Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That there's a longer period between one and the other isn't really saying much; newer versions of C aren't going to be revolutionary - and I expect they'd have programmed it against C95 (it probably made character encoding and text handling a lot easier).

I think some of the bigger changes that SM64 missed out on is the long long in C99 and the thread-aware memory model in C11.
Neither are going to have meant much since long longs aren't required for 64bit (and N64 wasn't truly 64bit anyway), and games aren't very multithreaded (even nowadays).

MVG was able to get some quick performance boosts out of the decompile just by using a couple of updated compiler flags from right around/after the game came out, which is pretty wild to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

egg tats posted:

are they real grooming allegations or does she think trans kids should have rights? I have no idea who this is and the answer is going to shape how I laugh at this

edit: I tried looking through the replies but sadly since twitter blue subscribers are the most gormless idiots on the planet that's no longer worth doing

Real grooming allegations, unfortunately. = (

We aren't living in the darkest timeline, but I begining to think it really *is* the stupidest.

kayla says did a video on it, because she ( Kayla ) said she got obsessed with it and made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiH7KOZbWlQ

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
retro implies a design trend of the past that's being deliberately imitated. I think that the style of the original stalker is alive and well. we still have slavjank shooters with grim plots and unnecessarily convoluted storylines. one of them came out on gamepass this year.

ps2 graphics and n64 graphics are retro because they have a specific graphical style that came from their hardware limitations. It'd be hard to say what an xbox 360 (an almost 20 year old console) retro style game is because we basically have been looking at that era and saying "that, but higher res and more frames" for two decades.

on the other hand, the original World of Warcraft came out in 2004, and it definitely not only has a distinct graphical style but also a distinct pattern of play and engagement that you'd only make today if you were deliberately trying to recreate what was interesting about that game back in its early years. so maybe the half dozen failing-to-launch MMOs are retro

edit: or maybe WoW doesn't count either because many things have tried to copy its exact formula for 20 years, and all have failed. FFXIV definitely owes much of its design to WoW but also deliberately modernizes in a lot of ways.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 29, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like the Retronauts rule of using 10 years as a cutoff point when calling videogames retro.

This means in two years Bloodborne will be retro but eh what can you do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Impermanent posted:

oh no its xenoblade chronicles 2 all over again.

I don't know what that means but it sounds bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't know what that means but it sounds bad.

when it came out one of the big detracting points from people online was the main character's terrible english accent. it later turned out he just had an accurate northern english accent.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 29, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

YouTubers cannot be normal

While this is awful, I'm tempted to say we should see more ukulele-based grooming deflections. If only because it's such a horrendous concept that it leaves me wondering if I've finally died and entered my "eternal damnation in hell" phase of existence.

Srice posted:

This means in two years Bloodborne will be retro but eh what can you do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuqe6sre2I&hd=1

this showed up in my recommends and it's pretty good, I like the sheer scorn he has for dubai and UAE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Adam Something's videos are really good. Loves sensible urban planning that's pedestrian and bike friendly - it's the through-line in all his videos. He really, really hates American suburban planning and car culture.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Invictus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuqe6sre2I&hd=1

this showed up in my recommends and it's pretty good, I like the sheer scorn he has for dubai and UAE

Same vid was recommended to me earlier for some reason, I've already seen it but seems I wasn't subscribed so need to catch up. Plenty of scornful vids on Elon I know.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Why Do Japanese Games Handle Trans Characters so Differently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRrVkZoN93c

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

Just posting the new Cybershell video entirely for the ad-read bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdkWTbUkIQ

finally getting around to this and wanted to post that the ad-read slayed me only to notice you already mentioned that obviously

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1674191157755260928?t=25znVgd9HbCl5GsaP2NtRg&s=19

It's really depressing how stuff people do for fun or because it's their passion can end up hurting them professionally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1674191157755260928?t=25znVgd9HbCl5GsaP2NtRg&s=19

It's really depressing how stuff people do for fun or because it's their passion can end up hurting them professionally.

There's apparently been something of an outcry with people going 'how dare you imply I won't be hirable if I do fandubs' and voice actors are trying to tell them that it's not so much fandubs at the problem but it's attaching your real name and voice to them and then putting them online because companies really don't like them so don't think it's a ticket into the mainstream and in fact will probably block you from it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dawgstar posted:

There's apparently been something of an outcry with people going 'how dare you imply I won't be hirable if I do fandubs' and voice actors are trying to tell them that it's not so much fandubs at the problem but it's attaching your real name and voice to them and then putting them online because companies really don't like them so don't think it's a ticket into the mainstream and in fact will probably block you from it.

Japanese companies really hate it because fair use isn't a thing in japan so they hold a grudge against fan content they can't just take down.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Twincityhacker posted:

Real grooming allegations, unfortunately. = (

We aren't living in the darkest timeline, but I begining to think it really *is* the stupidest.

kayla says did a video on it, because she ( Kayla ) said she got obsessed with it and made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiH7KOZbWlQ

When she said that woman is like a Theater kid that never grew up and never learned healthy emotional outlets, or something, I really felt that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

When she said that woman is like a Theater kid that never grew up and never learned healthy emotional outlets, or something, I really felt that.

Just thinking about it makes me tired.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Why Do Japanese Games Handle Trans Characters so Differently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRrVkZoN93c

this person should've played and read some things by japanese trans people rather than writing so many words about freaking birdo imo. I was going to make a longer post but I looked at the comments so instead I'll say it's 25 minutes of this with interludes describing mario characters:

quote:

0:37 As trans person living in Taiwan, I disagreed, being trans may not be as controversial to a random stranger, but it is a huge deal for your parents and family, people have not issue with trans people existing except if they are their own children. Also the 2021 court ruling was for one person, last time I checked there's still not a procedure to change your gender without surgery,

Moon Channel posted:

It is very different in society than it is for family, due to in part ti Confucian values... but this is also generally the case, even in the West! Taiwan, in particular, I am very familiar with. And certainly, though Taiwan is further ahead societally than the rest of Asia, the situation for Trans people there is far, far from easy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Just thinking about it makes me tired.

