Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Why the gently caress would you have an economics podcast with two people with little understanding of economics? Ed Balls studied PPE, sure, but Osborne? He studied Modern History and then proceeded to colosally gently caress the economy so badly we're still in the shitter.

And frankly the only thing I've seen from people studying PPE is that they are functionally illiterate about every topic.

I think I read most of the PPE crowd give up the economics after the first year because it's too hard and they can't cope with the maths once the calculus comes in to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had a gross recommendation today on yahoo not YouTube. I have been looking at a lot of submersible stuff re the design, problems, hubris etc. The recom today was for an experiment done 13 years ago with a meat-man constructed from pig in a diving suit under pressure (not as much pressure as the titan assuming whatever happened to it near the bottom of the dice and not part way). It was almost vomit inducing.
I was sheltering from rain in the Venue Cymru and gasped out loud to a few looks.
It was unearthed by someone on twitter.
I believe that was an episode of the wildly popular tv series Mythbusters. A mannequin made of pig parts squished by pressure seems quite tame by internet standards .

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Another way the UK is hosed up: name people on a civil injunction with no need to provide any evidence they've done anything to justify being put on an injunction, then make them pay for the cost of the injunction.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/29/punishment-without-trial-britain-civil-injunctions-climate-activists

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Their bodies imploded within 1ms, 13x shorter than the time it would take for their brains to process what they are seeing. Any pockets of air would also immediately heat up to sun-like temperatures for a split second.

So when they say they found human remains, I guess parts of the sub are covered in human soup.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe that was an episode of the wildly popular tv series Mythbusters. A mannequin made of pig parts squished by pressure seems quite tame by internet standards .

Get yourself on the dark web, you could see that live streamed with a live human mannequin for just a few bitcoin.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The internet/humanity is worse than that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-65951188

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1674350909558538240

:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

10%+ increase for the decrepit boomers, but no pay rises for anyone actually contributing to the economy. Classic Keith

https://twitter.com/hugogye/status/1674029307205697536?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

josh04 posted:

It keeps recommending me a mail-order telescoping baton which I'm pretty sure is illegal to even own in the UK.

Lol, I've had that one! Useful for camping activities, apparently.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I think this is probably the winner and gets across what I was ham-fistedly trying to explain, although "this is fine" is also good. Thank you all for your memes, ideas, and Brendans.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Why the gently caress would you have an economics podcast with two people with little understanding of economics? Ed Balls studied PPE, sure, but Osborne? He studied Modern History and then proceeded to colosally gently caress the economy so badly we're still in the shitter.

And frankly the only thing I've seen from people studying PPE is that they are functionally illiterate about every topic.

It's because their understanding of economics is the one that favours the rich the most and therefore the acceptable one for the public to hear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1673982645816967169

Looking forward to this more than Musk v Zuck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

George & Balls Episode 1: The Cost of Living Crisis

Osbourne: [sound of snorting followed by a yelp]

Balls: [obvious slaps of masturbation]

Osbourne: Is it a cost of living crisis? I can still afford the Moët.

Balls: [slapping noises slow somewhat]

Osbourne: Personally I think that the rail strikes are the reason prices are so high. It's disgusting what they think they can do to us, the hardworking public, just to pay for their jet-setting weekly vacations.

Balls: [slapping noises speed up]

Osbourne: And frankly Mick Lynch should be lynched, even though I know that's no longer politically correct to say, given he's not a negro.

[30 second advert for the Daily Mail]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

Their bodies imploded within 1ms, 13x shorter than the time it would take for their brains to process what they are seeing. Any pockets of air would also immediately heat up to sun-like temperatures for a split second.

So when they say they found human remains, I guess parts of the sub are covered in human soup.

Exactly

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Prepare for the 'The Appeals Court are the real enemy here' wails.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VOLKSFEINDE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

They did an expose on Neuralink?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

If the temperature got that high be more like when objects get "powder painted" and baked on eg metal intruder alarm covers ( which I mention having been to the factory where they get made and sprayed. Albeit 35 years ago.)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If the temperature got that high be more like when objects get "powder painted" and baked on eg metal intruder alarm covers ( which I mention having been to the factory where they get made and sprayed. Albeit 35 years ago.)

Someone did some calculations on the GBS thread, the temp would have been so brief it wouldn't even affected the first layer of atoms of the sub or people in it.

The Mantis Shrimp does the same thing, it punches poo poo so fast it causes sun surface temperatures within airbubbles it creates.

