’s also going to exacerbate economic and educational divides between urban and rural as the front of house belongs exclusively to the english speakers. That’s before we even get into the societal disharmony that’s going to result from oppositional linguistic streams and people consuming mutually unintelligible propaganda

Guy goes off the rails (ironic :cocaine:) with more than 140 characters. Too bad we can’t see how many people clicked “show more”, the true barometer for support

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Every country stops elections when the war threat becomes high enough this is normal.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

crepeface posted:

*reads from instruction card in heavily accented English*

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

*Presses trigger, accidentally wastes a 747*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Every country stops elections when the war threat becomes high enough this is normal.

I think you might be forgetting a little country called The United States of America

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

thorny on the TL

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Al-Saqr posted:

It is pretty reasonable and sound to delay elections during a war, particularly in places where concentrations of people are vulnerable to getting blown up.

It's not reasonable to call this a shining bastion of democracy, however.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Futanari Damacy posted:

The english language thing is honestly kinda depressing because it’s charting an intentional cultural shift that ultimately will harm anything that could be considered genuine ukrainian culture. Anything that doesn’t quite fit with the new paradigm can be left behind with the excuse that it’s really more of a russian thing anyway since so much of it is. It’s also going to exacerbate economic and educational divides between urban and rural as the front of house belongs exclusively to the english speakers. That’s before we even get into the societal disharmony that’s going to result from oppositional linguistic streams and people consuming mutually unintelligible propaganda

Before he ever walked, or cried - even before he was born - his mother tongue was English. He doesn't know the pain of losing his own language. Not yet. He cannot understand her will. I do. I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post, my masters changed, along with the words they made me speak. Words are... peculiar. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong... War changed me - and not only my visage. Words can kill. I was invaded by words, burrowing and breeding inside me. A philosopher once said, 'It is no nation we inhabit, but a language.' 'Make no mistake, our native tongue is our true fatherland.' My fatherland - my truth was stolen from me. And so was my past. All that's left is the future. And mine is revenge. On those who'd leech off the words of their fellow man. This is what I learned from the major. And then it hit me. It was he who should feel my wrath. He and the code he chose as basis for control. Language codes, information codes - beamed all around us - genetic codes spanning history. By controlling the codes, Cipher... Zero intends to unify the world. Codes implanted into our heads, sucking our minds dry as it spreads from one host to the next. A parasite upon the earth. That is what Zero is. As one born into this world, he's afflicted. I hold him responsible for killing my freedom. Killing all traces of my past... Killing any promise of a future... We are all but dead men forced to walk upon this earth. A world reduced to Zero. Cipher plans to use its codes to control the world. They think they can.

"And the 'mother tongue' of all those codes is English.

"The word became flesh. The final parasite.

"It knows English. An English strain of the vocal cord parasite.

"I will exterminate the English language. With this, I'll rid the world of infestation. All men will breathe free again - reclaim their past, present, and future. This is no ethnic cleanser. It is a 'liberator,' to free the world from Zero. Let the world be. Sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder. And then, it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain. The world will need a new common tongue. A language of nukes. My Metal Gears shall be the thread by which all countries are bound together, in equality. No words will be needed. Every man will be forced to recognize his neighbor. People will swallow their pain. They will link lost hands. And the world will become one.

Whoahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooOOooOOooOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I don't know if I actually have an issue with elections being delayed during wartime considering a good chunk of the country is being occupied and another chunk is in a pretty chaotic state. English being adopted as a language of communication while Russian is being suppressed is a different matter.

Not that much going on the front, supposedly the Ukrainians got another village a few days ago, but it seems like the Russians are content to occasionally surrender some bits of land when put under pressure, then shell anything that makes an approach as they normally do. Supposedly, the Ukrainians are still holding that bridgehead in Kherson but like a previous attempt, they are held up in such a small area that it is pretty much just a kill zone for Russian artillery, and they can't do anything operationally with it. One theory put out there is Wagner is being held back in Belarus to make a jump on a potential joint Polish brigade, but they would also need Belarussian/Russian support if they were going to attempt that.

Even if the occupation and chaos dies down the eastern oblasts are going to take notes from Jim Crow and suppress ethnic Russians. An election now would have just as much legitimacy as whatever happens when things are 'calmed down'. Although its not like elections matter in Ukraine to begin with; if the wrong candidate wins a bunch of fascists with western support will just show up and declare themselves the victor anyways

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

crepeface posted:

Before he ever walked, or cried - even before he was born - his mother tongue was English. He doesn't know the pain of losing his own language. Not yet. He cannot understand her will. I do. I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post, my masters changed, along with the words they made me speak. Words are... peculiar. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong... War changed me - and not only my visage. Words can kill. I was invaded by words, burrowing and breeding inside me. A philosopher once said, 'It is no nation we inhabit, but a language.' 'Make no mistake, our native tongue is our true fatherland.' My fatherland - my truth was stolen from me. And so was my past. All that's left is the future. And mine is revenge. On those who'd leech off the words of their fellow man. This is what I learned from the major. And then it hit me. It was he who should feel my wrath. He and the code he chose as basis for control. Language codes, information codes - beamed all around us - genetic codes spanning history. By controlling the codes, Cipher... Zero intends to unify the world. Codes implanted into our heads, sucking our minds dry as it spreads from one host to the next. A parasite upon the earth. That is what Zero is. As one born into this world, he's afflicted. I hold him responsible for killing my freedom. Killing all traces of my past... Killing any promise of a future... We are all but dead men forced to walk upon this earth. A world reduced to Zero. Cipher plans to use its codes to control the world. They think they can.

"And the 'mother tongue' of all those codes is English.

"The word became flesh. The final parasite.

"It knows English. An English strain of the vocal cord parasite.

"I will exterminate the English language. With this, I'll rid the world of infestation. All men will breathe free again - reclaim their past, present, and future. This is no ethnic cleanser. It is a 'liberator,' to free the world from Zero. Let the world be. Sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder. And then, it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain. The world will need a new common tongue. A language of nukes. My Metal Gears shall be the thread by which all countries are bound together, in equality. No words will be needed. Every man will be forced to recognize his neighbor. People will swallow their pain. They will link lost hands. And the world will become one.

Whoahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooOOooOOooOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
/
Sapir Whorfman

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Egg Moron posted:

thorny on the TL

every Rus has its thorn

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

DancingShade posted:

Carrier battle groups and super hornets.

If you meant "what is the USA using in an environment where they don't have air superiority" I'm afraid the machine spirit blue screened when we asked it. The tech priests are en route to conduct maintenance rituals.

Have to wonder if anyone at the DoD is sweating the thought of a conflict against an adversary with thousands of dirt cheap drones dropping $2 mortar shells when our defensive options are hundred million dollar planes launching million dollar missiles -> semi-mobile patriot systems firing $4 million a pop missiles -> oops we gave away all the stingers -> the invisible hand of the free market fired everyone who makes ammo for said systems.

I imagine not, given their lust for driving carrier groups into a swarm of missiles off Formosa.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So this stinger thing, is essentially weapon US made to gently caress up the Russians right?

So while the string technology has become standing still, the Russkies have been evolving the military helicopter topics to be able to blow up enemy tanks from 10km behind the line.

So the US mistake was basically letting Ukraine fight a conventional war and give conventional mechanized weapons. Biden should have encouraged Zelenskyy go underground and let Russia take over the cities and fight a full scaled guerrilla war. Now that's the showtime for stingers. Is Charles Wilson's son in congress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ardennes posted:

If you start a business for three years in a disadvantaged warzone...