There's several ways you grow from being a Theater Kid (granted, I'm generalizing)
1)You just kind of grow out of it
2)Realize that following your dream and honing your craft isn't really possible for various reasons, but you mature, grow up and still carry a song in your heart :yayclod: aka Me
3)Hone your craft and entire the industry in some capacity, whether it be small scale and local stuff, or big-time LA and New York stuff to varying degrees of "success". Also have song in heart.
4) burn out burn out burn out burn out burn out
5) Whatever this Colleen lady is doing

Motto posted:

this person should've played and read some things by japanese trans people rather than writing so many words about freaking birdo imo. I was going to make a longer post but I looked at the comments so instead I'll say it's 25 minutes of this with interludes describing mario characters:

His heart is in the right place but I feel like he has a pretty orientalist reading of these issues. I think he is vastly oversimplifying vast swathes of people and it comes off as pretty reductive. I get where he's coming from but he, uh, definitely could have picked better examples than "these two characters that are trans only because of localization errors"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I feel like if you make most of your youtube channel out of explaining how video games relate to the culture of one specific country, you should have a least a little expertise with that country.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

"Japan is different because of Confucian values" is a report I wrote in the 7th grade.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Happy Landfill posted:

"Japan is different because of Confucian values" is a report I wrote in the 7th grade.

I get that vibe from a lot of videos I’ve seen lately.

I’m guessing a lot of the people I used to watch now only post on nebula?

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Itty bitty creator finding his focus but this 2nd video on the cobra effect re:Netflix is alright, I liked it. The first one about AdBlock on YouTube also good

https://youtu.be/N42orJnGj8E

The tireless corporate march to enshittification

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

New moon channel vid was seeming very mid before I bounced off it at like 2-3min, felt like he was trying too hard to make the lightning strike again from the killing gods in jrpg vid or maybe just felt unwarranted confidence since that one blew up. Happens, his legal analysis where he shines anyways

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

MVG was able to get some quick performance boosts out of the decompile just by using a couple of updated compiler flags from right around/after the game came out, which is pretty wild to think about.
This might be more of a question of the compilers themselves producing more optimal code at the same optimization levels for reasons that have nothing to do with the optimization levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TLSBdHe1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g1Acy5eGbE

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Get out of here Civvie.

(Civvie playin' S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Not gonna lie, my heart skipped when I saw him shoot Fox. I've met people who do all sorts of stuff on that game, but not that!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Impermanent posted:

when it came out one of the big detracting points from people online was the main character's terrible english accent. it later turned out he just had an accurate northern english accent.
But the ludicrous and embarrassing amounts of sexualization, that was of course A Okay.

(The voice actors are a treasure forever anyway!)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rex’s accent was Welsh and people didn’t have a problem with it so much as with Al Weaver’s failure to emote, especially during hot-blooded scenes, which happened frequently. his battle cries were more like drawn out yawns

this turned out to be because all the English VA’s basically had to read their lines off a spreadsheet in one pass with no retakes

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It didn’t help that that was his first voice acting job, or at least the only one substantial enough to be included on imdb. A lot of studios make the mistake of thinking they can just stick any stage or TV actor in front of a microphone and get a good performance out of them, when voice acting is actually quite a distinct (and often underappreciated) skill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Rex’s accent was Welsh and people didn’t have a problem with it so much as with Al Weaver’s failure to emote, especially during hot-blooded scenes, which happened frequently. his battle cries were more like drawn out yawns

this turned out to be because all the English VA’s basically had to read their lines off a spreadsheet in one pass with no retakes

Yeah, I kinda bounced off XBC2 because the cast just didn't make me care. I didn't blame them really because it's the director - and video games have long had trouble getting good vocal directors - who says 'cut, print' but I got to the point where Rex's mentor figure died and context suggested he was upset about it but performance did not. I was told that was the emotional core of the game and nobody particularly came off as emotional.

If they had to work under those conditions I really can't blame them, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Still lol at the lady (who apparently has a cameo in wreck it Ralph 2) playing a ukelele saying "my lawyers told me not to talk but none of them said I couldn't sing"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

OJ turning his book into a one man band performance

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Miranda sings the 33 part hip hopera

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeafNote posted:

But the ludicrous and embarrassing amounts of sexualization, that was of course A Okay.

(The voice actors are a treasure forever anyway!)

the ludicrous sexualization was win, unlike the english voice acting, op

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Speaking about theater kids (sorta): The sponsor skits in Internet Comment Etiquette's videos have been getting more elaborate over time but this is a full-on production:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySqAvz0P2c

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

They call them english dubs when they are quite obviously L's

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dongicus posted:

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dongicus posted:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Looking at science communication via public perception of dinosaur extinction

https://youtu.be/6DHgkMYgp7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Still lol at the lady (who apparently has a cameo in wreck it Ralph 2) playing a ukelele saying "my lawyers told me not to talk but none of them said I couldn't sing"

That woman is totally deranged. Her actual defense is that she’s so lonely and pathetic that she craved the friendship and approval of 15-year-olds online. I think I believe that she didn’t do anything strictly sexual, but I absolutely believe that a kid could get totally hosed in the head and need therapy from some weird adult trying to get them to think she’s cool and on their level.

Like, how do you have contact with kids and not think, “hey maybe I should meet the parents and see what’s ok and not ok before involving this child in my affairs?”