Too fast to cook anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Li1k5hGBE&t=152s

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Eh, here's a fun little derail about the shrimp for you... temperature isn't real man!
It's a bulk property related to how fast the atoms are moving, and while it behaves sensibly around room temperature +/- a few hundred degrees, poo poo gets weird outside of that, or if the density of matter goes too low or high. Like asking what the temperature of space is when there's hydrogen atoms moving at colossal speeds, but bugger all of them. The closest physical thing is molecular kinetic energy density, but that ignores radiative heat and it's all messy. In solids and liquids, heat is related to sound in that its all vibrations, man, and a supersonic event underwater causes a partial vacuum (the water hasn't had time to move into the empty space yet) which then hits the whole vacuum issues above. So no, you don't really make it as hot as the suns surface, the energy density of the cavity is virtually zero whereas the same volume of the suns surface would technically be 'quite warm'.
The imploding sub however, that had the extreme velocity and the mass to count as a super-energy-dense environment, but the energy is a supersonic shockwave driven by the extreme pressure, and compressing air. Which by the velocity arguments is 'superhot' temperature-wise, briefly.
Carbon fibre tube lol - you would not get me down that deep, but if I had to design something that did it would be based on a loving sphere.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Someone did some calculations on the GBS thread, the temp would have been so brief it wouldn't even affected the first layer of atoms of the sub or people in it.

The Mantis Shrimp does the same thing, it punches poo poo so fast it causes sun surface temperatures within airbubbles it creates.

Too fast to cook anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Li1k5hGBE&t=152s

Do you have a link to the thread? On my phone and can't find it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you have a link to the thread? On my phone and can't find it.

I think it was in the first one, trying to find it here...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/14hg2c2/request_how_hot_would_the_air_inside_the_titan/

Sorry, it was reddit I saw it on, thought it was posted here. Prob was, found this link in my history

Seems the calculations are wrong, there are other posts saying much higher temps.
gently caress knows.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

happyhippy posted:

Prepare for the 'The Appeals Court are the real enemy here' wails.

Then for Labour to announce their stunning new plan to make the Rwanda policy work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/14hg2c2/request_how_hot_would_the_air_inside_the_titan/

Sorry, it was reddit I saw it on, thought it was posted here. Prob was, found this link in my history

Seems the calculations are wrong, there are other posts saying much higher temps.
gently caress knows.

Thanks for looking :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What?

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1674384948768260096

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1674357026921623552?s=20

Thought he'd be in favour of it. They normally do it to people with suspicious transactions or foreigners or people wrongly flagged as deceased.
Doesn't he have a foreign passport now?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dining across the divide: ‘He made me realise I’m woke – I thought it was a negative thing’

i don’t normally read this guardian thing but i thought the guy was bill bailey lol

the conversation is almost charming, sounds like the labour voter just kept bashing his head against the wall while the tory voter just sat there in blissful ignorance

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

Dining across the divide: ‘He made me realise I’m woke – I thought it was a negative thing’

i don’t normally read this guardian thing but i thought the guy was bill bailey lol

the conversation is almost charming, sounds like the labour voter just kept bashing his head against the wall while the tory voter just sat there in blissful ignorance

I loving hate this series as a whole, everyone just seems to be different types of dickheaded.

And "Voting record: Conservative in general elections, Labour in local elections" is just :ohno:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Maybe she just wants to live somewhere nice but also wants the rest of the country to suffer, thereby making her own station even nicer by default

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Making sure that the national government is conservative and your local council is labour is a good way to get no local funding.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thought he'd be in favour of it. They normally do it to people with suspicious transactions or foreigners or people wrongly flagged as deceased.
Big "if they can arrest the January 6th patriots, they can arrest you too" energy.

I would simply not do financial crimes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

i mean she is an absolute buffoon but what is birding, is it dogging for graun readers?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i mean she is an absolute buffoon but what is birding, is it dogging for graun readers?

It means actively going looking for birds, or a specific bird, rather than passively watching them. I’ve only ever heard it used by “birders” to criticise people who probably aren’t pedantic cunts. If anyone ever asks “so are you a birder or just a bird watcher” it’s a good indication that you should push them over a nearby cliff.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/wizbates/status/1674373987336331264?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

He’s like our own lovely little version of Link. Tears of the loving United Kingdom

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

America's government passes measures to produce microchips and we just get a sub-prime mini-ster.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That made me chuckle. Top memery

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Big unit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The misses watched a report on that, genuinely grotesque. One of the most upsetting things I've ever seen.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It has been too long since I worked at a bank but if they don't give him a reason isn't that an indication that some department (not necessarily within the bank.) is investigating him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
How do you even get into something like monkey torture groups? Like does someone mention it down the pub and you’re like Oo yeah that sounds fun? Do people actively seek it out? Like outside of the extremely grotesque and perverse nature of getting into something like that the logistics of how a person finds that path then decides to walk down it really do baffle me