Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frankly I never want to find out. I'd rather find out where the monkey torturers are so I can watch them getting their door kicked in and having a taste of the boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

The misses watched a report on that, genuinely grotesque. One of the most upsetting things I've ever seen.

It has been too long since I worked at a bank but if they don't give him a reason isn't that an indication that some department (not necessarily within the bank.) is investigating him?

Yeah that's why it is a criminal offence to give a reason.
Doesn't mean he's guilty, just someone thinks something suspicious.
It's happened to quite a lot of people esp foreigners - just regular people. Daily Heil Money section has reports from time to time. Been going on for ages.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

How do you even get into something like monkey torture groups? Like does someone mention it down the pub and you’re like Oo yeah that sounds fun? Do people actively seek it out? Like outside of the extremely grotesque and perverse nature of getting into something like that the logistics of how a person finds that path then decides to walk down it really do baffle me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmBAUyy7Go

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Frankly I never want to find out. I'd rather find out where the monkey torturers are so I can watch them getting their door kicked in and having a taste of the boots.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if the people of this country weren’t such horrible scum, then baying mobs would be a fantastic way to sort some things out. I can never really take pleasure in an arrest, but a baying mob ripping someone to bits? That I can get behind

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

How do you even get into something like monkey torture groups? Like does someone mention it down the pub and you’re like Oo yeah that sounds fun? Do people actively seek it out? Like outside of the extremely grotesque and perverse nature of getting into something like that the logistics of how a person finds that path then decides to walk down it really do baffle me

This is one of the ringleaders. Frankly, it would have been more of a surprise if he wasn't a semi-professional monkey torturer.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah that's why it is a criminal offence to give a reason.
Doesn't mean he's guilty, just someone thinks something suspicious.
It's happened to quite a lot of people esp foreigners - just regular people. Daily Heil Money section has reports from time to time. Been going on for ages.

The system that has flagged him could be automatic, in fact is probably quite likely to have been. He has worked in FS so he knows what all this is about, he's either just using it to stir or something dodgy has gone on and this is the start of the defense.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1674357026921623552?s=20

Thought he'd be in favour of it. They normally do it to people with suspicious transactions or foreigners or people wrongly flagged as deceased.
Doesn't he have a foreign passport now?

lol all the comments are mostly 'USE BITCOIN JOIN USSSSSS'.

His two kids are half German, they have German passports. It's still unclear if he has one.
Farage tried to get a business visa from Ireland, so he could travel the EU with no problem.
Ireland told him to gently caress off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Very similar to how people get into paedo rings, and according to some psychologists and investigators probably for similar sadistic reasons.

quote:

Agent Wolpert normally went after child sexual abuse gangs, and he wondered why the hell he was looking at a case about monkeys. “It was so out there,” Agent Wolpert recalled, shaking his head. “Like nothing I’d ever seen.” The more he looked at it though, the more it began to make sense. “It’s actually just like a child abuse investigation,” he said. “The groups, the secrecy, the way they vet people — it’s exactly the same.”

quote:

Mr Ape might have represented the best chance to shed some light on the unanswered question at the dark heart of the monkey torture world — the why. But no matter how long you spoke to him, he never seemed to be telling the full truth, only spinning some version of it. We consulted Dr Stacey Cecchet, a psychologist who is assisting US police with their monkey torture investigations, and she dismissed his claim that he had been simply trying to alleviate his own suffering. “Individuals like this have usually had these desires for a long time,” Dr Cecchet said.

quote:

The world of bespoke monkey torture was new to Dr Cecchet, but the elements were familiar, she said. It reminded her, like it reminded Agent Wolpert, of child abuse gangs. It was a world where sadists could “access what is most exciting to them, and not only access it but have it custom made,” she said. As for Mr Ape’s claim that he was an undercover agent, it was just an example of the “detail rich fantasy life” often lived by sadists. “They learn to live in this fantasy world,” she said.

This is also the reason why this never works out well in the long run (and short run too usually):

Jakabite posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if the people of this country weren’t such horrible scum, then baying mobs would be a fantastic way to sort some things out. I can never really take pleasure in an arrest, but a baying mob ripping someone to bits? That I can get behind

Like paedo rings and monkey torture telegrams, even in the best of societies lynch mobs don't attract the best people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I read about half of that BBC report and it made me physically ill for the last hour.

And I've read some pretty bad stuff like reports about human rights violation in the ME/Africa without trouble, but that's on another level entirely.

Seriously :nms:, very much do not recommend googling it. Like just horrifying poo poo. Worse than you can imagine.

e: As in, I was hungry but now can't bring myself to eat bad.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 29, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I can only assume these people are very genuinely mentally ill.

