Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

Ottawa was clear yesterday and today (after being not so great sun/mon) but apparently it's gonna be real bad tomorrow.

Also jesus.

Maritimes stay winning (we're on fourth consecutive day of rain and thunderstorms)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hail Laurentian Satan

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Aces High posted:

I think it does show that our gun control systems are having an effect. Most firearms that are easily concealable are either Restricted-class or Prohibited-class, and the latter have been for 30+ years at this point. I don't know much about the black market in Canada, but it feels like it is a lot more challenging to access if you are planning your spree killing in a short time frame (that sick gently caress in Nova Scotia had been building stuff up for a few years). That and because of all the bureaucratic BS the Liberals instituted last year, legally acquiring restricted firearms has taken at least 5x as long as it had before (and even before then, our system was very much like Homer's gun buying experience)

I mean, the Nova Scotia shooter found it easier to obtain smuggled and illegal firearms than to go through the licensing process and legally obtain them. There are real dollars being spent to deal with the phantom problem of 'legal guns used in crimes' that could be used in actual problems of 'poverty, health care, mental health supports' and such like.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Aces High posted:

I think it does show that our gun control systems are having an effect. Most firearms that are easily concealable are either Restricted-class or Prohibited-class, and the latter have been for 30+ years at this point. I don't know much about the black market in Canada, but it feels like it is a lot more challenging to access if you are planning your spree killing in a short time frame (that sick gently caress in Nova Scotia had been building stuff up for a few years). That and because of all the bureaucratic BS the Liberals instituted last year, legally acquiring restricted firearms has taken at least 5x as long as it had before (and even before then, our system was very much like Homer's gun buying experience)

What do you think our current gun control system is? I genuinely ask so I'm not misconstruing what you think it is.

The restricted firearm definition hasn't changed since 1977 besides the addition of named restricted firearms in 1994 (the AR-15 and hi-standard shotgun) though the AR-15 was named prohibited in 2020.

The Canadian gun control system is no where similar the American gun control system or even homer Simpsons fantasy gun control system. No matter how much the LPC try to compare it too

Also what bureaucratic bs are you referring to last year? Technically not much has changed since C-71 in 2019 unless you count paperwork crimes to be significant. C-71 changed ATT permits, mandated business record keeping, changed background checks, and changed non-restricted firearm transfer requirements; all paperwork crimes.

The may 2020 oic (named banned 9 models of firearms) and October 2022 oic (banned handgun transfers and imports) didn't change the system to make restricted purchases take 5x as long unless you count the system being overwhelmed temporarily as now restricted transfers take about a week now (as they should for not first time gun owners).

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

DaysBefore posted:

Maritimes stay winning (we're on fourth consecutive day of rain and thunderstorms)

It's better than fires, but goddamn it's been non-stop rain. This week has been especially bad, but it seems like we only get a few days here and there where it isn't raining.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rain day and night for the rest of the week lol, it's like I'm back home in BC. I'm loving this

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bleck posted:

Yes let’s all try to find the bright side of the stabbing

The bright side is that no one who was attacked is dead and the attacker is in custody, also without being dead.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
We also found out the school is terrible for safety alerts and surely they will improve their response to actually tell people something happened instead of people relying on twitter to find out.

For more relevant Pol content.

Globe and mail is doing an investigation exposé on how lovely our ATIP/FOI system is. older but it is frustrating how useless and antiquated our FOI system is. My personal experience with ATIP/FOI a 1 year wait to find out how many firearm home/business inspections were completed in Alberta. Wait times are long and lovely for basic data.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 29, 2023

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

greatBigJerk posted:

It's better than fires, but goddamn it's been non-stop rain. This week has been especially bad, but it seems like we only get a few days here and there where it isn't raining.

Should try being in central Alberta, Edmonton is looking good all week even with a heat warning, with some rain here and there.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
:megadeath::rock:666 posting:rock::megadeath:

Hey you should all be thankful that we, toronto, are finally taking notice of the smoke. Now there might be political will to do something about it.

For real, given the amount of Americans affected I wonder if there will be some liability/funding opportunities with regards to expanding fire season forestry capacity of Canada.

Also, hey, Olivia Chow is mayor. Maybe the city will somehow become more affordable and less lovely to live in?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hail Satan and may his new domain on Earth that was once formerly Canada suit his diabolical whims.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ontario has been under the dominion of the hideous child of Mammon and Behemoth for some time now, so really it's all par for the course.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
what's with the sudden appearance of all these Halifax/Maritime goons?

Anyway, all this rain is hopefully making up for the insanely dry winter/sprint we had. Plus we don't have to water our newly planted trees which is nice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Squibbles posted:

Anyway, all this rain is hopefully making up for the insanely dry winter/sprint we had. Plus we don't have to water our newly planted trees which is nice.

Pogey cheques finally came in and we can afford to install internet

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hail Laurentian Satan

AQI: 666

I went to the mall yesterday and it was visibly hazy on the second floor. Stay safe out there, goons.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Squibbles posted:

They were just dormant until they got a little rain, then the posts started popping up like spring.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Chillyrabbit posted:

What do you think our current gun control system is? I genuinely ask so I'm not misconstruing what you think it is.

Chillyrabbit, you do know I post in TFR, right?

Anyway, I guess I'm hyperbolizing and just speaking from personal anecdotes but the amount of waiting around I've had to do for anything revolving firearm transfers and PAL stuff for the past 2 years has been quite an arduous task. Maybe that's a staffing issue, or maybe that's what happens when your government decides to inadvertently create a panic buy and put a huge strain on something that didn't need it.

I submitted a license renewal application for my RPAL this past October because my license was expiring about 6-8 months later. It has now been about 3 months since my license expired and all I've heard from both the federal office and my provincial CFO is "it's in progress, don't worry, it will come when it comes". Sure, I guess I'm a little biased in my thoughts about the speediness of the process

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Sorry, when I read your post it felt very "I'm confidently wrong about firearms"

The bunch of wrong facts about our current system and that is what is good about, it triggered me to respond that way. Which is very similar to people ignorantly posting about guns.

It sucks that even with a legislative extension you can be committing a crime due to the fact that the RCMP can't decide if you should continue to have a firearms license for 8+ months.

Also so it doesn't get lost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hail Laurentian Satan

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Squibbles posted:

I ditched Reddit to resume being a goon, maybe others are the same?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You've got some goon lore to catch up on. It all starts with these fancy cookies you see

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hail Laurentian Satan

Back in my day we worshipped Prarie Beelzebub and we were grateful for it!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Chillyrabbit posted:

We also found out the school is terrible for safety alerts and surely they will improve their response to actually tell people something happened instead of people relying on twitter to find out.

For more relevant Pol content.

Globe and mail is doing an investigation exposé on how lovely our ATIP/FOI system is. older but it is frustrating how useless and antiquated our FOI system is. My personal experience with ATIP/FOI a 1 year wait to find out how many firearm home/business inspections were completed in Alberta. Wait times are long and lovely for basic data.

Somebody recently recommended Alertable to me, and I find it absolutely abhorrent that the CRTC has bungled the alerting system built into the LTE protocol so badly that we need a separate system to get useful, accurate alerts.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Loved getting alerts about the forest fires in Halifax. Like yeah good, send out alerts whenever an evac order is issued for a suburb, that makes sense. Not sure why everybody in the county needed a loud rear end alarm informing them that residents of Racist Covenant Subdivision 304 can go home though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Loved getting alerts about the forest fires in Halifax. Like yeah good, send out alerts whenever an evac order is issued for a suburb, that makes sense. Not sure why everybody in the county needed a loud rear end alarm informing them that residents of Racist Covenant Subdivision 304 can go home though

Why are you getting alerts from Etobicoke?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wait times like this make more sense when you realize that our governments don’t have a way to report on that data internally either. They have atrocious or nonexistent data governance and reporting capabilities. The data you wanted was probably sitting in a dozen systems, half of which were excel worksheets.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That's a good thread title.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://twitter.com/VeryBadLlama/status/1674237448983916549?s=20

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Only thing they missed was measuring weather in celcius and ovens/grills in fahrenheit

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

run on sentience posted:

That's a good thread title.

rip Sue

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

DaysBefore posted:

Better than getting updates on a mass shooter on the loose via loving Twitter at least.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty cool that Postmedia will soon own basically every newspaper in the country. Once they're done with TorStar I'm sure they'll move on to Saltwire which owns almost all the papers in the Atlantic provinces (the Irvings own the rest). Most of these papers suck rear end for sure but doesn't mean I'm looking forward to the massive layoffs and union busting that will inevitably follow all these purchases lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
What's the deal with that anyway. I know our competition bureau sucks rear end but I would've thought antitrust would come into play at some point before Postmedia owned literally every news outlet in the country.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Our competition bureau weighs antitrust vs “efficiency” so as long as there are massive layoffs, it’s a-ok.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Google Canada is currently having a huge hissy fit about potentially having to pay fractions of a penny to serve ads on listings of news articles by simply removing all such links from search results (and some other pages). As long as that's going on I'm sure Postmedia and TorStar can also cry that consolidation is the only way to survive and please could you shovel more public funding at us to keep the Overton window open all the way from Andrew Coyne to Rex Murphy?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

eXXon posted:

Google Canada is currently having a huge hissy fit about potentially having to pay fractions of a penny to serve ads on listings of news articles by simply removing all such links from search results (and some other pages). As long as that's going on I'm sure Postmedia and TorStar can also cry that consolidation is the only way to survive and please could you shovel more public funding at us to keep the Overton window open all the way from Andrew Coyne to Rex Murphy?

I thought it was about linking to Canadian content for 'free' and that their issue was unlimited liability of the click through taxes. I am not sure if it's an add issue but can con lobbyists were saying linking to cancon on fb or goog was value added and a service they should pay for.

Now the world will never see our news tbh

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 33 hours!)

Bleck posted:

Yes let’s all try to find the bright side of the stabbing

I was in third year U of T Engineering when Ecole Polytechnique occured. We had serious discussions in the immediate aftermath about what to do if an incident like it happened in Toronto. The female students were loving terrified.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Arm the female students then.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

:denmark:

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 1, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Lol, do you think it's an anglo canadian or a foreigner doing the subs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

Lol, do you think it's an anglo canadian or a foreigner doing the subs?

Neither, it's an automatic subtitling system that's coming up with "Lego" for "Legault."