I know animal abusers tend to become serial killers so there's gotta be some pathology going on there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I only got a few paragraphs into the report before knowing I didn't need to know what was going on, just appreciated that Italian(?) woman who made it her sole job to track these fuckers down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seeing that guy with all the Trump/Nazi/loser (but I repeat &c) flags makes me wonder if there's an overlap between that and some of the more out there Qanon poo poo.

These people would absolutely eat kids if they were given that sort of power, so it makes sense that they'd project it onto whoever the conspiracy enemy of the week is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

I read about half of that BBC report and it made me physically ill for the last hour.

And I've read some pretty bad stuff like reports about human rights violation in the ME/Africa without trouble, but that's on another level entirely.

Seriously :nms:, very much do not recommend googling it. Like just horrifying poo poo. Worse than you can imagine.

e: As in, I was hungry but now can't bring myself to eat bad.

Yeah, I read the article & it was loving bleak & there was no chance in a million years would I then watch a documentary about it. Sooner smash myself in the junk with a hammer, & I don't intend doing that ever either.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Like paedo rings and monkey torture telegrams, even in the best of societies lynch mobs don't attract the best people.

This is true, but I dare say if someone chucked Johnson into the middle of Durham miners gala it could be fun?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
does anyone remember the gbs anonymous confession thread? there was a monkey torture confession in there that got a lot of traction from being so completely out there. I wrote it off as fiction at the time and now im feeling bad that it was probably real

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

This is true, but I dare say if someone chucked Johnson into the middle of Durham miners gala it could be fun?

Don't think Johnson would be quite that hated there.

Thatcher I dunno about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1674379065543872514

:discourse:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

For the love of god please stop discussing animal abuse.

Have a swan instead

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1674423865848786945?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

winegums posted:

So I'm looking for some help, regarding memes. I'm trying to explain pictorial memes to a group of people who know gently caress all about the internet, Twitter etc.

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside. Ones like Leo pointing at the screen or the roll safe meme aren't ideal as they kinda suggest something from the image itself.

Something like that picture of Baddiel in blackface people post whenever he decides he's the racism understander is probably a good example. But I'm looking for an example that's less contentious. Can anyone think of one?

this one is not less contentious. however,

it is the one I thought of immediately

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Have a swan instead

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1674423865848786945?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

It's are queen Liz come back from the grave! :britain:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Have a swan instead

trains delayed due to cygnet issue

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Dabir posted:

trains delayed due to cygnet issue

:golfclap:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

Have a swan instead

When I worked for a large unpopular rail infrastructure company we had the whole of our part of the network frozen up from swans on the line.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just run it over and say it looked like a goose

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

King Charles is the only person who is legally allowed to drive the train over the swan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also presumably liz truss if it is a reincarnation of the queen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Also presumably liz truss if it is a reincarnation of the queen.

This is true. You can't be found guilty of killing the same person twice.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

If you do not act the tram will hit the swan. If you pull the lever it will hit four human beings with a net worth <£1,000,000

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

This is true. You can't be found guilty of killing the same person twice.
Blair scrapped double jeopardy in direct contravention of the ECHR (one of only three countries in the Council of Europe to ignore that part) so I assume they can if they can find a DPP who hates you enough.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Deport it to Rswanda

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can explain memes by giving someone a copy of "The Selfish Gene" along with a printout of the best of Dick Dorkin's tweets.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1674478901249056769

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I don't think I've ever understood a single cold war steve picture

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I assume you know it's making fun of him claiming his bank accounts were shut for "no reason"?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was wondering why Coutts was trending on Twitter. (Apparently you have to have assets of at least £1 million to bank there. If that's why Farage had his account closed, then lol. If it's for something involving the police, then lol and, indeed, lmao.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they offer anything special for having a million quid or is it just sneering rights?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

I was wondering why Coutts was trending on Twitter.
I assumed it was about Farage but there was an autocorrect involved.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just been round my mums for a quick visit and she was watching Talk Tv with Piers Morgan. I've never really sat down and listened to him before and loving hell the man cannot argue a point. He has the debate skills of a twelve year old. He was talking to two anti monarchists and as soon as they proved one of his points wrong he just went "Oh you're just haters. You wake up in the morning thinking what do I hate and how can I destroy it?" It was pathetic, he's like a bully. I am more confused than ever before as to how he is on T.V., in any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

I don't think I've ever understood a single cold war steve picture

THANK YOU. They're all just overly-busy Jim'll Paint It knockoffs that slide right off my eyeballs, but all the comments are "you've done it again Steve". :smith:

bessantj posted:

It was pathetic, he's like a bully. I am more confused than ever before as to how he is on T.V., in any capacity.

Idiots love bullies, they think they're one of the bully's friends and not the victim.

Not calling your aul wan an idiot, I have no proof of that

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 29, 2023